Film

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 tbb

tbb
  • Moderators
  • 39290 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:38 AM

Saw this tonight. I was glad I had both a hoodie and my winter coat with me as the movie made me feel really cold all the way through.

I enjoyed it. Loved the huge wolf and totally shit myself on many occasions.

The howling in the dark scenes was superbly haunting.

#32 boomeh

boomeh
  • Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:03 AM

I thought this was bloody excellent. It was tense and scary in all the right places but it also carried with it an incredibly bleak and sobering tale about life and survival that I just totally wasn't expecting from it. I think its fair to say that if you go into it expecting Taken but with wolf assailants you might be a bit turned around by some of it.

Everything about this film is bleak. Life in this environment is simply absent, or at the very most presented as entirely inhospitable. These are people trapped in simply nothing. Its just them staring into this void with an ever looming threat of death emerging from it at any moment. Having said that though there is alot to look at, the director has an incredibly sharp eye for detail and the landscapes are just beautiful, but its some of the meatier moments not immediately noticeable that really takes you in. I was reminded of some of the narration from Touching the Void in some of its quieter moments. That middle ground of being completely accepting about ones own life about to end and then shaking it off for just one more breath really affected me. Neeson's great in alot of these key scenes and the one from the beginning of him
Spoiler

Spoiler

That was the only thing I wish, but at the same time completely understand why it wasn't in the final film but

Spoiler

#33 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 37636 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:44 PM

This is pretty good so far (half way through) but these velociraptors look way too furry.

#34 Cosmic Squirrel

Cosmic Squirrel
  • Members
  • 26610 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

watched this with a couple of mates who didnt really want to watch it. Convinced them, but whilst the film was okay i wouldnt say its as good as its being made out to be. Bit too long and unbelievable at times - many times it seemed very windy yet cut to the characters and it looked calm as day! especially when one of the characters dropped something and the wind didnt affect it at all.

missed the post credits part though, even though i waited for it.

Kind of was a mix between Alive, Frozen and Jurassic park!

#35 fasteasyfree

fasteasyfree
  • Members
  • 37297 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:16 PM

Enjoyed, but as others have said about
Spoiler

#36 Glasgowchivas

Glasgowchivas
  • Supporters
  • 4996 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

Nah. The ending is perfect as it is for the type of film that The Grey is.

Had it been 'Taken With Wolves' then I agree,
Spoiler
but it wasn't and it was all the better a film for it in my opinion.

#37 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 37636 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

Watched the other half today. It's definitely a B-movie, but it's really well directed and paced, toeing the line between survivalist realism and dramatic license quite effectively. Surprisingly good!

#38 KYUSS

KYUSS
  • Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:26 PM

It was Great!

#39 CGB

CGB
  • Members
  • 1158 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:35 PM

Spoiler

I was expecting to enjoy this, but I liked it even more than I thought I would. As others have said, I thought this was a bit more than a standard horror (or Taken with wolves) too. I cared about all of the characters, for one thing. Even the jerk. I've really enjoyed some of Neeson's recent films (even Unknown).

#40 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 37636 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

It's more like Predator with Wolves than Taken with Wolves. But with a slice of pseudo-seriousness which is pitched just right.

#41 Jon

Jon
  • Members
  • 11919 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

I just watched this, basically after all the praise on here, but fuck me, what a joke. Is it supposed to be a comedy?

The luminous wolf breath in the dark, the howling that only happened at supposedly tense moments, the terrible acting, the bad directing, the unbelievable story and the laughable ending. Seriously, what was there to like?

I haven't been Neeson's biggest fan since Star Wars, but this really did take the piss. Even the eyes in the dark scene was ridiculously overplayed.

#42 DeadRussian

DeadRussian
  • Members
  • 4593 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:14 PM

I was planning on watching this tonight. How many wolves does Liam Neeson punch? The answer to this question will determine whether I watch the movie or not.

#43 Jon

Jon
  • Members
  • 11919 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:20 PM

I was planning on watching this tonight. How many wolves does Liam Neeson punch? The answer to this question will determine whether I watch the movie or not.

