• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17809 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

POPULAR

I miss the thread subtitles :( And why is there no [stealth] tag goddammit, or should I tag this as a FPS or something?

Posted Image

Anyway, Shinobido is a game some of you might remember from the PS2 days. It was never released in the USA, but for some reason they did bother with a PAL version. The game was made by the original Tenchu devs, who you might also know from the Way of the Samurai series, and who went on to make Shinobido (translated: Way of the Ninja, with 'shinobi' meaning 'ninja' faq fans!) after losing the Tenchu ip as a sort of spiritual successor. It took the best elements of Tenchu, i.e. the open levels in which you could devise your own routes and approaches, and turned it up to eleven. The protagonist of Shinobido was a lot more nimble than Rikimaru, had access to loads more items with which to outwit your enemies, the game featured an alchemy system to craft those items, you could freely select which missions to take on from multiple employers, and loads more. Since then there has been a Shinobido game for the original PSP but that was fucking awful imho.

Anyway, with the release of the Vita comes the long-awaited (well, awaited by me at least) release of Shinobido 2! Check out the gameplay trailer below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lPD3UT6loo

As you can see, it looks like more of the same but the new features that stand out are the ability to float and a special move to freeze time and go in for an extra gory stealth kill. The way the game works is that there are multiple warlords at each others' throats (I think three in total) and you can accept missions from any one of them. Doing a mission for the one warlord will lower your standing with the other two, however. Furthermore, you choice of mission and employer could have an impact on the way the story unfolds.
During missions you have a main goal (assassinate someone for example) but your rewards increase if you achieve optional goals and earn a higher score at the end of the mission - for example, by not being seen at all. You earn experience points with which you can improve your stats and abilities and gold to buy items. Items which you purchase and find during missions can be combined into new items, proper ninja items to use in missions, using alchemy. Better abilities and stats and items open up new tactical possibilities, thus leading to better rewards and even more stealthy awesomeness!
Unlike Tenchu there are a lot more ways of luring and distracting guards thanks to the vastly expanded move and item lists. Your ninja also moves like lightning through the levels compared to Tenchu, he's a lot more nimble, but he also has access to old faves like the grappling hook.

Be warned that the usual downsides of these Acquire ninja stealth sims will probably be present once again: wonky controls and camera which take a bit getting used to, and not entirely convincing AI. If you enjoyed the early Tenchu titles back in the day and you're able to look past that and immerse yourself into the Ninja stealthy goodness and the surrealistic historical Japanese atmosphere, this might be worth a go. I will post my thoughts on the game once I've had a chance to play it, so you could always wait for my verdict if you want to know what a fan of Acquire ninja stealth games makes of it.

In the meantime, enjoy some screens:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Link to the original Shinobido on PS2 thread

Link to the All Things Tenchu thread

Link to the Way of the Samurai series thread

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rllmuk Final Results screens

Mr. Gerbik:
Posted Image

Shynra:
Posted Image

Doc NI, normal:
Posted Image

And Doc NI, hard:
Posted Image

#2 Epcotman

Epcotman
  • Members
  • 3427 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

Must not buy anymore launch titles for Vita. Will be really interested in it at a bargain price, later on, though.

#3 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17809 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:19 PM

By which time you'll also know if it's worth bothering with. I'm taking a huge leap of faith in the game and Acquire though, as I'm buying a brand new Vita for it!

#4 Epcotman

Epcotman
  • Members
  • 3427 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:21 PM

The reviews, so far, really haven't been too bad. Reckon, as a fan, you'll be OK.

#5 strider

strider
  • Members
  • 5465 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:21 PM

I was torn between this and gaiden, but I went with tecmos game as I still love it

#6 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17809 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

The reviews, so far, really haven't been too bad. Reckon, as a fan, you'll be OK.

I think so too, as far as I can tell it has the exact same drawbacks as the original Shinobido so no big deal. It's a niche game for sure, but it can be totally engrossing once you get into it. I don't expect everyone to get on with this game or this thread to get much further than 5 or 10 pages tbh!

#7 dood

dood
  • Supporters
  • 23886 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

Man I'm so gutted this isn't a big console version. :(

The original Shinobido is one of the best stealth games ever, a new one done in a good, modern way it would be incredible.

Son, I am disappoint.

#8 Epcotman

Epcotman
  • Members
  • 3427 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

Man I'm so gutted this isn't a big console version. :(

The original Shinobido is one of the best stealth games ever, a new one done in a good, modern way it would be incredible.

