In Memoriam

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Ed-E

Ed-E
  • Members
  • 10730 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 04:25 PM

After seeing it somewhere, and then recently in the latest Edge, I decided to go and buy it this weekend.

It's absolutely fucking amazing.

Firstly - it's gorgeous. The developers have an extreme mastery of Shockwave and graphical design - It looks a little bit like the (excellent) Donnie Darko website. It manages to be engrossing and, at times, a little unsettling all at once. Fab fab fab.

Secondly, the FMV acting is actually pretty good. I feared that it would be shit, but it really isn't - the actors are pretty good (yeah, they won't win an Oscar, but relative to other game acting they're great) and the gradually unfolding mystery is damn interesting. I'm not too far through it (currently on the 2nd tier of the Initiate, i.e the third "hub") but it's certainly got me damn interested.

The whole internet research thing works a treat, too. I have, on more that one occasion, had to think as to whether the website I'm reading is fictional or not. It really is incredibly hard to tell - these are some expertly designed websites. Some of them, when pretending to be webpages, even look properly cheesy, with animated gifs and everything, whereas the arty websites are suitably stylish. It's nice to be able to enter a character's name and get their personal website - it really adds to the autenticity of the game. You also get sent e-mails from the agency you're working for and other people working on the case. Suffice to say I seriously got fooled yesterday when I believed two people were really talking to each other. It's so engrossing things like that really happen.

As for the puzzles, some of them really make you think and make use of the 'net. There's also a video analyzer which is extremely clever - you get this piece of shitty-quality video and you can pause it on any frame and get a super-enhanced picture from it to analyze. It's really impressive and certainly feels like those image analyzers you see in the movies and stuff. I still can't work out how they do it. Some of the puzzles are more arcadey in nature - one, so far, has seriously grated but that's not very frequent.

Suffice to say, this is a superbly crafted game which everyone should at least try, and is a perfect game for those people not really into gaming as such, because it doesn't require complex controls - simply working knowledge of the internet and an inquisitive mind.

8/10

#2 Ed-E

Ed-E
  • Members
  • 10730 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 05:24 PM

Update : It's only 14.99 in the Amazon sale. You'd be VERY silly not to take it up at that price, it's a stunner.

Go. Now. OK?

#3 jtorry

jtorry
  • Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 01:50 AM

Is there a fee required to play this game after the initial purchase? Is this anything like the hundreds of online clue solving games where they give you very little and you have to enter a code to progress? I am rubbish at that kind of thing, so basically I am asking if it is worth a dumb ass buying it?

#4 Ed-E

Ed-E
  • Members
  • 10730 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 03:04 AM

Is there a fee required to play this game after the initial purchase? Is this anything like the hundreds of online clue solving games where they give you very little and you have to enter a code to progress? I am rubbish at that kind of thing, so basically I am asking if it is worth a dumb ass buying it?

No, there is no fee to play it.

Basically, you have to be online to play it... so if you spend ages on a puzzle, the game e-mails you with clues or answers. So basically, yes, a dumb ass would not have the slightest problem with it (and I should know, I suck at puzzle games!)

#5 jtorry

jtorry
  • Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 10:23 AM

Thanks for the info. I will keep an eye out for this today. It seems like a game that will soon be 10 in most places. Can't see it selling that well.

#6 Beertiger

Beertiger
  • Members
  • 20611 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 06:56 PM

yes. i read the review in Edge and knew i needed this game, thanks for the amazon heads up. ordering now.

#7 biglime

biglime
  • Members
  • 14731 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 03:17 AM

Just wanted to nod my head.

This is one of the most outstanding games in years. It's beautiful.

#8 Paradigm

Paradigm
  • Members
  • 29007 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 10:52 PM

Had it recommended to me a while ago and bought it via amazon. Fantastic game, certainly a break from my usual gaming habits. I made a point of only playing it after midnight with the lights out, and boy did it create a unique atmosphere.

