Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nick R

Someone FAKES a Sonic 1 prototype; fans get in a tizzy over it (even though it's CLEARLY FAKE)

11 posts in this topic

You'd think that sign would've made it in if it was legit. Still interesting stuff and to be fair I really like that sonic sprite and running animation

I didn't know you could retro-actively apply the Sonic Cycle to the older games.

It's an amazing fake. Must have taken ages to do. And if it isn't a fake, well then the Megadrive is a lot more powerful than I remember it!

In the end this hoax (

, AS EXPECTED) had a good side-effect: it encouraged me to check out the current state of Sonic hacks and fangames, which I haven't done in a long time.

Sonic VR

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_VR

Now this is very, very good. It's just a series of thirty different short challenge rooms, presented in an MGS Special Missions-style VR environment.

The challenges illustrate just how robust the Sonic engine is, as suitable for mini challenges like this as it is for full platforming levels. It really makes you wish that Sega had thrown a couple of situations along these lines into the original games.

It's not exactly Portal in terms of the smoothness of its difficulty curve, but for the most part the levels generally feel quite fair - at least, fair compared to most fangames that include more difficult levels! Difficult enough to require a few attempts, and requiring some learning and memorisation, but always clear where you went wrong, and satisfying to get right in the end.

Some of the challenges rely on lateral thinking as much as platforming skills or knowledge of the Sonic engine's mechanics. The "Round Trip" level is a good example of one that's very satisfying to work out what you have to do bit by bit, and then carry it out.

There ARE some evil platforming challenges, though. This one's called "Precision Platforming"... doesn't seem too hard so far...

QKcz0.png

X1IIi.png

Oh FUCK YOU.

Fortunately the levels are unlockable in batches of 10, so if you get stuck on one you can come back to it later.

Having said that, the levels DO get very fiendish later on - by the end of the game you're expected to cope with nonsense like this - but up until that point it's great fun. Well worth a download!

Sonic: The One Ring

http://info.sonicret...c:_The_One_Ring

Sonic 1, but with just one ring in each level. That ring is well-hidden in extremely obscure places, and you need to find it in order to complete the level. I didn't play too far into it (end of Marble Zone, I think), but I enjoyed it as a great excuse to re-explore old levels we all know so well.

The trailer does a good job of showing it off - just make sure to mute the music!

You do have some extra things to help along the way. Because you won't have any rings to have as protection, all the old 10-ring monitors have become random power ups, and you get the ability to carry more than one shield at a time. The levels have been altered so you can backtrack to places the original game wouldn't let you return to (like going back up the pipes in the Green Hill Zone), and by tapping up or down at any time a ring chime will sound if you're near the Ring.

And of course if you get really stuck you can always consult some level maps to get ideas about where it might be hidden.

Sonic the Hedgehog 1@SAGE 2010

http://info.sonicret...g_1_@_SAGE_2010

Sonic 1 with added time and score attack record saving and a boss rush mode. Apparently if you run it in a certain modified version of an MD emulator and register with Sonic Retro's Retro Channel website, you can upload your results to online leaderboards and earn Achievements. Very impressive as a clever technical feat.

Then there are the joke ones...

Sonic 1: Omochao edition

Someone's managed to make a fangame that's even more frustrating than Kaizo Mario World, but in a very different way. Just watch this - please watch from the start and don't skip ahead, it's best if you discover it at the same time as the narrator... :lol:

Motobug the Badnik in Sonic the Hedgehog 1

lolwut

It's an amazing fake. Must have taken ages to do. And if it isn't a fake, well then the Megadrive is a lot more powerful than I remember it!

its a PC executable, meaning it was probably done on game maker or construct, probably 2 weeks max worth of work

How Construct rolls off someone's tongue before MMF2 is beyond me.

Speaking of MMF2, there's a fullblown, opensource replication of the Sonic Megadrive engine. It feels remarkably 'true'.

How Construct rolls off someone's tongue before MMF2 is beyond me.

Speaking of MMF2, there's a fullblown, opensource replication of the Sonic Megadrive engine. It feels remarkably 'true'.

The sonic worlds engine? Yeah its for MMF2 and amazingly robust.