Son, I am disappoint.

Buy a Vita. :eyebrows:

#9 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17809 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

Yeah Dood, just buy a Vita. It has two analogue sticks and everything! Join ussssssssssss

#10 Epcotman

Epcotman
  • Members
  • 3427 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:33 PM

A 3G one! (Joking!)

#11 Laine

Laine
  • Moderators
  • 19677 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:58 PM

Excellent post Mr Gerbik! I bloody loved the PS2 version and as soon as I can afford it I'm getting a Vita just for this.:D
Look forward to your thoughts on it.

#12 dood

dood
  • Supporters
  • 23886 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:00 PM

My opinion of Laine just skyrocketed.

#13 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17809 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:51 PM

Laine has a great taste in games! :D

I really hope my Vita arrives on Wednesday, can't wait to get stuck in. And if it turns out to be at least as good as the first Shinobido, I can't wait to see how long it takes for Dood to go out and get a Vita! Are we talking about weeks in that case? Days? Hours?

#14 rumblecat

rumblecat
  • Supporters
  • 2914 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:07 AM

Yeah, this is the one game that's sold me on the Vita too, although some of the previews have said it's a bit dodgy- but I managed to wring a lot of enjoyment out of the dodgy Tenchu : Time of the Assassins game on the PSP (the one where the draw distance was so bad you couldn't even see across a room... :ph34r: ) so I'm sure I'll be fine with this. One bit stuck out in the Gametrailers review though-

... when blades clash, things can get awkward. You’re eventually given a reversal move can quickly end fights with weaker enemies, but there’s no running away from certain fated confrontations, which are almost always prolonged and clumsy.

- which sounds like there might be boss battles in there. Which would be a real shame because I love the stealth and sneaking side of these games, but absolutely detest any part where you're forced to stand and fight, because it goes against the whole point of it. I'm a ninja, I'm crouching on the rooftops, or hiding in the bushes, or hanging off the ceilings... I'm not battling clumsy controls against some boss man. The only thing people should ever is my sword, seconds before I slit their throat, or my arse as I pathetically run away into the darkness because I've made a mess of things.

edit: oh yeah, one of the other reviews made it a bit clearer... "there are boss battles that require ferocious combat"... :(

#15 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17809 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:19 AM

Yeah, this is the one game that's sold me on the Vita too

Hooray! I'm not the only one :D

About the unavoidable boss battles: goddammit, ever since the very first Tenchu on the PS1 way back when I've been saying that they should take the boss battles out of these games or make them susceptible to a one-hit stealth kill to avoid having to fight them. But they never do. Tenchu Z on the 360 was rather good in this regard, 50+ levels of which only two contain boss battles. As always, I save up all the offence items like grenades and such to get past the bosses with as little fuss as possible. Shame that they once again felt the need to put them in there, their lack of confidence to go all-out in the stealth gameplay department is the main thing holding them back from the level of quality of stealth classics like Thief 2.

#16 rumblecat

rumblecat
  • Supporters
  • 2914 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:39 AM

Yeah, it's a shame, I agree it feels a little like it's a lack of nerve- that they feel gamers expect big boss battles or they'll be disappointed. For the final one in Tenchu Z I gave up after three or four tries (I had no idea how the direct combat controls really worked) and watched a video on YouTube that had a handy little exploit where you could trick the boss into falling into the river, which he dutifully did. But it was a pain in the neck as the whole lead up to that final battle- creeping through castle grounds, making your way up, was excellent, but there was no in-game reward for silently knocking everyone off along the way- you might as well just make a mad dash for it as you'd still trigger the same cut scene.

I guess what I always wanted to see, if they really had to have boss battles, were ones where your actions up to that point affected it- so if you've successfully slipped in unnoticed, you'd at least be able to launch a sneak attack that would wipe out half the health of the boss or something. Or just kill him stone dead.

#17 j.m.ratkos

j.m.ratkos
  • Members
  • 2754 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:13 PM

I don't know how I missed the fact that this title was by acquire and the same team that originally did the tenchu titles (god, I loved those on my japanese ps one)

chalk it up as another launch title purchase for me (I think that makes 5-6 now. and while I'm all :omg: about it, my wallet is all :angry:

edit:
just watched the video. when are these western dev houses going to learn and get some 'proper' voice actors? even for the promotional video, this would have carried a lot more weight [with me] had they gone with someone with a ragged/gravely voice

#18 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17809 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

I don't know how I missed the fact that this title was by acquire and the same team that originally did the tenchu titles (god, I loved those on my japanese ps one)

chalk it up as another launch title purchase for me (I think that makes 5-6 now. and while I'm all :omg: about it, my wallet is all :angry:

I knew it was a good idea to include that tidbit of info in the thread title! :D

edit:
just watched the video. when are these western dev houses going to learn and get some 'proper' voice actors? even for the promotional video, this would have carried a lot more weight [with me] had they gone with someone with a ragged/gravely voice

First thing I'll do is check whether it has a Japanese voices option as the English voice acting does seem to be traditionally atrocious.

