Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
James Ape

Day Z, The Road with Zombies

3,888 posts in this topic

W00p!

Barbed wire you have to climb over, and you can remove it with a toolbox, tricky though i always found.

This is the best thread on rllmuk in ages. Awesome reports of the adventures you guys have been having, keep it up!! :)

Got it working thanks to that youtube link on the last page. Now getting kicked from every game because of something called battleeye script restriction #16. Having done some searching though this seems to be a problem quite a few people have been having.

Another thing, I've downloaded the latest versions of all the files including the ones that went up today, yet my character still starts with a gun. He surely shouldnt be?

Well it looks like there are numerous problems with the latest patch (e.g. zeds can still through walls) so that could well be one of them.

Another thing, I've downloaded the latest versions of all the files including the ones that went up today, yet my character still starts with a gun. He surely shouldnt be?

If you have died and respawned since 1.7.1 then you won't have the gun anymore (unless that is bugged). You'll still have your gear from before the patch if you are still alive.

Shall we arrange a time to go to the coast to throw bottles at the n00bs then? ;)

What a time to die... More details on that after this:

All who've PM'd me about posters, payment details will be sent in a few hours, and assuming all addresses/payments are recieved posters will go out Monday.

So yesterday, all in all, was a busy day. assembling a new bed, picking up wife from hospital, making sure she didn't do anything crazy like try and bend over to pick stuff up. Once she was safely tucked up in bed I logged in to DayZ to unwind a little. Rookie mistake.

The mumble server was quiet, so I logged in to a Dallas server and continued my trek north.

---

I'd forgotten where I was and despite having the map in front of me I forgot to mark my position. I'm hungry, thirsty and running low on ammunition. I'm desparate to find food and water but not sure I have the capability to stand more than a brief skirmish. I keep trekking through the forest and by accident I stumble onto a small cluster of tents in a clearing. Jackpot. I almost run blindly in, but something (probably common sense) tells me to err on the side of caution.

I don't see anyone in the clearing, but I run a long circle around the area, sweeping back and forth, and keeping low to the ground where possible. I eventually descend onto the camp from the higher ground and start to go through the tents. The first tent is disappointing. A lot of ammo but nothing for either of the weapons I have. No food, no drink. I move on to the second tent, but as I start to rifle through the contents there's a puff of dirt to my right and a shot rings out. I dive for the cover of the wood, zig-zagging back and forth until I get far enough away to turn around. Noone is following me. At this point I'm torn. I don't particularly want to get into a firefight with the owner of the camp, but my alternative was what.. starving? I wait for a while, scanning the tree line in front of me. Begrudgingly I start to make my way north once again. I soon reach an identifiable intersection of roads and after consulting the map it sinks in... there is nothing near me. No settlements, no known quantities. I have to head back to the camp. I retrace my footsteps, and circle the camp once more, wider circles this time. I'd call myself paranoid, but guns generally speaking don't aim and fire themselves. I eventually descend into camp once more, and heading back to where I was interrupted. Sadly it seems to be more of the same... Ammo for weapons I don't have and empty water canteens. Somewhat downheartened I move on to the third tent. It's empty apart from 2 cans of beans, a can of coke and 4 rounds for my Winchester. I grab what I need and bolt for the treeline, running hard and continuing north until I think I'm a safe distant. The beans and coke replenish my health and the world seems a little brighter.

I continue North, avoiding most all encounters, Undead or otherwise, until I reach the outskirts of Gorka. This is where things start to go wrong.

I eyeball what looks to be a trio of barns. At this point hunger is gnawing again as is thirst. I run the perimeter of the town and make it into the first barn with no real issue, and only two Z following me. They're quickly dispatched and I start to scour the long building. A can of sardines is quickly devoured but nothing can be found to help my thirst. A set of compound crossbows are there and foolishly I pick one up. My Winchester disappears and I'm unable to recover it. A nearby Z has been attracted by my movements and I attempt to dispatch him with the crossbow. It feels ungainly and my aim is off. Out of frustration I put him down with a few rounds from my handgun. For now at least this silent weapon with its retrievable rounds is not for me.

