Forza 4 Weekly Time Trial Season 2 : F50 @ Infineon NASCAR

• Please log in to reply
269 replies to this topic

#151 morcs

morcs
  • Supporters
  • 13980 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:39 AM

Yeah I don't quite understand how you're carrying so much speed through the hammerhead, that's where I lose it all :)

#152 Cheeko

Cheeko
  • Members
  • 5675 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:44 PM

Watching the replays, even switching to game cameras and putting the telemetary on it still doesn't convey what the person is doing does it. I watch the faster replays over and over and think 'it doesn't look much different to what I'm doing' but the time will be 2 seconds faster or something.

I wish there was a training mode where you could press a button and set an 'in marker' then wherever you are you press another button and it just puts you back to that marker, so you could just set one on the lead up to a corner and then just keep resetting and trying the corner over and over again to hopefully, eventually, assemble the perfect lap.

Instead you just screw it up somehow and then have to go all the way around to do it again, and you want to take the opportunity to perfect the later corners but if you go off you dirty the whole of the next lap before you've even started it, so if you do get an amazing run, it's all for nothing.

#153 morcs

morcs
  • Supporters
  • 13980 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:35 PM

Instead you just screw it up somehow and then have to go all the way around to do it again, and you want to take the opportunity to perfect the later corners but if you go off you dirty the whole of the next lap before you've even started it, so if you do get an amazing run, it's all for nothing.

Turn rewind on dude, if you rewind before you cross the finish it won't dirty your next lap, which is well thought out by the devs I think, as it doesn't give an unfair advantage.

#154 Cheeko

Cheeko
  • Members
  • 5675 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

:facepalm:

Didn't even know that was possible.

#155 exwhyzed

exwhyzed
  • Members
  • 5962 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:26 PM

hate it when a car understeers when you get on the power. 2nd to last turn is such a pain to get right.

#156 exwhyzed

exwhyzed
  • Members
  • 5962 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:05 PM

exwhyzee : None : P : 1:21.371

#157 Cheeko

Cheeko
  • Members
  • 5675 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:57 AM

When I saw your name on the thread I though, here we go, what's the top time now, 1:21.371! Mother hubbard! Mucho respect, I'll be checking out your replay this evening.

#158 morcs

morcs
  • Supporters
  • 13980 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:02 AM

The worst thing about XYZ is you can't say "yeah but he uses a wheel". :ph34r:

I assume it's manual clutch though? I noticed Cheeko uses auto like I do.

#159 Meerman

Meerman
  • Members
  • 23785 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:11 PM

Most of the top club times are manual clutch ones.

There you go then - manual clutch is faster this time around as well! :P

Apart from me, I'm shockingly bad at time trialling.

#160 toythatkills

toythatkills
  • Members
  • 10892 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:26 PM

toythatkills : A : P : 1.26.952

#161 morcs

morcs
  • Supporters
  • 13980 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:29 PM

Most of the top club times are manual clutch ones.

There you go then - manual clutch is faster this time around as well! :P

Apart from me, I'm shockingly bad at time trialling.

You're using a gated shifter though I think? I was always a fair bit slower using that, even with manual clutch.

#162 Meerman

Meerman
  • Members
  • 23785 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:03 PM

Yeah h-pattern 7-speed shifter I think it's called. I can switch to the flappy pedals whenever I want during a race though if I find the car doesn't have a stick shift (such as the Italia). Driving cars like the Shelby Cobra feels really satisfying with the stick shift.

#163 Cheeko

Cheeko
  • Members
  • 5675 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:47 PM

So.... I can't see xyz's time in the track leaderboards...

I'm not just looking in the club either, I've scrolled down the top scores list and it's not there, any ideas?

Edit: to save everyone loads of scrolling
Posted Image

#164 Boozy The Clown

Boozy The Clown
  • Members
  • 12220 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:10 PM

Before we get all serious and start throwing accusations around, he's probably given the wrong time and he's actually faster, so my advice would be to leave it. I've never had a case of anyone deliberately being devious in any form in all the time trials I've run and I don't expect such a thing to take place now.

He really is quick, always has been. He's just one of those people who's naturally very good at racing games, for all I know he could be Nigel Mansell or something.

His GT isn't exyzee either it's something like "ImverygoodRU" or something.

Either way I don't doubt his time for a minute and he's probably went quicker in a faster car in the class, which would explain the lack of a time under the one he's posted here.

Anyone fancy some races ?

#165 exwhyzed

exwhyzed
  • Members
  • 5962 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:30 PM

I'm Chillyman (don't ask :lol:)

The leaderboards get messed up when scrolling through loads of names as well, notice it says I used the SuperBee but PI is 430.

#166 Cheeko

Cheeko
  • Members
  • 5675 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:24 PM

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't being accusational, I was genuinely asking how to get the time.

cheeko : None : P : 1:23.089

#167 Meerman

Meerman
  • Members
  • 23785 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:15 AM

Cheeks, you can add Chillyman as a favourite (instead of a friend). Favourites also show up on the friends leaderboards.