#19 Doc NI

Doc NI
  • Members
  • 1750 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:36 PM

Any update Mr G?

This is literally the only thing tempting me to get a Vita, absolutely loved the tenchu games. I even played the original tenchu 1 directors cut with map pack and map editor (never released outside Japan). I would be tempted to get both original shinobido and the zen sequel on a vita for some excellent stealth action.

well? talk it up for me please!

#20 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17809 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:22 PM

POPULAR

Any update Mr G?

This is literally the only thing tempting me to get a Vita, absolutely loved the tenchu games. I even played the original tenchu 1 directors cut with map pack and map editor (never released outside Japan). I would be tempted to get both original shinobido and the zen sequel on a vita for some excellent stealth action.

well? talk it up for me please!

The Tenchu directors cut you say? I know that one:
Posted Image
For those that don't know: from left to right, Tenchu: Stealth Assassins (Tenchu 1 PAL version), Tenchu (JNTSC original release), Tenchu: Shinobi Gaisen (JNTSC director's cut, with level editor and brand new intro, never released outside japan as Doc NI says). It's my Tenchu 1 collection :wub: :wub: (heh I should buy the USA version really just to complete the collection!)
Sorry for the crappy picture quality but I just took that pic and the batteries were running out. While searching for my Tenchu 1 games I also found most of the rest:
Posted Image
That pic isn't complete though, my Japanese version of Fatal Shadows (Kurenai iirc) is still floating around somewhere, as are the Wii and PSP versions of Tenchu 4 (urgh). Look at that cute little Shinobido 2 case! The version of Tenchu 2 you see there is the US version, couldn't wait for it to come out here way back when as I was completely bonkers for the first Tenchu game. While Tenchu 2 wasn't that bad in retrospect (it was quite decent and terribly ambitious in fact) it wasn't as good as the first game and the very first level featured a really annoying boss fight which immediately soured my opinion of the game - that's why I never bothered collecting different versions as I did with 1. Of the three versions of Tenchu 3 you see there, the Xbox version is the only one worth bothering with, the PS2 version of the game suffers from some very annoying flaws.

Update you say? As promised my initial impressions on Shinobido 2! First off, so far I LOVE this game and it's definitely getting the 'Mr. Gerbik Seal of Approval™' but the game is also an acquired taste, as the same flaws that the Tenchu and Shinobido series always suffered from are still present and correct. That being said, this is the first 'proper' Tenchu-style ninja game since.. well, since the original Shinobido on PS2 and Tenchu: Fatal Shadows also on PS2 before that. Since then we've had interesting experiments like Tenchu Z on the 360 and miserably failed experiments like Tenchu 4, all of which weren't the kind of Tenchu games everybody knows and loves.

