Retro Gamer Issue 99

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#61 roberthazelby

roberthazelby
  • Moderators
  • 6458 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

I can't believe that Amstrad top 25 dosen't have Tubaruba in it. It could be because so few people have played it of course.

My brother spent hours on the Spectrum version of that. I hope the Amstrad version had better music. The Spectrum ingame tune was awful!

#62 Retro GhostGS

Retro GhostGS
  • Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

I think it's probably the same, I have some footage of it on my youtube channel - Here! just don't play the sound too loud.

#63 merman

merman
  • Members
  • 5391 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

I'd forgotten about the Monty Python game!

No you hadn't

Great issue, and I think the point some people are missing is that the versus article is mainly about what the developers thought of the two machines, how easy they were to work with and so on.

#64 mechamonkey

mechamonkey
  • Members
  • 8563 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:49 AM

We,ve been running retro revivals in that way for the last 80 issues. Have you only just noticed? Or is it because you like the games and don't feel they have substantial enough write ups?

You've hit the nail on the head there Strider, they were both games that I loved and would have liked a more substantial look at them.
I prefer lots of smaller pictures rather than one big close up to get a feel for the game which I feel one picture doesn't convey.

As I said, rest of the issue is a corker, perfect cover too, using it as my MacBook desktop :wub:

#65 moora

moora
  • Members
  • 2310 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:38 AM

I find it so funny that there are really, genuinely, people who still get upset about this after all these decades!
I mean, I KNOW the Spectrum was the superior machine, because I lived through those days , but I'm certainly not going to get upset in the slightest if anyone else who lived through them disagrees with me.
You only have to go on the RG forums though to see there are still people who take these rivalries very seriously.

I just re-read that article and it did make me think. A lot.

I had a speccy from 84 and in about 86 my best friend upgraded to a C64. And there was a lot of rivalry, but there were some great games that you couldn't get on the Speccy.

I eventually bought a C64 in 93/94 for about 30 quid (I'd had an Amiga for a few years at that point) and looking back on it, and it's really hard for me to say this, but the C64 was - by far- the better computer. Even now I'll play more C64 games than Speccy games- they somehow seemed to have aged better. Yeah, there's real classics like Trashman, Jet Set Willy, Skooldaze but the C64 was the better piece of hardware.

And looking back on it, I upgraded to a +2 for the Christmas of 88, and you know what- I should have got a C64. I could have kept both the old rubber keys and the C64 running in parallel- getting the best of both worlds. But I couldn't. Because there was no way was I going to buy a Commie. Now way at all. I was a Speccy guy! Which was a bit stupid, really.

#66 Goose

Goose
  • Moderators
  • 28098 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:07 PM

You bloody turncoat, Moora!

[says the man who is reading the Amstrad top 25 article and thinking 'that looks damn good']

#67 strider

strider
  • Members
  • 5719 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

[says the man who is reading the Amstrad top 25 article and thinking 'that looks damn good']

I wasn't massively happy with the Amstrad list, because we didn't get a lot of input in it. There's a lot of great conversions though, and hopefully people will look and go 'Hey. They actually look pretty good'

#68 Red Alignment

Red Alignment
  • Members
  • 2996 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

I was a Spectrum owner in my formative years. During my 8-bit days, I also using to look longingly at screenshots of C64 and CPC games on cassette boxes and in magazines, wishing my parents bought the computer with "proper" coloured-in graphics instead. :unsure:

Spoiler

#69 Sokurah

Sokurah
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:05 PM

I also using to look longingly at screenshots of C64 and CPC games on cassette boxes and in magazines, wishing my parents bought the computer with proper coloured-in graphics instead. :unsure:

I was always content with my Spectrum and was never envious of any other 8-bit system because of "proper" colors. :)

#70 Swainy

Swainy
  • Members
  • 3312 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

Speccy owners should have something else to be proud of soon.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#71 deKay

deKay
  • Supporters
  • 34875 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:59 AM

I can't believe that Amstrad top 25 dosen't have Tubaruba in it. It could be because so few people have played it of course.

Spectrum version was better... :)

#72 redballoon

redballoon
  • Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

I showed my 5 year old issue 99 yesterday when I was flicking through it. I'm always curious to see what this generation thinks of the graphics, at least, of the games of our generation. First off, the cover. "What do you think that is?", I asked. "A monster", was the reply. Fair enough. I showed him the different stages as Rex gets closer. He just laughed with glee. We carried on flicking through and got to the Amstrad Top 25 and the Chase HQ screens! "Stop!" he said, then pointed at the main screen. "It's Lego!"

The End.

#73 Gique

Gique
  • Members
  • 7822 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

Hah, got that in seconds ,(hangman) could be a good read, clever chap

#74 strider

strider
  • Members
  • 5719 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

Guess what we just got in...

#75 Goose

Goose
  • Moderators
  • 28098 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:48 PM

How's it look?

#76 strider

strider
  • Members
  • 5719 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:21 PM

How's it look?

like working till past midnight was worth it

#77 adonis

adonis
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:59 PM

So does Retro Gamer stand for "Retrogressive Gamer", or is it meant to imply that you cover only retrogressive games? Do you cover any real retro games at all? (i.e. contemporary games designed with retro-modeled mechanics)

Also, do you think that Crime and Punishment is a retro novel? Or Mozart retro music? Citizen Kane a retro movie?

Perhaps you should publish an article clearing that up in the 100th issue. I think that after close to a decade of this bullshit it might be time you addressed your magazine's astonishingly retarded title.

Failing that denial will do just fine too, I guess.

#78 strider

strider
  • Members
  • 5719 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:55 AM

I wish you had told me all this a month ago. We'd have had time to change the magazine especially for you. Oh well, back to being rubbish. And to think you could have actually made a difference if you told us all this 8 years ago when the magazine first started. You weren't a Spectrum fan were you?

#79 memories

memories
  • Supporters
  • 4812 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:02 AM

So does Retro Gamer stand for "Retrogressive Gamer", or is it meant to imply that you cover only retrogressive games? Do you cover any real retro games at all? (i.e. contemporary games designed with retro-modeled mechanics)

Also, do you think that Crime and Punishment is a retro novel? Or Mozart retro music? Citizen Kane a retro movie?

Perhaps you should publish an article clearing that up in the 100th issue. I think that after close to a decade of this bullshit it might be time you addressed your magazine's astonishingly retarded title.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#80 Droo

Droo
  • Members
  • 18733 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:11 AM

I can't check as my internet is crippled at work, but how much does Retro Gamer cost for 12 month sub?

I'm pretty sick of Edge now, to the point where I don't even bother reading it when it arrives any more.

#81 super_quincy

super_quincy
  • Members
  • 5030 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:56 AM

You could always sunscribe to the magazine that Adonis is imagining, sounds great.

Posted Image

#82 adonis

adonis
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

Hey strider, that retort is much better than the flat-out denial I was expecting. You are not as bad as the other uneducated, uncultured aspies, so carry on with my blessings.

Edited by Laine, 29 February 2012 - 10:29 PM.
User was warned for this post.

#83 strider

strider
  • Members
  • 5719 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:17 AM

Hey strider, that retort is much better than the flat-out denial I was expecting. You are not as bad as the other uneducated, uncultured aspies, so carry on with my blessings.

That's good because I was planning to send you the flatplans for our next six months.

#84 MaffewE

MaffewE
  • Members
  • 2410 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:06 AM

I am sure your blessings count for a lot, 'adonis'.

How's insomnia.ac going? Much revenue coming in?

#85 merman

merman
  • Members
  • 5391 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

You know, that reads like a summary of one of redeye's columns in the Edge Retro specials... You could almost call it a retrogressive opinion, if you weren't put off by the fact it's not original...

#86 memories

memories
  • Supporters
  • 4812 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

Man Strider, what did you do to adonis? go round to his house and set fire to his wooden VCS or something?

#87 adonis

adonis
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:21 PM

You know, that reads like a summary of one of redeye's columns in the Edge Retro specials... You could almost call it a retrogressive opinion, if you weren't put off by the fact it's not original...

I wrote a widely-read and linked article on that subject in 2008. If redeye's article was written before that, or even after, good for him; we are not fighting here for a Nobel prize. The point is to understand stuff, and to promote superior viewpoints; I couldn't care less who came up with what first, and I am always happy to learn from others. At any rate I stopped reading Edge circa 2002, so I wouldn't know.

#88 strider

strider
  • Members
  • 5719 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:33 PM

Issue 100 is in shops today.

#89 chuntmeister

chuntmeister
  • Members
  • 879 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:53 PM

It stands for retrospective gamer, you know, from the dictionary definition:

Retro: Involving, relating to, or reminiscent of things past; retrospective

In other words, the title of the magazine is "gamers reminiscing about games", not "old games!". It's a retrospective of games, just as you can have an Orson Welles retrospective, or a Mozart retrospective. The article you've posted might have some merit if the title of the magazine were Retro Games. But it's not. The design or age of the games themselves is technically irrelevant, since the magazine name doesn't address that (and plenty of contemporary games have appeared in the mag).

Hope that clears things up for you :)

#90 Gregory Wolfe

Gregory Wolfe
  • Members
  • 3180 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:55 PM

Yestergamer just doesn't sound as good. FACT.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users