PS4 and next Xbox at this year's E3

• Please log in to reply
2033 replies to this topic

#1711 Stanley

Stanley
  • Members
  • 15660 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

Initial 360 releases were barely better than ps ones.

That's a bit extreme - PGR 3, Call of Duty 2 and Condemned were beyond what had come before. Not the strongest launch ever in terms of a killer app but a few quality titles nonetheless.

#1712 kensei

kensei
  • Members
  • 3150 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

There was loads of stuff like Gun that was just PS2 upressed. I imagine Wii U will have a couple of graphical stand uut titles, but lots of 3rd party stuff will be the same.

Assuming of course Nintendo just hasn't stapled two wii together again

#1713 Stanley

Stanley
  • Members
  • 15660 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

Yep, I'm expecting similar performance to that of current gen for third party stuff to begin with. But it's the controller that I think will draw people to it.

#1714 Stingo

Stingo
  • Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

Bottom line - as rgraves put it, what we have here is something approaching a holy grail - it only does everything. Nintendo games in HD and third party games to appeal to the hardcore. It's biggest and best feature is the tablet though.

If it flies off the shelves they will only need a year to secure their place.

You and rGraves are really dreaming. Of all the casuals I know who've bought a Wii, none are still using it now - it was a gimmick, funny for some occasional Wii-parties @ somebody's house about a year after it came out. That tradition died off soon enough as all - ALL- participants agreed that the supposed motioncontrol was vastly overpromised. So don't expect many people to rush out and buy this new Ninty-toy on release or a year later. The core most likely will, just as the core will buy PS/Xbox the year after that. Nintendo's machines in the past haven''t exactly gotten a reputation as THE (streaming) media-machine either... so holy grail - for your taste of gaming maybe - but not in the slightest as the one-convergence-box-to-rule-them-all-for-the-masses.

The nextgen will be a lot more resembling a three-horse-race this time round.

#1715 SeanR

SeanR
  • Supporters
  • 107005 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

I liked gun...

#1716 Aimless

Aimless
  • Members
  • 6075 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

As this is the "next gen" thread du jour, might as well put this in here too:

Wii U less powerful than PS3, Xbox 360, developers say

Nintendo's upcoming Wii U console may generate full HD graphics, but it's not up to the graphics power of the Xbox 360 or the PS3, according to developers familiar with the hardware who spoke on a condition of anonymity to GamesIndustry International.Sources say that Nintendo's new console is not even equal to the current generation

"No, it's not up to the same level as the PS3 or the 360.," said one developer who's been working with the Wii U. What does that mean? "The graphics are just not as powerful," reiterated the source.

This developer is not alone in their opinion. Another developer at a major company confirmed this point of view. "Yeah, that's true. It doesn't produce graphics as well as the PS3 or the 360," said the source. "There aren't as many shaders, it's not as capable. Sure, some things are better, mostly as a result of it being a more modern design. But overall the Wii U just can't quite keep up."

You can read the entire article here.

I'm pretty sure we've run the full gamut of WiiU capability estimations at this point, but I thought it worth mentioning given its publication on a fairly reputable site. The PS3/Vita comments come across as a bit troll-ish, mind; cool as it is, that is inherently niche functionality.

#1717 dng

dng
  • Members
  • 7134 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

They should get rid of shaders anyway and enforce a wireframe only policy on all games.

#1718 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 18052 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

Awww, so it really is just four gamecubes taped together instead of two! :lol:

#1719 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 18052 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

In all seriousness, the more uhm 'loyal' Nintendo fans keep banging on about how the Wii U is also aimed at the core audience, because you know it has HD graphics this time and it will have some of the same third-party games on top of the usual Nintendo exclusives - and you've have to be dead inside to not want to buy a brand new console just for Nintendo exclusives, right? But if the above rumour is true (and it just as easily could turn out to be bollocks as the previous rumours said the Wii U was slightly more powerful than the 360) what would that mean for that particular argument? Would 'core gamers' really want to invest in a new console slightly less powerful than the ones they've been using for the better part of a decade by now? Just because it has a tablet interface and some interesting exclusives? Despite the ever increasing hype and anticipation surrounding the next-gen consoles from Sony and MS? Interesting times, I really am looking forward to seeing how it all turns out with the Wii U. I have no interest whatsoever in it myself, but after the success of the Wii I wouldn't it put it past Nintendo to actually manage to produce and equally successful follow-up. And who knows, maybe the draw of actually holding the motion tracker in your hands in the upcoming Aliens games really is enough to convince the 'core audience'... stranger things have happened.

#1720 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41606 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

What a surprise.
Your hardly going to need rendering power to render some grass and a golf ball now are you?