Shinobido 2 goes a bit like this (and this will sound familiar to Shinobido veterans): you have a base of operations, a Ninja village, which is the background for a menu in which you can view letters you receive, manage your inventory, do alchemy to create new items, buy and sell items, review past results and your current stats, training etc. You can also choose missions here, and unlike Tenchu there isn't a linear path to follow through the story with a set number of levels - instead you can choose to accept various missions from three different competing warlords. Doing a mission for one warlord usually results in a negative impact for one of the other two. The game ends once one of the warlords is victorious over the other two and you achieve this by sabotaging those other two to fuck without them even knowing it. In other words, how long it takes to beat the game and how many missions you play to achieve that is entirely up to you and your skills
First off, the voice acting is horrendous and there is no option for Japanese voices. The story isn't all that and the cutscenes are a bit boring. The controls are fiddly at first and although there are a shitload of missions, there's only a limited amount of levels so you'll see the same levels over and over again. That last point isn't really a problem because each time the lay-out of the enemies is different, the kind of enemies can vary drastically (more on that later {edit: didn't get around to it. what I wanted to say is that as the game progresses you'll encounter tougher, better trained enemies who are far more aware - thus necessitating moar stealth) and you'll have a different objective each time. Knowledge and familiarity of the basic lay-out turns out to be essential to keep earning higher mission scores for increased rewards at the end of each mission. The controls being fiddly isn't a problem either because you'll get used to them and rather quickly I suspect. I do recommend turning off the optional back-panel functionality for aiming the grapple hook because I couldn't help accidentally touching it while aiming with the analogue stick which led to all kinds of camera glitching fun. With the back-panel off, everything is fine.
Choosing a warlord to support and doing missions for, and selecting which mission has the best rewards for you and the best impact for him or her is fun. It makes the game a lot more involved, and this gameplay aspect also has some rather cool extras. For example, if you've been spotted during a mission against warlord B, warlord B will be angry with you - which has an impact on his or her attitude towards you. But if you don't get spotted then warlord B is none the wiser and is only dumbfounded that warlord A is suddenly doing so well! Also, if you do get spotted but manage to kill the witness then warlord B is still none the wiser and the final results screen for that mission will include a stat for 'silenced witnesses' to reflect this.
You can also send gifts to each warlord but this also means you have to guess what each warlord would appreciate according to their personality. If they love their gift, they'll like you even more, but if they hate it... If a warlord really likes you and is totally convinced of your loyalty then this leads to higher rewards and better missions - if a warlord really hates you this will lead to him or her trying to having you assassinated (if I understood correctly). This is all very involving and fun imo!
You also earn exp points and when you level up you get 1 or 2 skill points which you can allocate to your health (called stamina for some reason, this confused the fuck out of me as I tried to find out what stamina was actually for), your attack power, your defense, your grapple hook length (any real ninja will tell you that length definitely does matter), and the energy bar for performing a super-duper insta-kill stealth takedown which I haven't really used yet ( :unsure: ). Adding such a rpg system on top is of course fun, completing more difficult missions means more exp points and it's always satisfying to level up, isn't it? Which brings me to the biggest drawback of this game, because I wondered at first why I should allocate skill points into anything else but my grappling hook... until I encountered my first boss. 'Oh maybe putting points into attack power and health will come in handy after all.'
Unavoidable boss fights are never fun in a stealth game but it might not be so bad in Shinobido for various reasons. First of all, it seems like you only get into boss fights at the end of a story chapter. All normal missions inbetween are pure stealth. In the mission description they clearly warn you if you're going into such a boss fight mission so they give you the chance to prepare for it. If you're a bit good at the stealth missions you will have levelled up more and thus be better prepared, but it's mostly the item and alchemy systems that come into play here. Harder missions also earn you more money and with that money you can buy items and alchemical ingredients. You can assign three item groups to up, left, and right on the dpad for quick select but you can switch those items out at any point during missions by pressing select to enter the inventory management. By buying items and dabbling in alchemy you can stock up on a shitload of health items, potions that increase your strength temporarily (or even potions that enhance both health and strength if you're good at alchemy) and various bombs. This way you can stack the odds in your favour for each boss fight, but as I said earlier it seems that there aren't that many of them overall.

After more than two hours of playtime I've gotten totally used to the controls and I'm navigating the levels fluidly, efficiently and fast. To help any other Shinobido 2 buyers on their way I'm going to list some tips that aren't obvious from the tutorial:
-When crouched by holding down R1 you can quickly turn around 180 degrees by hitting X if you keep the analogue stick neutral. X plus a direction makes you roll in that direction (which is perfect for getting around quickly while still remaining silent)
-You can press triangle over fallen enemies to pick them up and dispose of them elsewhere!
-Triangle also opens doors, with varying results depending on how you do it: while standing still, press triangle one time to open a door just a little bit, and again a second time to open it all the way - opening a door just a tiny bit is dead handy for peering into a room without the enemy inside spotting you. If you want to open a door immediately all the way, press triangle while holding the analogue stick in the direction of the door (while moving into it, basically). If you hold the circle button (which makes you dash) you can smash right through a door! But that makes a lot of fucking noise
- The grappling hook (down on the dpad) also works by just hitting down instead of aiming in first-person beforehand. Where it goes depends on the direction you're facing in. This is less precise and more risky, but effective use leads to maintaining momentum while making your way around a level.
-Press X while dashing to superjump
-While peering around a corner you can use the right stick to zoom in!
-While peering around corner, press X to quickly turn around that corner - i.e. you end up facing the way you were looking
-If you dash you can trip over dead bodies if you try to run over them! Awesome!

