Inside the Dragons Lair

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Wizcat

Wizcat
  • Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:26 PM

Don't know much about this other than the youtube trailer: http://www.youtube.c...d&v=SB9jgRpy9KE
and the blurb from their facebook page: https://www.facebook...lairdoc?sk=info

"Inside The Dragon's Lair takes a journey into the ongoing history of one of the most popular video games of all time - Dragon's Lair. The film will give the audience an in-depth view of the extensive production process that created this revolutionary game. Utilizing the laserdisc medium, this technologically advanced game was a marvel during its release in 1983 and has changed the video gaming world forever. The documentary will revisit the game from its initial conception to its most current release, showing the many different variants and iterations of the game. Also featured will be interviews of the original creators Don Bluth, Gary Goldman, John Pomeroy, and Rick Dyer. Additional interviews will feature artists and programmers involved in the game's production, collectors, technical gurus and die-hard fans."

Will be keeping a keen eye out for this. Loved Dragons Lair back in the days.

#2 Hello Goaty ♥

Hello Goaty ♥
  • Supporters
  • 57129 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

Excellent :)

thanks for the info.

You know, a while ago Poundland were selling all of the Dragons Lairs, Space Ace and even Don Quixote

all good fun, but rock hard even today!

#3 Cosmic Squirrel

Cosmic Squirrel
  • Members
  • 26244 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:56 PM

I remember the first time i played Dragons Lair - It was at dreamland in margate - think it must have been 1994 or something.

I loved it, even if the gameplay was a bit poor.

I even got the DVD one in 2000-2001 i believe and finished that =) Took a while though!

A year or so later - I ended up getting on a mailing list for some company who was producing the the PC ports for Dragons lair. It might be been something to do with E3 (as i went in 2001) and they just kept sending me any mechandise to do with Dragons lair - if i recall I got the Dragons lair 20th anniversay edition on cd rom, and i think it also included the sequel and space ace. I dont think i ever played them, well i tested the first game out and the quality was awful compared to my DVD.

I might have even been sent the DVD version ( for pc ) a year later but going back a bit now!

Anyone ever played the C64 version? Never could get off the first level! The SNES game was pretty shocking too. But then so were most sunsoft games.

#4 Droo

Droo
  • Members
  • 18618 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:59 PM

You know, I've never played this.

Whats the best version to get?

#5 Wizcat

Wizcat
  • Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

People always seem to remember where they were when they first saw a Dragons Lair cabinet. It's probably quite telling of the impact it had at the time!

For me it was a summer holiday with my parents. Can't remember exactly where or when. In fact the only thing I can remember from that holiday was the portacabin arcade they had on the camp site, and the Dragons Lair machine - always surrounded by several people. Every day the same group of people would turn up to play and watch, and we'd offer advice on the scenes as we learnt them. I kept a notepad with a step by step for each scene, including notes on which ones could appear as mirror images (watch for Dirk's sword appearing on the left/right)

A few years later I remember playing it on the C64, which was nice, but made it hard to impress upon my friends how EPIC the arcade game was when all they knew was the C64 version.

Pretty hard to find original cabinets in the wild, even 10 or 15 years ago I remember them disappearing from the classic arcades in Blackpool, most probably due to that notorious laser disk system.

Droo - hard to recommend the 'best' version. The original game has not stood the test of time well - it's brutaly hard to the point of frustration. It's also impossible to emulate without the scenes from laser disc (or DVD), so even emulation is awkward. If you're determined though your best option is probably Daphne : http://www.daphne-em...e3/index_hi.php

'Space Ace' is considerably more playable, due to its flashing hint system if you just want to try any laserdisc game.

#6 son of solo

son of solo
  • Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:29 PM

the first time i saw dragons lair was in the "eldon square recreation center" probably 1985 / 86 in newcastle upon tyne, they always had about 10 machine in and kept them up to date, they had space ace in too.

#7 choddo

choddo
  • Supporters
  • 77822 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

Such a truly awful game but I also remember where I first saw it and I was gobsmacked

#8 mechamonkey

mechamonkey
  • Members
  • 8237 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:45 AM

Such a truly awful game but I also remember where I first saw it and I was gobsmacked

Its very playable on iOS, I really enjoyed it and Space Ace on my phone.

#9 SeanR

SeanR
  • Supporters
  • 105832 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

I saw firefox before I saw Dragons Lair...

