sandman

Is "Game" finished?

7804 posts in this topic

[quote name='ryodi' timestamp='1328100694' post='8418810']
Their Twitter feed is reassuring people asking about their existing preorders but once the rumours start consumer confidence starts to plummet. Of course if Game go they will take Gamestation and Gameplay with them
[/quote]
Do they own Gameplay? I hope my Soul Calibur V pre-order is safe!
EDIT - Order status says "Complete" so it looks like it.

It would be nice to think that the loss of Game/Gamestation on the high street could become a positive thing for independent shops but I think that ultimately it will only lead to an even worse chain of shops replacing them.
Just look at the music shops in most shopping centres these days, HMV isn't perfect but the rest are mostly places that just stock the latest top ten and 1000s of pre-owned Johnny Mathis and B*Witched CDs.

Indy music stores struggle in anything other than major cities (for example, Picadilly Records in Manchester does OK, but I doubt if a smaller town would be able to sustain it). Most indy game stores I've seen are usually empty, so I do wonder how they stay in business.

Game may be shit, but sadly it's probably better than the alternative.

cubik

[quote name='sandman' timestamp='1328125888' post='8419687']
This really is the end isnt it. Bye Bye Game!
[/quote]
It would be nice to think it wasn't but it is inevitable. Even if they limp along for a few more months I think the end is nigh. Yet more empty stores on the high street plus a lot of people losing their jobs is never a good thing.

It's just another case of a physical store failing to change with the market. Web sales and supermarket shopping have decimated them, and having 10,000 copies of Fifa 2008 in preowned stock is just madness. I can see why preowned is attractive to a store, but there must be a point where you don't want another copy of a game that won't sell, even if you are only giving a pound for it. It's still a pound you won't get back.

I'll be more upset when HMV goes, I've got some really happy memories of how buying music used to be, browsing for rare titles, or getting an album on the day of release with only having heard one track off it on the radio. Happy days, but nostalgia has no place on the modern high street. Unfortunately it's change or die for a lot of stores.

It's getting fairly obvious that by the end of this year we'll probably have lost Game and HMV, with Waterstones probably near death. I reckon 2013 will see the end of WH Smith as the demand for half price chocolate dries up.

cubik

It's definitely not looking good. But it's got to the point where the pressure to get pre-orders is fucking unbelievable, it all reeks of absolute desperation.

And the staff are now (mostly) better off buying from other websites than in-store, and that's including our staff discount, which shrunk a few months back.

[quote name='Dudley' timestamp='1328127262' post='8419726']
Waterstones is profitable, that's why HMV was able to sell it.
[/quote]
Let's hope it stays that way. The Kindle and other e-readers are really taking hold now, and could do for books what mp3 did for music shops. The larger format books and children's book market aren't really affected by e-readers though so it has a chance of retaining quite a decent chunk of its customers. I think the top 10 paperback sales have been lost to supermarkets for some time so it's obviously managed to cope with that.

cubik

[quote name='hub2' timestamp='1328105434' post='8419038']
Wow, a Game shop without games. How novel.
[/quote]

maybe they're going "digital distribution"?

Are they just hoping the Vita will sell well enough to keep them going? I popped in to the Sauchiehall Street one and got some pre-owned games with a 25quid gift card i had. It was buy two get one free, but it was a total nightmare trying to find three worth getting as the shelves were barren, and one entire side of the stand was almost full of 48p copies of FIFA. Total shambles.

Oh, it was Red Dead Redemption, Brutal Legend and Street Fighter 4 I got. The server kid saw the games and asked me if I liked metal, which was a nice change from being asked if I wanted to pre-order some big name ned-o-game on the horizon or whether I not I wanted to buy a giant puffy 3ds carry case with a pokechu stitched lovelessly onto it. He didn't mention that Street Fighter 4 was pretty much pointless since Super was the same price, but i'll let him away with it.

Uh... I'm not sure what my point actually is here. I guess what i'm saying is I won't miss it when it's gone.

They are royally screwed if they think Vita is going to make any difference whatsoever. Does anyone really give the slightest shit about it?

But if HMV and they both go bust, there's a market there for a high street games shop which is well run if someone who knows what they're doing snaps it up.

Did he point out that Street Fighter IV is pretty much pointless if you've spent the last two years playing Super every second?

Ha. I'd already 1000gamerpoint'ed street fighter 4 and super, and clocked up combined hours on them totalling 2400 hours or so. I just keep giving copies to people and re-buying it to spread the enthusiasm. No one else cares.

[quote name='joffocakes' timestamp='1328130995' post='8419871']
Ha. I'd already 1000gamerpoint'ed street fighter 4 and super, and clocked up combined hours on them totalling 2400 hours or so. I just keep giving copies to people and re-buying it to spread the enthusiasm. No one else cares.
[/quote]
And yet I don't have a copy. :angry:

[quote name='cpc464' timestamp='1328124465' post='8419649']bad stuff[/quote]

I hope if they do go under you can find a better job soon. I don't mean to be horrible or antagonistic, but have you considered looking elsewhere for management opportunities...?

Game/Station staff it's time to tart up those CV's and start looking for jobs. NOW. Don't think 'it'll get better in a few weeks' because it never does.

I played the Vita today in Gamestation. In the same way that 3DS Zelda looked just like I remembered the N64 version was, the Vita looked like an ugly PSP and Wipeout didn't look any more impressive than Ridge Racer on PSP.

I KNOW this is rose tinted spectacles, but like Choddo says, I really don't see any interest in it. There's loads of gamers where I work and we had a fair bit of chat about the 3DS before launch, but no-ones mentioned the Vita once.

and obviously the pre-orders are dead as soon as this news hits the wider press. Nobody will give deposits to a company they think is about to tank.

Anyone fancy combining this with the other "Game is doomed" thread to create a full-on Game discussion spectacular?

The Vita is of interest because its the first handheld that actually stands close to a current gen TV console experience, its got the inputs, its got the power and for those of us who have limited main screen time due to family commitments its potentially huge. Its also got a new Uncharted game which to be honest is enough to sell it to me.

And those are seriously rose tinted specs you have - I've yet to see a Vita in the flesh but Zelda on the 3DS looks like how you [b]remember [/b]the N64 version - if you put the original game on now you realise exactly how much things have moved on in the last 8 years....

Back on topic though the Vita has no chance of saving Game - its the wrong time of year and the market is niche. I don't think they'll make it to the 720/PS4/WiiU launches which is what they really need to save themselves...

[quote name='cpc464' timestamp='1328124465' post='8419649']
Not had a chance to fully to read up on this, but as a store manager at Gamestation, our wages didn't go through first thing on the 31st (we get paid on the last day of each month).
[/quote]

Oh dear oh dear oh dear. Good luck man. Start looking for something else now. That's shocking.

[quote name='cubik' timestamp='1328127070' post='8419718']
I reckon 2013 will see the end of WH Smith as the demand for half price chocolate dries up.[/quote]

Interestingly they are doing really well.

[url="http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/analysis-and-features/a-much-better-story-at-wh-smith-6294486.html"]http://www.independe...th-6294486.html[/url]

[quote name='No Substance' timestamp='1328134790' post='8419989']
Game/Station staff it's time to tart up those CV's and start looking for jobs. NOW. Don't think 'it'll get better in a few weeks' because it never does.
[/quote]

and if the company goes under I would not bet on the adminstrators giving a fair redundency or sorting out your last paycheck in a hurry.

Rick Strider (the guy that brought that Game shares) is on NeoGAF for those intrested.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34760404&postcount=336