Posted Image

:unsure:

#32 mdn2

mdn2
  • Members
  • 5145 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:14 AM

Doom.

I found either the shotgun or the chaingun works wonders.

EDIT: Damn you APM!

#33 Stanley

Stanley
  • Members
  • 15628 posts

Why? Potentially, someone could see what was in the mag and then decide to go out and buy it from that.

I can understand Matt's Tweet - it is disappointing when you work hard on a publication and it's reduced to a number of scores that are then debated without the context of the words. Not least because some people see these threads as excuses not to buy magazines because simply knowing the scores is enough for them.

On the contrary it's threads like these that get me to buy mags in the first place. It's basically advertising.

#34 Harsin

Harsin
  • Members
  • 15725 posts

All this journalistic drama over a publication called 'Nintendo Gamer'? Surely single-format printed videogame magazines are about a step up from menus from the local Kebab House nowadays.

Then again, maybe their insightful and thought provoking deconstruction of Calvin Tucker's Redneck F.A.R.T. is going to be up for a Pulitzer any day now, if it isn't beaten by '25 Reasons You Must Play Kid Icarus Uprising'.

#35 Cheeko

Cheeko
  • Members
  • 5699 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

Posted Image

Sorry Matt. :( Last time I'll do one of these threads, promise.

I was going to write a reply to his tweet on twitter, but couldn't fit it into the character limit, so just told him to deal with it.

The magazine isn't even close to being on my radar, the problem isn't scores getting onto forums, it's that the publication is nigh on irrelevant. Times have changed, go read Hookshot Inc instead.

#36 Rudderless

Rudderless
  • Members
  • 11283 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:34 AM

I was going to write a reply to his tweet on twitter, but couldn't fit it into the character limit, so just told him to deal with it.

The magazine isn't even close to being on my radar

So the mag isn't on your radar, but you thought you'd be snarky to its editor on Twitter for no good reason? Well done you!

the problem isn't scores getting onto forums, it's that the publication is nigh on irrelevant. Times have changed, go read Hookshot Inc instead.

Hookshot's a lovely site, granted, but it doesn't cater to any Nintendo gamer who wants to read about retail games on 3DS, Wii or Wii U. What a thoroughly stupid suggestion.

On the contrary it's threads like these that get me to buy mags in the first place. It's basically advertising.

Fair enough. I'm just pointing out why it's disappointing after working long hours producing a magazine to see your work reduced to a series of numbers, is all. I'm glad that these threads encourage you to buy the mag.

#37 JPickford

JPickford
  • Members
  • 50151 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

Isn't it the games that are being reduced to numbers? Nobody is grading the reviews.

It certainly is frustrating to work on something for years and see it reduced to a number. Well, when it's a low number :)

#38 Bojangle

Bojangle
  • Members
  • 11683 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

Fair enough. I'm just pointing out why it's disappointing after working long hours producing a magazine to see your work reduced to a series of numbers, is all.

Is there actually anybody who wants to read the reasoning behind 'Alvin and the Chipmunks Chipwrecked' getting an awful score though?

I think complaining about people posting the scores is just silly too, it's something that happens in this industry, sadly. On the other hand, had people been scanning in or typing up the reviews or features (I'm really interested in reading the Space Station Silicon Valley bit for example) wholesale, then I could totally understand the editor being pissed off with that.

#39 Floex

Floex
  • Members
  • 1882 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:50 AM

If these publications don't want to reduce their work to a single review score then they shouldn't be including reviews scores in the first place

#40 Shoes

Shoes
  • Supporters
  • 10075 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:50 AM

I want to read why 'Alvin and The Chipmunks: Chipwrecked' got a low score, because it's bound to be well-written and funny, as as most of Nintendo Gamer itself.

#41 Stanley

Stanley
  • Members
  • 15628 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

I think this is the first time I can remember an editor complaining about exposure.

He should have more faith in his readership.

Also, perhaps a tad snarky but I think it's worth saying; if you don't want to see your mag "reduced to review scores" (which isn't true here anyway) have you considered dropping scores?

Edit. Thanks Floex!

#42 Aimless

Aimless
  • Members
  • 6074 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

I don't really see these threads as any different to flicking through the mag itself in WHSmith. Certainly without them I'm not sure I'd realise publications were out/existed.

Twitter's entire purpose seems to be a venue for people to air half-baked ideas or comments they probably shouldn't let slip, so I wouldn't get worked up about it. It's easy to see why the editor might be annoyed by threads like this summarising reviews into a single figure, but I'm sure if you actually sat down for a conversation he'd acknowledge how ironic a grievance that is.

#43 Shoes

Shoes
  • Supporters
  • 10075 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

It's a tweet, guys. He didn't come on here and demand it be taken down. It's promotion, yes, but as Rudderless says, I can imagine it being disheartening too.

#44 Robo_1

Robo_1
  • Supporters
  • 8353 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

Isn't it the games that are being reduced to numbers? Nobody is grading the reviews.

