Wiper

The terrifying, never-ending Star Trek thread

2,420 posts in this topic

Q: You hit me! Picard never hit me!

Sisko: I'm not Picard!!

Or something like that anyway.

Some fun speculation on that bit ( warning, last season DS9 spoilers ):

I love the idea that being the son of a prophet, Sisko actually managed to hurt Q and he just wasn't expecting it. Hence why he never returned to DS9 afterward

Some fun speculation on that bit:

I love the idea that being the son of a founder, Sisko actually managed to hurt Q and he just wasn't expecting it. Hence why he never returned to DS9 afterward

Jesus never thought of that before! Makes perfect sense.

S1 of DS9 has The Storyteller, which in my opinion is worse than anything Voyager came up with. Its just terrible.

Fortunately, S2 onwards is pretty much ace. I think the show peaked in S3, 4 and 5, but even after that has some real high points. 'In The Pale Moonlight', for example. :wub:

I think hands down, the three most mentioned specific episodes of Ds9 on this forum are "Duet", "The visitor" and "In the pale moonlight" (all mentioned this week for the 50th time). I don't think it's far fetched to cite them as the best of DS9.

While I personally think 'The Visitor' is Trek at its finest, I would rank a fair few episodes over 'Duet', even though I do love that too. The two parter 'The Die Is Cast/Improbable Cause' is possibly my favourite in the shows run. I love 'The Quickening' too, because it's incredibly bleak - particularly for Star Trek. And 'Its Only A Paper Moon' as well, because, after Garak, Nog is my favourite character in the show.

I think I may attempt a rewatch of the show soon myself. I'm currently rewatching S5 of Babylon 5 and all this posting about DS9 has got me interested again. Particularly as S5 of Babylon 5 is so shit.

Very difficult not to click any of those spoilers.

We're just over halfway through season one (it is indeed short) and it is very bleh right now - not great but not awful, just there. Still much better then Voyager was at this point and far superior to the first season of TNG but that is more of a cuss towards those shows then any kind of praise towards DS9. I know it gets amazing, but I can totally understand why anybody might stop watching at this point. If i hadnt sat through the shit that was season one/two of TNG (or the shitty first three seasons of Voyager) to get to the excellence that came later I probably would have given up by now! This season does require a lot of patience.

Just keep thinking you almost there! Hang on, you won't be disappointed.

Just keep thinking you almost there! Hang on, you won't be disappointed.

Haha, it's not that bad - like I say Voyager and in particular TNG were both much worse at this point in their lives and I ended up loving them :)

Voyager? Quit now.

It had its problems for sure (NEELIX) but I think it got a lot better towards the end, once it stopped being the Seven of Nine show.

Season 7 of Voyager was so painful; it's the only season of Trek I've not watched entirely.

I don't ever recall it stop being obsessed with 7of9.

It had its problems for sure (NEELIX) but I think it got a lot better towards the end, once it stopped being the Seven of Nine show.

That never happens! They couldn't even get her story right at the end, shoeing in a love story with Chakotay last minute ignoring all previous episodes and character development.

So we (myself and Grannysmiths) have finished watching DS9 season one, and like I have repeatedly said it is better then TNG & Voyager were during their first season. Still mostly rubbish, though - there were only a handful of good episodes in the whole season. My favourites:

Emissary - An excellent pilot that really set everything up and introduced the characters well.

Captive Pursuit - Tosk the chameleon makes friends with O'Brian

The Forsaken - I really like Odo and this episode focused on him. Has the distinction of being the first good use of Lwaxanna Troi.

Duet - First episode where Kira doesn't act like a dickhead. Harris Yulin was excellent as the imprisoned Cardassian.

In the hands of the Prophets - Best episode of the season for me. Everything came together well, good plot, and it was very well acted.

There were good parts in other episodes of course, but they were just certain scenes and not enough to recommend a whole episode. My favourite character is Odo, followed by O'Brian and Quark. Everybody else is decent with the only characters I hate being Kira (whining all of the time, ugly, shit haircut and awful costume) and Doctor Bashier due to his terrible acting and the fact he's not the EMH. Dax is a really interesting character that isn't expanded on enough. Lots of the season was quite boring to be honest, just bleh. I was disappointed at the lack of Cardassians because they are the best remaining Trek villains (considering Voyager ruined the Borg) and seemed to be a major part of the DS9 story, but barely showed up. I really enjoyed the scenes with the Tailor but he never appeared again. It's clear that the show didn't have a huge budget at this point.

Hopefully 'In the hands of he Prophets' is an indication of where the show is going, if so I am looking forward to more like that. 4/10

I don't think you have too much to worry about there.. :)

It's clear that the show didn't have a huge budget at this point.

