What are you working on?

• Please log in to reply
505 replies to this topic

#31 therearerules

therearerules
  • Members
  • 26158 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

I've now started work on a metroid style game. Going pretty well so far, I've got screen transitions working, sloped floors, a gun which bounces off thhe walls and floors and another gun which slows everything down depending upon proximity to the bullet. It's all only got one rectangle for graphics at the moment though, I hate doing the graphics.

#32 OogyBoogy

OogyBoogy
  • Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

A while ago I did a small proof-of-concept of a platformer. Working with solid cubes and rectangles will free your time up to work on the core of the game, rather than being slowed down by the development of game graphics.

#33 quangdx

quangdx
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:31 AM

Currently working on writing a new game every single week of the year.
Game number 8 is already 2 days late, it involves a spaceship trying to escape an exploding star,
while avoiding crates that get in the way.

#34 Spacehost

Spacehost
  • Supporters
  • 30453 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

Does anyone else think games would have a lot less crates in them if they weren't the default object you're taught to draw in 3D programming?

#35 quangdx

quangdx
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

Does anyone else think games would have a lot less crates in them if they weren't the default object you're taught to draw in 3D programming?

Crates are also a very good size as a building block for game worlds.

#36 Sledge

Sledge
  • Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:15 PM

Well after my iOS game sank like a stone I thought I'd give the whole thing one more go but with something more niche, namely some multi-choice interactive fiction. I *had* been sitting on my hands (well, doing other stuff entirely) waiting for a Monkey framework to turn up that could handle the text-layout, however I happened across PhoneGap last week and seeing as HTML5 is perfectly suited to the task, spent a bit of time over the weekend writing a framework to build the actual game(s) on top of. I have to admit to being surprised at how much fun JavaScript is to faff around with (functions as first-class objects? -- handy!) and got the basic engine working with the minimum blood, sweat and tears...

Posted Image

A lil' test-screenie there, obv. The main feature yet to be added is the local storage of the game state and I want to explore transitions and button-animations a bit more, but I really like the idea of working on a project where most of my time is spent on the content rather than the tech. Not really sure what genre of game to write (solid dungeon trawl, sci-fi, horror, summat satirical even?) at this point but I definitely think there's scope to differentiate oneself from the digital game-books currently on the market.

#37 The Bag

The Bag
  • Members
  • 3794 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:27 AM

Nice, I hope you keep that style.

#38 Skykid

Skykid
  • Members
  • 2405 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:05 PM

We'd see a lot more teapots in games if that were the case.

#39 Sledge

Sledge
  • Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

Nice, I hope you keep that style.

Cheers -- I was meticulously careful to ensure that I wound up owning the IP for everything I commissioned for my previous effort so, as funny as it would be, I don't see any way of incorporating any meme/troll/rage stuff into a commercial endeavour. (And, as it was pointed out to me yesterday, the fella above would've made such an excellent shopkeeper too. What a shame!)

#40 Cosmic Squirrel

Cosmic Squirrel
  • Members
  • 26491 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:53 PM

When i was looking into IOS development i too was also thinking off using those memes for a game. But i decided against it due to knowing someone might have an issue with using those pics..

#41 Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic
  • Members
  • 8382 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:27 AM

Just spent the evening hacking the shit out of some code to get it to work with Google's Native Client... I wish it had a future...

#42 The Bag

The Bag
  • Members
  • 3794 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:29 AM

NaCl or your code?

#43 Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic
  • Members
  • 8382 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

A little bit of both! Having a hard time getting things done. My day job is a non gamedev coding gig so it's hard to find the time. NaCl is great, but obvious locked in to Chrome and all I see these days is lots of people mucking with WebGL.

#44 The Bag

The Bag
  • Members
  • 3794 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

In the office doing some work on the game I'm contracting on writing some AI behaviours to get the NPCs to play a tag like game (being deliberately vague) with the player. And honestly, the way I'm feeling at the moment I'd much rather be doing something else but this is really the last chance I have to do it. As usual with this stuff it's very simple to make them too good or absolutely crap, it's finding that middle ground where they're good enough and still fun. That's the biggest goal in game AI really, make it fun (with a fraction of the framerate) - everything you do is in service to the game, what you write isn't AI in any academic or real sense, it's what's needed. I can easily get them to avoid the player, so once the player is 'it' he'll never catch them but that's not fun - the challenge here is to make them act in such a way that they avoid the player but not in a perfect way, but do it without them appearing stupid :omg:

#45 The Bag

The Bag
  • Members
  • 3794 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

success! Not perfect, but I'm happy enough with it and it's very like I've watched humans do the same thing in co-op, so yay.

#46 smithstock

smithstock
  • Members
  • 5359 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

Currently making a "Nokia-Snake" game using Game Maker.

I have the basics of it working already but am looking to change the aspect ratio and enhance the game play in order to not only increase difficulty but not restrict it to a single room.

#47 quangdx

quangdx
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

Latest game release was 5 days late, which is getting out of hand, since I was supposed to do a new one every 7 days.
So the next two days will be spent trying to complete a new game.
Gonna be a simple, punch and kick the objects that are being thrown at you.