Just the little touches such as your 'nemesis', so to speak, quitting the program when you don't obey the rules really makes you gasp with sheer delight and awe. The music in a few sections was really eerie too, and some of the videos were quite freaky.

Highly, highly recommended.

#9 Napole0n

Napole0n
  • Supporters
  • 66092 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 08:37 PM

A 'casual gamer' friend of mine wasn't particularly fond of it, even though he liked the ideas he said the skill-based puzzlethings just didn't work. Any opinion on that?

#10 Paradigm

Paradigm
  • Members
  • 29007 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 09:30 PM

i.e. he couldn't do them.

All of the puzzles are entirely logical. If you get stuck on one for a long time you'll probably hit yourself when you realise how it's done.

#11 Loony Jetman

Loony Jetman
  • Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 10:05 PM

Doesn't seem to be in the Amazon sale. :rolleyes:

#12 Napole0n

Napole0n
  • Supporters
  • 66092 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 10:06 AM

i.e. he couldn't do them.

All of the puzzles are entirely logical. If you get stuck on one for a long time you'll probably hit yourself when you realise how it's done.

It wasn't that. He said the puzzles/games just seemed tacked on to keep you busy, instead of contributing to the story/drama/exploration (which he DID like, especially the online stuff)

#13 Loony Jetman

Loony Jetman
  • Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 01:37 PM

Has anyone played this on a Mac?

Apparently it's a bit ropey - OS8.6, etc. - will it run in Classic on Jaguar/Panther?

LJ

#14 northy

northy
  • Members
  • 3602 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 05:30 PM

9.99 on Play for anyone who hasn't bought this yet.

#15 footle

footle
  • Members
  • 19117 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 08:11 PM

Just bought and loaded it up.

It's *so* different...

#16 Juria

Juria
  • Members
  • 7999 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 08:47 PM

Why isn't Laine bigging up this game? She should get it and feel like a part of SG6 or the CIA :)

#17 George Clooney

George Clooney
  • Supporters
  • 5898 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 03:57 PM

Why isn't Laine bigging up this game? She should get it and feel like a part of SG6 or the CIA ;)

SD6!!!

And I think her PC isnt that great, so she doesnt play many PC games.

I've been looking at this for a while. May have to finally take the plunge now.

#18 tyagi

tyagi
  • Members
  • 5031 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 09:36 PM

Has anyone played this on a Mac?

Apparently it's a bit ropey - OS8.6, etc. - will it run in Classic on Jaguar/Panther?

LJ

I've run it on OSX 10.3.something and it works OK in Classic mode. There's something that doesn't feel quite right though and when I do get round to playing it, it'll be on the PC.

#19 footle

footle
  • Members
  • 19117 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 10:04 PM

Just remember the -memoriam switch when using google :(

#20 Yiggy

Yiggy
  • Members
  • 12673 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 12:23 PM

Does this game have a finite life ie is it still playable now?

Are all the websites still there and everything? I am defo gonna get it this month.

#21 footle

footle
  • Members
  • 19117 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 05:12 PM

Does this game have a finite life ie is it still playable now?

Are all the websites still there and everything? I am defo gonna get it this month.

Yes - just do the above because otherwise you end up with loads of FAQ files.

#22 George Clooney

George Clooney
  • Supporters
  • 5898 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 07:18 PM

Finally took the plunge today, seeing as it's 9.99 in the game reward card sale.

I'm VERY impressed so far.

It's wonderfully atmospheric, from the little messages that the killer sends you, to the e-mails from other "people" working on the case. The puzzles have mostly been good (I think I know the one that grated with Ed), and the story has gotten me interested already.

#23 Tiki

Tiki
  • Members
  • 5964 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 10:27 AM

It wasn't that. He said the puzzles/games just seemed tacked on to keep you busy, instead of contributing to the story/drama/exploration (which he DID like, especially the online stuff)

Just how 'casual' was he; that seems a particularly astute comment for one of those schmucks.

#24 Old Dear's Menu

Old Dear's Menu
  • Members
  • 2639 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 09:53 PM

PC Zone said this game was great... Think I'll check it out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users