Building the Promenade will do that.

I think your views on Kira and Bashir will change as the show goes on. Certainly, DS9 has a very strong ensemble but Bashir is a very good character by the end with some brilliant episodes which focus on him.

Also, I always felt that Sisko isn't very well written or acted in the early seasons. From Season 3 and 4 though he becomes a fantastic character.

Looking forwards, S2 is definitely a step up in quality, S3 even more so. Once you reach S4 though you've got three fantastic years to look forward to with S7 still being very good but not quite matching Seasons 4-6.

I don't think you have too much to worry about there.. :)

Yeah given what you've said, I think you'll love the whole thing.

I never warmed to Bashir too much, but he got better as the show went on.

I'd be amazing if you didn't do an about turn on Kira by the end.

I think the problem with Kira in the beginning is you can actually see her learning to act :lol: She's too confrontational and shouts at everything with the worst frustrated blurting in an angry way, often ruining lines. But as she settles into the role over the next year or two she vastly improves and by the end of the series shes as good as the rest.

I think the problem with Kira in the beginning is you can actually see her learning to act :lol: She's too confrontational and shouts at everything with the worst frustrated blurting in an angry way, often ruining lines. But as she settles into the role over the next year or two she vastly improves and by the end of the series shes as good as the rest.

The thing is, being confrontational and shouting at everything is what her character is supposed to be.

For example, in "the Emissary", she makes it pretty clear she doesn't want to be on the station, hates the federation for not helping Bajor and their treaty with the Cardassians, and that continues for most of the first season. In "Rapture" she makes a passionate statement about Sisko's influence in changing her opinion. I'd say she was acting how she was told to act, and that her character simply mellows out in general.

I think your views on Kira and Bashir will change as the show goes on. Certainly, DS9 has a very strong ensemble but Bashir is a very good character by the end with some brilliant episodes which focus on him.

Bashir is a cheeky sod the first couple of years, but then after that plot twist regarding his upbringing he just becomes ridiculously up himself.

I was disappointed at the lack of Cardassians because they are the best remaining Trek villains (considering Voyager ruined the Borg) and seemed to be a major part of the DS9 story, but barely showed up. I really enjoyed the scenes with the Tailor but he never appeared again. It's clear that the show didn't have a huge budget at this point.

Hopefully 'In the hands of he Prophets' is an indication of where the show is going, if so I am looking forward to more like that. 4/10

You will be much happier in later seasons, then!

The show actually had a bigger budget than TNG right from the start. $400k an episode more, if I recall correctly. $1.9 million versus $1.5 million.

One of the really good things about DS9 is that in the end you like all the characters. The good guys and the bad guys. Everyone has their moments to shine.

Bashir is a cheeky sod the first couple of years, but then after that plot twist regarding his upbringing he just becomes ridiculously up himself.

Perhaps, but I think he gets some of the strongest lines and episodes towards the end of the run and as Star Trek Doctors go I think he is one of the better ones.

Hippocractic Oath, Our Man Bashir, The Quickening, By Inferno's Light, Statistical Probabilities, Inquisition and Inter Arma all being good examples of how far he progresses from the start of the series.

Plus he gets some of the best dramatic lines in the series, imo.

Bashir

: "We've received word of the Seventh Fleet."

Sisko

: "Go on."

Bashir: "Only fourteen ships made it back to our lines."

Martok

: "Fourteen... out of a hundred and twelve!"

Bashir: We can't keep taking these kinds of losses, sir, not if we expect to win this.

Admiral Ross: Inter arma enim silent leges.

Dr. Julian Bashir: "In time of war, the law falls silent." Cicero. So, is that what we have become - a 24th century Rome, driven by nothing other than the certainty that Caesar can do no wrong?

He and Garak really seemed to fancy each other, the perverts.

Fucking spoilers, so difficult to not click them! Hopefully going to start watching season two tonight.

Fucking spoilers, so difficult to not click them! Hopefully going to start watching season two tonight.

You should enjoy the opening episodes!

First three episodes of season two were excellent, Kira and Sisqo have had (some) acting lessons!

First three episodes of season two were excellent, Kira and Sisqo have had (some) acting lessons!

Benjamin-Sisko-Deep-Space-Nine.jpg

Sisko - Emissary of the Prophets, Defender of the Alpha Quadrant, Badass

Sisq%C3%B3_Thong_Song.jpg

Sisqo - "Artist", Wrote the Thong Song.

:D

Glad to see you liked the first 3 of S2. That's an indicator of the stuff to come :)

When shit gets real, Adama shaves his moustache.

Sisko shaves his head.