sandman

Is "Game" finished?

7,891 posts in this topic

It has been in place since at least 2006 when I worked there.

On another note, a friend of mine went to pick up Kingdoms of Amalur after I told him it is great. £20 in HMV, but sold out, so he went into GAME. £42.99. Unreal. He ended up getting it on Amazon for £17

That's for clarifying that.

On your other note, I also went into Blockbuster, which I had not seen the inside of for years.

The prices of console games in there, were even more expensive than Game !

On your other note, I also went into Blockbuster, which I had not seen the inside of for years.

They have gone up recently, but my "local" isn't anywhere near as expensive as Game.

Gone are the £30 new releases, sure, but £38 is still somewhat shy of £45.

Blockbuster were good on used prices up until about a year ago. Now they are terrible on everything.

Second hand games are still pretty good in there.

Went to Game (in Comet) today, and I was about to have a go at game for pricing the first NFS:MW at £17 pre-owned, (£20 new, but OoS, on the website) concidering it was a launch title for the 360 back in 2005, and the "sequel" is out soon...

but then amazon want £16 for it

so it's teh raer!

Gamestation actually beat CEX on trade in price for my Kinect! Without price matching! :o

Went to Game (in Comet) today, and I was about to have a go at game for pricing the first NFS:MW at £17 pre-owned, (£20 new, but OoS, on the website) concidering it was a launch title for the 360 back in 2005, and the "sequel" is out soon...

but then amazon want £16 for it

so it's teh raer!

Yeah it really is, at the time they first did the games on demand it was the only one that you couldn't buy cheaper new elsewhere.

I popped into Gamestation today on my quest to find Pikmin 2 for the Wii, as I had previously seen the first one in their preowned section and hoped I might get lucky. I was looking on the shelves and their Wii pre-owned started with the letter S box, but it was actually A, and then it ran for about two shelves before the alphabetacising started over again. :huh:

So I thought bugger this, and just went to ask behind the till if they could have a look in the drawers to see if they had it, to which I was told that Pikmin 2 never came out on the Wii, only the first one did. I firmly reassured myself and said "no, it definitely did, but I guess this means you don't have it then?", to which I was then ignored and told "no, it only ever came out on GameCube, it's not on our website but the first one is. It could be that we never stocked it in the first place."

Still can't believe that after the troubles they've been through they're still treating 'core' customers like me like idiots and telling me I'm wrong, not to mention they've forgotten their ABCs.

tl;dr: Game Group are still teh doomed!

In other news, Ian Shepherd has started a blog on - yes! - how to best understand, cater for, and care for your core customer base. No, seriously!

http://ianashepherd.typepad.com/moving-tribes/

Its torture going in there nowadays and actually finding something for a half decent price. All the nice staff have left and their stock levels are terrible compared to CEX. In fact CEX has replaced the game group as the store where I buy most of my secondhand games.

I really dont see them lasting much longer. They are much much quiter than a year ago. I did manage to find a couple of ok prices on PSP games. But everything else is vastly overpriced, particularly Wii and DS.

Had to but dragons dogma from Game today at £38 preowned as it was the only copy in Inverness it seems and I wanted it ASAP.

They've not learned anything. They're just delaying the fucking inevitable. Fucking idiots.

Lollipop chainsaw was £30 compared to £35 elsewhere and the last story was £25 compared to 40 in hmv. I think they are getting better but crap uninformed staff are something every company has.

Yes pikmin 2 came out on the wii but no staff will know every release that came out in the last 5 years so I think it can be forgivable, especially when day in and day out customers swear blind they play Halo on their mates PS Vita.

2 games do not make them getting better, especially as their trade prices still take the piss, the second hand prices are fucking abominable and their stock levels are a fucking joke.

Yes pikmin 2 came out on the wii but no staff will know every release that came out in the last 5 years so I think it can be forgivable, especially when day in and day out customers swear blind they play Halo on their mates PS Vita.

Them not knowing is forgiveable.

Then telling someone repeatedly that it did not come out is not.

In other news, Ian Shepherd has started a blog on - yes! - how to best understand, cater for, and care for your core customer base. No, seriously!

http://ianashepherd..../moving-tribes/

Ian Shepherd is actually a pen name, his real name is Bruce Ever("Syth" -ed)

Yes pikmin 2 came out on the wii but no staff will know every release that came out in the last 5 years so I think it can be forgivable,

As Dudley already said for me, that was just part of the wider problem: that their shelves seems to have been bombed (which is crazy because in all fairness to them they're usually immaculately ordered) and the woman behind the till remained stoney-faced and abrupt.

