32 replies to this topic

#1 sidewaysbob

sidewaysbob
  • Members
  • 13267 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:21 AM

Right so i found this site on the interweb

www.photos4me.com

Where you can upload your photos to sell. They organise all the frames and mount and stuff, all you have to do is upload pictures up to 20meg in size and set the commision you want.

Since September i've sold 4 pictures and have receieved my first pay check via paypal today.

Some one actually paid for my pictures, and not just one, there are now 3 more sales pending.
Pictures of sportscar racing are pretty niche so i'm impressed that anyone has bought anything.

Yay for me, i've sold some photos and not even to my friends and family, proper people i've never met before.

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside now, i'm a propper photgrapher. :D

#2 Agent L

Agent L
  • Members
  • 2175 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:34 AM

It's always a nice feeling when you make your first money isn't it.

Got any more details? Do they QC the images? What's the upload process like? Have you seen a sample of the printed images? What sort of commission are you making? You say you set the commission but how does that work?

#3 jeebus

jeebus
  • Members
  • 21185 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:58 AM

I'm on there too, along with several people from my camera club. So far I'm the only one not to have sold anything! Bob, I'd seen your photos on there but not realised they were yours!!

Here's my page on there: http://www.photo4me.com/neal73

#4 sidewaysbob

sidewaysbob
  • Members
  • 13267 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:15 PM

It's always a nice feeling when you make your first money isn't it.

Got any more details? Do they QC the images? What's the upload process like? Have you seen a sample of the printed images? What sort of commission are you making? You say you set the commission but how does that work?

The only QC they seem to do is "nothing offensive and it shouldn't have stuff like bit white skies and over exposed faces" ultimately though it appears to be a case of "if it don't sell, the market doesn't want it".

Uploading is just picking a file from your hard drive and pressing go. I try to get my pictures to about 19.6mb in Tiff format, you have to state that you own the copy right to the image and agree to have it vetted by "them" before its put on the site then you upload. 19mb takes about 10 minutes on my connection and there's a 3 pictures in 24 hour limit, or until they've all been vetted.

I've not seen a sample but he seems to be using a professional printing service, not a plan plotter out the back, judging from the volume they're shifting. There are a range of printing options from straight gloss print to canvas box print. Everything you'd expect these days.

Commission seems to be up to you there is a range of choices. I've gone for a flat 20 on all my prints regardless of the print. So I've got a couple of canvas prints for 123 and a straight print for 50 waiting to be sent out. I get 20 of those sales. You can got for a % of the total price but i wasn't sure I'd sell anything so i went with a flat fee. It bumps the price a touch but people are willing to pay that for a canvas print it would seem.

Its really easy to do, they do the printing, you just have to get the picture you think people will buy and then get the world to look at your pictures.

I take pictures of things moving which is a bit niche, there are some excellent pictures of landscapes that i can't hope to match so i stick to what i know I'm good at.

#5 Agent L

Agent L
  • Members
  • 2175 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:17 PM

The only QC they seem to do is "nothing offensive and it shouldn't have stuff like bit white skies and over exposed faces" ultimately though it appears to be a case of "if it don't sell, the market doesn't want it".

Uploading is just picking a file from your hard drive and pressing go. I try to get my pictures to about 19.6mb in Tiff format, you have to state that you own the copy right to the image and agree to have it vetted by "them" before its put on the site then you upload. 19mb takes about 10 minutes on my connection and there's a 3 pictures in 24 hour limit, or until they've all been vetted.

I've not seen a sample but he seems to be using a professional printing service, not a plan plotter out the back, judging from the volume they're shifting. There are a range of printing options from straight gloss print to canvas box print. Everything you'd expect these days.

Commission seems to be up to you there is a range of choices. I've gone for a flat £20 on all my prints regardless of the print. So I've got a couple of canvas prints for £123 and a straight print for £50 waiting to be sent out. I get £20 of those sales. You can got for a % of the total price but i wasn't sure I'd sell anything so i went with a flat fee. It bumps the price a touch but people are willing to pay that for a canvas print it would seem.

Its really easy to do, they do the printing, you just have to get the picture you think people will buy and then get the world to look at your pictures.

I take pictures of things moving which is a bit niche, there are some excellent pictures of landscapes that i can't hope to match so i stick to what i know I'm good at.

