• Announcements

• TehStu

iPhone users: please read this   02/10/16

The burger menu may be missing from the top right of the forum when viewing on an iPhone. Until resolved, here is the direct url to the login page.  
    • TehStu

ALL spoilers are currently visible   02/10/16

As posts have not yet been rebuilt, all spoilers are currently visible. If you're following something (film/game) and want to avoid spoilers, AVOID the relevant thread until the post rebuild is complete. I'll delete this announcement when it's done.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
James Ape

Day Z, The Road with Zombies

3888 posts in this topic

[quote name='lolspork' timestamp='1338899167' post='8646408']
Jump onto the mumble server to find us

Server 85.236.100.59
Port 30662

There are a few of us on at the moment.
[/quote]

I died as well, after a few days. After being lost in the woods for ages and just about surviving on beans, I found my way back to the coast and headed north. I found my way to what I think might have been Cherno. It was a huge place, with a kind of industrial area, and a church that backed onto a square with a statue of three soldiers. I headed in, thinking I'd be safe in the dark. I climbed a drainpipe up to the roof of the church, where I found an M1911 (I found an AK once in a previous life but only fired it once before getting swarmed - otherwise this was my first non-Makarov weapon!). I also found loads of beans and soda, and took as much as I could carry. I also found a compass, a torch and a watch up there. I was especially excited about the compass, as it seemed the first step towards a future not spent running around in circles in the woods.

I spent a few minutes up there, having a look around, when someone on text-chat said he was in Cherno and friendly. I said I thought I was too, and we agreed not to shoot each other if we happened to see each other. I thought about going back to the safety of the treeline with my bag full of food and my new compass, but greed got the better of me. I decided that it was safe enough to go looking for a rifle and a map, so I climbed down crawled into a restaurant across the square. I groped around in there for a few seconds when I heard footsteps outside. I was struggling to tell where they were coming from, so just aimed at the doorway and waited. After about 30 seconds, a survivor crouch-walked in, less than six feet from me. Having somehow not seen me, he walked a few feet further and was looking on the floor with his back to me. I could have shot him in the back of the head, but I froze. A couple of seconds later I typed out "friendly". Just as I pressed Return, he turned around and shot me in the face. It was the guy who had agreed not to shoot me earlier. He immediately started apologising, saying that I spooked him, and offered to give me some good loot if I respawned in Cherno. I didn't. I'm back to having a Makarov and no idea where I am.

I could have killed him without him ever seeing me. He told me that I probably should have. Next time I probably will.

Another survivor learns the lesson :)

Soon you will have a soul as black as mine.

Did you really climb up a drainpipe ?

[quote name='lolspork' timestamp='1339010039' post='8650498']
[/quote]

How do I search via address or port instead of chatroom name?

You want to add the server manually in mumble.

Click Connect and then Add New and put the details in the window that pops up.

So I did "The Running Man" earlier - spawning in Kamenka I ran past and aggro'd every zed I could find, passing through Kamarovo and Balota, up to the airfield and past the medical tents (I saw one guy inside there watching me run circles around it for a few laps) before heading into Cherno. Typically the one time I want to bump into other players I can't find any so with around forty zeds in pursuit I end up running into the fire station and up the stairs. I asked over direct chat if anyone could help me at the fire station in the hope that someone could at least come, watch and be amused by the onslaught. I heard some footsteps on the ladder outside and saw a guy on the roof. I think he threw a smoke grenade. I shot a couple of zeds that had made it up the stairs, threw a frag grenade down and then sat back waiting for death. Amusingly though the rest of them apparently killed themselves trying to get up the stairs :lol: When all the groaning and grunting stopped, the guy outside was dead (*cough* what? I was bored and had to shoot [i]something[/i] *cough*) so I went out to loot his body. he didn't have much so I dived off the edge of the building to my death.

Also last night I dreamt that I was running around a building in a real life gun battle with bandits. One of them that I killed and looted was Sandi Toksvig :lol:

Ha, it's a passing behaviour hopefully!

A new server update that fixes vehicle spawning is scheduled for tonight.

[quote name='Strategos' timestamp='1339011727' post='8650563']
Did you really climb up a drainpipe ?
[/quote]
Yeah. I was creeping round and suddenly the green arrow appeared. I couldn't see a ladder, and eventually just pressed Enter out of curiosity. It was the same animation as climbing a ladder, but it was a light-coloured pole in the middle and my hands gripping non-existent rungs on either side...
I'm starting to think it may have been Elektro, because I've just found a map and am currently sat on a different roof looking at cranes on a dock. As far as I can tell by the map, only Elektro and Cherno have docks like this, and this place looks different. It's dark though, so I don't know. I have an Enfield as well now, and I'm scared of losing both so I logged off :(

We have a tractor parked at base camp lol found by Spork.

We found another one later but I drove it into a tree and it blew up lol. Least we know what happens when you damage vehicles too much! Be warned!

So tonight we found two tractors. Got one back to base and Strategos crashed the other causing it to explode in a big ball of fire.

Ultimate tractor apocalypse sim is go!

edit: beaten to it!

i couldnt stay away for long. So glad i came back

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLxhUjed7lU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLxhUjed7lU[/url]

This happened after picking up a new outfit :lol:

[url="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/pc-games/e3-2012-dayz-from-the-showroom-floor/?utm_campaign=PC%20Game%20News&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter"]http://www.gamebreaker.tv/pc-games/e3-2012-dayz-from-the-showroom-floor/?utm_campaign=PC%20Game%20News&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter[/url]

Theres some really interesting, exciting stuff in here.

Highlights for TLDL:

1: Dayz being packaged up into a "game" and being sold cheap ala Portal.
2: The game getting one massive server like EVE online to handle huge numbers of players.
3: The map being made bigger.
4: All buildings being enter-able.
5: Possibly becoming like EVE online in that it has one giant world with everyone on it.

:omg:

Well I just asked in the DayZ irc whether toolboxes are spawning again now that vehicles are. Got told that they are no longer required!

Also while heading south from where we logged off last night I just saw two boats heading north up the river past Berezino. Holy crap!

Man I can't wait till Pedro gets to scavenge and survive again, new patches, new camp and new vehicles. But alas not this week. Too much work :(

Also, if it were a GIANT world ala EVE then maybe it'd be alright. But even the 50 man servers are too populated for my liking of a Zombie apocalypse.

[quote name='BrerLappin' timestamp='1339060198' post='8651644']
i couldnt stay away for long. So glad i came back

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLxhUjed7lU[/media]

This happened after picking up a new outfit :lol:
[/quote]

Brer, how evil are you?! New spawn yet still the evillest face I have seen. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE...

It'll be fascinating to watch this develop, it's going to change a lot, and there's a lot of discussion about packaging it up and making it an MMO and whatnot but if that happens then Rocket's 'anti-game' approach and the constant adjusting of game rules won't really wash with people who're going to flood in and be all like WTF!? why is this happening, this isn't how it was when I paid up?

[quote name='Forsaken' timestamp='1339064920' post='8651799']
Brer, how evil are you?! New spawn yet still the evillest face I have seen. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE...
[/quote]

apparently i picked up the worlds evillest outfit.....camo!!!

Just got killed for my sweet makarov and awesome beans...jesus christ. Getting tired of this now...again.