I bolt for the second barn, but it's empty. The third is also empty. At this point I've attracted a little bit of local undead attention. Like a desparate pied piper I run through the town until I see another barn. diving through the door and up the stairs the army of the undead follow me in, I kneel, aim and start to take them down. The kills and headshots mount up, but they keep coming. I move slightly to get a better vantage point and that's where it goes wrong. Do I slip? Do I fall? I don't know. But I do know that I'm being chewed on and I can't do anything to defend myself. Eventually consciousness reels it's ugly head and two headshots later I'm bandaging myself up. I have so little blood I'm waving at hallucinations and screaming to myself. More Z's come and between bouts of unconsciousness I take them down.

A respite from the attack, I scour the barn. No food, no drink, no blood. Nothing to help me. An inhuman yell rings out, and more Z appear at the doors. I start to take them down but they're all runners and they pile up the stairs. I pass out, but before I can fight my way back to consciousness one of them reaches me. Death follows.

---

So I guess I get to respawn later with no gun but more chance of avoiding them. Fun fun fun.

Well my first impression of the zombie changes in the latest patch is that they are still easy enough to navigate around as long as you don't go running around like an idiot however if you do aggro them they can be very dangerous. One strike hit my unconscious at one point this afternoon. Other things: very low FPS on lots of servers.

And the dark on the new Arma2 beta is DARK.

Mamma's Boy and myself continued our adventures earlier and let me tell you, the new patch changes things. If you want to get past zombies undetected anymore, you have to crawl. Their vision is now too good to risk a crouch-walk, even at what seems like a safe distance.

We saw a barn on the horizon and decided to search it, saw a couple of zombies but took advantage of their new line of sight to sneak past under cover of hay piles. Found some weapons in the barn and decided to check a nearby shack, crawled up to the shack when a zombie walked out of it. Yep, they now spawn inside buildings. We both raced back into the barn to set up a killzone and took out about nine zoms as they piled in, should buy us some breathing room. Nope. Just as many zombies again had spawned outside, MB went for the shack and, amusingly, the same zombie spawned and walked out of it to attack him. Back in the barn, another load of murdering. The only way out was to crawl and that was extremely tense.

I can see how this is going to change things. Surviving by yourself is now extremely difficult, meaning lone griefers will have a tough time of it. I can only imagine how slow and methodical you'll have to be in getting weapons and supplies from a town. We saw one and whereas before we would've popped in as a matter of course decided to steer well away until we were desperate for supplies. Not sure if the heartbeat marker is working yet as we couldn't hear one off each other, but maybe it's only when you kill other players that you start to develop a heartbeat at all.

The loot and zombie spawn timer isn't working, hence the FPS issues for some people and the billions of zombies. I tried a new mechanism for this update, it works with small numbers of players but stops with large numbers.

Likely be a hotfix, not within 24 hours, but definitely within 48 hours.

DayZ forums are just filled with butt-hurt morons crying tears of unfairness.

Hundreds of people just posting 'I spawn without a gun!? Bullshit' It's quite clear that people aren't really capable of evading the zombies and relied before on more shooting because they're getting ravaged.

There also seems to be an issue with the ray tracing, rocket mentioned it isn't working in the buildings at the moment and because of that the zombies can still attack through walls.

Finally, saw this bit on info posted so thought I'd mention it here for people struggling with running the game:-

"Actually, try increasing some of the settings. If you set them all to low, everything is offloaded on the CPU. ArmA is a very CPU intensive game so it will quickly bottleneck. Try setting everything to normal, and set the shadows to disabled or high. Also v-sync as suggested."

I also liked this post by rocket:-

"RE: Pending Update 1.7.1 Details

You guys are all talk now.

But starting without a weapon, it's fucking hard. But it's badass. Let's see how long till the butt hurt."

No gun? That's fucking awesome! Might be worth an update just to see how funny it is.

I've updated to the new patch through their "recommended" 6 updated suite and am now a weird problem where the world isn't loading... :hmm: I just spawn into completely clear hillsides where a handful of other players are either not moving or laying dead.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Hmm sure cheeko said the updater is shit.

Sounds like your in the debug forest make sure you on a server that matches ur version. Maybe try a different one ?