Cheers buddy. I'm going to sign up and get my library on there, I don't really take much any more but have plenty old stock I'd like to be earning me money.

A few more points though. I take it they don't care for model/property releases? EDIT - seen the tick box for model release now. What about tagging photos, does it pay to add lots of tags or do they limit the amount? Do they have any claim to your images (could they sell them on etc)? And finally, are they really shifting that many units, you said you'd sold 4 pictures, yet 2 of your images were on the first page of the 'most popular' and one of them was repeated!

I'm not trying to find holes in it as it clearly works as you've been paid. Just like to know what I'm getting in to. I put loads of hours in to Alamy a couple of years ago for no benefit so don't want to do the same here.

#6 sidewaysbob

sidewaysbob
  • Members
  • 13267 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:21 AM

You have to give each picture a title, description, 3 key words and a minimum of 7 tags. Obvioulsy the more information and tags you add the better. I've not seen anything to suggest there is a limit to the tags.

I don't think they have a claim to you image on the grounds that you assert your rights to the image when you upload, I've not seen any requests for Marketing other than the front "popular" page and on the grounds i've been paid for at least one of my pictures i'm happy with the arrangements. Most of my images are already platered around the Web on the usual sites, they do ask that you don't list images on competators sites but i don't know how they enforce it. You can watermark the images when you upload them if you like. I'm not too sure who they would sell them on to after all all promotin is good promotion

I get the impression that he's shifty quite a few units, the "total money paid out each month" figure is high and i'm getting plenty of comercial hits, without too much marketing on my part.

I joined as a bit of punt as it ment i didn't have to pay for web space build a site and monatize it. Yes i take less of a commission, but some one else gets the printing done and collects the money. I don't have the time or the knowledge to do that myself and the web is full of sites selling pictures. So to me it makes sence to test the water with an establised site. once i've got a portfolio of sold pictures i'll try taking it to someone like LAT and try for some commissioned work.

I did feel there was anythign to lose by uploading and seeing waht happened, so 80 for some pictures i took anyway is a bonus as far as i'm concerned.

#7 Agent L

Agent L
  • Members
  • 2175 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:36 PM

Just adding my first shots. All seems pretty straightforward but what's the 'Poster Price' on the initial details screen?

#8 Agent L

Agent L
  • Members
  • 2175 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:47 PM

Don't worry, I've worked it all out now. Going to give percentage pricing with a floor and a CAP a go. Once my images get approved I'll see what the fees are and if I need to have a play around with the percentages or move to flat fee.

#9 The-Pope-Smokes-Dope!

The-Pope-Smokes-Dope!
  • Supporters
  • 11932 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:56 PM

Just added some myself... let's see what happens!!

I just went with a flat fee of 14.99 no idea if that's right or not...

#10 Agent L

Agent L
  • Members
  • 2175 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:46 AM

Right, here I am:
http://www.photo4me.com/alastair

Uploading more every day.

Does anyone know what the significance of the little coloured camera icon under each image is? Some are grey, some yellow, green, red and I've seen black too.

#11 The-Pope-Smokes-Dope!

The-Pope-Smokes-Dope!
  • Supporters
  • 11932 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:46 PM

Right, here I am:
http://www.photo4me.com/alastair

Uploading more every day.

Does anyone know what the significance of the little coloured camera icon under each image is? Some are grey, some yellow, green, red and I've seen black too.

Shows how many hits/comments you've had... i've got 3 pictures on their front page at the mo :)

/keety for my 9....

It's bit of an odd site really... I can see some stuff that will sell, but some of the pictures on there are pretty poor, I think the site could be miles better if they sorted out the chaff somewhat...

#12 Salsa Party Animal

Salsa Party Animal
  • Members
  • 19702 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:45 PM

When I upgrade my camera and get used to it. I will give it a go. But will there be money to be made from selling photo of people dancing ? and holiday/tourist landmark.

#13 The-Pope-Smokes-Dope!

The-Pope-Smokes-Dope!
  • Supporters
  • 11932 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:56 PM

When I upgrade my camera and get used to it. I will give it a go. But will there be money to be made from selling photo of people dancing ? and holiday/tourist landmark.

honestly? probably not.... but you never know...