It certainly is frustrating to work on something for years and see it reduced to a number. Well, when it's a low number :)

Yeah, I was going to post something along these lines. It's not as though developers (well I suppose some do :)) go around saying how cheapened they feel by all these reviewers assigning numbers to their games.

If it truly bothers the editor that much, then go out on a limb and drop the scores entirely. Create the world you want to live in etc. etc.

#45 HarMGM

HarMGM
  • Members
  • 1648 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

This thread has thought me one important thing:

Pickford is posting on the forum again. Where have you been man?

#46 JPickford

JPickford
  • Members
  • 50151 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

POPULAR

This thread has thought me one important thing:

Pickford is posting on the forum again. Where have you been man?

Using my Bruciebabe account but it got banned.

#47 HarMGM

HarMGM
  • Members
  • 1648 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

:lol:

#48 SozzlyJoe

SozzlyJoe
  • Supporters
  • 2203 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

I would be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he's tweeted again:

"I don't like seeing 132 pages of magazine craft being represented by 10% of its content, and then only by the numbers."

Oh dear, this chap is firmly up his own anus. Magazine craft?

#49 Napole0n

Napole0n
  • Supporters
  • 66051 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

"Single format rag" hasn't the same ring to it, does it?

Edit: maybe the magazine is good, I don't know. I only look at the scores.

#50 utopastac

utopastac
  • Members
  • 3312 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

I think that as a creative person, he should probably know better. It's not yours to own once you release it into the wild! People can and rightly will digest it in any way they feel like.

#51 Stanley

Stanley
  • Members
  • 15628 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

Perhaps next time someone would duly post the entire mag up in PDF format so as to not misrepresent it.

#52 Chopsocky

Chopsocky
  • Members
  • 1724 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

Here's what this thread would look like in a world without scores.

Reviews:
Wii: Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion XL - Kiddy
3DS: Farming Simulator 2012 3D - Not a patch on Harvest Moon
3DS: Crash Time 3D - Shovelware
DS: Zuma's Revenge - Ripoff of Magnetica
DS: Major League Baseball 2K12 - Same as 2K11 different roster
Wii: Alvin and the Chipmunks Chipwrecked - Fuck off. TLDR.
3DS: Jewel Master: Cradle of Room 2 - Puzzle Quest Ripoff
Wii: Calvin Tucker's Redneck F.A.R.T. - Don't Bother
Wii: We Sing Pop! - Waggle Shovelware

Import Reviews:
3DS: Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir - Too short, where is FF 4 Nintendo!?#*
3DS: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy - Alright, DLC is expensive
3DS: Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai - something something JPop/Moe. Will never be localized
DS: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 - Above average
DS: Pokémon + Nobunga's Ambition - OMG. Is this actually happening!?

I have not played any of these games or read the mag. :ph34r:

#53 Rudderless

Rudderless
  • Members
  • 11283 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

I would be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he's tweeted again:

"I don't like seeing 132 pages of magazine craft being represented by 10% of its content, and then only by the numbers."

Or he takes pride in his work. That's why he's one of the best games writers in the country.

I need to stop coming to this place.

#54 Napole0n

Napole0n
  • Supporters
  • 66051 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

Don't be so fucking precious.

#55 utopastac

utopastac
  • Members
  • 3312 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

Or he takes pride in his work. That's why he's one of the best games writers in the country.

There are plenty of reasons to stop coming to this place, but this isn't one of the most compelling ones.

For starters, he's wrong in the first instance. The magazine hasn't been reduced to anything by having a thread on here, regardless of whether the first post contains scores or not. He should be pleased it's being discussed at all - you don't see threads pop up for any other single format magazines, or at least I don't notice them. I guess he'd prefer the first post to be something along the lines of 'I read this interesting article in the new issue of Nintendo Gamer about ISS64'.

#56 Red Alignment

Red Alignment
  • Members
  • 2996 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

Depressing thing is, seeing how this has all played out, it that I'm actually a genuine fan of the magazine. Wanting to 'damage' the publication wasn't something I even contemplated. I just wanted to discuss the latest issue with fellow forumites who read NG. Edge, GamesTM and Retro Gamer get their own monthly threads here, why not a thread for a magazine that is more entertaining to read than any of those?

#57 JPickford

JPickford
  • Members
  • 50151 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

You didn't damage anything and there's nothing wrong with posting the scores.

#58 Harsin

Harsin
  • Members
  • 15725 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

I wonder if Empire writers stare in impotent fury at posters in the lobby with their star ratings on every time they go to the cinema.

#59 tnman

tnman
  • Members
  • 2145 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:54 PM

He's clearly just proud of what he's created. Nowt wrong with that.

I think you're only taking on board the negatives.

#60 footle

footle
  • Members
  • 19113 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

Yeah. Next time post all the review text.

Only if he leaves the score off at the end.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wii, 3DS, DS

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users