Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yiggy

Selling a retro collection

62 posts in this topic

Same here. I'm also considering a clear out so I'll post a list on here and see what people think. I doubt theres anything too rare in there though.

I think Magical Drop has said pretty much everything that needs to be said,

But I would add that listing, packaging and posting everything individually can be very time consuming and tedious.

It might be worth picking out the best titles to still individually and bundling the rest, unless you have a lot of spare time.

Bundles can do suprisingly well. I cant see anything particularly amazing in this one but it went for a decent amount.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/sega-megadrive-games-bundle-/330715289113?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item4d002ad619"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/sega-megadrive-games-bundle-/330715289113?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item4d002ad619[/url]

I would also sell the PC engine stuff last, as it would be the hardest to replace, and cant take up that much room !

Yeah I might keep the PCE stuff for now. See how easy it is to get rid of everything else.

Inventing and costing the Saturn stuff first. Even that's getting dull. Lol.

With the Saturn, set yourself a ceiling on what you think is worth the effort of listing separately, and put anything under it in your bundle. My rule of thumb is generally a fiver - anything likely to sell for less isn't really worth your time and materials.

Something I meant to mention earlier - it's surprising how many people cant afford stuff until their monthly payday, so avoid having auctions end towards the end of the month...likewise bear in mind buyers have a little more cash to spend if you auctions end around 1st of the month.

The first systems games (quite a minor one) is up in the trading thread now. PAL Sega Saturn. There are a few gems in there along with some tat. Whatever gems don't sell here will go to eBay.

I will see how it goes. Taking it a system at a time looks like the way it has to be.

[quote name='roberthazelby' timestamp='1334304432' post='8550022']
Before you put this stuff on Ebay you may want to consider flogging it on Amibay.
[/quote]

I have nerves heard of this place but I will check it out. Is it UK based?

You have used them before? Trustworthy etc?

[quote name='Yiggy' timestamp='1334310272' post='8550210']
I have nerves heard of this place but I will check it out. Is it UK based?

You have used them before? Trustworthy etc?
[/quote]

It's UK based and dedicated to buying, selling, swapping and giving away of retro items.

I've bought bits from the UK and mainland Europe on it, and have also given some items away on it.

The site owner lives in South Wales.

Each user has a feedback status next to their name so you can see what they've been up to.

I looked on there last time you mentioned it (ATF?) and it seems a very odd place. It's trading rules seem a bit weird - I do prefer AVForums needing everything to be in the thread if there are going to be rules in place.

I sold a collection of about 2000 games a few years ago. Occasionally I feel like playing some of the games, but rarely do I miss it, and it is nice to be out of the habit of pouring money into the collection.

I want to wish Yiggy good luck in selling his collection. I'm going through the same process just now but for different reasons. I was quite an avid games collector between 2004 and 2010-ish but my interests and priorities have changed; my girlfriend and I want to buy a house within the next two years and I don't want to be carrying piles of games and consoles that I have no real attachment to. That means selling off quite a large collection including NES, Dreamcast, Game Boy, N64, PS1, PS2, Xbox and Gamecube items.

I'd be interested to know how you get on Yiggy, and what works for you in terms of selling on the forum, eBay, etc. :) I had been selling things through eBay a while ago but found it to be a right pain in the arse; the description writing, taking photos, etc, quite often wasn't worth the return. I think this time the key will be to follow the advice here; find out what may have value and sell that individually, but sell the rest in batches/bundles.

[quote name='roberthazelby' timestamp='1334317030' post='8550453']
It's UK based and dedicated to buying, selling, swapping and giving away of retro items.

I've bought bits from the UK and mainland Europe on it, and have also given some items away on it.

The site owner lives in South Wales.

Each user has a feedback status next to their name so you can see what they've been up to.
[/quote]
Isn't it predominently for Amiga stuff?

Hmm may check it out. I think I'll sell my Lynx in a job lot, as indiviual games for it don't appear that rare (at least the ones I have).

what 32x games are they? Some of them can get you a good amount, especially if you have any 32X CD games. I don't think there's anything that will get you less than a fiver on 32x.

I really wanted one but it'll all a bit expensive for me and put me off a bit! Plus some of the 32x CD games don't work with a model 1 mega cd, as they come with a 'key disc' that you need to put in first to stop people from selling the spare CD copy. This doesn't work with the eject mechanism on the first model as it resets the system.

The 32x CD games are the main reason i'd want one I think, being an obsessive Mega CD fan.

Stuff like Chaotix and Kolibri would go for £100 when I was looking :(

[quote name='super_quincy' timestamp='1334832995' post='8561410']
I got quite alot for the 2 lynx job lots I sold last year
[/quote]
was it all boxed? My stuff is half and half.

How much did you get out of interest. I'm also tempted to shift my Lynx collection, as nice as it is I never use it.

The unboxed lot went for £55 (sent abroad)
The boxed lot went for £70 IIRC ( I can't check as feedback wasn't left)

Any idea if the following is worth selling seperately or in a bundle?
All NTSC and Cartridge only I have a modified N64 as well but I've melted the flaps.

Ocarina Of Time
Pokemon Snap
Mischief Makers
Smash Bros
Pilotwings 64
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Mario Kart 64 Gauntlet Legends
Goldeneye
Super MArio 64
1080 Snowboarding
Diddy Kong Racing
Perfect Dark
Conkers Bad Fur Day
F-Zero X
Donkey Kong 64
Star Fox 64
Majora's Mask

I also have Sin & Punishment.
Are they worth selling seperately or in a bundle?

[quote name='X_2_0' timestamp='1334266587' post='8549620']
I think Magical Drop has said pretty much everything that needs to be said,

But I would add that listing, packaging and posting everything individually can be very time consuming and tedious.

It might be worth picking out the best titles to still individually and bundling the rest, unless you have a lot of spare time.

Bundles can do suprisingly well. I cant see anything particularly amazing in this one but it went for a decent amount.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/sega-megadrive-games-bundle-/330715289113?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item4d002ad619"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4d002ad619[/url]

I would also sell the PC engine stuff last, as it would be the hardest to replace, and cant take up that much room !
[/quote]

Castlevania was in that bundle. I assume that's why it sold for so much. You're right though, bundles do sell for a load. When I was Game Gear collecting I sold off a couple of bundles of common games for £30+.

Hard to say, I know PAL versions of Majora, Conker, Banjo2 and Smash Bros can go for a tidy sum, but NTSC N64 games seem to be overlooked over here

Melted flaps? :huh: :blink: :o

Something else to bare in mind when selling is the Royal mail price hike.

Under the new charges it's going to cost £3.15 to send a megadrive game second class recorded :huh:

Thats going to take a big chunk out of what people are prepared to pay for a game.