Photo

Binding of Isaac and Wrath of the Lamb talk!

PC

• Please log in to reply
223 replies to this topic

#1 Unofficial Who

Unofficial Who
  • Members
  • 15577 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:54 PM

So I bought this on a whim. Why not it was the price of a cup of coffee.

And now I'm looking up and it's about an hour in and despite being dead for the forth time in a row...I want to play again.

RPS have done a write up here.

http://www.rockpaper...nding-of-isaac/

Posted Image

I could go on about how it's so addictive because you never know what you're going to face next or what power ups you'll find but...I'm going back to play another round!

(Seriously for me this is possibly a contender for game of the year.)

#2 Mortis

Mortis
  • Supporters
  • 5207 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:56 PM

It's a rogue-like crossed with smash TV in your worst nightmare - loving it - shame about the lack of joypad support and locked resolution.

#3 clippa

clippa
  • Members
  • 4360 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:17 PM

shame about the lack of joypad support

I posted about that in the steam thread

joytokey - http://www.electraco...ish Version.htm

here are my settings that I've been using, works very well

First go to "other" and turn on "use axes other than x and y" and set the input threshold to 30%

axis x (<0) - A
axis x (>0) - D
axis y (<0) - W
axis y (>0) - S
axis 3 (<0) - space
axis 3 (>0) - E
button 1 - arrow down
button 2 - arrow right
button 3 - arrow left
button 4 - arrow up
button 6 - Q

left analogue stick for movement, a, b, x and y for firing, left trigger for bomb, right trigger to use item and right bumper for ... for when it tells you to press Q (to use tarot cards and such).

I agree with tssk, another instant classic, easily as good as super meat boy.

#4 Unofficial Who

Unofficial Who
  • Members
  • 15577 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:39 PM

I posted about that in the steam thread

joytokey - http://www.electraco...ish Version.htm

here are my settings that I've been using, works very well

I agree with tssk, another instant classic, easily as good as super meat boy.

That's worked a treat and fixes my only issue with the game. (For new starters the options menu is hidden in the pause function. Just press P and you can shift to full screen.)

Must. Go. To. Sleep.

#5 Dr Derek Doctors

Dr Derek Doctors
  • Members
  • 2448 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:48 PM

It's a rogue-like crossed with smash TV in your worst nightmare - loving it - shame about the lack of joypad support and locked resolution.

What locked resolution? Check the options in game.

#6 Mortis

Mortis
  • Supporters
  • 5207 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:51 PM

What locked resolution? Check the options in game.

Yeah I hadn't noticed the options menu was under the in game pause menu. All sorted now - with a little xpadder config and the F key I'm a happy camper.

#7 Yartek

Yartek
  • Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:48 PM

I'm trying to enjoy this game, but inbetween serious frame rate drops and it randomly crashing out every single time, I think I'll be waiting on a patch before I can play it properly.

EDIT : just got an update, doesn't crash anymore at least.

#8 deerokus

deerokus
  • Members
  • 11476 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:07 PM

I think it's only one of the Meat Boy guys - the art/designer guy, but not the programmer.

Anyway, it is really unsettling to play at 3am, as I did last night. Those freaky headless humanoid things that jump like bunnies!

#9 dood

dood
  • Supporters
  • 24209 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:51 PM

Just bought this, looks right up my back alley :)

Not sure when I'll get to play it though :( the RPS write up sold me completely!

Moar impressions please!

#10 The Bag

The Bag
  • Members
  • 3772 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:56 PM

I think it's only one of the Meat Boy guys - the art/designer guy, but not the programmer.

Yup, Ed McMillen with Florian Himsl who he's worked with before on Coil.

#11 clippa

clippa
  • Members
  • 4360 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:18 PM

from - http://edmundmcmille...nch-update.html

So there were a few minor bumps with the launch, came out a few hours late, the launch build was actually an older beta build without achievements and minor music issues.. but we were able to update asap and patch the issues right away.

For most of the day Isaac was the #2 highest grossing game on Steam! amazing stuff! thanks to everyone who picked it up and did video play throughs, podcasts and livestreams of the game, its been yet another surreal launch experience .

It might not make sense to most, but launching a game really takes an emotional tole on you regardless of how the game does, so i really want to thank all of you who went out of their ways to live stream the game, sent me awesome emails and fan pics, you really picked me up.... so now to give back!