I also liked this post by rocket:-

"RE: Pending Update 1.7.1 Details

You guys are all talk now.

But starting without a weapon, it's fucking hard. But it's badass. Let's see how long till the butt hurt."

Rocket hit the nail on the head. The changes have ripped people back out of their comfort zones and its pretty funny to read. For example...

"1.7.1 really destroyed my experience. I can no longer walk through towns without being afraid of losing all my gear even though theres only a few zombies.

I loved how in the older patches the game wasn't all about killing zombies, it was about PvP and survival with zombies being an extra aspect to it".

I really regret not sticking to my guns (literally) and keeping a crossbow in my backpack, I had to abandon my car mission as there was no way to get near it earlier but taking out 2 or 3 probably would've been enough.

I love it though, when they fix the problems with being spotted and attacked through walls we're golden(I suspect the zombie alertness will go down one step too).

That shitey crossbow just became a WHOLE lot more important. Need an iron sight fitted to it though. Even the nerf crossbow I have has one and it is a BITCH to fire accurate without it!

I must have spent a good 2 hours reading the wet and soppy posts from all the disgruntled Day Z players last night. It was so funny. I think the game has finally shifted in a direction which makes any person playing it like it was COD tremble. That type of play is just not going to work.

I got knocked out with one Mike Tyson left hook yesterday, if it wasn’t for the swift medical skills of Garibaldi my zombie count would be back to 0. It's like they have all been fed steroids!

So much butthurt....i just hope it drives idiot players who are only in the game to pvp away.

I just gave the new patch a bash this morning, first thing i found, a sweet ass double barrel shotgun!

Oh nice :) I havn't seen one yet. I do have a spiffing AK Kobra though :)

Its not a zombie game without a Boomstick is it :) Of course in Dayz they will eat your face off and break your legs while your reloading it but hey.

I had a lovely AK Kobra too, on my longest ever life, until some arsehole killed me for no real reason :(

Im thinking i might just stick to a secluded forest area for now as ive got all i need, matches and a hatchet for making campfires, decent weapons, i can live off the land for now!

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=14461

Just rambling from me (sorry I couldn't namecheck the insanity idea, couldn't remember who said it):

Authenticity vs Realism and some feature suggestions.

There's a lot of talk about DayZ (and Arma2) being as realistic as possible. Although I admire the efforts of BI to create such a game (A2), the complete translation of that approach shouldn't be applied to a Zombie apocalypse game, for a number of reasons:

1. There's zombies.

2. The game will and has attracted a slightly different crowd to that of the pure military sim of Arma 2.

3. The game will never be able to give a truly authentic representation of of zombie apocalypse due to it's inherent restrictions of being a game.

4. It IS a game (and therefore should have mechanics to make it enjoyable and fun - THIS DOES NOT MEAN MAKING IT EASY).

5. The behaviour engendered in any game will never truly reflect real life because you have the opportunity to restart (the weight and moral decision of taking a virtual life as opposed to taking a real life one).

The first and foremost thing that this leads me to is banditry and some ideas of handling it in game. All game mechanics are built around a risk/reward scenario, the higher the risk the higher the gain. This is both emergent and structured in DayZ. Structered by certain areas having more zombies, but higher grade loot (military camps). Emergent by new players searching for loot in the cities and being picked off by snipers, or more organised survivor groups in the north being harrassed by bandit/raider groups. This should never change, only get refined. But I'd like and I think this is the direction Rocket is taking it, in that new features should be authentic, but not realistic at the cost of gameplay.

First off, I love the idea of the heartbeat proximity alarm of detecting low humanity bandits right now. I have yet to experience that, but it's a very nice method of not overtly giving away how wary to be of someone. I think Rocket has suggested a splash of blood on the face, or a tremor in the character model even to give some minor visual alerts. Great! So the more experienced survivors get to slowly become accustomed to the tellers of bandits. Akin to films like The Book of Eli (tremors in cannibals) and 28 Days Later (the behavious and social appearance of the soldiers). But I believe there should be some effect on the bandit themselves, not to ruin the game but only to give a more authentic feel to the heavy decision of taking a life. For instance the heartbeat detection is all good, but when a bandit/s are hidden waiting to snipe thier prey, this has now risk effect on them.