I mean, my washing machine could do that.

#1721 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 18052 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:20 PM

I mean, my washing machine could do that.

Yeah my washing machine can also do that easy, I just wish I could say the same about my Wii :(

#1722 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 31328 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:36 PM

I liked gun...

It was sorely underrated.

#1723 scottcr

scottcr
  • Supporters
  • 31459 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

we've had from 7 times more powerful to not as powerful...

YAWN - really... is that REALLY all that people care about.

personally, I'll get nice new HD Zeldas and Mario and happy days.

#1724 dng

dng
  • Members
  • 7134 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:41 PM

Graphics have been banned. Text adventures only.

#1725 Aimless

Aimless
  • Members
  • 6075 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

Apparently you want the same games in HD, so I guess power is all that people care about.

#1726 scottcr

scottcr
  • Supporters
  • 31459 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

the same games.... gimme another SMG any day rather than another bore laden po-faced characterless western RPG any day thank you very much.

#1727 Stanley

Stanley
  • Members
  • 15660 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

You and rGraves are really dreaming. Of all the casuals I know who've bought a Wii, none are still using it now - it was a gimmick, funny for some occasional Wii-parties @ somebody's house about a year after it came out. That tradition died off soon enough as all - ALL- participants agreed that the supposed motioncontrol was vastly overpromised. So don't expect many people to rush out and buy this new Ninty-toy on release or a year later. The core most likely will, just as the core will buy PS/Xbox the year after that. Nintendo's machines in the past haven''t exactly gotten a reputation as THE (streaming) media-machine either... so holy grail - for your taste of gaming maybe - but not in the slightest as the one-convergence-box-to-rule-them-all-for-the-masses.

The nextgen will be a lot more resembling a three-horse-race this time round.

RLLMUK never lets me down. No one uses their Wii. Third party games don't sell, and actually in this summary no games at all sold, or hardware it would appear, after only one year.

And you are totally correct - Nintendo's machines in the past haven't been regarded as THE streaming media machines. Come to think of it I don't think they've made one before, or anyone else, but you know, you are still factually correct.

The big thing to note about Wii U is that it's boxed controller, and the other supported controllers, cover just about every conceivable input method I can think of - but most important is the touch screen tablet. It's become the de facto standard way of interacting with just about everything these days do why should games consoles be any different?

#1728 Sprite Machine

Sprite Machine
  • Members
  • 24930 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:28 PM

I think you're missing my point...which is:

If they are on-par, why would an average consumer walk into a game store and buy a PS3 or 360 over a Wii U? At that point, the platform exclusives are the ones that people will make a decision on and, as I've already outlined, I think the Nintendo stable will be more widely appealing.

Because they'll have a humungous established catalogue of HD games, and I dunno maybe their mates already have them?

The first year of any console launch is generally shitbags. I don't see why the WiiU will be any different.

#1729 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 18052 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:29 PM

Man, I miss the days of the start of this generation when Reggie was saying "nobody cares about HD!" and you and the rest of the Nintendo faithful happily chanting along... fast forward to now and suddenly it's all "fuck yeah, Mario and Zelda iN HD!!! BESTEST CONSOLE EVAR!!!" :lol:

#1730 Stanley

Stanley
  • Members
  • 15660 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:37 PM

Man, I miss the days of the start of this generation when Reggie was saying "nobody cares about HD!" and you and the rest of the Nintendo faithful happily chanting along... fast forward to now and suddenly it's all "fuck yeah, Mario and Zelda is HD!!! BESTEST CONSOLE EVAR!!!" :lol:

He was right though, at the start of this generation. The problem being that for gamers who've gone HD the Wii stands out as lacking - but most people probably still couldn't give a shit. At the end if the day they've sold 90 million so I don't think HD alone is winning many battles.

#1731 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 18052 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:43 PM

He was right though, at the start of this generation. The problem being that for gamers who've gone HD the Wii stands out as lacking - but most people probably still couldn't give a shit. At the end if the day they've 90 million so I don't think HD alone is winning many battles.

You missed my point completely, but yeah I agree that just being HD and on par with the ageing current gen isn't going to be enough. Like I speculated earlier, I think they need another 'Wii Sports', only this time one that sells the tablet as a fun gimmick to the masses. i.e. it's going to be the Nintendo games that will convince people to invest in a Wii U, especially if they already have a current gen console (not an unlikely scenario if you want to attract a 'core audience' this time around) as just a few token ports from 3rd parties isn't going to cut it.

