• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Bruciebabie

Bruciebabie
  • Members (restricted)
  • 6780 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

We have been trying the following recently:

Bhut Jolokia. Limited Edition. About as hot as you want a curry to be. You certainly know about it when it is served up. Very tomato based.

Goan Vindaloo. Special Edition. Very nice, complex, tasty sauce that is just pleasantly hot.

Black Pepper Masala. New. This is very nice and very different. Still pleasantly hot.

These are available in most supermarker chains for a quid each and are well worth having a try out.

#2 Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay
  • Members
  • 7946 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:17 PM

Their new adverts are so unrelentingly awful and contrived I refuse to use them until they are off the air. My eye do they drive around the country in a decorated Indian truck getting new recipes for their sauces. I can take a bit of creativity in a campaign, but to outright lie about the origins of their recipes is a step too far.

#3 Wickedkitten

Wickedkitten
  • Members
  • 53506 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

I've got enough to last for quite some time

Posted Image

In addition to another one in the fridge. They are really quite handy for stir fries and that

#4 Poppalarge

Poppalarge
  • Members
  • 7711 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:29 AM

Where can one pick these up from?

#5 Hawkeye

Hawkeye
  • Members
  • 17919 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:34 AM

When did Bruce get the Sharwoods marketing gig?

#6 Mr Cochese

Mr Cochese
  • Members
  • 25912 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:10 AM

They're not that good. Definitely no substitute for making your own, which only takes about five minutes.

#7 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 37647 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

Yep. Curry sauces man, they ain't good. Here's a tip: pick up a curry sauce in Tescos. Look at the ingredients. Buy those things, minus any unobtainable dodgy-sounding preservatives etc. Take those things home. Mash them up in a bowl. Presto.

#8 whizzo

whizzo
  • Members
  • 5766 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:16 AM

Pataks are much better. Usually to be found in one of the big 4 for under a quid a jar aswell.

#9 Labradigor

Labradigor
  • Members
  • 18890 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:47 PM

Nothing beats making your own gravies for a curry style dish. Very hard to go back to jars after.

#10 doublethemeat

doublethemeat
  • Members
  • 2807 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

I find jar sauces always taste to preserved and thus over seasoned and spiced since the ingredients inside are far from fresh.

#11 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 37647 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

The lloyd grossman ones are OK, botulism aside. Pataks/Sharwoods etc always taste like they've got loads of sugar in to me. Same goes with dolmio etc. It's madness, just spend the extra few minutes making your own and you'll save money and get better food. If you're really so pressed for time that you can't throw a few things into a pan instead of pouring it out of a jar, you should get a rustlers burger. Of course if you're cooking for one it isn't always handy to have things like lemongrass and so on in the kitchen, and sometimes all the ingredients you want aren't in the shop. But if that's the case, get creative or make something else. Your basic curry sauce isn't much more than a tin of tomatoes, some onion and a couple of teaspoons of curry powder

I used to know a guy who (in order to save money and lose weight) would make a 'curry' each night by blending a tin of beans with a teaspoon of curry powder in a blender, then heat it up in a pan and tip it onto a piece of toast. :lol:

#12 Bruciebabie

Bruciebabie
  • Members (restricted)
  • 6780 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:28 PM

OK. I have a cupboard full of spices and herbs. We buy them on our travels around the world. Including things that most of you won't have heard of.
I have been cooking since I was a toddler. Say half a century. I cannot remember not being able to cook. I cook every day of the week and have done so, except for holidays, since I left home as a teenager.
Of course it is easy to make a curry from base ingredients. Either dried or go to the asian supermarket and buy them fresh.
I prefer this because it avoids bad fats like ghee and palm oil.

However these specific sauces that this thread is about are new and different recipies. So worth a try for less than a quid.

Tonight I cooked turkey in taragon and ginger. All from base ingredients as usual. The leftovers have gone into a container to be microwaved at work tomorrow.

#13 Bruciebabie

Bruciebabie
  • Members (restricted)
  • 6780 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

I used to know a guy who (in order to save money and lose weight) would make a 'curry' each night by blending a tin of beans with a teaspoon of curry powder in a blender, then heat it up in a pan and tip it onto a piece of toast. :lol:

When I was working 100 hour weeks and had negative money, building All Formats Computer Fairs, I often had a can of beans as a meal and added various herbs and spices to make them palatable and to add variety.

#14 Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay
  • Members
  • 7946 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:32 PM

OK. I have a cupboard full of spices and herbs. We buy them on our travels around the world. Including things that most of you won't have heard of.

Don't be such a dildo, Bruce.

#15 Bruciebabie

Bruciebabie
  • Members (restricted)
  • 6780 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

Don't be such a dildo, Bruce.

Turkish Saron. Which is not the same thing at all as normal safron.
Tanka. Look it up.

You would be amazed how many different herbs ad spices are used around the world. Obviously in Indonesia, the Caribbean, Indonesia etc it is possible to see many of them growing and to buy them fresh. Grenada is an especially good place to go shopping.