I would think, that if you felt you had a good enough portfolio, printing them out yourself and going to an art market and selling there you'd sell loads more.....

#14 jeebus

jeebus
  • Members
  • 21185 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:45 AM

You'd need model release forms for any people in your photos. And they'd need to be bloody good photos of tourist landmarks to compete with what's already out there.

But give it a go, you've got nothing to lose from it.

#15 rundll

rundll
  • Members
  • 2676 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:48 PM

Tried putting one up. Will see what happens. I've always felt a bit off about selling prints on sites, but well. Here ya go.

http://www.photo4me....ictureID=140410

#16 sidewaysbob

sidewaysbob
  • Members
  • 13267 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:13 AM

Good Luck :)

#17 rundll

rundll
  • Members
  • 2676 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:56 AM

Tah Bob!

I've got lots of comments, but predictably no sales. The top sellers only have 4-5 sales (for last 30 days?), so I'm not expecting anything.

#18 The-Pope-Smokes-Dope!

The-Pope-Smokes-Dope!
  • Supporters
  • 11932 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:50 PM

You're in Oxford?? I always thought your pictures were taken in Edinburgh or soemthing!

I get the feeling a lot of stuff that sells is from google searches (i.e yorkshire terrier canvas print).. I don't think many come from actual peopel browsing the site and going "oh, that looks nice, i'll buy that"... and some are from people buying prints of their own stuff....

The amount of shit on there though is slightly depressing....

#19 rundll

rundll
  • Members
  • 2676 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:55 PM

Yus. Snowed a lot the last few years. But nothing this winter...

I realised that the link I posted previously would only work for logged in members. Here's the public link : http://www.photo4me....ictureID=140410

#20 rundll

rundll
  • Members
  • 2676 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:57 PM

Yeh what sells is likely to have more to do with external promotion.

#21 sidewaysbob

sidewaysbob
  • Members
  • 13267 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:27 PM

I think that's where Facebook and twitter come. I've been spamming all the motoracing types i can find on facebook. You have to get the eyes to come to your page, you can't rely on people browsing.

#22 Rev

Rev
  • Members
  • 24407 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:27 PM

I looked at it properly the other day but I decided it was just too amateurish to associate myself with*. The majority of the pictures are cack** (compare the average standard of there to the pictures thread here and the ones for sale don't come close), there are strict rules that model releases are needed for any people when they wouldn't be under UK law, whilst there are loads of pictures that need a property release under UK law that are allowed on. The bloke who runs it is clearly massively out of his depth and the forum is a cliquey mess filled with people that don't know what they're talking about***. There are no assurances about print quality (there are no recommendations for colour profiles either) which makes me assume they get it from whoever is cheapest at the time. And the pricing seems a bit odd. And there doesn't seem to be any evidence that they're selling many pictures - 3k paid out to members in the last 30 days (ie. the run up to Christmas) sounds fairly pathetic from 80000 images and I don't see that number going up much without a big push.

Admittedly it's better suited to the sort of pictures monsier sidewaysbob has, ones with fans of the subject matter willing to spend money, but even with those I can't help but think it wouldn't be better to have your own store set-up (on something like goodsie) and selling/organising printing directly without them getting a cut if it's your promotion getting the sales rather than their site.

For now at least, I'm out.

*I'm aware this sounds really snobby.
**And this.
***And this. But I'm not particularly repentant about it - making money from photography is difficult and I don't want to do anything that could at all put future money at risk just for the vague off-chance I'd sell a couple of prints now. There are loads of pictures on there better than any I've taken, but I'd rather be more protective of mine until I see a really good opportunity for them.

#23 Agent L

Agent L
  • Members
  • 2175 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:39 PM

I'm with you on the amateur comments Rev. There's something that doesn't quite feel right on the site but as I'm sitting at work serving out a 12 week notice period then I'm happy to waste time uploading 3 a day and leaving them there to see if anything sells. They aren't making me money anywhere else and my attempt at using Alamy was even more frustrating.

One thing that's got me annoyed though was that I had two images declined for having a 'copyrighted' feature (one was star wars lego). However, the owner of the site has a pic approved with lego in it. It's the same thing but seems different rules being applied.

#24 rundll

rundll
  • Members
  • 2676 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:59 PM

Yeah I basically agree with Rev.