This one is a biggie:
-Tap R1 instead of holding it (holding it will make you crouch) to quickly reposition the camera behind you - this makes the camera ten times more manageable :D

One of the many things I love about this game is the effective use of the touch screen. As some of you know I don't like gimmicky controls, but in Shinobido 2 touch controls work amazingly well. First off, you can always easily access the map by tapping the compass - since the compass is in the upper left corner right next to the dpad, this works really well as an unobtrusive extra button. Same with the proximity icons, whenever you're close to someone a proximity icon will appear on the right side of the screen. Each icon represents one nearby enemy. Not only do these icons give you info about the proximity and health of an enemy, you can touch and hold each icon to automatically look in the direction of that enemy. Same as with the compass/map, the proximity icons are against the edge of the screen so they work brilliantly well as extra buttons which you can use with your thumb. Looking in the direction of an enemy can be very useful, if one is behind a wall for example and you can't quite see where he is or what he is doing, you can use this to track his movements. So if the guy is moving, you will track him and thus be able to tell when he turns around again back the other way at which point you jump over the wall and stealth kill him!

I have to cut this post short as I have to go afk for a bit, but I will say that if you liked Shinobido 1 that you will also like Shinobido 2 - Shinobido fans get this asap! (it has no gardening though) If you like the old school Tenchu games then you will most likely also like Shinobido 2 as it's the evolution of the Tenchu series, with the same kind of atmosphere and awesome stealthiness and some interesting new gameplay mechanics thrown in. If you didn't get on with the older Tenchu games or if you have no patience for its stealthy flawed but brilliant gameplay then steer well clear. I will keep you posted on further impressions, but suffice to say that at the moment I fucking love Shinobido 2, for me as a Tenchu and Shinobido fan, Shinobido 2 was definitely worth buying a Vita for - make of that what you will :D

#21 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17809 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:01 AM

Some additional observations: at first it seems like enemies are really dumb and you can approach them rather easily. As the game goes on you'll encounter new enemies however and it turns out that the awareness of each enemy can vary drastically. In the first few levels I could almost run up to the dumb fucks and stab them, Tenchu Z style, but later on I was put in my place when I played a level filled with paranoid merchants. I quickly realized I couldn't approach them from the side as they were constantly looking around and I would get spotted. For those guys I had to either carefully approach them directly from behind, or drop in unannounced from above (wrath of heaven motherfuckers!).
At the moment I'm playing a level where I have to intercept a guarded package being transported, and while it is guarded by the earlier dumb fucks, there are a lot of them. So now I have to go beyond standard Tenchu tactics and apply a bit of Hitman (and this is why I loved the first Shinobido so much) by distracting and luring guards away from the transport by using items. Just now I had killed four dudes at the rear of the transport, managed to lure one of the front guards away into an alley where his throat was mysteriously slit, and distracted the remaining guard at the front so that the guy carrying the package I had to steal was walking alone. Quickly I ran up behind him, but as I had been so busy getting rid of the two guards at the front I hadn't noticed a guard keeping watch further down the street and he saw me run up to the guy carrying the package - spotted! Gutted :( In other words, things are ramping up nicely and I'm looking forward to trying that mission again tomorrow - maybe I have to dabble into a bit of alchemy, or at least the old ninja item shop, to see if I can come up with some other cunning tactics to approach this particular situation.

I'm in love all over again :wub:

Oh and the graphics are great btw! Very atmospheric and colourful, the game looks way better than the PS2 Tenchu and Shinobido games. It looks detailed, solid and smooth, and with a great draw distance. It might not have the jaw-drop effect of the Uncharted and the Wipeout, but that it looks better way better than the PS2 original is great.

Oh and the default first mission you can choose to take involves killing a - presumably evil - merchant :D

Edit: holy fuck 3 in the morning! I guess I better turn off that Vita huh

#22 dood

dood
  • Supporters
  • 23886 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:03 AM

Excellent impressions Gerbik :) some of it sounds ace. Shame the gardening has gone though :(

#23 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17809 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:14 AM

To be brutally honest, I knew beforehand that a lot of Shinobido fans would be disappointed that the gardening had gone but personally (and this is between you and me) I'm really glad it's gone as I didn't like it at all in the first game - I just wanted to get on with playing the missions! :ph34r: <--never has this smiley been more appropriate

#24 shynra

shynra
  • Members
  • 3374 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:27 AM

Great impressions! Never had enough time on the big screen to complete shino 1 but will get this one :) glads its not tenchu 4 again :) will + when not on mobile

#25 Stanley

Stanley
  • Members
  • 15217 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:41 AM

Excellent post. I love threads like this. Great to read even if you have no intention of buying the game.