So here's some ideas:

- Sweaty palms, irregular breathing. When a bandit aims at a survivor with high humanity, maybe thier gun could waver a little more, their breathing become audible?

- Modification of the humanity scoring system, a lot of people get annoyed about shooting someone shooting them only to lose humanity in self defence. A first shot protocol could be introduced, where if you shoot at or within 2m of a survivor, then your humanity is lowered a small amount immediately and you become a freefire target for a certain amount of time (not huge as it is nice to put warning shots near lone players to get them to scare them off without killing).

- Ability to drop guns and weapons quickly and raise hands above your head, one of the best videos we've all seen was the stick up video right near the beginning of DayZ public alpha. Perhaps (and it's a big maybe) if Bandits knew they could hold players up without having to kill them, then we might see some really fun and exciting situations emerge. I guess a more obvious and less armed salute?

- Someone on a forum I post on (rllmuk) suggested an insanity scale related to humanity, which is a good idea. The more lives you take the greater the mental weight, the greater the chance of missing the shot, of the screen having some effects. Perhaps at the peak, you could start making zombies appear as survivors so the bandits don't know who to shoot. But I'd also like to suggest that with constant PK'ing, maybe you come out the other side, become desensitized to all the murders, vision clears, aim steadies from previous effects. But at this point, you face is covered in blood and heartbeats are very audible? Maybe even have the bandit murmuring to themselves to reflect some part of them is broken psychologically?

I certainly don't want to stop people killing players if that's how they choose to survive, but I'd like to add some gameplay mechanics around it, so it too has a defined and emergent risk/reward system. Saying that more powerful and more attentive zombies will help.

Couple of other more general suggestions:

- Considering the backlash from certain more vocal elements of the community to 1.7.1, perhaps selecting a numbers of server to trial new patches with a separate central db? There are many of us able to give reasoned and focussed feedback which I worry gets swamped in the more extreme views of the forum? And it would lessen the requirement (and uproar) when hotfixes are needed or new features or refinements required. I'd be happy on either side of the fence, testing the new stuff and feeding back, or playing with a more stable version for longer in public!

- If a player is ill and they die of whatever cause, can we have some kind of count down initiated to turn that ex-survivor into a zombie? I think it would an interesting twist on the looting of corpses if you're never sure of a survivors health. Perhaps hiding/burying the body stops this from happening?

- Stamina/out of breath status. We all do cross country running right? You have to pace yourself if you going to do the whole thing without stopping. If you're sprinting full pace (ie: away from a threat) then you're going to need to take a breather. This introduces and reinforces the idea of breaking line of sight and shelter even more important.

- Melee, I know this is a overly done suggestion, but a melee system tied to a stamina system could work. Don't know if the engine could handle such a system. But at least the ability to push a zombie over, giving you the opportunity to break line of sight and sneak away. Has become increasingly noticable void with the lack of starter weapon.

Oh also, I was wondering if we could introduce headset required servers?

One of the things I love about this game is the social aspect. But so much can happen in the time it takes to write, are you a friendly in the barn?

Perhaps if some servers disabled all global chat channel, and DC had different levels of range (shout=40m, talk=20m, whisper=3m) then it would encourage more social interaction in game rather than either mumble/teamspeak groups (thus isolating more people from other groups) or typing (time differential).

Dunno if that would work or not. Especially as I seem to have trouble with my 360 controller headset being picked up in arma2!

One thing ive thought might be a good inclusion would be that theres maybe like a 1/10, or 1/20 chance that if you get hit by a zombie you contract the z virus. You now have maybe a couple of in-game days to make it to one of the bigger city hospitals to get treatment before it kills you. Not a big deal if youre only jsut starting but would be pretty cool if youd survived ages and had good loot, youd be forced to take a trek into the lions den in cherno or elektro to look for meds, with hilarious results

You think there would be a global apocalypse if they could treat it ? :) The players are the naturally immune innit.

You think there would be a global apocalypse if they could treat it ? :) The players are the naturally immune innit.

Prevention, not cure! ;) You get bitten and you can cure it in time...obviously this is a new development only just discovered because VIDEOGAME LOGIC :lol: