Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cyhwuhx

Friday

23 posts in this topic

Picked up this card game yesterday (in Dutch, on Saturday no less) and played it today (on Sunday, I feel Rebecca Black-ish...). It's the latest game of the green-haird F-loving Friedemann Friese and it's curiously enough a one player game.

The idea is that you are Friday helping Robinson Crusoe to get off your island. Problem is, Robinson isn't the smartest when he arrives and he gets worse as he ages. This set-up basically translates to a one-player deck-builder akin to Quarriors!, Ascension, et al.

post-2084-059563400 1327234505_thumb.jpg

You start off with 20 health and three card stacks: Aging, Attack and Challenge. Each turn you draw two challenges, choose whichever you want to beat and draw the amount of Attack cards indicated on the left-hand side of the Challenge to beat the value on the right. You then add up all the Attack card values to see if you've beat it. Won? Then you can flip the Challenge card 180 degrees and add it to your Attack discard pile. Lost ? Then you have to pay the difference in health, but for each health spend this way you may banish one your played Attack cards from the game. Of course you can also spend health to add more cards to your Attack pile before calculation, but this removes the ability to banish cards.

post-2084-069124300 1327234785_thumb.jpg

The result is that you are literally picking your battles to either purge your deck or strengthen it. There's just three problems. First, each time your Attack deck get reshuffled you add a card from the Aging stack to it which is always a negative modifier (and signifies Robinson's mental deterioration). So even if you've built the perfect deck, You might be in for a nasty surprise. Second, each time the Challenges deck is depleted, it's reshuffled and upped in difficulty. You start with the green Challenge values, but then it changes to Yellow and finally Red. Which brings us to the third problem: the pirates. You have two cards of these drawn from the very beginning and they are your final bosses. You know what they do and how you can beat them, but as soon as the Challenge deck is depleted in its red stage you have to attack both pirates right after one another.

While the normal challenges can be difficult and require multiple cards. The battle against the pirates becomes one freakishly long combo:

post-2084-040989400 1327235092_thumb.jpg

That was my winning state against the second pirate card on my third attempt of playing the game. There are about four variants in there left to beat which increase in difficulty and to be honest, this is f*ckin' brilliant. If you like deck-builders in general you should hunt this down. The fight against the pirates is suitably epic after a long struggle on the island and there's a real sense of progression going on.

Also this needs an Android/iOS port. Stat. :D

I had Friedemann run through this with me at Essen, but there were no English copies left - gutted! It's a really interesting little game... definitely want to get a copy for myself.

How late did you leave it Michael? I picked up a copy of this from Essen on the sunday morning. It's a really good cheap game in a small box and everyone should give it a go as I think it is now available in the UK.

BTW for those who have it, feel free to post any high scores. At Difficulty Level 1 I now have 61 victory points.

And having said that, just managed it for the first time (must be around the 10th game!)

Level 1: 58 victory points

I only managed to get halfway through my first game, then had pack it in to go visiting relatives. Looking forward to giving it another go tonight.

Took me about 4 goes the beat the first level: 77 points.

I find that the life points disappear quite fast in the beginning (sometimes too fast, ending my game halfway), and therefore my strategy so far is going for the +1 / +2 life cards. But I like that you also have to keep in mind the sort of pirates you have to fight in the end.

Now, onwards to level 2.

I find it quite handy to try and beat any cannibals ASAP. It might cost a lot of life points to beat them, but it does net you a 4 Weapon and removes them from the Red phase (where they can wreck havoc).

I received this as another thank you from rllmuk gift :D THANKS!

Had one game, took a few turns to click, but I really enjoyed it when it did!

I seemed to have thrashed it on my first go - I won with a score of 109! It did seem high so doubled checked my sums and re-read the rules after, and I don't think I did anything wrong!

I might have got lucky with destroying the ageing cards and I cleared out all the 0 and -1 dross quite quick. I also didn't get through more than 4 or 5 ageing cards, so hmmm, I dunno if I was accidentally cheating!

109? Wow, that is high!

Did you remember that ageing cards cost two lives to destroy? Might have something to do with that. Otherwise, congrats! :D

109? Wow, that is high!

Did you remember that ageing cards cost two lives to destroy? Might have something to do with that. Otherwise, congrats! :D

I managed to destroy all mine with the destroy effect cards. It must have been monumental luck

Managed to beat it again, but my score was much lower - 82

I'm certain I'm playing it correctly :D

Nice little game

D'oh! Being very stupid, I forgot to remove the 'Very Stupid' card for the second and third games.

Having rattled through the levels thi afternoon it's clear that once you get a feel for the contents of the deck and he it might impact your life points much of the difficulty dissipates. In the yellow phase is the danger as life points are at the lowest. Once I've got through hat I find my life increasing.

Level 3: 64

Level 4: 118

Just got this a few weeks ago and finally beat it today with a whopping score of 45....

Must try harder! Great game though.