#48 James Ape

James Ape
  • Members
  • 2577 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

Does anyone use tiddlywiki? I first came across it a few years ago, but never really used it until recently, finding it useful for taking notes, and writing down ideas / links etc.

Anyway If you are interested I made a custom template for it, Or to put it more accurately I combined a few available customizations to clean up the default layout and add stuff useful to a programmer like Syntax Highlighting. it's here: http://dl.dropbox.co...late/empty.html (right click,save as), you'll need the TiddlySaver.jar too from here http://dl.dropbox.co...TiddlySaver.jar or just get it from the official website http://www.tiddlywiki.com/

#49 green7

green7
  • Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

After almost finishing my first Android game 'Simple Snowboarding' using AndEngine I was looking to make a Galaxian-style shooter using AndEngine for my next project. Then Unity3D started giving away Android and iOS licences so I wanted to try that.

Unity 3.5 won't run on my ancient PC (2400 Athlon, Radeon 2600HD Pro) so after a lost week of trawling forums and getting 3.3 to run but not compile for Android I'm probably going to return to my original plan of a shooter using AndEngine.

Unless I get sidetracked by something shiney...

#50 darkwave

darkwave
  • Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

We've just released the trailer for our game due out in May on XBLIG. PC release will follow shortly after.

Swing by www.utopianworldofsandwiches.com/games/ to take a look.

#51 Spacehost

Spacehost
  • Supporters
  • 30453 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:59 AM

Since I'm off to Game in Scotland tomorrow I thought I'd spend the evening trying to cram my Dare game from last year down from iPad to my HTC Desire. It felt like trying to crush a beloved child into a suitcase to smuggle them onto a plane and the results are pretty similar. :( On the plus side, it does work, albeit with the framerate jittering all over the and the textures looking horrible.

#52 The Bag

The Bag
  • Members
  • 3794 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:21 PM

This week I have been mostly fixing TCR issues, achievements not unlocking, fun with pulling out memory cards... at the moment I'm coming fast to the conclusion that if you rip out a memory card during a game then your deserve everything you get :coffee: but these issues and actually having to ship a game means I've got to care.

#53 AK Bell

AK Bell
  • Members
  • 4966 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

This week I have been mostly fixing TCR issues, achievements not unlocking, fun with pulling out memory cards... at the moment I'm coming fast to the conclusion that if you rip out a memory card during a game then your deserve everything you get :coffee: but these issues and actually having to ship a game means I've got to care.

360? Having to cleanly deal with profile changes that force a kick out of the game at ANY point is my favourite of the last minute TCR bugs.

#54 The Bag

The Bag
  • Members
  • 3794 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:01 PM

360? Having to cleanly deal with profile changes that force a kick out of the game at ANY point is my favourite of the last minute TCR bugs.

yeah 360, we're using the Fable codebase for Heroes so this is stuff we've dealt with before but changes to the save system means we've got stuff to sort again. Start with multiple storage devices but decide not to save, start game, remove memory card/usb device, quit to front end at this point the storage devices are re-enumerated and because you only have a single storage device it invisibly selects it (as it would when starting the game with only a single storage device) and the game will save despite the last interaction the user had in this a confirming they wanted to continue without saving. Head. Desk. Head. Desk.

Fortunately we can for the select storage device to display, so it's an easy fix... once you've located a real memory card and found where to disable the internal memory card in dev kit.

#55 Skykid

Skykid
  • Members
  • 2405 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

I'm polishing off something for launch that our team built for a 24 hour hack- it's a story told through a pretend Facebook-like platform, where you can peel back the status updates and find out what's really being thought.

It's a bit artsy, but been a lot of fun to get going.

#56 Rob Rule

Rob Rule
  • Members
  • 18843 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:25 PM

I was under the impression that you left Lionhead, The Bag. Non?

#57 quangdx

quangdx
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:42 AM

Still slogging through 52 games in 1 year.
Finally managed to finish game number 11, a little bit of pew pew pew action.
Apeirogon.

#58 Spacehost

Spacehost
  • Supporters
  • 30453 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:44 AM

My gameplay metrics system is finally coming together. Graphs a go-go.

#59 The Bag

The Bag
  • Members
  • 3794 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:44 AM

I was under the impression that you left Lionhead, The Bag. Non?

I've been back as a contractor for a few months to help finish Heroes. Then it's back to my own stuff.

#60 Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic
  • Members
  • 8382 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

This week I've been working on memory allocation for my game. Originally I was using a big chunk of preallocated memory for level data and manually cleaning up any OpenGL objects, operating system handles and such manually instead of relying on C++ destructors which was a bit of a pain.

My first attempt at a fix was using smart pointer wrappers for objects that would manually call their destructors when they went out of scope, but this wasn't good enough so I implemented Scope Stacks as per an article DICE posted re: the memory allocators they used in Battlefield 3.

So now, wrap my linear allocator in a scope stack which keeps a linked list of function pointers to destructors in reverse order creation. When it goes out of scope, it does all the cleanup and nukes the memory by rewinding it.

I'm happy enough with it now to integrate into my game and get on with the cooler looking stuff (Although I really enjoy lower level C/C++ programming so I had a fucking awesome week!)

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users