I'd recommend watching it just to see how shit it actually is. To be fair, I managed to sit through it all just because each comedy moment kept drawing me back in.

And yeah, he doesn't punch any wolves. Well, maybe one, but it's badly shot so you cant really tell and he gets bitten anyway.

I'm amazed that looking back through this thread that everybody loved it. There's not a bad word said about one of the worst films I've seen in the last few years. Very odd.

#44 skunko

skunko
  • Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

I'd recommend watching it just to see how shit it actually is. To be fair, I managed to sit through it all just because each comedy moment kept drawing me back in.

And yeah, he doesn't punch any wolves. Well, maybe one, but it's badly shot so you cant really tell and he gets bitten anyway.

I'm amazed that looking back through this thread that everybody loved it. There's not a bad word said about one of the worst films I've seen in the last few years. Very odd.

So... you were a fan?

#45 Yoshimax

Yoshimax
  • Supporters
  • 8107 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:43 AM

I'm with Jon on this one thought it was poorly acted, badly scripted and the wolves were woeful. Looking at the gushing praise I seemed to have watched a different movie.

#46 Hean Dog

Hean Dog
  • Supporters
  • 27681 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:27 AM

This is a strange one. I went into this thinking it was going to be a serious movie based on survivors of a plane crash, where wolves just happened to be the local predators that they were going to have to deal with. I wasn’t expecting the wolves to be demonized and to become the monster of the movie. So yeah, it has taken a lot of readjustment in my expectations to get my mind right for the movie, and Im still not sure what to think really. I think if Neeson had been replaced with a less serious type actor it would be easier to take, but the juxtaposition of his earnest acting style and the ridiculous nature of the wolves stalking the party, glowing eyes and all, makes it a tough package to accept.

Anyway, the Mrs was hating it, so I only got up to the head cutting/roast scene. Will watch the rest tonight, maybe with my lowered expectations I might enjoy the second half a bit more.

#47 Treble

Treble
  • Members
  • 7477 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:31 AM

I took the demonisation of the wolves to be something happening inside the protagonists' heads - we see the creatures as they do. The CGI's weak but I thought the concept was sound so gave the film a pass on that one.

#48 villenium

villenium
  • Members
  • 3018 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:36 PM

I have to say I thought this was shockingly bad. I think the problem is that I stayed spoiler-free and expected Alive With Wolves.

#49 Hean Dog

Hean Dog
  • Supporters
  • 27681 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:54 PM

I have to say I thought this was shockingly bad. I think the problem is that I stayed spoiler-free and expected Alive With Wolves.

That's exactly my problem and how I explained it to my parents. It's actually just a cheesy monster movie at heart.

#50 Treble

Treble
  • Members
  • 7477 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:29 AM

Do you report back to your parents on all the films you watch?

#51 Hean Dog

Hean Dog
  • Supporters
  • 27681 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:00 AM

So anyway, finished watching it last night. I think I enjoyed it more last night due to my tempered expectations. Also the wolves were used much more sparingly in the second half and it became more about the characters and their struggle to survive the elements etc.

The ending was, ahem. And I only discovered it had an end credit scene after I had finished watching and deleted. Watched that this morning on youtube hoping it might add a bit more, but was pretty pointless really.

strangely one of the things I enjoyed in this film were the schmaltzy moments and most of the deaths were done pretty well, especially those not directly involving the wolves, or those that only teased their involvement.

So weirdly I think it would have been a better movie without the wolves occupying centre stage as the big bad beastie, and maybe just having them involved incidently once or twice.

#52 Cosmic Squirrel

Cosmic Squirrel
  • Members
  • 26610 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:16 AM

it was pretty crappy if i recall. i was expecting much more i think.

#53 CactuarBill

CactuarBill
  • Members
  • 6876 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:50 PM

Just watched this and I thought it was pretty good. I did expect Taken with wolves which it is not but was more pleased because of it. For anyone to say this is badly acted is delusional. Neeson is very good in this, it's wonderfully shot, has a nice film look about it and it's honestly brutal and moving in places.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Film

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users