Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lordcookie

John Williams at 80

16 posts in this topic

So arguably the most famous film composer of all time is 80 years old today and there is little sign of him slowing down.

For most on the forum he is synonymous with the films we grew up with, scoring many of our all time favourites along the way, and being a large reason why certain scenes have taken on iconic status. His collaboration with Spielberg is obviously one of the best relationships in Hollywood but he has worked with some of the best directors of the past 40 odd years.

Empire have a nice 80 reasons why John Williams is the man feature which is worth exploring for fans and non-fans alike.

I won't list loads here just so others can post their favourites but I will single out two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6fka74ZnpU

Even his music sounded great slowed down by 1000%

So what score is your favourite?

I frickin' love the more down tempo Binary Sunset from Star Wars.

And Anakin's Betrayal is a high point of the prequels.

Otherwise, the aforementioned Jurassic Park theme is about as stirring as a piece of film music can get, and the Indy theme might just be one of the finest pieces of music ever composed. Don't believe it? Stick it on tomorrow morning and feel its empowering awesomocity carry you through the day. Seriously, if a nation had that as their national anthem they would win at everything. John Williams is an absolute genius and should pretty much have a key to the planet.

The piece of music that tricked us all into believing the Phantom Menace was going to be good.

The movie seems to have a bad rep but I like the theme from 1941.

He is unmatched in his field IMO. I was listening to Duel of The Fates on the train home and its perfect, the best thing about the prequels (and this coming from someone who quite likes them).

But the winner is the Superman theme which is perhaps my favourite piece of music of all time. And the Indy theme isnt far behind either.

My favourite is the one that goes duh duhh duh duh duhh duhhhh, duh DUH DUH DUHH DUHH, DUH duhduhduh DUH

No love for the ET soundtrack? Easily one of his best. Imagine that film with no music. Wouldn't be half as good or make you cry as much.

as others have said unmatched in his field......

What an unbelievable career. The man is a god.

Duel of the Fates is my favourite piece of music by a mile.

Blows me away everytime!