#26 Cosmic_Guru

Cosmic_Guru
  • Members
  • 4882 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:01 AM

Brilliant post Mr G - got this waiting for when the fluff of Unchartered is done with.

#27 dood

dood
  • Supporters
  • 23886 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:22 PM

To be brutally honest, I knew beforehand that a lot of Shinobido fans would be disappointed that the gardening had gone but personally (and this is between you and me) I'm really glad it's gone as I didn't like it at all in the first game - I just wanted to get on with playing the missions! :ph34r: <--never has this smiley been more appropriate

Whutuff. You're dead to me.

#28 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17809 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

Things are ramping up a bit. I'm backing Warlord A and constantly fucking over Warlord C... but now I got a hint from my sensei that I should probably take care of Warlord B first. And I should be wary of warlords getting their hands on blueprints and the like with which to increase the strength of their army. However, my favourite Warlord A was complaining about a lack of money so I chose to do a mission which would put some gold in his warchest instead of this other mission which was to prevent Warlord B from getting her hands on some important document.
The mission didn't go too well as I'm now encountering enemies who are very alert and just running up to them from an angle Tenchu Z style doesn't work anymore - they're spotting me left, right and centre if I don't scout and plan head more carefully. I managed to stealth kill most of the enemies in that mission but I fucked up when I was messing around with a wind-up gecko to try and distract the last enemy and had to engage him in battle. Got a lower rating, but what the hell mission complete and level up. But then I got a message that Warlord B got her hands on that document and used it to outfit her army with state of the art bows and arrows, increasing their overall strength! Hmm, not good. Warlord A was happy to get some money though.
One or two missions after that I get the opportunity to steal a blueprint back from Warlord B, which I assume will weaken the strength of her army back down again. Only this mission is a bit hard with the blueprints being escorted by fucking ninja, like 6 or 8 ninja just darting about around the guy carrying the blueprints. And the rest of the level is filled with them too and they have very good hearing as it turns out - no jumping down behind them without them hearing it! So I started thinking a bit and decided I should make more use of the huge amount of available items in the game. Going Hitman 47 as it were. So I noticed that they cross a bridge over a deadly cliff on the way to their destination, and at the start of my next try I ran over there and planted loads of mines on the bridge before they arrived. I observed from a hill overlooking the scene how they were getting blown up constantly as they advanced but while it created chaos and annoyed them a bit, the mines were far too weak to outright kill them :lol: - I need to do moar alchemy for stronger mines! I also tried throwing a powerful confusion grenade which I got from Warlord A for being so awesome on loads of missions and that seemed to work very well - all the enemies caught in the smoke were dazed which allowed me to one-hit kill them! As I tried to run away with the blueprints I got spotted by another ninja however - I was playing very recklessly by that point - and he killed me :lol:
I'm retreating to my trusty ninja village for a bit to think things over! Oh and I just got a message that there are now also enemies called Yojimbo roaming about, and they're supposed to really tough and hard to sneak up on! But not as hard as fucking bears apparently but so far I've not done a mission in which I'm asked to go kill one - but I do have some salmon in my inventory and there were some hints being dropped that the salmon, or something made from the salmon in alchemy, could be used to lure or distract a bear.
So things are definitely heating up, the game has opened up brilliantly and I'm loving it. Finally another Tenchu-style ninja game and it's one of the better ones :wub: Again, it's an acquired taste and you should only spend your hard-earned cash if you like Tenchu/Shinobido games to begin with and you have the patience for stealth gameplay and putting up with some basic flaws to get to the raw brilliance.

Dood, you may hate me and that's fine, but you need to play this game :)

Edit: Summing up - Acquire still has it :D

#29 Stanley

Stanley
  • Members
  • 15217 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:20 PM

If/when I eventually get my Vita I will definitely be buying this game thanks to your write up. The last one I played was Tenchu Stealth Assassins on the PS2, which took me a while to get into but when I did felt like one of the most empowering games I'd played.

#30 Epcotman

Epcotman
  • Members
  • 3427 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:40 PM

I love how everyone's Vita purchase goes never/ if/ when/ got one! in the space of a day.

Great reports on the game there. When it's cheaper and I've gotten through all the Vita treats I have, I shall get it, for sure.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Stealth, Vita

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)