3DS Platformer

• Please log in to reply
540 replies to this topic

#91 NEG

NEG
  • Members
  • 9029 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

Last time I checked, Kirby was the only Nintendo franchise to be heavily experimented with. Sure a lot of elements carry over, but to call it as stale as the Mario series is pretty much an insult.

Stale is not a word I used, and I'm not sure what word would be the right word. Backdrop? Using the same backdrop gets to be a bit blah. (and I absolutely love/adore Canvas Curse, which was my first proper Kirby, its when I then went and played other Kirby's that I noticed the problem, to me, of course.)

edit: It's different for Mario Kart for example because although every title has to have a Rainbow Road/Bowser Castle/Mario Raceway, they're all stylistically different enough to feel fresh/new each time. (haven't played 7 yet though) Also see: Sonic 16bit series zones from title to title.

#92 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:44 AM

Game to be sold as digital download as well as retail

http://andriasang.co...iwata_briefing/

#93 SPE

SPE
  • Members
  • 4329 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:04 AM

I beat you to this news in the 3DS thread!

The other nugget of info from the investor briefing is that NSMB2 is also going to be a WiiU launch title.

#94 HarMGM

HarMGM
  • Members
  • 1649 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:04 AM

SPE, I've read trough the entire briefing and nowhere is that mentioned. The only thing that comes close to what you're saying is that Iwata want's a Wii Sport equivalent at launch for the WiiU. That's it.

#95 SPE

SPE
  • Members
  • 4329 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:23 AM

Yeah, I think I've fucked up. It was mentioned on GAF, but I think that was mis-interpretation of the WiiU getting retail/digital games from launch.

#96 HarMGM

HarMGM
  • Members
  • 1649 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:41 AM

Ah there we go. These things tend to happen. Sorry about being such a dick about it SPE.

#97 Napole0n

Napole0n
  • Supporters
  • 66076 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

Game to be sold as digital download as well as retail

http://andriasang.co...iwata_briefing/

Nice, it's so much better to have a download version on the machine at all times instead of fiddling around with carts. Hopefully they'll do the same with Luigi's Mansion 2. Speaking of LM2: where the hell is it? Where's the releasedate? I don't hope it'll be Q4, but it starts to look like it.

#98 scottcr

scottcr
  • Supporters
  • 31457 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:22 AM

I want some download stuff retrospectively. I'd love MK7, SM3D, RE:R and KI always available - but I doubt we'll get that without having to buy them all again.

#99 Napole0n

Napole0n
  • Supporters
  • 66076 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:28 AM

We'll have to wait for the 3DS to be hacked for that probably. Nintendo did well on the security this time round though, over a year and it still isn't broken!

#100 Massive Invisible Dog

Massive Invisible Dog
  • Members
  • 16175 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:59 AM

Anyone who buys digital download versions of retail games before they've worked out some sort of account based system rather than downloads being locked to one console is mad. I can't imagine that they haven't thought of this, so hopefully that means they'll be announcing something at E3.

#101 Jarik

Jarik
  • Members
  • 4584 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:01 AM

We'll have to wait for the 3DS to be hacked for that probably. Nintendo did well on the security this time round though, over a year and it still isn't broken!

I would love to have 3DS games stored in the device like with the Vita, but it would have to be official as I wouldn't want to give up all the stuff I already have on the system menu & go back to the Firmware arms race.

I don't think Nintendo will do it until they're forced to by the rest of the market though, & they'll almost certainly charge too much & with no way of getting them if you already have them.

#102 HarMGM

HarMGM
  • Members
  • 1649 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:14 AM

Anyone who buys digital download versions of retail games before they've worked out some sort of account based system rather than downloads being locked to one console is mad. I can't imagine that they haven't thought of this, so hopefully that means they'll be announcing something at E3.

At the investor conference in January, Iwata confirmed that the new Nintendo Network service would have an account based system on the Wii U. I imagine that the 3DS will get the same thing through a later firmware update. Considering that Nintendo will also give people the oppurtunity to buy e-shop software through a separate website later in the year, I wouldn't be surprised if we see this account system at the same time.

#103 Massive Invisible Dog

Massive Invisible Dog
  • Members
  • 16175 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

Yeah, I'm sure it's coming.
The other interesting thing about this is that download codes for everything will be sold at retail. I imagine we'll either get games directly through the eShop at SRP or with a small discount (like Vita games through PSN) but retail will be able to apply discounts as they do with boxed games.

#104 mushashi

mushashi
  • Members
  • 9278 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

From the tweets by the analyst at Macquarie Group, don't go expecting digital to mean much in terms of frontline pricing, Nintendo seems to want to keep the middle man alive.