Plus Pikmin 2 was three years ago... ;)

Challenging a customer even if you know you are right is bad customer service.

Correct that is a staff issue and everyone has some bad staff. I had great service when I went in at weekend, nice chatty bloke asked once if I wanted to preorder anything as I was trading in quite a bit so obviously had the "cash" lol... No hard sell, maximised by reward points by doing trade in on one transaction to gift card and then sales on seperate transaction.

Also if you are quoting her word for word she actually softens her stance at the end "It could be we never stocked it in the first place" which indicates she is admitting that she is not sure on its status.

as for prices comparing like for like on high street they were cheapest for Lollipop Chainsaw (no idea why) and I was in there and HMV and tesco at weekend and new/preowned prices varied between all three with winners and losers all round no one shop came out best or worst. My hunch was that HMV were marginally worse in general

And for trade in I traded in £160 worth of stuff which would only have netted me £110 at HMV. And it was more than I wouldve got from Amazon Marketplace etc.

Whether paying out more than competitiors for trade ins is a good business sense, we will have to wait and see.

HMV have gotten absolutely abominable with both stock and price if my local is any indication.

I noticed that as well. Odd coincidence around the time that GAME went under HMV trade prices went through the floor. I had a few games and bits teeetering on edge of being traded in so I used their app to monitor price every so often and the difference in price from before GAME went into administration to after was obvious and marked

Also since administration of GAME HMV new and preowned prices have seemed less generous with less offers and discounts. They were my go to high street store before GAME went into administration. Now it seems to be Game(station) again.

Obviously "go to high street store" really means "best of bad bunch compared to online" But you know what I mean :)

I tried to get shot of this trade in credit from the pre-administration trade in deal the other day. Bought Max Payne on the PC - £37.99! Most expensive I'd seen it anywhere. Asked for Student Discount (didnt think they still did it) and the guy starts putting it through. Starts yapping on about pre-orders, how great Halo is, how great CoD is. Blah blah blah.

Get back home, check the receipt and despite all that, he didnt take the discount off, still charged £37.99 and the fucker is only £29.99 on Steam! Ripped off well and truely.

You're all right that there is a certain way to say things, I guess what im saying is you can't blame GAME as a whole for one rude staff member. Sadly every store has poor staff members and GAME is no exception, the only way to combat that is complain to the company but then is it really worth the hassle? GAME are not an amazing company anymore (and never really were), they still do bad things but i think they are better than they were six months ago and some of the moaning here (not aimed at you tnman) does sound like a music lover moaning that NickleBack CDs in HMV are located in the metal section rather than Rock/Pop.

Get back home, check the receipt and despite all that, he didnt take the discount off, still charged £37.99 and the fucker is only £29.99 on Steam! Ripped off well and truely.

Long story short, always check your receipt before leaving store ;) And disks etc... check everything. The number of anecdotes on here that end with "and when I got home I found out the disc was scratched/box damaged/overcharged/they raped my cat" amuses me. Take two secs out of your busy day and check :)

And yeah I know you shouldn't have to but this is a world where the economy is fucked and retail is on its knees and it employs minimum wage workers who have little incentive to do a good job.

I checked my receipt when I did trade in.. and I sensibly got psn codes and XBLA codes (left some on card just in case of the odd low price like lollipop chainsaw :) )

So with the vita sales on digital download I am quids in :P

Challenging a customer even if you know you are right is bad customer service.

Well not quite true, if they claim something obviously dumb like "Playstation 3 games run on a 360", it's good service to try and convince them otherwise.

If it's something where there is a chance, however small, where you're wrong it'd be very easy to say "I wasn't aware that it ever came out for x, I haven't seen a copy here but let me double check" rather than "I didn't come out for x".

My game recently got iTunes vouchers in so I spunked the remaining £45 odd on my gift card on them. Probably the only thing in Game that you can't get for cheaper elsewhere!

Managed to use some credit online by having another card created in GS today. The guy ordered Dragons Dogma online in the shop!

Good service as I was moaning that they never had the game in stock. Result! £38 brand new delivered.

you can't blame GAME as a whole for one rude staff member.

You can, and should. The staff member is the company, in the context of the customer's interaction with them. Anything they say and do to customers in store is Game saying and doing it.