Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RFT

Rllmuk Historic Series Season 2

85 posts in this topic

Great work, RFT. I'll be there from the start this time for both championships. Looking forward it.

OnyxLight Racing have been out testing. I think I know the car I want for the touring cars, although at the risk of getting myself into the same predicament I was with the BMW.

Both here.

Intrigued to see how the A Class Volvo does - I've tuned one in FM3 to class B and will be surprised if it can match the BMWs, but intrigued to give it a go...

And I'm assuming 'Mandatory Roll Cage' means the full race spec one?

Full roll cage yeah. Played with the Volvo a bit, it's not bad you know, plenty of PI headroom for using different upgrades. The Aston is too compromised I think. I'm half tempted to go with one of the ridiculous Firebirds

Well I sorted out a couple of cars for each class. And each time, the one I preferred driving and thought would be best was about a second slower than the other.

It turns out I may not know much about cars... *sigh*

Full roll cage yeah. Played with the Volvo a bit, it's not bad you know, plenty of PI headroom for using different upgrades. The Aston is too compromised I think. I'm half tempted to go with one of the ridiculous Firebirds

Yes, the Aston is very tight to get in. Which is a shame as it looks awesome.

Next weeks DLC will add 3 eligible new cars.

The 73 Ford Pinto

The 85 dodge omni

And the 1970 Alfa montreal. (I'm allowing this in, despite being out of the date range becuase it looks awesome in a totally 70s way and it seems a shame that it missed season 1)

In terms of entries, thanks for the interest so far. What would be good is if everyone could PM me with thier 1st and 2nd choice of championship. These choices will come in to play if we get more than 16 entries.

Group A touring track suggestion...(based on world TC events) ?

Hockenheim (Ger)

Silverstone (GB)

Suzuka (Jap)

Mugello (Ita)

Le Mans (Fra)

Road America (Bra)

Iberia Full (Por)

Group A touring track suggestion...(based on world TC events) ?

Hockenheim (Ger)

Silverstone (GB)

Suzuka (Jap)

Mugello (Ita)

Le Mans (Fra)

Road America (Bra)

Iberia Full (Por)

Sounds good, except for Iberia, which is a frankly pony track imho...

Also too many - we're only doing 5 rounds.

Why not lose Iberia, and possibly Le Mans (It's likely to favour horsepower too much), and just do the rest?

yeah, I wouldn't be keen on running LM. It's a shame they dropped the Bugatti circuit because I really liked that.

I've had a few test laps around Suzuka in the 190E, Cosworth, E30 M3 and Volvo.

So far I'm prefering the 190E, my time was marginally faster in the Cosworth, but I was pushing the car too hard, had a dirty lap and I just didn't feel as confident in it. Going to test a couple of others round Suzuka and may try them on a couple of other circuits.

Argh! posting on my phone. accidentally negged beezerly. can someone rectify that please?

Badger, what are the base PIs for the Pinto, Omni, and Alfa?

Only tuned and tried a turbocharged E30 M3 in Group A-spec, but it was quite a handful. Might need to do some actual tuning (adjusting of sliders) to make it work.

Then again, the total lack of aerodynamics makes it hard, too. Did you disallow those on purpose, RFT?

Yes, for historical accuracy/aesthetics

The FIA group A regulations forbade aerodynamic modifications to the homologated road car. This is why the Homologation-special road cars that it gave rise to had those awesome wings (Sierra, 190e, etc).

To an extent it acts as a limit on power, you can't just load horsepower and downforce onto the thing, you'll have to back off the power and pump up those rear tyre widths.

(I'll concede that allowing turbocharging cars that start as NA isn't strictly group A regs, but that's more out-of-sight out-of-mind.)

the whole idea is to get a grid that looks like this:

tn_touring1-L.jpg

Note stock bodyshells, no wings, and Fat tyres. also 80's alloys.

Having those cars with carbon splitters and modern wings just wouldn't be right :-).

And with that photo, I'm going to have to let the Celica Supra and Starion in. didn't realise they'd actually raced in the BTCC in the 80s. Oh what I'd give for a Rover SD1 or an XJS.

Anyway, so far. I've had more success making the longer-wheelbase cars work than the shorter ones. (the AE86 is a total drift-fest right now). I have done an E30 (though I think I left it as as NA) which I don't think was too bad. It's not in final tune, (It's at the "built and a bit tweaked" stage) but it was nice and drivable - I'm happy to share the tune with you if you want. a quick fix might be to toe-in your rear wheels.

That should add stability on the power.

I've had a few test laps around Suzuka in the 190E, Cosworth, E30 M3 and Volvo.

So far I'm prefering the 190E, my time was marginally faster in the Cosworth, but I was pushing the car too hard, had a dirty lap and I just didn't feel as confident in it. Going to test a couple of others round Suzuka and may try them on a couple of other circuits.

The rules encourage teammates, looking for some 190E help? That's my preference too.

It does?

I'm more than happy to share tunes/tips with people anyway :)

yes, if enough people team up, we'll do a teams championship in addition to the individual standings.

I'm just putting the final schedule together.

To give a bit more time for testing and gathering entries, the start date's moved back a bit and I've put in a couple of "test" nights before the season starts.

09/01/2012 Season 1 End

16/01/2012

23/01/2012 RS Test night Various tracks

30/01/2012 Grp A Test Various tracks

06/02/2012 Entry deadline for Full-season guaranteed entries.

13/02/2012 RS Rnd 1 & 2

20/02/2012 Grp A Round 1 & 2.