If there was a market for it I would sell prints out of my own home. Using the best large format printer I could afford on the lushest paper, with all the time to proof prints that I send out for tonal qualities. Which is certainly how I would want to go about printing for an exhibition. But all that proofing and framing would be costly.

#25 Rev

Rev
  • Members
  • 24407 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:08 PM

I'm with you on the amateur comments Rev. There's something that doesn't quite feel right on the site but as I'm sitting at work serving out a 12 week notice period then I'm happy to waste time uploading 3 a day and leaving them there to see if anything sells. They aren't making me money anywhere else and my attempt at using Alamy was even more frustrating.

One thing that's got me annoyed though was that I had two images declined for having a 'copyrighted' feature (one was star wars lego). However, the owner of the site has a pic approved with lego in it. It's the same thing but seems different rules being applied.

Fair enough. The copyright thing is decided by users isn't it? That would explain the double standards.

Alamy is a different kettle of fish entirely for me - I've not actually done much with it, but what I have has been fine. And I use them a lot in my day job now - I'd guess this year it'll be at least a few hundred and they've been great from that side of things. What problems have you had with them? I'm not sure if it's actually going to happen, but the CEO is meant to be coming to have a meeting with me at some point and I think he'd appreciate knowing anything particularly vexsome - certainly in past meetings he's had with the whole company he's taken plenty of notes about stuff and it's been changed.

#26 Agent L

Agent L
  • Members
  • 2175 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

It's purely from my own work-flow point of view that I never stuck with Alamy. Getting the shots to the exacting right format and size (mb) was taking far too much time. Had I been getting paid to do that as a job it'd be fine but as it's was all prospective, and I'm under no illusion about having the best library of images ever, then I decided it wasn't worth the time it was taking.

Been a couple of years since I've even logged in to the site now so I've got no complaints there as I've no idea what it's like now.

#27 Rev

Rev
  • Members
  • 24407 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:43 PM

It's purely from my own work-flow point of view that I never stuck with Alamy. Getting the shots to the exacting right format and size (mb) was taking far too much time. Had I been getting paid to do that as a job it'd be fine but as it's was all prospective, and I'm under no illusion about having the best library of images ever, then I decided it wasn't worth the time it was taking.

Been a couple of years since I've even logged in to the site now so I've got no complaints there as I've no idea what it's like now.

Tagging takes too long, but that's more important than the pictures so I don't mind that really. But all my pictures are above the size requirements anyway unless I've cropped massively.

I'd look at it again if you've got spare time - I'd bet in 2 years they'll be the biggest/most used picture library in the world. They're already pissing on places like Corbis from quite a height, Getty is their only real challenge.

#28 The-Pope-Smokes-Dope!

The-Pope-Smokes-Dope!
  • Supporters
  • 11932 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:33 PM

My own opinion, is that if you want to make cash out of this, the best way is to build up a good amount of saleable pictures and sell them to local art shop/art fairs/markets and exhibitions. I saw some guy, park up his camper van in west bay in Dorset last year, he had a good selection of quality photos, in different sizes, and he started selling as soon as he started and kept going all day... Prices were from 40 quid onwards...

Regarding p4m... The forum is quality... I've never come across so many delusional nut jobs ever... Some guy seems to think his picture of a swans head is going on the cover of national geographic..

#29 Rev

Rev
  • Members
  • 24407 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:19 PM

My own opinion, is that if you want to make cash out of this, the best way is to build up a good amount of saleable pictures and sell them to local art shop/art fairs/markets and exhibitions. I saw some guy, park up his camper van in west bay in Dorset last year, he had a good selection of quality photos, in different sizes, and he started selling as soon as he started and kept going all day... Prices were from 40 quid onwards...

Regarding p4m... The forum is quality... I've never come across so many delusional nut jobs ever... Some guy seems to think his picture of a swans head is going on the cover of national geographic..

I've put doing a craft fair type thing on my aims for the year. Hoping for a bit of snow to take some local wintery stuff to sell on the run up to Christmas as well as general landmark stuff and a couple of books. Dunno how it'll go, but there are worse ways to spend a Sunday.

The forum is rather entertaining, it has to be said.

#30 Agent L

Agent L
  • Members
  • 2175 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:55 PM

Had my first sale on there today. Anyone else had any luck since we were discussing it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users