Bourbon

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 choddo

choddo
  • Supporters
  • 78202 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

You can but there are a myriad of cocktails that are supposed to be made with bourbon anyway.

My usual drink is a sweet manhattan.

Other classics include the old fashioned, as Joyrex mentioned, and the mint julep. These are three cocktails that anyone who drinks should be able to create at home, at a moment's notice.

Here's a Manhattan, how I make it:

50ml bourbon whiskey (I quite like Makers or Knob Creek)
15/20/25ml (dry, perfect, sweet), red vermouth (so Martini Rosso at the low end)
1 dash bitters (angostura is the dominant brand over here)
1 maraschino cherry

Prepare a martini glass by filling it with iced water and allowing it to sit
Prepare a parallel sided thermos by filling it with ice (if you don't have one you're after something that will hold about a pint)
Pour the whiskey, vermouth, and a dash of bitters over the ice
STIR the ice with a bar spoon to taste - usually around 40 seconds stirring quickly (get a bar spoon for about 4 off ebay if you don't have one)
Drain the glass of iced water
OPTIONAL: add a teaspoon of the maraschino syrup to the glass, roll it around to coat the surface, discard any excess (this is a wash)
Strain the drink into the now delightfully chilled glass
Add cherry

Sip and enjoy, realising your superiority over those drinking lagers.

this has made me really want a cold lager.

#32 Robbo

Robbo
  • Supporters
  • 5562 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:27 AM

I would expect nothing less! :D

#33 doublethemeat

doublethemeat
  • Members
  • 2761 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:16 PM

3 American Rye Whiskeys you should apparently try

#34 Floshenbarnical

Floshenbarnical
  • Members
  • 4640 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:06 PM

I remember in another thread effectively ranting about Four Roses. Everyone should try it, it's a fantastic and (for no good reason) very cheap. Even the Small Batch and Single Barrel are inexpensive, and are fantastic both straight and mixed. We use it as the yellow label as our house bourbon at work.

Someone else mentioned Buffalo Trace, which I do find to be very pleasant. It's a great bourbon both straight and mixed, especially if you are looking to make a flip (a drink containing an egg yolk) because it has fantastic vanilla and chocolatey notes.

#35 doublethemeat

doublethemeat
  • Members
  • 2761 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:35 PM

I'm going to treat myself to a bottle at the end of the month, can someone recommend me one?

I would like it to have a very vanilla flavour... I suppose Buffalo Trace could be a contender based on what CitizenMatt says.

#36 lankysanchez

lankysanchez
  • Supporters
  • 2199 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

I usually go for Scotch rather than bourbons, but I've always really liked Wild Turkey. Must treat myself to a new bottle soon. I also have a bottle of Sazerac rye which is stunning mixed with Fentiman's Curiosity Cola.

#37 kerraig UK

kerraig UK
  • Members
  • 19993 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:48 AM

My girlfriend loves Jim Beam with cranberry juice, a slice of lime and some melted sugar. I tasted it and it's gorgeous.

#38 Smitty

Smitty
  • Members
  • 70412 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

Willd Turkey is fiery, great stuff.

#39 deerokus

deerokus
  • Members
  • 11704 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

Maker's Mark, Knob Creek and Wild Turkey are all fantastic. I used to fill a hip flask with some and take it to parties and stuff until someone said it seemed like something an alcoholic would do (I drink like twice a month!).

#40 Smitty

Smitty
  • Members
  • 70412 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

Maker's Mark, Knob Creek and Wild Turkey are all fantastic. I used to fill a hip flask with some and take it to parties and stuff until someone said it seemed like something an alcoholic would do (I drink like twice a month!).

I might buy a hip flask and start doing this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users