Formula 1 2012

• Please log in to reply
762 replies to this topic

#1 djbhammer

djbhammer
  • Members
  • 2900 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

I know this has been mentioned in the F1 2011 thread but this deserves it's own thread!

http://www.codemaste...m/uk/f12012/pc/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCX8FktGEkU&feature=player_embedded

#2 John0

John0
  • Members
  • 4435 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

Really looking forward to hearing what all the new features are... the tutorial stuff sounded really good and is exactly what's needed if you're a bit of a noob... might encourage more people to turn the assists off and really get the most out of the game.

And "wide-ranging technical and gameplay advancements and extensive competitive and co-operative multiplayer components" :omg:

#3 Rev

Rev
  • Members
  • 24289 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:10 PM

I've barely played 11 yet. Oops.

#4 Varnsen

Varnsen
  • Members
  • 1284 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

Wicked. F1 2011 provided me with some of the best game racing highlights ever. Never ever gotten into the zone so regularly with a game. Completely brilliant.

And god yes, some tutorials to get people really into how this all works? for me that'd be so good. I started my season on almost easy but gradually tuned the difficulty to what I wanted so I ended it with something like Hard AI, no assists but auto gears and the braking line (shut up Meerman) and was really improving.

Some of the longer races I had on this game were just so damn exciting. Very excited for this. Especially if I got a steering wheel...

#5 Meerman

Meerman
  • Members
  • 23980 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

(shut up Meerman)

Pfffffffft. Assists. Pah! :P ;)

There has been a call-out to Codemasters from the rllmuk F1 regulars (and no doubt from other communities as well) ever since F1 2010 was released to have a sort of tutorial element in a future iteration, where things like tuning, track info, cornering- and braking tips and other things would be explained. Looks like that wish is going to be included. :)

Stoked for the new F1 season, and the new game!

#6 HeliosT10

HeliosT10
  • Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:26 PM

Pfffffffft. Assists. Pah! Posted Image Posted Image

There has been a call-out to Codemasters from the rllmuk F1 regulars (and no doubt from other communities as well) ever since F1 2010 was released to have a sort of tutorial element in a future iteration, where things like tuning, track info, cornering- and braking tips and other things would be explained. Looks like that wish is going to be included. Posted Image

Stoked for the new F1 season, and the new game!

We're also really excited about things here at CM, and of course we'll look to get the rllmuk community as involved as possible during the run-up to launch like we did last year :)

#7 djbhammer

djbhammer
  • Members
  • 2900 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

Great stuff Helios, just what we wanted to hear! :hat:

#8 Boozy The Clown

Boozy The Clown
  • Members
  • 12952 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

http://www.eurogamer...taying-on-track

New Eurogamer Preview.

#9 Boozy The Clown

Boozy The Clown
  • Members
  • 12952 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

http://www.eurogamer...classic-f1-cars

Codemasters is looking into bringing classic F1 to its officially licensed take on the sport, saying that while it won't make the cut for this year's game it'll likely turn up soon after.

The idea of introducing classic cars to the series is one that's long been called for by the community, and it's an idea that Codemasters is now actively pursuing.

"We've discussed the complexity of doing that, especially with defunct teams or sponsors no longer around, alcohol and cigarette advertising, drivers no longer here and the trusts involved," F1 2012 creative director Stephen Hood told Eurogamer as the veil was lifted from this year's model.

"It's something we've always wanted to do at Codemasters and we're looking at it quite heavily now. It won't be 2012 but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns up not long after. We're in negotiations with people now."

Previous official F1 games have tinkered with classic cars - Sony Liverpool's Formula One Championship Edition featured a selection of classics from Alfa's 158 through to the Williams FW18 that took Damon Hill to the 1996 title, while Papyrus' Grand Prix Legends - one of the most highly regarded takes on F1 - had the 1967 season as its prime focus.

F1 2012 launches later this year, and is part of a three-pronged attack on the license from Codemasters in the coming months, with free-to-play effort F1 Online: The Game joining an as yet unrevealed family game that's also coming from Codemasters Birmingham.

#10 EdCarnby

EdCarnby
  • Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

If you don't have Sky, does the game only let you race on half of the tracks?

#11 John0

John0
  • Members
  • 4435 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

http://www.videogame...ood_part_1.html

In depth interview with Steve Hood. Much more encouraging than that one that went up on Eurogamer a week or so ago... I'm excited!

#12 Meerman

Meerman
  • Members
  • 23980 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

Can I translate that to 'we've increased the gravitational pull', or is that too simple?

#13 John0

John0
  • Members
  • 4435 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

That sounds more like the kind of thing they were doing in 2010.. tweaking other settings to create the unnatural grip needed to make it more playable. This sounds like they're getting the core things right and don't have to fudge other stuff as much because things are behaving more akin to the real world. I hope so anyway.

#14 kiroquai

kiroquai
  • Members
  • 7131 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

Yeah. I mean, what he said about wheel users prefer 2011 with their own setup is true; basically all we're doing with the setups is stiffening the car a lot to stabilise the rear end. It's still not as grippy at 2010 (in my opinion) and the feedback the car gives is much, much better, so I am guessing they're taking the car handling cues from that a little with 2012 - make the back end more stable without players having to go extreme with springs.

