#1 HarMGM

HarMGM
  • Members
  • 1626 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:43 AM

Well, sadly no Super Mario Land 4. :(

In any case, it looks like Nintendo has just announced New Super Mario Bros. 2

Posted Image
Power-ups which could be glanced from the screens given are the Racoon tail, a Golden Mario and I'm sure I spotted a P-Wing P-meter( :o) in there as well.

Posted Image
Style looks similar to Super Mario 3DLand.

Releasing this August in Japan worldwide it seems

EDIT:
Let's add some trailer shall we we?

Japanese overview trailer:

Gameplay trailer:

#2 Spainkiller

Spainkiller
  • Supporters
  • 24274 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:42 AM

Meh :( NSMB was pretty forgettable. Doing a Blue Shell run was really fun, though. Woooooooosh. But yeah, I was hoping for SMB4 as well.

EDIT: Wait a minute, wasn't SMW called SMB4 in Japan!? Kind of makes it impossible to do another SMB4, right?

#3 Super Craig

Super Craig
  • Members
  • 11905 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:50 AM

Super Mario Bros. 4 wasn't going to happen. I wish so-called news sites would actually think before posting any old shit they come across.

#4 Eats hoops and leaves

Eats hoops and leaves
  • Members
  • 27549 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:01 AM

Lame. Obviously I'll buy it the second it's released. But still, lame.

#5 Spainkiller

Spainkiller
  • Supporters
  • 24274 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:04 AM

Obviously I'll buy it the second it's released.

Yeah, same.

#6 HarMGM

HarMGM
  • Members
  • 1626 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:36 AM

Guys i'm pretty sure I said Super Mario LAND 4. Bit of a difference.

#7 Spainkiller

Spainkiller
  • Supporters
  • 24274 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:57 AM

Oops, you're right. Sorry.

#8 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17846 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:59 AM

EDIT: Wait a minute, wasn't SMW called SMB4 in Japan!? Kind of makes it impossible to do another SMB4, right?

Well, it had SMB4 as the subtitle:
Posted Image

#9 HarMGM

HarMGM
  • Members
  • 1626 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:08 AM

Oops, you're right. Sorry.

All good, no worries. :)

Looking some more at the screens posted, I'd say we're going to see more SMB3 this time around then simple power-ups and such.
The fact that there is a run meter again suggests Nintendo is probably going to lift some other ideas from that game. I'm personally expecting:
-Airship and Tank levels like in World 8.
-Return of warp flutes(makes sense when you look at the blue block in the level 1 screen).
-Returning Koopa Kids(makes sense after them being in NSMB.Wii).

What's also interesting is the potential amount of power-ups in this game. Pretty much confirmed are:
-Super Mushroom
-Fire Flower
-Raccoon Suit
-Gold Mario
-Star
If you add in the power-ups from the other NSMB's we could the biggest amount of power-ups in a Mario game thus far. I mean if you add those along with:
-Mini Mushroom
-Yoshi
-Ice Flower
-Full Tanooki Suit
-Hammer Bros. Suit
-Frog Suit
-Kuribo's Shoe
All of those would amount to more then 12 Power-ups. This game might actually make up for not looking too exciting with a lot of content. :)

#10 Napole0n

Napole0n
  • Supporters
  • 65244 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:31 AM

More Nintendo cheap milking innovation!

#11 wretcherd

wretcherd
  • Members
  • 1268 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

You forgot Penguin Mario! Penguin Mario is boss.

#12 Cyhwuhx

Cyhwuhx
  • Supporters
  • 27761 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

Posted Image

FINALLY. They couldn't get the Super Leaf right in 3D Land, which kind of ruined that one for me. A Tanooki Suit that can't fly or transform? WUT? Been waiting ages for a new SMB3.

(Relatively. Now that even Kid Icarus is out, my list of 'games I've been waiting ages for' has basically been rebooted.)

#13 tnman

tnman
  • Members
  • 2108 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:45 AM

Obligatory "YEEEEEEEEEAAAAHHH :D".

Conversationally constructive: good to see they're continuing the tanooki power-up after people missed the 'proper' flying of SMB3 in 3D Land. I look forward to this immensely!

Edit- Please have Yoshi! I want a Yoshi on my 3DS so bad...

#14 Spainkiller

Spainkiller
  • Supporters
  • 24274 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

The blue shell powerup needs to be in this.

#15 Massive Invisible Dog

Massive Invisible Dog
  • Members
  • 16140 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

A Tanooki Suit that can't fly or transform? WUT?). Been waiting ages for a new SMB3.

It did transform, didn't it?
I expect this game will be an excellent 2D platformer which is poorly received on the internet because it uses the same engine and art style as the previous game.

#16 Cyhwuhx

Cyhwuhx
  • Supporters
  • 27761 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:59 AM

It did transform, didn't it?
I expect this game will be an excellent 2D platformer which is poorly received on the internet because it uses the same engine and art style as the previous game.

The Super Leaf posing as the Tanooki Suit didn't.

A Statue Leaf only gave that ability and those are 'Special'. It was a weird power-mix-up.

#17 Stanley

Stanley
  • Members
  • 15308 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:23 AM

Nintendo really are going for it at the moment aren't they. If they launch Wii U with a Mario too then that's three within a twelve month period.

#18 SMD

SMD
  • Members
  • 20521 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:12 AM

Day one.

#19 utero2001

utero2001
  • Members
  • 4652 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:18 AM

They've really cottoned on to that a lack of innovation and personality sells more products

#20 SMD

SMD
  • Members
  • 20521 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

Or that you can't get enough Mario.

