Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dumpster

Deadly Premonition

13 posts in this topic

Good review. I must admit though, I've found the game tough going since I got it for Christmas last year. I know there's loads to do from reading people's impressions, but I feel pressured to follow the main story, so I haven't actually indulged any side quests as of yet. What makes that slightly more frustrating than other games (Yakuza is the best example that springs to mind) is that the game hasn't even hinted at the possibility of side quests yet.

The other, slightly annoying thing is the sound mix. I play single-player stuff with headphones and it's really noticable how the voices are drowned out by music. So yeah, I've yet to really enjoy the game outside of a survival horror context.

Brilliant game. I started it last October and finished it this April, it's hard work to play but the rewards are more than worth it. Great music as well - all my thoughts are in the original thread but yeah, nice review for a classic game :)

The side quests can be really good fun, but they are not mentioned in the narrative of the game, or even the instruction manual.

For example, if you go to the nightclub, SWERY65, you'll find the side quest to play darts. It's a really good darts game and a lot of fun. But you could complete the whole game without ever even entering the nightclub. Also, most characters have multiple side quests, and often you are awarded some decent upgrades by completing them. For example, if you complete George's sidequests early on, you get a police radio that allows you to warp instantly to any location you previously visited. Also If you meet the guy behind the counter at the milk bar, he'll give you a side quest that can earn you an infinite machine gun. These 2 items together allow you to skip the long driving sequences and play through the shooting sections a lot more quickly. Buy you could probably play through the entire game not realising that the game even has side quests. I think it's reasons like that the some reviews say 3/10, others mark it up to 10/10. You really need to be told this is a great game, because that first evening's play gives no indication of how wonderful it is going to become.

Agreed - it's a great game. Although skipping the long driving sequences should be avoided because the chat in the car is special.

Agreed - it's a great game. Although skipping the long driving sequences should be avoided because the chat in the car is special.

Yeah, but York had a limited number of conversations. I did my first playthrough without the radio, which I didn't even know existed until looking at a FAQ after beating the game. Having recently gone back to grab the trading card achievement, I know I'll make it a point to get the radio on my next playthrough. Commuting wouldn't be so bad if the car didn't burn through gas so ridiculously quick.

Jeez what were they thinking with the opening section? It looks ugly as sin and adds zero to the experience. I barely made it 10 minutes in before I started thinking I should just cut and run. Just glad I knew it was going to be different otherwise I'd have missed out.

I was looking at this today on e-bay although the Jap version instead which is known as Red Seeds. I think you need to get that version for the PS3 as DP isn't actually on it, however I also learned that there's a new one either out or about to come out or something which adds some updates to the original including PS3 Move features. I'd read about the wildly varying scores that this title was critically recieved from very low to very high. It had gotten me intreagued and as I still frequently play the PS2, I may be alright as far as the graphics go, so might just pick it up sometime.

I wanted to like this game, I really did. But it rubbed shit into my eyes at every turn, worst gameplay ever. I got about half way through it, before realizing life was too short. I'm never gonna play a game that is no fun to play ever again.

Surely it can't be as bad as Alone in the Dark Inferno, please tell me it's better than that shit.

I'm hoping to see it for a tenner somewhere at some point. Had it from lovefilm and played the first few chapters. My feelings ran from hatred to pure bliss.

Stragely enough I got this same feel that i'd expect to get from this game after seeing the disaster tile SOS on the PS2 recently. It looked absolutely shite in some ways, but while I was working as a catering assistant moving a trolly around posh folk and getting told off for being slow, it felt like "shit its gonna kick off soon, there's leaks and shit everywhere and no one has noticed" and reminded me of the Final Destination films. I didn't watch much else and instantly wanted the game and still do. I'm assuming that this game has that same sort of intreague about it.

Rewritten it and corrected a load of spelling and grammar issues. Played through it a second time recently and it's still as good as ever. Got more out of it having played it through before, managed to speed through the stuff I didn't like and linger longer in the good stuff.