Really looking forward to it. 2011's provided us with epic races in our forum league, and am sure 2012 will continue to do the same! Said it before, but nice having your favourite sport's video game handled by people who understand and like the sport in the first place.

EDIT: Oh, and also seriously cool that Steve, Lee and others took time out to race us a few months ago to see if they could learn anything about what players were doing or how the races were panning out. Hopefully it proved useful :).

#15 Meerman

Meerman
  • Members
  • 23980 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

Well if they're really going for the grippy feel, then they should adjust the force feedback as well. You can't really tell that you're about to lose grip through the wheel in 2011. It only tells you visually.

#16 SMD

SMD
  • Members
  • 20837 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:18 AM

I would LOVE classic cars, I always wondered what the issues were with that, if it required a new engine (no pun intended) or was licensing. Would love the 80s and 90s covered.

#17 kiroquai

kiroquai
  • Members
  • 7131 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

Meers: I dunno. There are a few times when the back's snapped on me in it, but quite often I do get a good feel through the MS Wireless Wheel.

Good example would be the 5th gear left/4th gear right in S2 in China. In our test race when I was chasing LeChuck I could feel the car getting a bit loose around the left hander and was making a few corrections to keep the nose pointing the right way.

#18 Captain LeChuck

Captain LeChuck
  • Members
  • 14152 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

Likewise with turn 8 in Turkey. :)

#19 kiroquai

kiroquai
  • Members
  • 7131 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

I think for me the thing that pointed towards the aero probably not being quite sorted was 130R at Suzuka. With default setup the back would come round when in reality the amount of downforce generated at that kind of speed should suck the car onto the circuit. Lowering the car and making the springs stiffer sorted that.

It wasn't bad, mind, and it's great fun to drive on the limit consistently, which was my major worry before the game came out.

#20 Meerman

Meerman
  • Members
  • 23980 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

Don't get me wrong, the ffb in 2011 is very good. But it can be even better. And maybe this time they'll nail it, who knows?

#21 John0

John0
  • Members
  • 4435 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:46 PM

Yeah it is good, and you can catch it sometimes.. but have to agree that quite often I find myself easing off the throttle and slightly correcting the car based on experience, tyres, and whether I *might* lose the back end, rather than when I know I'm going to. Sometimes it's gone before I've had any feedback at all.. I'd say turn 8 in Turkey is one of those places. Or I might just be rubbish :)

One thing that seems a lot different from real life in 2012 is (purely based on watching onboards obviously), you can see drivers on full opposite lock around corners, or properly throwing the wheel side to side quite a lot. In fact it seems fairly normal. Especially Alonso in that Ferrari. In 2012 you can't really rely on that very often. On most tracks you have to shove the front wing down and get the car stable or you don't really stand much of a chance of not spinning and being quick. You don't seem to be able to fight the car with the same level of aggression, and lose side-to-side steering, that it looks like you can in real life. That could be a talent thing as well though I suppose!

In summary then, I'm not as good as Alonso.

#22 Captain LeChuck

Captain LeChuck
  • Members
  • 14152 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

In contrast to that, I have had a few moments where I've quickly gone side to side with the steering wheel. Turkey was one of them, and as i was driving the Ferrari, I felt just like Nando ;)

#23 Boozy The Clown

Boozy The Clown
  • Members
  • 12952 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

1st in game pics ? Austin.

#24 King A

King A
  • Members
  • 7983 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:16 PM

Circuit of the Americas footage:

#25 englishbob

englishbob
  • Members
  • 1258 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:42 PM

We're also really excited about things here at CM, and of course we'll look to get the rllmuk community as involved as possible during the run-up to launch like we did last year :)

Helios, can we have some sort of adjustable analogue sensitivity settings please for the controller this time around, especially the LT/RT triggers for accel/brake?

As it stands at the moment you only have to depress the trottle about half way to get full throttle, and its so easy to spin. Or does the controller not really have that level of sensitivity inbuilt? (I'm taking Xbox 360).

Cheers.

#26 djbhammer

djbhammer
  • Members
  • 2900 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:20 PM

Oooh, brake bias is in! Looks great as ever, and the new American circuit looks challenging.

Just hoping that the formation lap may have sneaked in too??

#27 Marmite

Marmite
  • Supporters
  • 3081 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:15 AM

Cockpit cam footage:

!

#28 Meerman

Meerman
  • Members
  • 23980 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:18 AM

controller

Posted Image

#29 Boozy The Clown

Boozy The Clown
  • Members
  • 12952 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:56 AM

Hey meers we can't all be stupid (how do I do that cross out line thingy) enough to be talked into buying £300 steering wheels ya know. Truth is the past 2 F1 games haven't been up to scratch for controller users. There's been something iffy about the handling that has made getting around each track proportionally more difficult than it should be, especially when compared to how smooth it is using a wheel.

I'd guess that the maximum number of users who buy F1 and use a wheel couldn't be much bigger than 20% of overall sales (pulled that one out of my arse in case you're wondering) so a greater focus on making the controller satisfactory is a pretty reasonable request.

#30 Meerman

Meerman
  • Members
  • 23980 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:00 AM

Boozy, I was joking. Calm down you overly tense bastard. :hug:

I needed a reason to post the Little Bill picture to English Bob's post, and the word controller was it. It's a wee in-joke between us two, so untangle your knickers mate. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users