Said game life is getting shorter, hence retailers carry few, digital will help retail as inventory risk reduced!

Digital wholesale price will not be the same as packaged as inventory risk is different

Won't go all digital as it doesn't suit all users, want win-win relationship with retailers.

Iwata doesn't think retail margins will be coming down as a result of digital. Finished

#105 NEG

NEG
  • Members
  • 9029 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

Not being able to play imports is simply stupid for a handheld, though. THEY'RE TRAVEL DEVICES FFS.

#106 Massive Invisible Dog

Massive Invisible Dog
  • Members
  • 16175 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

From the tweets by the analyst at Macquarie Group, don't go expecting digital to mean much in terms of frontline pricing, Nintendo seems to want to keep the middle man alive.

As long as that middle man discounts the download codes as quickly as the currently do with their physical games - fine by me.

#107 Jarik

Jarik
  • Members
  • 4584 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:01 PM

This has appeared in my "Amazon Recommends" section with a release date of August 17th & a price of £32.78. :huh:

http://www.amazon.co...40900653&sr=8-1

#108 Keyboard Koala

Keyboard Koala
  • Supporters
  • 8357 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:59 PM

It should be playable at the upcoming Games Britannia show.

#109 Keyboard Koala

Keyboard Koala
  • Supporters
  • 8357 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

Seems like you'll get a lim. ed. gold coin cartridge storage case when you pre-order this game at Gamestation.

Posted Image

Also, seems like Tanooki/raccoon Luigi never existed, it's always been Kitsune/fox Luigi... .... or has it?

Posted Image

#110 Keyboard Koala

Keyboard Koala
  • Supporters
  • 8357 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

New gameplay footage:

Looks like a mixed bag, tbh. Some parts Mario great, some parts NSMB DS mediocre. I'll wait for the reviews before I pick this one up.

#111 Chooch

Chooch
  • Members
  • 8381 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

Glad to see the mini mushroom back but the massive mushroom must be the most pointless mario power up.

#112 mdn2

mdn2
  • Members
  • 5146 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

Hmm, I didn't like the first part of that video where the coin trails are placed to get the best runthrough of a level. Surely Mario games benefit from experimentation and trial and error gameplay rather than basically showing you what to do. Hopefully it won't be a regular occurance.

#113 HarMGM

HarMGM
  • Members
  • 1649 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

Have to say, that's the first trailer to hint at some meaty content for the game. Most of all the footage looked like the DS version redux so far.

#114 watusi

watusi
  • Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:01 PM

Forgot to post that I played this at Games Britannia in Sheffield. Only had a quick game but it seemed to me like "more of the same". Quite enjoyable but very similar to the previous game.

#115 DC07

DC07
  • Members
  • 7968 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:12 PM

Nothing about it appeals to me all that much apart from it being a platformer that has 'Mario' in the title. I want to resist buying it but... it's a platformer that has 'Mario' in the title.

#116 Red Alignment

Red Alignment
  • Members
  • 2996 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:30 AM

Some of my favourite games ever are Mario platformers, but I can't get any enthusiasm for the NSMB series. The prior entries to the series are just completely soulless, blatantly churned out to a template to operate as a cash cow. Just like FIFA games, really.

#117 Super Craig

Super Craig
  • Members
  • 11926 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:34 AM

The last game came out 3 years ago. The first game was 3 years before that. Hardly FIFA like.

#118 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 18046 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:17 AM

The last game came out 3 years ago. The first game was 3 years before that. Hardly FIFA like.

Maybe not in regards to yearly entries into the series but this:

The prior entries to the series are just completely soulless, blatantly churned out to a template to operate as a cash cow.

I have to agree with. Go back and play any of the classic 2D Mario platformers and be amazed how the stark the difference is between those and the mediocre NSMB games.

#119 Rudderless

Rudderless
  • Members
  • 11283 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:56 AM

They're still really tightly designed, but there's nowhere near the same level of invention as in the 3D Mario games. Those are the true successors to the likes of SMB3 and SMW, if you ask me, in spirit if not exactly in design (though 3D Land is arguably the closest Nintendo has been to capturing the 'feel' of the 2D games in 3D).

#120 Keyboard Koala

Keyboard Koala
  • Supporters
  • 8357 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

More footage:

Tbh, it does look like a calculated attempt to boost 3DS sales in the US and Europe (as the handheld's popularity there isn't what Nintendo expected). Even the presence of the Koopalings doesn't really manage to ignite my enthusiasm.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3DS, Platformer

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users