Well as i mentioned in my previous post, there has been a lot of talk about a Halloween patch next month if the game was received well, this is obviously the case. So on oct.31st be ready for a very dark and jam packed FREE update to isaac, that will add a lot more to the game
... but 1st.

Kill mom already!

-Edmund
--------------

update notes:
-We are aware of a few bugs (wall bug, secret room bug, alt tab bug, etc) and are compiling an update for this weekend that should fix them.

-The Mac version of the game IS saving your achievements, but not rewarding them yet. Tommy is currently working on an app to fix this this week.. so dont worry mac people, all your achievements are there in your save and will be unlocked on steam once we patch the game!

-Anyone still not getting achievements on Pc after they have updated, delete your local content and redownload the game, it will fix any issues.

Also, I killed mom! Wooohoo!

Might delete the game and redownload as it says at the end there, everytime I start the game it's a clean slate, no unlocks, no items found, it's giving me achievements but that's it.

#12 Unofficial Who

Unofficial Who
  • Members
  • 15577 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:55 PM

Anyway, it is really unsettling to play at 3am, as I did last night. Those freaky headless humanoid things that jump like bunnies!

Topic name modded a bit.

And those headless? DON'T LET THEM NEAR FIRE!!!!!

#13 scissorkicks

scissorkicks
  • Members
  • 1739 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:16 AM

Fantastic game. Does anyone know if the update that includes controller options is currently windows only? It's listed as the latest update on Steam but there aren't any controller options on my Mac version.

#14 alistarr

alistarr
  • Members
  • 6403 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:58 AM

My control options screen reads:

lefty flip: ON/OFF
azerty: ON/OFF
game pad?: use joytokey (google it!)

So unless there's been another update that I've not received yet then I don't think you're missing too much.

#15 alistarr

alistarr
  • Members
  • 6403 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:57 PM

I really like this. The setting/story/presentation is grotesque and unsettling - and, as a result, very funny - and it plays with all these ideas about childhood shame or fear of abandonment or whatever which is pretty interesting. I think it's quite hard to explore those kinds of themes in any medium without piling on a bunch of unwanted adult hindsight, and here it's handled really well.

As for the gameplay, people who don't like twin stick shooters or other shmups might end up having to develop some skills to survive through the later areas, but beyond that slight barrier to entry (which you can probably overcome just by being better at collecting stuff than I am anyway) it's really enjoyable to just walk through doors and see what happens. I've played a couple of hours and made it to what I think is the final room once, having made probably six or seven attempts in total. A couple of times I've scraped through scary fights without getting touched (as fun here as in any shooter) and a couple of times I've died stupidly to weak enemies (as annoying here as in any shooter). More than once I've activated a treasured powerup I'd been saving only to find it doesn't do anything like what I had expected and I've died as a result, which is pretty funny and all part of the exploration. The variety of powerups, together with the randomness of the room-generation, is really a big part of the appeal. It makes it hurt so much less when you die and have to start again, because you're not just trudging through the same old world 1-1 over and over on your way to the difficult bits.

I keep wanting to look up what different powerups are available but I've resisted the temptation so far - I get the feeling it would ruin a lot of the fun.

#16 Tomdominer

Tomdominer
  • Members
  • 1015 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

It would be good if the first post detailed the platform / cost and stuff...

Had to scroll through the posts to work out what to do to actually play the game!

#17 alistarr

alistarr
  • Members
  • 6403 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:26 PM

I can't do anything about the OP but if anyone else wants to know, it's a PC game which I think runs in Flash, and if you buy games on Steam then it's currently £3.59, going up to £3.99 in a few days.

Steam store page info (which you don't need to read) and system requirements (which are low):

Spoiler

#18 clippa

clippa
  • Members
  • 4360 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:39 PM

I've activated a treasured powerup I'd been saving only to find it doesn't do anything like what I had expected and I've died as a result

Ha, yeah, there's one I picked up like a ticking timebomb. I thought "That looks suspiciously like the sort of thing a suicide bomber wears under his coat in cartoons. Knowing this game it'll probably blow me up as well."
And what do you know, it did :D
Bloody amazing game, just can't stop playing it. A few little niggles, I mean I could complain about having to backup and restore my save every time because of the shitty way flash handles the save file. I could complain about having to force 120hz through refreshlock, I could complain about having to use joytokey rather than it handling a control pad natively, I could complain about the having to stay in the top half of the room when fighting mom just in case she stomps me through the wall and I have to restart again, but when a game is this brilliant, the amount of fun you're having just eclipses everything else and they're all minor little twatty complaints anyway.