#10 JoeK

JoeK
  • Members
  • 9724 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

Its very playable on iOS, I really enjoyed it and Space Ace on my phone.

It is! I suspect with so many games having elements of QTEs in them these days, it's possibly helped Dragon's Lair a bit. That 'twitch' gaming style seems to be slightly easier to get to grips with than before. Don't get me wrong, as a game it was (and still is) pretty crappy, but despite itself I still find it very enjoyable to play through.

It always amazes me that this game which amazed me in the arcades and looked so cool is now available for 69p on a phone!

#11 Anne Summers

Anne Summers
  • Members
  • 7732 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

Only ever saw the arcade version in the states, never once spotted a machine over here.
I don't actually remember seeing any Laserdisc arcade games in this country, until they got Mad Dog McCree at Eastbourne pier, but I always spotted them when we went on holiday.

#12 JoeK

JoeK
  • Members
  • 9724 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

There were a fair few of them when I was a kid, but without fail they were all buggered up.
I suspect folks' frustrations with the thing caused some quite epic destruction!

#13 PeteBrant

PeteBrant
  • Members
  • 17758 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:46 PM

It was featured on tomorrows world. I cna remember wathing it, it was around 1983. And then , in an arcade in Bournemouth, I actually saw a cab . What you have to remember is that at that point in time, the spectrum was the epitome of home computing. In the arcades, Track N Field was as good as it got.

And then you walked up to a machine that was displaying something so far in advance of anything out there, it was literally jaw hitting the floor. It was a quantum leap. I mean it was like giving someone with the every first vodafone brick/suitacse phone an iPhone.

But, then you played it, and got the game over screen in around 4 seconds. It was utter shite.

But still, I will never, ever forget walking up to that machine for the first time. It was just the most amazing thing.

#14 roberthazelby

roberthazelby
  • Moderators
  • 6429 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:57 PM

I remember seeing this in Skegness back around 1984. The cab had two or three screens on top of it so that people crowding around it could see what was going on.

On this occasion there 'was' a crowd, and so this was the only chance to see it running without playing it yourself. It looked so stunning and so fluid that it felt like the future was here.

As Pete's mentioned, the Spectrum was the epitome of home computing (for me at least), so to see something like this up and running was nothing short of a miracle.

After much waiting and excitement I had a go, and again, as Pete's said - you got the game over screen in around 4 seconds.

A terrible, terrible game, but amazing at the same time.

I remember having a similar level of excitement watching the Space Ace rolling demo on my Amiga.

#15 Droo

Droo
  • Members
  • 18618 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

Gonan download it for iOS tonight - as it's only 60p...

#16 Sabreman

Sabreman
  • Members
  • 18016 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

The best thing to do with any of these is to just watch someone who's really good at them play through. Then to you it's like watching an entertaining cartoon, rather than experiencing the pitilessness of existence in videogame form.

#17 Droo

Droo
  • Members
  • 18618 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

That actually

Rather than experiencing the pitilessness of existence in videogame form.

made me laugh out loud.

#18 Droo

Droo
  • Members
  • 18618 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:22 AM

Downloaded it, played and completed it. What a total melt!!

I can see how it would have appeared amazing 30 years ago though.

I suppose it's testament that it still sells even now, to chumps like me. I assume brain dead s d space ace aremore of the same?

######

#19 choddo

choddo
  • Supporters
  • 77822 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:12 AM

Space ace very much so. Not seen the other one.

#20 Venice Cull

Venice Cull
  • Members
  • 8542 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:57 PM

Terrible tv series though:

#21 Anne Summers

Anne Summers
  • Members
  • 7732 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

Maybe I'm wrong actually and I did see DL over here - I seem to remember it cost £1 a go and I can't think how I'd have that memory unless I'd seen a machine in the UK.
Can't think where at all though.

£1 a go in 1984 is like an arcade game that cost £5 a go or something now, I'd imagine. (Considering "normal" arcade games seem to have gone up from 10p a credit to 50p in most places- or they had the last time I looked in a proper arcade which was several years ago).

#22 Droo

Droo
  • Members
  • 18618 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:00 PM

I really hate that arcade games are at least 50p a go.

I have a machine, which I've got in our staff room and at the start people were saying 'how much is it going to cost', when in truth, i Just wanted people to play the damn thing and have a bit of fun.

NB. People pleaded for PacMan, and it's been the least played game on it. The most played : Bust a Move.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users