Selling a retro collection

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#31 Yiggy

Yiggy
  • Members
  • 12741 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

The first systems games (quite a minor one) is up in the trading thread now. PAL Sega Saturn. There are a few gems in there along with some tat. Whatever gems don't sell here will go to eBay.

I will see how it goes. Taking it a system at a time looks like the way it has to be.

#32 roberthazelby

roberthazelby
  • Moderators
  • 6455 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:07 AM

Before you put this stuff on Ebay you may want to consider flogging it on Amibay.

#33 Yiggy

Yiggy
  • Members
  • 12741 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

Before you put this stuff on Ebay you may want to consider flogging it on Amibay.

I have nerves heard of this place but I will check it out. Is it UK based?

You have used them before? Trustworthy etc?

#34 roberthazelby

roberthazelby
  • Moderators
  • 6455 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:37 AM

I have nerves heard of this place but I will check it out. Is it UK based?

You have used them before? Trustworthy etc?

It's UK based and dedicated to buying, selling, swapping and giving away of retro items.

I've bought bits from the UK and mainland Europe on it, and have also given some items away on it.

The site owner lives in South Wales.

Each user has a feedback status next to their name so you can see what they've been up to.

#35 Rev

Rev
  • Members
  • 24321 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

I looked on there last time you mentioned it (ATF?) and it seems a very odd place. It's trading rules seem a bit weird - I do prefer AVForums needing everything to be in the thread if there are going to be rules in place.

#36 Eddie

Eddie
  • Members
  • 6945 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

I sold a collection of about 2000 games a few years ago. Occasionally I feel like playing some of the games, but rarely do I miss it, and it is nice to be out of the habit of pouring money into the collection.

#37 alxbly

alxbly
  • Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:17 PM

I want to wish Yiggy good luck in selling his collection. I'm going through the same process just now but for different reasons. I was quite an avid games collector between 2004 and 2010-ish but my interests and priorities have changed; my girlfriend and I want to buy a house within the next two years and I don't want to be carrying piles of games and consoles that I have no real attachment to. That means selling off quite a large collection including NES, Dreamcast, Game Boy, N64, PS1, PS2, Xbox and Gamecube items.

I'd be interested to know how you get on Yiggy, and what works for you in terms of selling on the forum, eBay, etc. :) I had been selling things through eBay a while ago but found it to be a right pain in the arse; the description writing, taking photos, etc, quite often wasn't worth the return. I think this time the key will be to follow the advice here; find out what may have value and sell that individually, but sell the rest in batches/bundles.

#38 strider

strider
  • Members
  • 5661 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

It's UK based and dedicated to buying, selling, swapping and giving away of retro items.

I've bought bits from the UK and mainland Europe on it, and have also given some items away on it.

The site owner lives in South Wales.

Each user has a feedback status next to their name so you can see what they've been up to.

Isn't it predominently for Amiga stuff?

#39 super_quincy

super_quincy
  • Members
  • 5014 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

It's definitely more computer based but people do trade console stuff there too

#40 strider

strider
  • Members
  • 5661 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

Hmm may check it out. I think I'll sell my Lynx in a job lot, as indiviual games for it don't appear that rare (at least the ones I have).

#41 super_quincy

super_quincy
  • Members
  • 5014 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:56 AM

I got quite alot for the 2 lynx job lots I sold last year

#42 Blooming Marvellous

Blooming Marvellous
  • Members (restricted)
  • 4997 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

what 32x games are they? Some of them can get you a good amount, especially if you have any 32X CD games. I don't think there's anything that will get you less than a fiver on 32x.

I really wanted one but it'll all a bit expensive for me and put me off a bit! Plus some of the 32x CD games don't work with a model 1 mega cd, as they come with a 'key disc' that you need to put in first to stop people from selling the spare CD copy. This doesn't work with the eject mechanism on the first model as it resets the system.

The 32x CD games are the main reason i'd want one I think, being an obsessive Mega CD fan.

