• Please log in to reply
3886 replies to this topic

#1 James Ape

James Ape
  • Members
  • 2579 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:14 AM

POPULAR

I have already posted this in the Arma II thread, but maybe it deserves more attention

Day Z is a mod for Arma II, the blurb from http://www.dayzmod.com/ is :
"Welcome to Chernarus. A 225 km2 open world post-soviet state and one of the areas hit by a new and presently unknown infection which has wiped out most of the world's population. You are one of the few who have survived and now you must search this new wasteland in order to fight for your life against what is left of the indigenous population, now infected with the disease."

There is permanent death, you need to eat and drink to survive and from what i have seen other human players seem to be more dangerous than the zombies. Though there are a few videos of people teaming up. The map is synched to the server's local time, which is quite cool, so play at night and the world will be pitch black unless you have a flashlight or flares, The whole experience does seem very intense, especially at night. There are already a few interesting videos of this on youtube.

This guy explains the basic system, but he's mostly playing without meeting other players
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOB7YGgREFg

installation guide here: http://forums.someth...40&pagenumber=1
And make sure battleye installs properly, you can manually get the latest DLLs for it here : http://forums.bistud...l=1#post1700827

Mumble server details:

Apple crumble
L - whatever
A - 85.236.100.59
P - 30662
U - whatever

Edited by Robbo, 05 September 2012 - 10:51 PM.
adding mumble details

#2 JPickford

JPickford
  • Members
  • 50210 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:15 AM

POPULAR

About time someone made a zombie game.

#3 James Ape

James Ape
  • Members
  • 2579 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:20 AM

Yeah, it's not the most original of ideas but the game does look very good. I guess it's not really about the zombies, most of the interesting videos are to do with encounters with other players.

like this guy getting mugged :)

It seems to have given Arma a bit of a boost in the steam charts too.

#4 Pedro de las Montagnes

Pedro de las Montagnes
  • Members
  • 1199 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:52 AM

that does actually look like fun, but I dont own and have never played arma, so might wait for the mod to not be an alpha before I dump some cash on it.

#5 Mammas_Boy

Mammas_Boy
  • Members
  • 1482 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

Oh wow, would I be able to get this for Mac?

#6 James Ape

James Ape
  • Members
  • 2579 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

maybe on bootcamp? I don't think Arma runs on mac natively.

#7 Mammas_Boy

Mammas_Boy
  • Members
  • 1482 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:45 PM

Damn. This is right up my street too. I've spent a good hour on Youtube watching the adventures of a few players.

The thing that excites me most about this is trust, it seems to be the achilles heel of the game.

#8 dogsout

dogsout
  • Moderators
  • 8158 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:47 PM

like this guy getting mugged :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSWRfI4SkWc&feature=related

That is hilarious! The way they do it all professionally, sneaking up on him like that and firing a warning shot, while the guy on the mic is calmly telling the victim "lay down, put the gun down, we are not friendly". But at the same time one of them is typing "DROP BOTH GUNS NOW, THIS IS A FUCKING HOLD UP, DROP THE GUNS OR DIE". Brilliant.

#9 spork

spork
  • Supporters
  • 4630 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:52 PM

This looks interesting. Is it worth buying Arma II for? It seems you need one of the expansions too (Base game + Operation Arrowhead or packaged together in the Combined Ops pack?) so you're looking at £20 for it on Gamersgate or £25 on Steam. Is it available cheaper anywhere else?

#10 Mammas_Boy

Mammas_Boy
  • Members
  • 1482 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:42 PM

Good question. I need to work out how much it will cost me to set up. I'm not arsed about the actual Arma game, just this mod.

Now I need to workout how to do this bootcamp thingie. I'm such a shit geek.

#11 ghosted

ghosted
  • Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:11 PM

These guys have done a nice little group expedition. It seems almost staged at times but there's some comedy moments - sometimes due to the horribly shonky game engine and other times just due to the magic of multi-player.

#12 Radish

Radish
  • Members
  • 2391 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:32 PM

Not entirely convinced by the first video - one shot to any part of the body kills a zombie? With a pistol? For what I imagine to be a more hardcore game (permadeath) that's just odd.

It's a shame it's on Arma 2, I don't know what other game engine they could have used but I'm not spending that much money for something that has potential to be incredibly awesome while looking a bit ropey :(

#13 mr_woo

mr_woo
  • Members
  • 8767 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:39 PM

This part impressed me. It has a few lone survivors rooting through buildings and the way they handle coming across other people etc as you never know who can kill you/turn on you. I completely understand why they would use the ARMA engine, regardless of how well it runs there's a certain realism to the character movement etc it suits it really well.

#14 James Ape

James Ape
  • Members
  • 2579 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:21 PM

Not entirely convinced by the first video - one shot to any part of the body kills a zombie? With a pistol? For what I imagine to be a more hardcore game (permadeath) that's just odd.

It's a shame it's on Arma 2, I don't know what other game engine they could have used but I'm not spending that much money for something that has potential to be incredibly awesome while looking a bit ropey :(

It is still in Alpha so the zombie hit areas may be fixed.

Also Arma 3 is out this year maybe it will get ported to that. I think Arma 2 is very beautiful if you have the right machine to run it, I can understand why it was used because of the environments but the weakest link is definitely the characters and animation, apparently animation is getting an overhaul for Arma 3.

