• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#121 ZOK

ZOK
  • Supporters
  • 29264 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:01 PM

A few fans in the SF thread.

I listened to the Audiobook and I sort of enjoyed it, but have had no real desire to continue with the trilogy.

#122 Strategos

Strategos
  • Members
  • 4233 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:19 PM

Currently reading Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer. 
I'm not sure if it's post apocalyptic or not. Anyone read it? 

It's more pre-apocalypse. 

I really enjoyed them, although some people seemed dissatisfied or frustrated with them, I loved the writing and the atmosphere.  Maybe a case of the journey and not the destination.

If you don't like the first book the rest probably aren't for you either. 

#123 KYUSS

KYUSS
  • Members
  • 1027 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:12 PM

I'm enjoying it so far. Seems quite short.

Just bought The End of the World Running Club: A Post-Apocalyptic Running Story [Kindle Edition]
Currently £1.99 on Amazon.
It's got decent reviews and the synopsis sounds cool.

Edgar Hill is 35 and caught in his own headlock. Overweight slob, under-performing husband and reluctant father – for Ed, the world may as well have already ended.

So when it does end in a catastrophic asteroid strike and Edgar and his family find refuge in an Edinburgh army barracks, it comes as something of a relief. His world becomes simpler, life becomes easier, things might just be looking up.

But nothing's ever that simple. Returning from a salvage run in the city, Edgar finds his family gone, taken to the south coast for evacuation by an international task force. Suddenly he finds himself facing a gruelling journey on foot across a devastated United Kingdom. Accompanied by a group of misfits that include a large, hairy tattoo artist and an old man who claims to have run around Australia, Edgar must race against time and overcome his own short-comings, not to mention 100 mile canyons and a very strange council estate, to find the people he loves before he loses them forever.

A vivid, gripping story of hope, long-distance running and how we break the limits of our own endurance.

#124 idiwa

idiwa
  • Members
  • 15527 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:57 PM

That running thing sounds pretty cool.

#125 KYUSS

KYUSS
  • Members
  • 1027 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:20 PM

Annihilation didn't blow me away. Not sure I'll read the other 2.

#126 idiwa

idiwa
  • Members
  • 15527 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:18 PM

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel is £1.79 for Kindle just now. Added to my pile o' shame. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users