Stuff like Chaotix and Kolibri would go for £100 when I was looking :(

#43 strider

strider
  • Members
  • 5661 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:18 AM

I got quite alot for the 2 lynx job lots I sold last year

was it all boxed? My stuff is half and half.

#44 super_quincy

super_quincy
  • Members
  • 5014 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

I spilt mine into 2 lots - a nice Lynx2 with my boxed games and a scruffy Lynx 1 with the unboxed games

#45 Blu3Flame

Blu3Flame
  • Members
  • 8868 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:53 PM

How much did you get out of interest. I'm also tempted to shift my Lynx collection, as nice as it is I never use it.

#46 super_quincy

super_quincy
  • Members
  • 5014 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

The unboxed lot went for £55 (sent abroad)
The boxed lot went for £70 IIRC ( I can't check as feedback wasn't left)

#47 strider

strider
  • Members
  • 5661 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:14 PM

Any idea if the following is worth selling seperately or in a bundle?
All NTSC and Cartridge only I have a modified N64 as well but I've melted the flaps.

Ocarina Of Time
Pokemon Snap
Mischief Makers
Smash Bros
Pilotwings 64
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Mario Kart 64 Gauntlet Legends
Goldeneye
Super MArio 64
1080 Snowboarding
Diddy Kong Racing
Perfect Dark
Conkers Bad Fur Day
F-Zero X
Donkey Kong 64
Star Fox 64
Majora's Mask

I also have Sin & Punishment.
Are they worth selling seperately or in a bundle?

#48 NonShinyGoose

NonShinyGoose
  • Members
  • 2522 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

I think Magical Drop has said pretty much everything that needs to be said,

But I would add that listing, packaging and posting everything individually can be very time consuming and tedious.

It might be worth picking out the best titles to still individually and bundling the rest, unless you have a lot of spare time.

Bundles can do suprisingly well. I cant see anything particularly amazing in this one but it went for a decent amount.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4d002ad619

I would also sell the PC engine stuff last, as it would be the hardest to replace, and cant take up that much room !

Castlevania was in that bundle. I assume that's why it sold for so much. You're right though, bundles do sell for a load. When I was Game Gear collecting I sold off a couple of bundles of common games for £30+.

#49 super_quincy

super_quincy
  • Members
  • 5014 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

Hard to say, I know PAL versions of Majora, Conker, Banjo2 and Smash Bros can go for a tidy sum, but NTSC N64 games seem to be overlooked over here

Melted flaps? :huh: :blink: :o

#50 X_2_0

X_2_0
  • Members
  • 1177 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

Something else to bare in mind when selling is the Royal mail price hike.

Under the new charges it's going to cost £3.15 to send a megadrive game second class recorded :huh:

Thats going to take a big chunk out of what people are prepared to pay for a game.

#51 MagicalDrop

MagicalDrop
  • Members
  • 1096 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

I can't really see a compelling reason for using recorded delivery for most Megadrive games though - free proof of posting provides insurance against loss up to £40 or so, which would cover the vast majority of packages.

I'm interested in the new pricing though, how does that £3.15 break down? Is Large Letter rate (dvd sized cases) also going up?

I think ebay have reacted accordingly, I'm sure last week when I listed something the maximum postage charge for a single game had been increased.

For sellers it should mean no difference in terms of eventual profit although for buyers it's yet more creeping inflation :(

#52 Yiggy

Yiggy
  • Members
  • 12741 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

Fucking postage hikes. When does hat hit?

So I was doing Saturn stuff first. I sold half a dozen games on here which is cool and the rest are hitting eBay tomorrow night. There are a few 'couple of quid' jobbies which I am going to chuck in a box and take down a boot fair in the summer. As I work through the formats I will keep adding to that box. I reckon that 75% of my stuff should sell for over a fiver a game + postage which makes it about worth doing. Hoping for some good money for quite a number of titles though.

#53 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:46 PM

I think ebay have reacted accordingly, I'm sure last week when I listed something the maximum postage charge for a single game had been increased.