#16 Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay
  • Members
  • 7946 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

It's a bit rich being condescending when you've started a thread about jars of sauces.

#17 Wickedkitten

Wickedkitten
  • Members
  • 53506 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:39 AM

But it's also rich coming in a thread about jars and sauces and assuming that just because someone might use them that they also don't know how to make a proper curry.

#18 Dude Ranch

Dude Ranch
  • Members
  • 20272 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

Perhaps Bruce will share a recipe. One of his rather than a google. Then we can all learn about ingredients we haven't heard of and what he prefers to use dried or fresh from an Asian supermarket etc. etc. and so on and so forth.

#19 Bruciebabie

Bruciebabie
  • Members (restricted)
  • 6780 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:14 AM

Last night I peeled and chopped up rough a lump of fresh ginger and a red onion and put them to sweat on a low heat in some olive oil.
Then added some finely chopped red chilli (enough to add taste, not to make it hot.)
In went the turkey cut into strips to be very gently pan fried and reduced to get rid of the excess water.
Then in went a tin of chopped tomatoes, some sun dried tomatoes, some finely chopped garlic and some dried tarragon.
It was then stirred and left to simmer for 10 minutes before serving.

The leftovers (I deliberately always cook too much) are in the fridge here at Kwalee and will be microwaved for my lunch.

#20 Matt G

Matt G
  • Members
  • 3926 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:11 PM

POPULAR

Attached File  Hipster-Bruce.jpg   54.41KB   3 downloads

#21 El Spatula

El Spatula
  • Members
  • 6933 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

Last night I peeled and chopped up rough a lump of fresh ginger and a red onion and put them to sweat on a low heat in some olive oil.
Then added some finely chopped red chilli (enough to add taste, not to make it hot.)
In went the turkey cut into strips to be very gently pan fried and reduced to get rid of the excess water.
Then in went a tin of chopped tomatoes, some sun dried tomatoes, some finely chopped garlic and some dried tarragon.

The leftovers (I deliberately always cook too much) are in the fridge here at Kwalee and will be microwaved for my lunch.

What is this "garlik" and "targanon"?

#22 mirodo

mirodo
  • Supporters
  • 1659 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

Turkish Saron. Which is not the same thing at all as normal safron.

Indeed. It's missing two "f"s - the latter is only missing one.

#23 Bruciebabie

Bruciebabie
  • Members (restricted)
  • 6780 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:12 PM

The more I use it the more I hate Safari. It changes words, seemingly at random, all the time.

#24 Chadruharazzeb

Chadruharazzeb
  • Members
  • 10814 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

Have you given a name to this odd sounding meal?

#25 Bruciebabie

Bruciebabie
  • Members (restricted)
  • 6780 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

Have you given a name to this odd sounding meal?

Food.

Actually it was rather nice. The ginger and tarragon complemented each other quite well.

#26 David Blunkett

David Blunkett
  • Members
  • 12413 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:18 PM

Really not a fan at all of jarred curries they just don't taste "fresh" enough for me. Having said that I do really like Patak's pastes - particularly the Vindaloo/Madras ones. They make an amazing curry - very simply. Fry off a good few tablespoons of the paste (the more you put in the hotter - we like ours very hot) whilst at the same frying off some chopped onions and garlic. I blend up a tin of toms, chuck into the spices then puree the onions/garlic mix. Everything then goes into the slow cooker with a good squeeze of tomatoe puree and roughly chopped lamb - something like the neck is ideal. Couple of hours in the slow cooker and its absolutely sublime.

I like to serve with rice (http://www.deliaonli...rfect-rice.html - but with some cardamom pods chucked in as well), a decent handful of fresh chopped coriander on top and a side helping of natural yoghurt with plenty of fresh lime and if its in the garden - chopped mint. It knocks the socks of 90% of the curries I've eaten out. Sure its a little more work than opening a jar of sauce - but its really worth it, pretty damn simple and absolutely scrummy.

#27 snowbind

snowbind
  • Members
  • 29377 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:28 PM

Another thread of pure win.

#28 Dapple

Dapple
  • Members
  • 2052 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:07 PM

It's a bit rich being condescending when you've started a thread about jars of sauces.

But it's also rich coming in a thread about jars and sauces and assuming that just because someone might use them that they also don't know how to make a proper curry.

All this talk of being rich makes me hanker for a curry made with a delicious sauce from the Sharwood's range.

I'll have to buy some when I'm next in Grenada, topping up on salad cream and fish sticks (look them up).

#29 MK-1601

MK-1601
  • Members
  • 11482 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:18 AM

The more I use it the more I hate Safari. It changes words, seemingly at random, all the time.

Don't use it then? There are better browsers on every platform where Safari is available.

#30 Silent Runner

Silent Runner
  • Supporters
  • 14002 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:55 AM

Another thread of pure win.

"I have been cooking since I was a toddler"

I'm fucking dying here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users