Apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic fiction

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#91 neoELITE

neoELITE
  • Members
  • 7924 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:59 AM

Just finished this and really enjoyed it excellent stuff.

Moved onto Autumn as recommended above and it's really not comparing well. I'm struggling to keep reading it, completely UNengaging in every way. Bland writing , bland characters. 

It's not that good but, in the genre, the treatment of the undead is a bit different to other books - I won't spoil it but, if you finish it, you'll understand why I think it's an interesting 'different' take. It's mundane for a reason.

I'm reading Gibson's Necromancer - it's post-apocalyptic sci-fi (of a kind) - not engaging me at all. It just leaps right in to a future-scape with no introduction. 

#92 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 26617 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:19 AM

Neuromancer isn't post apocalyptic.

It's also the best SF novel ever written. Your post has been logged, please report to your nearest Attitude Readjustment Centre within 48 hours.

#93 BossSaru

BossSaru
  • Supporters
  • 7725 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:00 PM

Based on earlier recommendations in this thread I have suggested On The Beach to my book club, which they chose and will now read. The cover art really sold it to me, and the blurb on the back suggests a different slant on the post-apocalypse genre, focusing on characters facing an imminent death rather than fighting gangs for survival.

Well that was simultaneously one of the most harrowing and uplifting books I have read in a long time. In some parts it was similar to Ghibli's Grave of the Fireflies, but there were a lot of light moments in the book which made the story more one of enjoying what time one has left as opposed to the bleakness of an inescapable fate.

Spoiler

It will be interesting to see what my book club make of it. They did eventually forgive me after the Blood Meridian month, so hopefully they should be all right with this.

#94 Harsin

Harsin
  • Members
  • 15732 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:43 PM

I stand by my post about On The Beach on the first page of this thread.

It's incredibly depressing, even by the metric of a genre that is inherently depressing. For some reason I found people facing the end of the world with a stiff upper lip more affecting than the modern takes where everybody is more likely to start raping and turn into cannibals.

#95 idiwa

idiwa
  • Members
  • 14715 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:40 AM

Finished The Twelve at the weekend (being the 2nd book in the Passage Trilogy). Was a bit slow at the start but I really enjoyed it and thought it was just as good as The Passage. Enjoyed that it dealt with some more characters before things all went to shit and it all turned to hell. The third book is due to come out in a few weeks, so hopefully I'll grab it and read it when the other two are still fresh in my mind. There's a hell of a lot going on in The Passage and The Twelve and I'm glad I read them back to back. Just looking at some postings on Good Reads discussing the books; christ so many people just don't get the book at all...."but who is X and why is there 12 of them.." It's like watching Game of Thrones and asking "so who is this wee dwarf guy again?"  :facepalm: 

#96 Strategos

Strategos
  • Members
  • 3484 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:36 AM

I agree I've enjoyed them both and am def looking forward to the third.

#97 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 26617 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:59 AM

I've got The Girl With All The Gifts audiobook on the go thanks to you lot.
It's flipping great, well done all! :quote:

Just finished this, certainly keeps you gripped throughout. Loved it!

#98 idiwa

idiwa
  • Members
  • 14715 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:37 PM

I agree I've enjoyed them both and am def looking forward to the third.

Would be great if ANC or someone else picked this up to turn it into a tv series. I think I mentioned before the film rights have been signed over but I really don't know how they would make this into a film.. it'll turn into a total hatchet job.

#99 Doctor Shark

Doctor Shark
  • Committee Member
  • 5785 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:12 PM

I too finished girl with all the gifts recently. It was good, but the ending didn't half feel rushed. Really let down the whole book, I thought.

#100 Strategos

Strategos
  • Members
  • 3484 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:46 AM

Just finished On The Beach.

I really enjoyed this, it's a slow burner and not the most cheerful book in the world. But it's aged surprisingly well and is very engaging.

#101 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 26617 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:32 AM

I too finished girl with all the gifts recently. It was good, but the ending didn't half feel rushed. Really let down the whole book, I thought.

I don't know, it worked for me, although it was an audiobook so the experience is different. The one thing I couldn't buy was
Spoiler

#102 Davros sock drawer

Davros sock drawer
  • Members
  • 40826 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:00 PM

I was listening to the Incomparable's podcast about the Stand, so I thought I'd give it a go.

It's sort of badly written, but very compelling. Might check out the mini series as well.

#103 idiwa

idiwa
  • Members
  • 14715 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:24 PM

Mini series is a bit pish tbh. I mean it starts off really well (its in 2 parts) but by part 2 its uber religion good vs evil. 

#104 Harsin

Harsin
  • Members
  • 15732 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:38 PM

It has really good opening credits though.

#105 cassidy

cassidy
  • Members
  • 14512 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:52 PM

I don't know, it worked for me, although it was an audiobook so the experience is different. The one thing I couldn't buy was

Spoiler

Can't agree with that because even before she realised the fact. Her actions are due to her understanding it's the only hope for humanity.

#106 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 26617 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:38 PM

Back on the post apocalyptic tip, I was listening to an Audible of William Gibson's essays, Mistrust That Particular Flavour, and he mentions a fifties nuclear war novel that used to freak him out as a kid. I looked it up and it's pretty good so far, I'm about half way through.

It's called Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank, I downloaded a free ePub version here: http://www.general-e...54-alas-babylon There are a some errors in there (bad paragraphing, letters missed out, a paragraph repeated, etc), not an issue for me really but it may annoy you if you get bothered by that sort of thing. Worth checking out.

#107 PK.

PK.
  • Supporters
  • 5458 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:41 PM

Really enjoying The Passage at the moment.  Very gripping so far - is The Twelve good too?

(big spoilers]

Spoiler

All the recommendations from this thread have been great!

#108 idiwa

idiwa
  • Members
  • 14715 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:07 PM

Really enjoying The Passage at the moment.  Very gripping so far - is The Twelve good too?

(big spoilers]

Spoiler

All the recommendations from this thread have been great!

Yeah, The Twelve is just as good (though it changes tact a bit). I thought the third book (city of glass??) was coming out next week but I'm sure the fuckers have changed the date to Oct 2015. Ack!

#109 idiwa

idiwa
  • Members
  • 14715 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:15 PM

I don't know if it was always the case but I noticed The Passage is on Amazon for Kindle for 1.99 atm.

http://www.amazon.co...rds=the passage

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users