Photo

Katawa Shoujo - a dating sim. Kinda. (18)

PC

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 40840 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:11 AM

Couldn't find a thread...

Katawa Shoujo is a bishōjo-style visual novel by Four Leaf Studios that tells a story of a young man and five young women living with varying disabilities. The game uses a traditional text and sprite-based visual novel model with an ADV-style text box running on the Ren'Py visual novel engine.
The majority of the story takes place at the fictional Yamaku High School for disabled children, located somewhere in modern Japan. Hisao Nakai, a normal boy, has his life turned upside down when a long-dormant Cardiac dysrhythmia forces him to move to a new school after a long hospitalization. Despite his difficulties, Hisao is able to find friends, and perhaps love.
The gameplay of Katawa Shoujo is choice-based, with the player reading through text and occasionally making decisions that impact events or dialogue within the story. Depending on the choices made by the player, the story branches into a path chronicling Hisao's developing relationship with one of the five heroines.

Its also got Hentai in it..

Anyway, its apparently free so if you've got time to kill...

http://katawa-shoujo.com/

Some more impresion...

http://www.rockpaper...-katawa-shoujo/

#2 Gizamaluke

Gizamaluke
  • Supporters
  • 3693 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:44 AM

[edit] Back from the pub being a dick post...

#3 crisy

crisy
  • Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:27 AM

Leigh Alexander's article on it: http://www.rockpaper...-katawa-shoujo/

It's a good read.

#4 Aardvark

Aardvark
  • Committee Member
  • 10636 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:02 AM

For all those dudes who always wanted to seduce a mangaspaz.

Sheesh...

I pos'ed this by accident instead of negging it. :(

Katawa Shoujo does sound like a game far more interesting to read about than play, which is a pity.

#5 Gique

Gique
  • Members
  • 7822 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:57 AM

Replace the title and setting in that review and you pretty much have a universal review for every "visual novel" out there..

#6 Unofficial Who

Unofficial Who
  • Members
  • 15319 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:31 AM

Replace the title and setting in that review and you pretty much have a universal review for every "visual novel" out there..

Including Phoenix Wright?

#7 Asura

Asura
  • Members
  • 19777 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

Including Phoenix Wright?

He said "pretty much". I think that qualifies things enough, considering that you've picked one good example in a genre from which a few years' output will fill a dozen shelves with DVD-sized games (seriously, they're big business in Japan). The only other decent one I can think of is Time Hollow for the DS, which wasn't up to Ace Attorney standards but wasn't completely shit either.

#8 Retroid

Retroid
  • Members
  • 7272 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

It actually seems pretty good compared to any of the ones I've tried in the past. There's actually some form of artistic merit within it, which is actually suprising.

#9 Comrade

Comrade
  • Members
  • 13185 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

This is basically made by 4chan, isn't it?

#10 Retroid

Retroid
  • Members
  • 7272 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

Apparently so, no memes in sight yet though, I'll be honest it's kind of a shame it's a hentai as the opening is pretty interesting and we need more non-hentai visual novels!

#11 Gique

Gique
  • Members
  • 7822 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:40 PM

He said "pretty much". I think that qualifies things enough, considering that you've picked one good example in a genre from which a few years' output will fill a dozen shelves with DVD-sized games (seriously, they're big business in Japan). The only other decent one I can think of is Time Hollow for the DS, which wasn't up to Ace Attorney standards but wasn't completely shit either.

I meant the pc ones.. Fate stay night, chaos head etc....

#12 MK-1601

MK-1601
  • Members
  • 11462 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

This is basically made by 4chan, isn't it?

No.

Unless you mean in the same way Consolevania could be said to have been "made by rllmuk".

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users