#1732 dng

dng
  • Members
  • 7134 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

This time instead of those horrible feeling rubber things you have to wrap the remote up in to make sure you don't accidentally smash it against the floor are going to be made out of only the finest silks and furs known to mankind. The sheer tactile pleasure of holding one will be so great it will be impossible to describe.

#1733 Stanley

Stanley
  • Members
  • 15660 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:56 PM

You missed my point completely, but yeah I agree that just being HD and on par with the ageing current gen isn't going to be enough. Like I speculated earlier, I think they need another 'Wii Sports', only this time one that sells the tablet as a fun gimmick to the masses. i.e. it's going to be the Nintendo games that will convince people to invest in a Wii U, especially if they already have a current gen console (not an unlikely scenario if you want to attract a 'core audience' this time around) as just a few token ports from 3rd parties isn't going to cut it.

Your point being one presumes that all Nintendo fans were glad the Wii wasn't HD, or pretended they weren't bothered. I certainly don't think that was the case, and there's been talk - rumours or otherwise - about Wii HD for years now.

The touch screen is far less of a gimmick. We've had them for years now.

#1734 SeanR

SeanR
  • Supporters
  • 107005 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:01 AM

Or indeed that they know the other two consoles exist and are "better"

#1735 pulsemyne

pulsemyne
  • Members
  • 6883 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:03 AM

We know its a more powerful machine because they had Batman running on it during GDC. Mark rein played the thing. As for the articles comment on the number of shaders well that mental as the XBOX only has about 40. Even bottom of the range cards have a lot more.

#1736 Stanley

Stanley
  • Members
  • 15660 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:10 AM

I'm really looking forward to E3 if only because they will have nailed down the final specs, or at least final as much as no real difference in the retail product.

#1737 rgraves

rgraves
  • Members
  • 5924 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:00 AM

You and rGraves are really dreaming. Of all the casuals I know who've bought a Wii, none are still using it now - it was a gimmick, funny for some occasional Wii-parties @ somebody's house about a year after it came out. That tradition died off soon enough as all - ALL- participants agreed that the supposed motioncontrol was vastly overpromised.

Ahh the anecdotal Wii is a fad/gimmick argument. Which might work, if only every single sales figure didn't completely blow it out of the water. I mean honestly, hasn't it sold hardware/software in enough numbers now that we're past this entire debate? The Wii was a success for Nintendo pretty much however you look at it, anyone trying to say otherwise is doing nothing other than highlighting their own narrow view.

Generation transitions are always unpredictable and great to watch (who honestly would have forecast Nintendo to have the highest selling home and portable platforms this time around?). What we're about to see beginning at this E3 is the dice being thrown in the air by everyone again. Nobody, and I mean nobody (not even the family, friends, and work colleagues of scottcr), knows what's going to happen.

#1738 Robo_1

Robo_1
  • Supporters
  • 8375 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

My gut tells me this is horse shit. We've had rumors ranging from 50 percent more powerful, to parity and now, just under. Yet as keen as I am to dismiss it out of hand, if you'd have told me a year before the Wii's release, that in the face of HD competition, Nintendo would release a console which was barely better specced than a Gamecube, I would have been equally skeptical.

On the one hand, Nintendo will undoubtedly be looking to trim the budget of the Wii U where they think they can, as the costs of bundling the tablet controller in with each console is going to impact their build cost. Nintendo's business model is also based around selling hardware for a profit, and after being stung by the 3DS, they may be pulling the spec back to achieve profitability. I mean obviously the main chips will have been locked down years ago, but memory and onboard storage will likely have only been locked down recently, and I suppose it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they could have decided to under clock the chips to enable a cheaper cooling solution. Which would explain the disparity in the reported power of the machine.

On the other hand, I was under the impression that part of Wii U's goal was to lure back the core gamer. If they ship a device which can barely keep up with the current gen - let alone the next - then surely they'll find themselves no more popular with the CoD crowd as they were with the Wii. Not a problem if the more casual audience responds to the idea of a tablet controller with the same enthusiasm they did for the motion controlled Wii, but if that audience doesn't come out for them, they could be left in a very unenviable position.

I'm still calling BS though.

#1739 Broker

Broker
  • Members
  • 13355 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

Surely one of the things wrong with their idea of attracting the core audience is that the Wii U has two of those horrible little slidepads like the 3DS instead of proper analogue sticks? Basically, the second anyone holds the controller and uses it they'll immediately be struck by the fact that it's analogue control option is inferior to that of the PSone. That's the core audience driven away almost immediately.

#1740 utopastac

utopastac
  • Members
  • 3312 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

What's everyone's problem with the slide pads? I've personally found them just as effective as other analogue sticks. I certainly prefer the one on the 3DS to the Vita sticks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users