The terrifying, never-ending Star Trek thread

• Please log in to reply
1469 replies to this topic

#451 Haribo

Haribo
  • Members
  • 4801 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

Star Trek Insurrection was so, so bad. I couldn't believe it.

#452 Charles

Charles
  • Supporters
  • 5707 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

Nah. Insurrection was fine. Much better than Nemesis. Yes, it was something that could have been a 2 part TV episode but as things go, a 2 part TNG episode with a bigger budget isn't such a bad thing.

However, I will admit that it was a missed opportunity to try and do something grander in scale and take advantage of being a movie, much in the same way as First Contact is a very good movie in the way it told its story.

#453 Hexx

Hexx
  • Members
  • 14601 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

TBH that's offensive to the TV episodes :)

http://redlettermedi...k-insurrection/

(All the RLM Star Treks ones are worth a watch, not quite as biting as the Star Wars ones though. The Star Trek 2009 one is actually very interesting as he actually seems to like/explains why it works)

#454 Haribo

Haribo
  • Members
  • 4801 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

Haven't seen Nemesis but coming from the frankly outstanding First Contact, Insurrection was hugely disappointing. So bad.

#455 Red Alignment

Red Alignment
  • Members
  • 2996 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

Haven't seen Nemesis but coming from the frankly outstanding First Contact, Insurrection was hugely disappointing. So bad.

Nemesis makes Insurrection seem like the height of cinematic artistry. I remember so clearly the day I saw Nemesis in the cinema, opening weekend, was at most seven people watching. My Trek fan friend's face fell into a range of grimaces and pained expressions throughout the screening. I'm sure that later that evening he must've burnt his Trek collection.

#456 Eats hoops and leaves

Eats hoops and leaves
  • Members
  • 27549 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:15 AM

Nemesis is so, so bad. I can`t figure out the reasoning for even one of the scenes in it.

#457 Sprite Machine

Sprite Machine
  • Members
  • 24666 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

TBH that's offensive to the TV episodes :)

http://redlettermedi...k-insurrection/

(All the RLM Star Treks ones are worth a watch, not quite as biting as the Star Wars ones though. The Star Trek 2009 one is actually very interesting as he actually seems to like/explains why it works)

I don't have sound enabled here (or half an hour to spare); can you summarise the key points of contention?

#458 SeanR

SeanR
  • Supporters
  • 103908 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

I'm convinced that nemesis is a subliminal ad for the xbox 360

#459 Haribo

Haribo
  • Members
  • 4801 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

I take back my previous comments regarding Voyager. I'm halfway through season four and it has got really enjoyable.

#460 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

I can think of two reasons for that
Spoiler

#461 SqueakyG

SqueakyG
  • Members
  • 2900 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:40 PM

You can keep your moose-faced Borg whore. I'm on season 7 of DS9 right now, and there's only one woman for me... the super cute adorable Ezri Dax.

#462 Eddie

Eddie
  • Members
  • 6695 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:22 AM

Only me that finds Jennifer Lien (Kes) more attractive than Jerry Ryan (7 of 9)?

#463 Eats hoops and leaves

Eats hoops and leaves
  • Members
  • 27549 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:02 AM

No. Jerry Ryan is not at all attractive. We all know that Keiko is the resident Trek babe anyway ;)

#464 Eddie

Eddie
  • Members
  • 6695 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:09 AM

The Japanese wife of O'Brien? Although not stunning, there's something about her that makes her better than all the other women on the programme.

What was it again?

Oh yes

Japanese

#465 SeanR

SeanR
  • Supporters
  • 103908 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:08 AM

The Japanese wife of O'Brien? Although not stunning, there's something about her that makes her better than all the other women on the programme.

What was it again?

Oh yes

Posted Image
oh my!

#466 Comrade

Comrade
  • Members
  • 13185 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

You can keep your moose-faced Borg whore. I'm on season 7 of DS9 right now, and there's only one woman for me... the super cute adorable Ezri Dax.

+1, my good man.

#467 Eats hoops and leaves

Eats hoops and leaves
  • Members
  • 27549 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:50 AM

What was it again?

Oh yes

She's actually got her shit together unlike a lot of the Trek cast and is completely devoted and forgiving. She also loves horticulture and there's nothing more attractive than a woman with a passion. She's so cool.

#468 Harsin

Harsin
  • Members
  • 14714 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

Only me that finds Jennifer Lien (Kes) more attractive than Jerry Ryan (7 of 9)?

Do yourself a favour and don't look for modern pictures of her. Ocampa do not age well.

#469 Haribo

Haribo
  • Members
  • 4801 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

The Doctor is my favourite character!

#470 Eighthours

Eighthours
  • Members
  • 14957 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

I take back my previous comments regarding Voyager. I'm halfway through season four and it has got really enjoyable.

Yeah, you're at the high point. Most of 4 and some of 5 are OK, then it nose-dives horribly for the final couple of seasons.

#471 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

BTW CBS Action are showing the remastered TOS from Wed

#472 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 30551 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:25 AM

Nemesis at least proved that not all equal-numbered movies were as equal as others.

