TV

• Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

#151 Mentazm

Mentazm
  • Members
  • 6818 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:55 AM

Having followed Karl since the first podcast (the podcasts are the best things the 3 of them have ever done imo) he definitely plays up to his character now more than he used to.

#152 Capwn

Capwn
  • Members
  • 12796 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

He says thanks for all your nice comments.

So the pilot of Derek aired on Channel 4 last week and despite the criticism, I couldn't have hoped for a better reaction.I really haven't had a reaction like it for anything I've done. So thank you if you wrote a review, a blog, a tweet, told a friend, or just watched it and enjoyed it. Thanks for watching it even if you didn't enjoy it. That's all I ask really. Cheers.

#153 kerraig UK

kerraig UK
  • Members
  • 19993 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

He's real, but "developed". I'm sure he honestly was the genuine guy that Ricky and Steve found so hilarious back in 2001 when he started producing their XFM radio show. I'm sure the first year or so that they put him on the air he was being himself. But then Ricky and Steve knew the goldmine they had found and started to over-work it. They probably encouraged Karl to be more Karl than Karl, and after a while he started conforming.

yeah thats exactly how I see it

#154 The-Pope-Smokes-Dope!

The-Pope-Smokes-Dope!
  • Supporters
  • 11874 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

Actually enjoyed it. Thought it would be shit fromthetrailers but I found it quite a warm program.... He's got life in a care home spot on.

#155 Daley

Daley
  • Members
  • 13952 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

Was much, much better than I expected. Not funnier but just better. I would like him to dial down the gurning if this gets made into a series and some of the slapstick was not needed really.

I've always thought the best comedy comes from sad situations and this, while never laugh out loud funny, has real potential. Was very touching.

I don't know how I would feel about it if I had a disability or a relative that did but I don't think he overdone it, with the exception of the facial expressions. Not sure why he couldn't just play him as a slow, gentle loner rather than "the face".

#156 Wahwah*

Wahwah*
  • Members
  • 23954 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:50 AM

Karl fans can see some outtakes if you download Ricky Gervais' video podcast. The one dated 3rd April.

#157 kerraig UK

kerraig UK
  • Members
  • 19993 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

Actually enjoyed it. Thought it would be shit fromthetrailers but I found it quite a warm program.... He's got life in a care home spot on.

It's hardly a difficult scenario to realise though is it. It's not like he's recreating life in an aboriginal tribe in the 1800's

#158 Daley

Daley
  • Members
  • 13952 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:56 AM

http://www.channel4....y-ricky-gervais

Full series. To be screened in 2013. I'm pleased. Had some potential I feel.

#159 pulsemyne

pulsemyne
  • Members
  • 6880 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

Well the first episode of the series was one of the best things Gervais has written in ages. A good message that was well played. It was funny but also heart warming. Karl was also excellent in it, his speech at the end was great.

#160 skunko

skunko
  • Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

Yep, went into it fully expecting to hate it. Thought it was excellent, the turning out me off in places but other than that it was a really well observed bit of comedy. Not laugh out loud but "nice". 4/5.

#161 Wools

Wools
  • Members
  • 2006 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

I loved it. Absolutely loved it.

Ricky has said he has family who work as carers and it shows. The selflessness of the people who care for the residents is portrayed well and the absolute heartlessness of the Council managers coming into the care home to optimise the care made my blood boil. And Karl is absolutely bloody magnificent.

"I've got a solar powered Meerkat that's knackered. I'll fix that and next week they'll be another pile of shit to fix... They're treating me like a twat!"

#162 Davros sock drawer

Davros sock drawer
  • Members
  • 40809 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:53 AM

I loved it too, although it was a bit heavy-handed in parts with the Council "baddies".

Karl was great, only character I'm not sure about is the piss head bloke.

#163 Carlos Valderrama

Carlos Valderrama
  • Supporters
  • 22996 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:38 AM

Agreed. I liked it but the pissed bloke felt a bit out of place.

#164 Capwn

Capwn
  • Members
  • 12796 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

As a big fan of Gervais work I was left quite disappointed. I really REALLY get what it's trying to do and it should be so commended for it and it IS a really innovative show BUT sadly the 'drama' aspect is really heavily handled with constant 'sad' music and a forced anger (especially for the first episode) against the outsiders. I think it's also a shame that they didn't seem to be giving any depth at all to any of the residents. Imagine Office if they never had anyone but Brent, Tim, Dawn or Gareth say anything? They have to do that surely to really care about the place and believe in how important the residents are to these people. Hopefully that's coming.

I'm watching every episode if anything just because it's refreshing.

This this clip from episode 2 made me lol more than anything from last night's episode...

#165 Trent Taylor

Trent Taylor
  • Supporters
  • 4620 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

Really liked it. Yes, drunk guy is annoying, and it's a little forced in places. But the main 3 characters are great and Pilkington is wonderful.

#166 Yiggy

Yiggy
  • Members
  • 12665 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

Agreed. It was brilliant and the sentiment was spot on. Pilikington brilliant. Didn't like drunk bloke. It's like they HAD to have something for people to cringe at.

The biggest problem this has is that from the trailers people just think its Ricky Gervais doing a spastic face.

#167 Trent Taylor

Trent Taylor
  • Supporters
  • 4620 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

The last scene, with Gervais, Pilkington and the care home manager left me with a big smile.

#168 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 26614 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

I watched the first half of this, what a load of complete shit. Amazed that it has had any positive reviews at all, it's got less laughs in it than a late series episode of Last of The Summer Wine.