#168 morcs

morcs
  • Supporters
  • 13980 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:50 AM

The leaderboards get messed up when scrolling through loads of names as well, notice it says I used the SuperBee but PI is 430.

I'm amazed they haven't fixed that since Forza 3.

Are most of the Super Bee times actually not Super Bees then? I was thinking they must have got the PI horribly wrong on the Super Bee or something, making it the go to car for hot lapping!

#169 exwhyzed

exwhyzed
  • Members
  • 5962 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:58 AM

The SuperBee is broken PI wise. When you add an engine change the PI goes down despite having ridiculous amount of HP. As a result it dominates every class from F-B.

The problem with the leaderboards is that the list of cars doesn't seem to scroll at the same speed as the rest of the leaderboards and ends up misaligned after a while.

#170 Cheeko

Cheeko
  • Members
  • 5675 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:25 AM

exwhyzee, what's your method for learning the lines to take through corners. Do you just know all the tracks really well or do you tend to pick them up quickly? I find that once I see a line I can try and emulate it, but I find it really hard to work out my own lines or nail them quickly, it tends to be a bit trial and error.

The first corner on the Top Gear track is prime example, I'm sure in reality it's quite simple, but the way it's laid out, with the way the track curves before you get there and the weird way the lines are painted it just seems complicated to me, when I watched your replay your approach is really different to what I was doing.(which I'm glad, because otherwise I would just cry at our time differences :P )

#171 morcs

morcs
  • Supporters
  • 13980 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:34 AM

There's two options with turn 1 in my amateur opinion.

Either you try to time it so that you clip as close to the outside of the track as possible before turn in to the sharp bit to get maximum track width, or you try to treat the shallow and sharp parts as one big corner, which gives you a tighter line through the whole lot.

IIRC on Top Gear most F1 drivers take the former line, but Hamilton and Stig use the latter.

Edit: Just watched a few, everyone I watched (Mansell, Hamilton, Barrichello, Button) Clarkson said "That's the stig's line, all the other F1 drivers go wide there". Actually the only one I can find who went wide was Damon Hill, who also scrubbed off masses of speed at the hammerhead.

#172 exwhyzed

exwhyzed
  • Members
  • 5962 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:58 AM

exwhyzee, what's your method for learning the lines to take through corners. Do you just know all the tracks really well or do you tend to pick them up quickly? I find that once I see a line I can try and emulate it, but I find it really hard to work out my own lines or nail them quickly, it tends to be a bit trial and error.

I just pick it up quite quick rather than knowing the tracks intimately but I'd say its down to experience of knowing how to find a line. I don't think my line is the fastest, its just what I felt was right in the 20 mins I was doing it. The second to last turn and hammerhead can probably be taken faster.

There's two options with turn 1 in my amateur opinion.

Either you try to time it so that you clip as close to the outside of the track as possible before turn in to the sharp bit to get maximum track width, or you try to treat the shallow and sharp parts as one big corner, which gives you a tighter line through the whole lot.

I drop it down to third and coast out wide, its easy to break too much on this turn, and then power through once the exit opens up for you.

#173 John0

John0
  • Members
  • 4237 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:03 AM

johndarv : None : W : 1.26.557

#174 Marmite

Marmite
  • Supporters
  • 2977 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:18 PM

Marmite : None : W : 1.21.623

More time there, but cant seem to hook up my best lap.

#175 Gotters

Gotters
  • Supporters
  • 1546 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:51 PM

Gotters : ABS : W : 01:27.359

At least my best was my cleanest, can see where there is lots of time just cant string it together into a single lap

#176 Beezer

Beezer
  • Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:27 PM

Beezerly, none, W, 1:26:071

Very poor. Very poor indeed.

#177 exwhyzed

exwhyzed
  • Members
  • 5962 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:24 PM

exwhyzee : None : P : 1:21.307

Improved my time slightly but can't really get a lap together like everyone else. Between the second turn, hammerhead, follow through fast section and last two turns there's always something to mess up a lap. It's just a case of putting in a lap where you mess up least if you know what I mean.

Gotters : ABS : W : 01:27.359
At least my best was my cleanest, can see where there is lots of time just cant string it together into a single lap

Turn off ABS, takes a bit to get used to but its much faster without.

#178 wev

wev
  • Members
  • 5547 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:51 PM

wev : None : M : P : 1.26.239

I got into the 1:25's but the lap was dirty and throwing the car around for another 10 laps only resulted in times that were just below my official time.

#179 spatular

spatular
  • Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:00 AM

spatular : None : W : 1.24.316

#180 Meerman

Meerman
  • Members
  • 23785 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:11 AM

I've tried this, but can't even beat my Elise time so how do you know I'm not lying? Hence no time from me this week. Smith's in the same boat.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users