Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Sarge

Silent Hill HD Collection

173 posts in this topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsYBbMnqido

4JP1t.jpg

skqUW.jpg

Not much is known about this just yet, but there's talk that Konami will be using a new voice actor for James and others. I'll up date this post with more info + sources at some point over the weekend, but for now enjoy the teaser trailer...

Yesterday it was reported that Konami’s Silent Hill HD Collection on PS3 will feature new voice performances, with the original voice work being re-done to compliment the HD release. This news has met with mixed reactions from fans, mainly due to the fact that changing the voices of characters like James, Maria and Heather will almost certainly alter the unique experience and atmosphere created by both Silent Hill 2 and 3.

TGL got in touch with Guy Cihi, the voice of Silent Hill 2 protagonist James Sunderland and asked him if he would be returning to voice James in the HD Collection and if he knew anything about being re-cast. He had some blunt words for Konami and made the following response:

“Konami knows that they owe me residuals for all previous unauthorized re-uses of my mocap and vocal performances. It would appear Konami is seeking to avoid further liability by changing the voice in their latest re-use of the SH2 materials. However, if any of my mocap appears in the new release, Konami will be liable for unauthorized reuse of my performance. Like Gump’s momma said, “Stupid is as stupid does.” It would have been much better for everyone had Konami simply made me a reasonable offer…”

He added further; “I’ll get around to seeking compensation through the courts one of these days. I simply don’t have the time for it right now. I hope this doesn’t bum out any fans… It’s just business as usual on the production side of games.”

The Silent Hill HD Collection will include HD remasters of both Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3. A release date for the PS3 collection has yet to be announced.

http://thegamingliberty.com/index.php/2011/06/10/original-james-voice-actor-speaks-out-about-silent-hill-2-hd-re-casting/

:)

What? No Shattered Memories... :(

Surprisingly no. Very disappointed to be honest and I doubt it'll be coming with Downpour either. :(

Bugger was hoping either SH1 or Shattered Memories would be on it :(

I'd imagine they're going to try and release another with The Room, Origins and Shattered Memories if this one does well. No justification though, especially as Sony used to constantly hard on about the super duper storage of blu-ray...

Dont they have to redo all the mocap too? I dunno, to be honest i dont think the games need anything more than some HD textures and being up-resed. The PC versions still look amazing, get that on console and youre fine. I think redoing the voice work and possibly mocap is a bit ridiculous, just cause they wont pay the actor.

If youre gonna go that far, you may aswell just do a full on remake, instead of a HD re-release.

Shattered Memories was turd, these were good. I welcome it not being included.

Shattered Memories is possibly the most 'adult' game I've played this generation. It's utterly brilliant and up there with SH2 as the best games in the series. It's a shame it's not part of this package.

The waggling made Shattered Memories a 428% more immersive experience for me.

Oh this door's locked good job the key's in this cupboard next to it every time.

Anyway, new voices. I hope the new actor's can reproduce that slightly spaced out, distant tone of the originals (well, 2 at least) because that's half of what made it so darn creepy.

PS3 only, for fucks sake I just want to play SH2 again on my 360. The BC is broken and it hangs on the title screen. Why they feel the need to change the voices I don't know. From the looks of that trailer I hope they don't change the music too.

Konami are such shit peddlers. Another japanese developer totally out of touch with modern gaming

Why they feel the need to change the voices I don't know.

I am mega suing Konami over their use of my voice grrrrrrr

but that's the point...they are using different voices because they don't want to pay the guy

and will probably use the money they save not paying that guy to get somebody else to do it

another amazing corporate decision from senior management

Sony used to constantly hard on about the super duper storage of blu-ray...

Typo or not? You decide.

Unless something's changed recently, it's a PS3 exclusive...

In an interview with Joystiq, Silent Hill producer Tom Hulett stated that the Silent Hill Collection is PS3 exclusive "right now." According to Hulett, "It's always been a primarily Sony platform series. So, right now we're just aiming at a Sony exclusive, which isn't to say [that] in the future it won't be available anywhere else, but right now it's a Sony exclusive. Keep those multiplatform fingers crossed!

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/09/silent-hill-collection-will-be-on-playstation-3-only-this-fall/

The wording suggests we might see it on 360 eventually though, but be prepared for a 6 month+ wait...(going by previous timed exclusives)

:)

Eurogamer:

The Silent Hill HD Collection will also be heading to Xbox 360 as well as PS3, Konami has announced.

Both versions will be released "early 2012".

The Silent Hill HD Collection contains Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3. Both will be remastered with 720p visuals and new voice overs.

Trophies and Achievements are also stuffed in.

Konami announced the Silent Hill HD Collection as a PS3 exclusive in July.

Impressive. Silent Hill 2 never had great voice acting but this [new stuff] manages to make it [the old stuff] sound like an RSC performance of Hamlet.

I'm well pleased it's coming to 360 but I love the old voices. The old attract mode sequence when he goes 'how do you know about that!? aren't you maria' and the 'theme of laura' kicks in, I used to watch that shit on loop. SOOO GOOD.

We have been shafted this gen for good horror games :(

I think the new voices sound a bit better than the originals, although they don't seem to be properly mixed yet.

Also, a needless bit of trivia: Mary/Maria is now voiced by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, a fairly prolific voiceover artist who's also lent her voice to all the Silent Hill soundtracks.

She's directed the new dubs too, as she did for Shattered Memories. Also, she's the voice of the Major in Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex.

Spacey hosty, have a listen to this RSC-quality performance (1:24 onwards if you want to compare it directly to new clip above):

EDIT: Actually, I'll just put the 'new voices' here too for easy reference... ...

This is fantastic, but why the devil aren't they HD-ing Silent Hill 1 up aswell?