Actually, even My Family is better comedy. Or that one where that guy out of Father Ted is a superhero.

#169 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 26614 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

The biggest problem this has is that from the trailers people just think its Ricky Gervais doing a spastic face.

The biggest problem is that when you watch it, it's just Ricky Gervais doing a spastic face, and Karl Pilkington wearing a 'funny' wig.

#170 Rob Rule

Rob Rule
  • Members
  • 18844 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

I just caught this too (ZOK, check your windows) and the bit at the end is sentimental tosh. Worse, it's ignorant. Throughout the episode you have the villain of the councilman with a preoccupation for paperwork over human lives. Sure, it's a cliche, but it serves the story and is entirely forgivable. But in the end scene where this character slimily enquires whether Derek is autistic (with the implied threat of filing Derek away somewhere), Derek asks whether he'd still be the same person if he were diagnosed as 'tistic'. The councilman replies with a reassurance that he would be and Derek says 'well what's the point then?' - cue wise nodding from the sympathetic characters and audience alike, after being served such an affirming but wholly empty message delivered with all the subtlety of an anvil fired into a gong. It's exactly the sort of bone-idle sentiment which says absolutely nothing at all but sounds awfully profound and humanistic. Prime facebook shared image fodder. I don't like how it was dismissive of the subject and I don't think such a reductionist view does anyone any good.

It's worth mentioning that I don't dislike Ricky Gervais and I find him watchable; he's done some good things - great, when it comes to The Office. But this is poor.

#171 Yiggy

Yiggy
  • Members
  • 12665 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

Jeez. Some people are being tough on this.

Thing is it's genuinely not supposed to be that funny. You are not supposed to be laughing out loud. You're supposed to be smiling and finding it warm and heartfelt, which I was.

That's the response that Gervais seems to be most pleased with. And staff \ residents of care homes saying how nice it was.

Edit: It's also not supposed to be a Shakespearean masterpiece.

#172 Rob Rule

Rob Rule
  • Members
  • 18844 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:11 PM

Yeah, I agree - it's intended to be something much gentler than a laugh-a-minute sitcom. It has some heart but it's all so obvious and it's has less substance than one might expect.

#173 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 26614 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

I found nothing about it 'warm and heartfelt', it was just lame. Cardboard cut out characters playing out a lumpen and frankly ridiculous 'story'.

I could only put up with it until the adverts, though. Maybe it became a different programme in the second half, I don't know.

EDIT: Hehe, anvil into a gong...spot on, Mr Rule. It seemed to be lacking any nuance whatsoever, which is what tends to separate genuinely 'heartwarming' comedy from stuff that is just mawkish.

#174 Yiggy

Yiggy
  • Members
  • 12665 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

I found nothing about it 'warm and heartfelt', it was just lame. Cardboard cut out characters playing out a lumpen and frankly ridiculous 'story'.

I could only put up with it until the adverts, though. Maybe it became a different program in the second half, I don't know.

The main sentiment came in the second half yeah, along with a couple of good speach bits. I don't need everything to be incredibly well written or clever. Dawn and Tim's meeting along with Andy's speech in the BB house had me in floods of tears and neither of them were that clever. He just knows how to pull on heart strings. I can see how its not for everyone though. Same with most stuff I guess.

The more I think about the more I don't get the drunk guy though. He was supposed to deliver the painful lines or the light relief I guess but he was just so jarring and I didn't get why she would let him be there. They could always turn his character around but it just seemed weird.

#175 Capwn

Capwn
  • Members
  • 12796 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:08 AM

Gervais has said that 'drunk guy' (David Earl) has more depth as the series goes on, especially in episode 6 which according to Gervais is the greatest piece of work he's ever done. I'm sure he said that about Life's Too Short though...

#176 Yiggy

Yiggy
  • Members
  • 12665 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

Gervais has said that 'drunk guy' (David Earl) has more depth as the series goes on, especially in episode 6 which according to Gervais is the greatest piece of work he's ever done. I'm sure he said that about Life's Too Short though...

Well I look forward to that then.

He's said that loads in the past and tbf you often think that your current work is the best if you have integrity. Its your latest child. Not always the case to an outsider looking in though. I live in hope.

#177 jeebus

jeebus
  • Members
  • 21140 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

I hated the pilot, thought it was by far the worst thing that Gervais has done, but gave the series a chance. It's even worse.

#178 Vulgar Monkey

Vulgar Monkey
  • Members
  • 18009 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

I liked it, even though i expected to hate it.
And I actually look forward to the next one.

#179 Mr Do 71

Mr Do 71
  • Supporters
  • 31353 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

Hannah: "What do you read then?"

Victoria: "Twitter"

:lol: A brilliant laugh out loud moment that.

#180 SuperCat

SuperCat
  • Members
  • 4247 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

Obvious joke though isn't it ? I thought with The Office he genuinely changed the game, Extra's was solid. Life's Too Short was worse and this even more so IMO. Why oh why must we have people doing the Martin Freeman impression of looking blankly into the camera at each time someone says something inappropriate, it's well worn out now.

As I watch episode 2 it felt like anyone could've done this. There's no real stamp of quality on it. We've seen the underachiever be forced to do something, have an arm round the shoulder and suddenly 'come good' so often that I couldn't bare those scenes.

And the sex perv guy.. at no point do I believe they would keep allowing him in the home, he doesn't really seem close friends with Derek and all he does is piss people off and do inappropriate things that would mean he would be banned if it wasn't a cartoon.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TV

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)