Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lordcookie

TV Derek - New Channel 4 Comedy from Ricky Gervais

281 posts in this topic

Just saw Epsiode 2, mich better than the first. Really enjoyed it.

Just saw Epsiode 2, mich better than the first. Really enjoyed it.

I guess it's better when drunk :)

karl Pilkington is a good actor. Who knew? ;)

This is so patronising and heavy handed, it's like a kids pantomime at times. It isn't funny either, more importantly.

Karl is good in this because he's basically playing himself! Him moaning about fixing things reminded me of the 'A day in the life' podcast.

'Fixing things that Suzanne has FUCKED up!'

Karl is good in this because he's basically playing himself!

I thought the same about gervais as brent :D

Gervais is pretty much the worst thing in this. Apart from the drunk guy, forgot his name.

Also agree that I would not really call it a comedy. There is the odd laugh in there but they are far from the best bits. While heavy handed I think the sentimental moments are the best, such as Karl's little rant at the end of episode one and Victoria's (also heavy handed admittedly) turnaround in episode 2.

If Karl wasn't in this I would have dropped it by now. Not really my kind of thing at all, it's far too sugary and really not very funny.

Has there just been the pilot and the two recent episodes?

I like it, think it's good.

I like it too, for the aforementioned reasons. There is a place for sentimentality, and those expecting outright funniness miss the point.

There is a place for sentimentality

There's a place for glib biscuit-tin sentimentality too. On the top of biscuit tins.

Weird how you keep watching Gervais's stuff Clippa.

I'm enjoying derek so far. I'll keep watching it, thanks.

Yes it lays it on think but I'm loving it. It's not really a comedy at all. I think it's because I had 2 grandparents who did the care home thing so the show really gets under my skin. If it as a show it makes even 1 person visit their parent/grandparent an extra time or someone volunteers to work a bit in a care home then I'd say the show has more than justified its existence.

I'm liking it, they need more of Pilkington going off on one though. BULLSHIT!

He's been doing the derek character for years. Channel 4 suspiciously (we now know why :D ) removed all footage of him from youtube a while ago including an interview with merchant and gervais that they gave during their days as rubbernecker (which included jimmy carr) where gervais was talking about the derek character and it was pretty much the same exchange that appears in this snippet from a 2001 article here

the Rubbernecker show did bring one of Ricky's oldest characters to the attention of the world, in the form of Derek, described in one of the national newspapers simply as 'poor Derek'. "Derek," Ricky begins, "is just a nice, simple lad who sees the world differently." "Yeah," says Steve. "That's the corporate party line. Toeing the party line. The man who sees the world differently. Brilliant."

Of course during his Science tour he did an impression of an autograph hunter which was pretty much Derek but done in a mocking sense as opposed to with the "affection" he has for his current character.

I must admit, I would indeed be shocked if Ricky Gervais managed to produce anything that could be described as nuanced. Certainly these days.

Like him or loathe him though Zok, Derek is, at least, slightly more nuanced than the autograph hunter character, surely? All I'm saying is that it's hardly surprising that he used to do an embryonic version of the character in his live act.

clippa's rubbernecker thing is closer to the truth, I reckons.

/plays sad piano

Whatever you say about this show, I went in expecting to be offended and I've almost cried twice while watching. once for each episode I've seen so far.

The two I watched were the episode with the ring and the one with the community service girl.

I don't think it's just about sad stuff either. I found it quite touching when the main woman was complimenting her on how good she was at the job and everything that involved.

I'm really enjoying this and am surprised at how well they've managed to have an autistic character without him being there to point and laugh at, wish Gervais would cut out the constant gurning though as its hard to dissociatie it with him and his previous jokes targeting people.