For sellers it should mean no difference in terms of eventual profit although for buyers it's yet more creeping inflation :(

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/maximumPP_FAQ.html#maxcosts

#54 Vespa Alex

Vespa Alex
  • Members
  • 1900 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:02 AM

I wouldn't be so sure. If a buyer was prepared to bid and pay £10 to get a game last week that probably hasn't changed and it just means the seller will get a bit less.

#55 X_2_0

X_2_0
  • Members
  • 1177 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

I can't really see a compelling reason for using recorded delivery for most Megadrive games though - free proof of posting provides insurance against loss up to £40 or so, which would cover the vast majority of packages.

I'm interested in the new pricing though, how does that £3.15 break down? Is Large Letter rate (dvd sized cases) also going up?

The new prices are

For a packet up to 750g - 1st class £2.70 2nd class £2.20 for recorded Delivery add 95p

A dvd or saturn game should be able to pass as a large letter, which are also going up.

#56 Vespa Alex

Vespa Alex
  • Members
  • 1900 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:35 AM

I'd be interested to hear people's opinions on this lot - I don't know how much is worth selling individually or in a bundle.

First the Sega Master System stuff - I've got a Boxed MS2 console and an unboxed MS1 plus the following boxed games.

Spoiler

The Megadrive collection includes good boxed MD1 and MD2 consoles plus the following boxed games.

Spoiler

Then there's the Boxed Saturn and a smaller list of boxed games.
Spoiler

#57 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41700 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:38 AM

Castle of illusion
Castlevania the new generation
Dragon's Fury
Earthworm Jim
Golden Axe 2
James Pond 3
Mega Games 2
Mega Games 3
Mutant League Football
Psycho Pinball
Quack Shot / Castle of illusion
Revenge of Shinobi
Skeleton Krew
Sonic 3
Sonic 3d
Sonic and Knuckles
Sonic Spinball
Speedball 2
Strider
Strider 2
Super Skidmarks
ToeJam & Earl - panic on funkotron
World Of Illusion

Baku Baku
Bubble Bobble
Burning Rangers
Golden Axe , The Duel
Panzer dragoon 2
Sega Ages 1 x2
Sega Touring Car championship
Sonic 3d
Sonic Jam
Street Fighter Alpha
Three Dirty Dwarves

Of the Megadrive and Saturn stuff (and only off the top of my head) those are the ones I think you'd be best looking into selling separately. You'd need to do the legwork because that's just looking from memory and what used to be worth summat.

Personally, my collection is gathering dust and I'm not sure why I still have a lot of it. I used to use the line "It took far too much time and far too much money to acquire it all" but at the end of the day it really doesn't matter as I don't play it. I'm stuck in something of a quandry.

#58 dvdx2

dvdx2
  • Members
  • 1439 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

i recently sold a large part of my collection - bear in mind its never worth as much as you think it is; price the items to sell

#59 strawdonkey

strawdonkey
  • Members
  • 8500 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

Of the Megadrive and Saturn stuff (and only off the top of my head) those are the ones I think you'd be best looking into selling separately. You'd need to do the legwork because that's just looking from memory and what used to be worth summat.

I'd agree with the Saturn portion of this, don't know much about Megadrive games these days. One thing that did stick out though, I recently sold my copy of Virtua Cop 2 for about a tenner - no idea if that's abnormal but I was really surprised with that.

#60 DonRumsfeld

DonRumsfeld
  • Members
  • 2249 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:46 PM

Looking to clear out some crap from the parents attic. Would anyone mind giving me an idea what I should be looking for

GameCube boxed PAL
Twin Snakes
ReMake
Resident Evil 0
Eternal Darkness
Wind Waker Special Edition with OoT and Master Quest
Zelda Collectors Edition
Killer 7
Paper Mario

and Resi 4 NTSC

Obviously they'll be going up in the trading forum first before eBay and sorry for kinda hijacking the thread.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users