#473 Nifta

Nifta
  • Members
  • 1854 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

I don't get all the hate for Nemesis. I rather like it! Exciting, dramatic, emotional. Shinzon's a pretty cool villain, both in terms of conception and execution. Epic space battles too. What's not to like?

#474 AK Bell

AK Bell
  • Members
  • 4882 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:57 AM

I don't get all the hate for Nemesis. I rather like it! Exciting, dramatic, emotional. Shinzon's a pretty cool villain, both in terms of conception and execution. Epic space battles too. What's not to like?

Mostly the bit where Troi gets raped and Picard tells her she'll just have to get over it and do her job.

Oh, and the way it just ignores any character development made over the previous years.

#475 SqueakyG

SqueakyG
  • Members
  • 2900 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

I'm finished! With DS9, I mean. It's done! All 7 seasons! Excellent stuff.

The only problem was that I got an itching to watch some other Ron Moore stuff, perhaps a bit grittier and darker than DS9, hmm what could that be? Yes, I bought the whole BSG boxset.

#476 sandman

sandman
  • Members
  • 6440 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

I also don't get the hate for nemesis. For me, first contact is much poorer

#477 SqueakyG

SqueakyG
  • Members
  • 2900 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

Nemesis:

I can watch Nemesis just for fun, but I'm very aware that it's quite shit. The main problem is that it twists TNG into such standard sci-fi action movie fare that the heart of TNG is unrecognisable. The movies already have the problem of accommodating Patrick Stewart as an action lead, but it's taken to an extreme in Nemesis. He takes every opportunity to climb into vehicles and twat around in them like some kind of Shakespearean Jeremy Clarkson. He rams the Enterprise into the Scimitar like a bad case of space rage.

Nemesis is a limp rip-off of The Wrath of Khan with none of the skill that made Kirk and Khan's conflict so compelling. The worst action cliche of all is: "This time it's personal!" And that's what Shinzon is all about. Why did the enemy have to be a clone of Picard? It doesn't actually mean much to the story. And why introduce Remans when the Romulans were already ripe for deeper exploration? Bat-people look more like baddies I guess.

They chose an action director who knew nothing about Star Trek, which can sometimes be a good move. Insurrection failed because it was too familiar and cosy, so they wanted a fresh new direction. Unfortunately Stuart Baird filled Nemesis with tired old action tropes and cliches. There are corridor shootouts lifted straight from Star Wars -- frigging Star Wars! -- probably because that was Baird's only point of reference. Riker and the baddie fight on a gantry and guess what? The baddie falls to his death. Tropes like this are what make action movies boring and hollow.

Some weirdness:

Why did Shinzon bury B-4 in pieces? After all, Shinzon's overall plan was to let the Enterprise crew find B-4, activate him, then B-4 would walk around the Enterprise and access computer terminals as Shinzon's spy. So why dismember B-4 and bury him around the desert like a puzzle? What if the Enterprise crew didn't reassemble him, or just activated his head? because intrigue that's why...

And why would Shinzon bury B-4 on a planet with hostile natives who could have killed Picard and co. before they got back to the ship? Because action that's why...

Shinzon needs a blood transfusion from Picard so that he doesn't go all veiny and die. So why does he make the Enterprise wait for 17 hours before decloaking? Then why does he invite Picard to dinner and not take his blood? Then when he's actually got Picard chained up, why does he mince around like a baddie and still not have much interest in using Picard's blood?

Why did Picard have a shaved head at the Academy, when we've seen in the past that he had a full head of hair?

#478 Eighthours

Eighthours
  • Members
  • 14957 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:04 PM

Some weirdness:

Why did Shinzon bury B-4 in pieces? After all, Shinzon's overall plan was to let the Enterprise crew find B-4, activate him, then B-4 would walk around the Enterprise and access computer terminals as Shinzon's spy. So why dismember B-4 and bury him around the desert like a puzzle? What if the Enterprise crew didn't reassemble him, or just activated his head? because intrigue that's why...

And why would Shinzon bury B-4 on a planet with hostile natives who could have killed Picard and co. before they got back to the ship? Because action that's why...

Shinzon needs a blood transfusion from Picard so that he doesn't go all veiny and die. So why does he make the Enterprise wait for 17 hours before decloaking? Then why does he invite Picard to dinner and not take his blood? Then when he's actually got Picard chained up, why does he mince around like a baddie and still not have much interest in using Picard's blood?

Why did Picard have a shaved head at the Academy, when we've seen in the past that he had a full head of hair?

I see someone else watched the Red Letter Media review of the film, then... ;)

#479 Haribo

Haribo
  • Members
  • 4801 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

Much as I love TNG and quite enjoy most of Voyager, it does wind me up that there is no real progression or ongoing storyline. 99% of the episodes are completely stand-alone and it wouldn't matter in what order you watched them.

#480 JohnC

JohnC
  • Supporters
  • 40777 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

He rams the Enterprise into the Scimitar like a bad case of space rage.

That was Deanna crashing the Enterprise. Again. I don't know why they ever let her sit there.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users