#21 Ersatz Nihilist

Ersatz Nihilist
  • Members
  • 2626 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

I think it looks awful from a pure graphics standpoint - generic plasticky garbage :(

I fear that Rayman Origins has ruined me forever when you compare it to stuff that looks like 3D on a 2D plane.

#22 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17846 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

I just wish they would do a proper side-scroller in beautiful, detailed 2D instead of lazily (and probably cheaper too) using 3D. Look at those screens, no charm whatsoever and it looks ugly. Paid full price on day one for the first one and thought it was shit, so I'll just skip this one I think.

Edit: and yeah, Rayman Origins FTW, why can't Nintendo simply make a 2D platformer at least as good and pretty as that one? Used to be a time when they were the best at it...

#23 Chooch

Chooch
  • Members
  • 8279 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

I just wish they would do a proper side-scroller in beautiful, detailed 2D instead of lazily (and probably cheaper too) using 3D. Look at those screens, no charm whatsoever and it looks ugly. Paid full price on day one for the first one and thought it was shit, so I'll just skip this one I think.

Edit: and yeah, Rayman Origins FTW, why can't Nintendo simply make a 2D platformer at least as good and pretty as that one? Used to be a time when they were the best at it...

Rayman is very pretty indeed, but it's also a fairly average platformer.

#24 Massive Invisible Dog

Massive Invisible Dog
  • Members
  • 16140 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:28 AM

There isn't a single doubt in my mind that despite not looking nearly as nice, this will be a better platformer than Rayman Origins. By a country mile. Rayman can't touch either of the existing NSMB games.
Donkey Kong Country Returns showed that the 3D model route doesn't necessarily mean a 2D platformer using it can't look nice, it's a shame they're not making any effort to do anything to differentiate it visually.

#25 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17846 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

Rayman is very pretty indeed, but it's also a fairly average platformer.

Compared to SMW and SMB3 it is, but it shits all over the NSMB and NSMB Wii games. Donkey Kong Country Returns was great and played a lot better than the NSMB games once I mapped the bullshit waggle controls to a button on the classic controller (having decent level design also helped of course) but overall I would still prefer it if Nintendo just made a proper 2D Mario platformer which recaptured the greatness of SMW and SMB3. NSMB feels like they let the Bubsy the Bobcat devs have a go at using the Mario license, just because it's from the almighty Nintendo doesn't make it great.

#26 Massive Invisible Dog

Massive Invisible Dog
  • Members
  • 16140 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

The main thing that separates NSMBWii from the older games to me is the art style, I think it was too generic and bland to really make any of the levels or worlds memorable. But purely in terms of level design, I thought it was pretty brilliant and can happily hang with the others.
NSMB DS, not so much. I just can't compare Rayman with them, because if there's any 2D platformer that it should be compared with it's Sonic. It has far more in common with the 2D Sonic games than it does Mario, it's all about holding right, jumping at the right time and cursing your way through the shitty trial and error section.

#27 Cyhwuhx

Cyhwuhx
  • Supporters
  • 27761 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

Compared to SMW and SMB3 it is, but it shits all over the NSMB and NSMB Wii games. Donkey Kong Country Returns was great and played a lot better than the NSMB games once I mapped the bullshit waggle controls to a button on the classic controller (having decent level design also helped of course) but overall I would still prefer it if Nintendo just made a proper 2D Mario platformer which recaptured the greatness of SMW and SMB3. NSMB feels like they let the Bubsy the Bobcat devs have a go at using the Mario license, just because it's from the almighty Nintendo doesn't make it great.

I completed and returned NSMB on the day I bought it, it only became interesting and reminiscent of SMB3/SMW in world 8 and then it was over. Probably the worst Mario out there. I think I even prefer SMB2US over that one. (I'd rather say "SM64", but the impact would be lost on Rllmuk.)

#28 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17846 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

The main thing that separates NSMBWii from the older games to me is the art style, I think it was too generic and bland to really make any of the levels or worlds memorable. But purely in terms of level design, I thought it was pretty brilliant and can happily hang with the others.
NSMB DS, not so much. I just can't compare Rayman with them, because if there's any 2D platformer that it should be compared with it's Sonic. It has far more in common with the 2D Sonic games than it does Mario, it's all about holding right, jumping at the right time and cursing your way through the shitty trial and error section.

We'll have to agree to disagree, but one thing we can all agree on is that it would be great if Nintendo returned to the 2D art of the older Mario classics! :D

I completed and returned NSMB on the day I bought it, it only became interesting and reminiscent of SMB3/SMW in world 8 and then it was over. Probably the worst Mario out there. I think I even prefer SMB2US over that one. (I'd rather say "over SM64", but the impact would be lost on Rllmuk.)

I'll just ignore the SM64 part ( :P ) but yeah I would say that SMB2USA is easily a far better platformer in every regard than NSMB DS.

#29 Asura

Asura
  • Members
  • 19777 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

OK, this might seem like an odd question to ask, but as someone who was very much a Sega kid, what's the fundamental difference between New Super Mario Bros. and a hypothetical Super Mario Bros. 4?

A few people here are saying "I wish this was SMB4"; I don't really follow why you would say that. To me, NSMB is as much Mario Bros 4 as any other game because it's still a Mario Bros 2D-gameplay platformer. It's not like NSMB was a totally different game like Megaman or Yoshi's Story.

#30 Kevvy Metal

Kevvy Metal
  • Members
  • 4793 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

My god at this thread.
This is a "new/another" Mario game, they can develop it whichever way they want. You run for left to right & squash Goombas.
People are upset that this is called "NSMB2" & not "SML4" or "SMB4"? Wat?!

The Tanooki suit lacking transforming ability ruined 3D Land?! One the the best platforms to come out of Nintendo?

Talk about being slightly obsessed with superficial details! :rollseyes:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3DS, Platformer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users