I'm gonna DL and try this later on today and i'll write some impressions on it later.

#15 dogsout

dogsout
  • Moderators
  • 8158 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:27 PM

Make sure you post some videos of you getting jacked. I'm not sure why but I am still amazed by the robbery video. :lol:

#16 James Ape

James Ape
  • Members
  • 2579 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:16 AM

well, that was intense :)

For my first game I spawned into a pitch black coastline, I put a flare down as i couldn't see anything at all walked off towards the outline of some buildings in the distance and put another flare down and got swarmed by zombies.

My second game was much better, it started in day time and I quickly spotted a bandit in the nearest town. I decided to investigate as I had just spawned and it would be no big loss if I died. Several minutes of crawling through the tall grass later I arrived and started to slowly made my way from building to building trying to spot him again without any luck, though perhaps that was for the best. I did however find some food and after this I decided to follow the railroad to the next town and try and find some friendly people. On the way there a single helicopter flew overhead and I decided it was maybe best to walk through the forest rather than out in the open by the track. I spotted some guy who wasn't marked as a bandit near a pier on the far side of a field filled with zombies and was careful to not alert them as I made my way to him but he didn't trust me enough to stick around and legged it. I searched the port, got chased by an ape zombie, killed a bandit (who I guess thought he was in a safe place checking his inventory) and found some good loot in the nearest town : food, drinks, various shells (though i don't have the right gun for them) pain killers and a watch. Now i can look on the internet to find out how to know where north is based on the time and the position of the sun. I went and hid in a safe place and left the server as I was getting nervous now that I had a few useful things. It's pretty nerve racking most of the time.

#17 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 17453 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

The 'Days Ahead' videos are excellent - the way they start out with such a big group and ending up completely scattered and most probably dead. It develops brilliantly, and is really goddamn funny at times (especially when they're fucked over by the shonkiness of ArmA2, like being defeated by a door that refuses to open :D).

#18 spork

spork
  • Supporters
  • 4630 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

Well I obviously have more money than sense and have just bought Arma II Combined so I can play this mod :ph34r: http://forums.someth...id=0&perpage=40 this thread was the clinching deal.

Downloading right now so will hopefully be ready by the time I get home at about 7.30 later tonight. Any other mukkers likely to be getting involved? Would be nice to not have to run about on my lonesome :)

#19 spork

spork
  • Supporters
  • 4630 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

POPULAR

A group of 5 or 6 players head into a small village for supplies and get overrun by a large horde of zombies. They all flee back but then the group get separated. The two who get away are then left running for their lives with no ammo.

Amazing :omg:

#20 Pedro de las Montagnes

Pedro de las Montagnes
  • Members
  • 1199 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

every video I see of this makes me want it so much more! Must hold out for a deal!

#21 Pedro de las Montagnes

Pedro de las Montagnes
  • Members
  • 1199 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

Well for those of you interested Combined Ops is available for £20.27 from bohemia: https://store.bistud...ined-operations

#22 James Ape

James Ape
  • Members
  • 2579 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

I seems this is made by someone at Bohemia Interactive, so maybe it will be in Arma 3 afterall :)

#23 PK.

PK.
  • Members
  • 5533 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

This looks so good

#24 K

K
  • Members
  • 21297 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:23 PM

I’m kind of amazed that this game hasn’t been made already to be honest, as surely this is one of the most appealing things about zombie films – the idea of being alone in an empty, abandoned world? Pretty much all zombie games are either very linear (Left 4 Dead, Resident Evil) or take place in a small, self-contained area (Dead Rising, that rubbish tropical island thing).

The idea of being able to explore a city or a wilderness area is incredibly compelling, and I’m slightly surprised that nobody’s tried to do this with a zombie game, given how many free-roaming games there’ve been this gen, like Prototype, Infamous, Assassin’s Creed, GTA, Crackdown, Stalker, Operation Flashpoint, etc etc

#25 boomeh

boomeh
  • Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:26 PM

@lolspork that was an amazing vid!

"They're dead, they killed them...they're all dead!"

Spoiler

Zombie heaven ^_^

#26 The Count

The Count
  • Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

Yeah, I always imagined that a halfway decent multiplayer game based on something like the I Am Legend movie could have been massive for one of the big publishers. Having a stark, empty New York to cautiously explore could be much more exciting than the usual alien-shooting and rooftop-running business. Getting into a vehicle (assuming you find a working one) would only be an option when you either have no choice but to get the hell away or when you need to risk attracting some attention even though you know it won't end well.

#27 CouldBeWorse

CouldBeWorse
  • Members
  • 5476 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:57 PM

This is my dream game.

#28 Lag

Lag
  • Supporters
  • 6958 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:06 PM

[video]

A group of 5 or 6 players head into a small village for supplies and get overrun by a large horde of zombies. They all flee back but then the group get separated. The two who get away are then left running for their lives with no ammo.

Amazing :omg:

"Run. Run! RUN!" :omg:

That's great.

I really like the immersion provided by that microphone mode.

#29 BrerLappin

BrerLappin
  • Members
  • 6646 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:09 PM

ive reinstalled arma2 and already have OA on steam. Think i have to link the two or summat first tho, and install the mod files.

#30 Lag

Lag
  • Supporters
  • 6958 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

watch from 9m10s at least.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sie, Google (1)