• Announcements

• TehStu

Login with your DISPLAY NAME, not old username   02/10/16

IP.board v4 has changed how you login. Previously, you had a username and a display name. The username would be used to login to the forum, whereas the display name would appear alongside posts. It's possible they were one and the same, but also possible that they changed over time, as you updated your display name. From now on, login with your display name. The username no longer exists.
    • TehStu

iPhone users: please read this   02/10/16

The burger menu may be missing from the top right of the forum when viewing on an iPhone. Until resolved, here is the direct url to the login page.  
    • TehStu

ALL spoilers are currently visible   02/10/16

As posts have not yet been rebuilt, all spoilers are currently visible. If you're following something (film/game) and want to avoid spoilers, AVOID the relevant thread until the post rebuild is complete. I'll delete this announcement when it's done.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Strangelite

iOS Enscripted

520 posts in this topic

[quote name='boybrown' timestamp='1330002895' post='8458985']
A shocking 14:52 for todays. How i didn't see it before i don't know. I was hung up on the middle word of the title. I went for conventional words which threw me.

17th Feb now done just the quote for 18th as i have the film title.
[/quote]

can you give me a clue for the 17th of Feb one? This is my last puzzle and it's killing me..

Feb 17th

[spoiler]the 2nd 3 letter word is the same as the one in the film title and is one of the most common. That should give you a letter of the 1st 3 letter word and get you going[/spoiler]

As Mortis said, his hint should get you going if you need more (i'm thinking of how i can help) just ask :-)

Argh,
[spoiler] I'm presuming we're all talking about the word being 'the' which leaves me with a three letter word with a h in the middle, or Shy, Why, (can't be anything else can it?) but then that puts a y in some obviously wrong places.. (like the second letter of the first word of the film) ironically I already Sussed the 'the' because of the case[/spoiler]

[quote name='Strangelite' timestamp='1330022937' post='8459762']
AHA! I got it, nice one guys, good clue... [img]http://www.rllmukforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]

I'm now completely clear of puzzles! [img]http://www.rllmukforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/sherlock.gif[/img]
[/quote]

i was trying to reply to your last post but couldn't work out how to add in spoiler tags lol
Glad you got that one. I still can't get the quote for the 18th :doh:

[quote name='boybrown' timestamp='1330023348' post='8459776']
i was trying to reply to your last post but couldn't work out how to add in spoiler tags lol
Glad you got that one. I still can't get the quote for the 18th [img]http://norwichphotos.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/doh.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Have you got the title of the film? That's pretty key to that one. There are only two letters amongst the first five, and you're obviously looking for a vowel and a consonant. You could probably just go through all the combinations and it wouldn't take that long, but to make it quicker try and work out whether in xyxyyz, x is more likely to be a vowel or whether y is.

After you've got the title (the last letter is obvious, once you've got the rest) you should have some letters in a few of the three-letter words in the quote, and you can start playing around with what they can be.

Another thing you might find useful for this puzzle and others...

[SPOILER]... is to try substituting common letters. So see what letters in your quote are common, and change them to letters that are common in English, so vowels, and S, etc, then see if any words jump out.[/SPOILER]

[quote name='toythatkills' timestamp='1330024970' post='8459827']
Have you got the title of the film? That's pretty key to that one. There are only two letters amongst the first five, and you're obviously looking for a vowel and a consonant. You could probably just go through all the combinations and it wouldn't take that long, but to make it quicker try and work out whether in xyxyyz, x is more likely to be a vowel or whether y is.

After you've got the title (the last letter is obvious, once you've got the rest) you should have some letters in a few of the three-letter words in the quote, and you can start playing around with what they can be.

Another thing you might find useful for this puzzle and others...

[SPOILER]... is to try substituting common letters. So see what letters in your quote are common, and change them to letters that are common in English, so vowels, and S, etc, then see if any words jump out.[/SPOILER]
[/quote]

Cheers, yes i have got the film title. It should be easy from there really but my mind has gone blank. I'll have a play around and see if i can clear it before tomorrows effort :)

I've managed to do a few more now, slowly getting better (maybe). 17th february is one of the two I've got left; can anyone tell me the third letter of the first three letter word? Just can't think what it could be.

[quote name='monsly' timestamp='1330025712' post='8459854']
I've managed to do a few more now, slowly getting better (maybe). 17th february is one of the two I've got left; can anyone tell me the third letter of the first three letter word? Just can't think what it could be.
[/quote]

[spoiler] if you mean the first word of the quote then it's "e" [/spoiler] Edited by Kryptonian
fixed spoiler tags

I'm really struggling on today's, 23rd February.

[spoiler]
I've got "I'm not a xxx xxx xxxxx. I'm THE xxx xxx xxx" and no idea what the film is called. A hint please?
[/spoiler]

Have you had a go at working out the last word of the title? You've filled some letters in already, and there really aren't many things it could be. You've got three of the five letters, just try different letters at the start and the word should jump out at you.

[spoiler]I got 'wanka' but as much as it amused me, it didn't work.[/spoiler]

:lol:

Keep trying. As soon as the first letter's in place you'll be able to see the word, since you'll have nearly all of it. It's fairly well known as well, that last word should be the key to the rest of it unless you live under a rock.

This is the first letter in that last word, LAST RESORT.

[SPOILER]P[/SPOILER]

That made all the difference.

Also I felt like a massive idiot when I realised what the two letter word in the title was. :facepalm:

Cheers!

Any chance of a clue for Feb 13th? it just isn't clicking and my OCD won't let me start a new one until I complete this one :(

[quote name='humdrum' timestamp='1330037725' post='8460256']
Any chance of a clue for Feb 13th? it just isn't clicking and my OCD won't let me start a new one until I complete this one :(
[/quote]

As a starting point, look at the first word. There's a pattern of capitalisation there that means it can really only be one type of word, and there's only really one possibility for those first two letters.

If you get those two (and [b]a[/b]) you'll have the middle part of a four letter word later in the quote. I think this one's pretty easy if you work out (and have seen) the film, but difficult if you haven't.

[quote name='And' timestamp='1330071292' post='8460551']
2.24 today. One of my better scores.
[/quote]

1.18 ;)

(and it now occurs to me that I've seen basically no films in the last 15 years)

I did today's quickly too - 1.51, first time I've been under 2 minutes. On the opposite end of the scale, I'm up to 51 minutes on February 17th and I'm still stuck:

[spoiler]Is the first word in the quote 'the'? I thought the second three letter word and the title were 'the' but I've been told differently. Any help that would be much appreciated. Also, is this a famous film? I just can't think what it is. This one is driving me mad.
[/spoiler]

Have you tried to think what "2-abcd" might be? What words can be presented like that in a way that makes sense?

Cheers, but the only thing I can think of is:

[spoiler]
2-time, which doesn't seem to make much sense as that leaves hardly any e's in the quote and title. Gah, total love/hate thing with this game!
[/spoiler]

Got today's (24th Feb) in less than 5 minutes, after struggling for ages yesterday.

This game has me like a beaten wife.

5:37 for me today and i'm pleased with that. I got the film very quickly but struggled a bit with the quote. Never seen the film. Its on my huge list of films to see.

Im still stuck on feb 18th. Grrr. I have the title but i need help!!!!