19 hours I've clocked so far :o Been trying to complete the game with judas, I got so so close the other night :D

#19 scissorkicks

scissorkicks
  • Members
  • 1739 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:43 PM

My control options screen reads:

lefty flip: ON/OFF
azerty: ON/OFF
game pad?: use joytokey (google it!)

So unless there's been another update that I've not received yet then I don't think you're missing too much.

No controller options at all on my Mac version, yet. I'm aware of Joytokey, but sadly it's Windows-only (as far as I can tell anyway).

It's no biggy, just wondering why Steam hasn't pulled down the update yet.

#20 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17978 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:01 PM

No controller options at all on my Mac version, yet. I'm aware of Joytokey, but sadly it's Windows-only (as far as I can tell anyway).

It's no biggy, just wondering why Steam hasn't pulled down the update yet.

Doesn't have to be joy2key though, just search for a Mac app that does the same thing. Surely there must be one?

#21 alistarr

alistarr
  • Members
  • 6403 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:18 PM

Just to clarify, that wasn't me telling you to google joytokey - that's literally what the options menu in the game says!

#22 scissorkicks

scissorkicks
  • Members
  • 1739 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:30 PM

Just to clarify, that wasn't me telling you to google joytokey - that's literally what the options menu in the game says!

Hahaha. Fair enough then :)

#23 alistarr

alistarr
  • Members
  • 6403 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:07 PM

I mean I could complain about having to backup and restore my save every time because of the shitty way flash handles the save file

How do you do this?

#24 clippa

clippa
  • Members
  • 4360 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:22 PM

OK, brace yourself

go into your start menu, click on "run" if your on xp, or just click on the search box if your on windows 7 and type %appdata% in there and press enter.

Now navigate to AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects

Make a shortcut to this folder on your desktop so it's easier for you to get there in the future)

Inside that folder, there'll be another who's name is randomly generated by flash every time it's created so it'll be different to mine

AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\KQP36656\localhost

Inside that localhost folder is where you'll find a file called "so.sol" that's the file you want to be be backing up every time you finish playing.

Then when you load up the game again, load it up once to let it generate the folder, then exit, replace the so.sol file with the one you've backed up and load the game up again.

Sounds a bit long winded but you'll be doing it all on autopilot after the first time and it takes all of 5 seconds :D

I dragged the file into notepad just out of curiosity and it's got the words "shits" and "cocks" in there :D No idea what they refer to though.

Not everyone is having problems with the save file disappearing all the time, it'll probably be due to the way I have firefox set to clear everything when I exit it that's flushing mine but I'm not sacrificing my safety and privacy and having sites store a load of flash guff on my hard drive just for the sake of one game :D

#25 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17978 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:32 PM

Not everyone is having problems with the save file disappearing all the time, it'll probably be due to the way I have firefox set to clear everything when I exit it that's flushing mine but I'm not sacrificing my safety and privacy and having sites store a load of flash guff on my hard drive just for the sake of one game :D

I have my firefox set up the same way and my Isaac save has been fine since the second update though... weird.

#26 clippa

clippa
  • Members
  • 4360 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:35 PM

Aye, christ knows, flash works in mysterious ways :D It's probably a good idea to back it up once in a while anyway, imagine all that progress going kaput just like that :D

#27 alistarr

alistarr
  • Members
  • 6403 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:41 PM

Thanks, probably something I'll leave to try until after I've lost progress, but I'll try and make myself do it some time before just in case :-)

#28 scissorkicks

scissorkicks
  • Members
  • 1739 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:32 PM

So after a couple of hours of searching, I found my 360 controller wireless dongle, installed the Tattiebogle drivers, and Enjoy (Mac equivalent to JoyToKey). I've got the D-pad and buttons working, but I kinda wish I could get the left stick working for movement, but Enjoy doesn't seem to be up to it. Still, it's working.

Ah, but the TattieBogle PS3 controller drivers with Enjoy work perfectly - got D-Pad, buttons and sticks all working. And connected over bluetooth, too.

#29 Unofficial Who

Unofficial Who
  • Members
  • 15577 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:39 AM

Six hours in and I've finished...or so I thought...

#30 clippa

clippa
  • Members
  • 4360 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:00 PM

I don't think you ever truly finish a game like this that's meant for multiple playthroughs. Unless you finish it with every character and collect every item.

Jesus christ, I'm a fucking moron. Read that! I'm posting that so future generations can learn from my idiocy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users