85 replies to this topic

#61 mingmong

mingmong
  • Members
  • 1312 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:43 PM

Feed Trilogy spoilers

Spoiler

Sand by Hugh Howey is a pretty neat book.  About life in the desert, except the desert sits on top of a buried city.  Salvagers use recovered technology to build suits capable of manipulating fields so the sand flows around them, allowing them to dive the city like a huge shipwreck.  

#62 cassidy

cassidy
  • Members
  • 14359 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:45 AM

Currently reading The Girl with all the Gifts by Mike Carey. Didnt even realise it was Post apocolyptic and not only that but its bloody superb as well. Such a well realised world and really well written. Done 200 pages in a day its that much of a page turner. Highly recommend it.

#63 Anne Summers

Anne Summers
  • Members
  • 7810 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:49 PM

Thanks, just downloading this - came into the thread when I saw it had been bumped specifically because I'm hankering for a new bit of post-apocalypse, the fact that its Mike Carey means I'm pretty happy.

#64 cassidy

cassidy
  • Members
  • 14359 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:33 PM

Its one of the best books I've read this year. Loved it all and completed it in about 36 hrs

#65 rumblecat

rumblecat
  • Supporters
  • 2942 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:21 PM

Usually I don't bother with recommendations now, because it's led me down the garden path into reading some fairly pedestrian stuff but really glad I ignored that rule and went out and picked up Girl with All the Gifts- really is as good as you say, and it's a tough one to put down. 

Hadn't even heard about it and would probably have not picked it up if it hadn't been for this thread, so cheers for that cassidy. 

Also really like the fact the synopsis on the back gives so little away. It's nice to pick up a book that doesn't feel the need to explain everything and give away 100-pages-in plot turns on the back- so much better to be a little more enigmatic and atmospheric. 

#66 cassidy

cassidy
  • Members
  • 14359 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:20 PM

To be fair I said too much posting in this thread. But I had to share.

#67 Silent Runner

Silent Runner
  • Supporters
  • 13738 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:10 AM

cassidy should be on commission for sales of TGWATG in this thread. I got it on my kindle yesterday and blitzed through the first 25% last night. Fantastic read so far. I’d have read more but had to sleep.

#68 rumblecat

rumblecat
  • Supporters
  • 2942 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:27 PM

Finished "The Girl With All The Gifts"- thought it was excellent and interesting to read from the interview at the back that Carey was writing a screenplay of it at the same time he was writing the novel. I can see how a film would work, but it'd be a tough one to beat the book. 

Big old plot spoilers ahoy- 

Spoiler

#69 johnj

johnj
  • Members
  • 5572 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:40 PM

Finished the Wool triology recently, was pretty good. Just finished Stephen King's 'The Stand' - could have done without the religous hocum but I suppose it was an interesting slant - quite interested to check out the film off the back of it.

#70 Anne Summers

Anne Summers
  • Members
  • 7810 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:44 PM

I got about half way through the second Wool volume before I just sort of lost interest and drifted onto something else. I think part of the problem was, once I'd found out about why they were all there, I didn't think there was really going to be anything interesting left to find out.

The Girl With All The Gifts, I am really enjoying - there's mileage in the post apocalyptic zombie genre yet!

#71 PK.

PK.
  • Supporters
  • 5290 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:41 PM

I've just taken the longest possible route home from work so that I could read more of The Girl With All The Gifts, thanks for all the recommendations in this thread! What a great book

#72 neoELITE

neoELITE
  • Members
  • 7762 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:00 PM

I've just ordered The Girl With All The Gifts.

One that's always stuck with me in this genre is Autumn by David Moody; I've not read any of the series after this first book. It was unsettling and threatening even though there is little actual 'death' and the zombies don't shamble about eating people, they just seem to aimlessly wander around and, at the end, they're like a flood. I loved the ending as it was so understated.

#73 idiwa

idiwa
  • Members
  • 14395 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:56 PM

Currently reading The Girl with all the Gifts by Mike Carey. Didnt even realise it was Post apocolyptic and not only that but its bloody superb as well. Such a well realised world and really well written. Done 200 pages in a day its that much of a page turner. Highly recommend it.

Bought this the day you posted about it on the Kindle. Really enjoyed it and the ending was great but...

Spoiler

Finished "The Girl With All The Gifts"- thought it was excellent and interesting to read from the interview at the back that Carey was writing a screenplay of it at the same time he was writing the novel. I can see how a film would work, but it'd be a tough one to beat the book. 

Big old plot spoilers ahoy- 

Spoiler

I've just ordered The Girl With All The Gifts.

One that's always stuck with me in this genre is Autumn by David Moody; I've not read any of the series after this first book. It was unsettling and threatening even though there is little actual 'death' and the zombies don't shamble about eating people, they just seem to aimlessly wander around and, at the end, they're like a flood. I loved the ending as it was so understated.

I tried reading Autumn a few years ago but it was pre Kindle and I was reading it on the iPhone (which was a pain in the tits). I might go back to it as it was pretty decent.

#74 idiwa

idiwa
  • Members
  • 14395 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:37 PM

Read The Passage by Justin Cronin a few weeks ago - you want an apocalypse, that's an apocalypse. Bit overlong maybe but it had me gripped the whole way.

I started reading this last week and really loved it…

Spoiler

#75 Anne Summers

Anne Summers
  • Members
  • 7810 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:45 PM

Bought this the day you posted about it on the Kindle. Really enjoyed it and the ending was great but...

Spoiler

Carey is British but he's worked in American comics for years and probably lives in America, so not surprising he uses Americanisms.

#76 Anne Summers

Anne Summers
  • Members
  • 7810 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:48 PM

I started reading this last week and really loved it…

Spoiler

I thought The Passage picked up after the first section - like you said, the first part just seemed like a fairly bog-standard thriller to me, until the apocalypse stuff kicked in.
I started book 2 when it came out but it lost my attention after a quarter of the way through or so - is it generally felt that it's a bit of a let-down or does it get better?

#77 neoELITE

neoELITE
  • Members
  • 7762 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:00 PM

I've finished The Girl With All The Gifts. Really interesting book. Read in a week. I very much enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommendation people. I've read a few zombie books but this wasn't really about the hungries - it felt a bit like The Mist near the end. Most of the threat came from the survivors.

#78 idiwa

idiwa
  • Members
  • 14395 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:51 PM

Cheers Anne :)

#79 El Spatula

El Spatula
  • Members
  • 6700 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:22 PM

Mike Carey is also a scouser, and we do use pants for trousers I'm afraid!

#80 idiwa

idiwa
  • Members
  • 14395 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:08 PM

Noooooooooooooooooooooo.jpg

Ok la, fair enough.

#81 Harsin

Harsin
  • Members
  • 15476 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:50 PM

I thought The Passage picked up after the first section - like you said, the first part just seemed like a fairly bog-standard thriller to me, until the apocalypse stuff kicked in.
I started book 2 when it came out but it lost my attention after a quarter of the way through or so - is it generally felt that it's a bit of a let-down or does it get better?

If anything it gets worse. Takes all the worst parts if the first book and then ramps them up to 11.

#82 idiwa

idiwa
  • Members
  • 14395 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:03 PM

Just finished The Passage. Amazing read! As I said above moving from part 1 to part 2 was a bit of a jolt but it soon settled down. Heard a lot of crap things about The Twelve (which is a shame) but I think I'll give it a try at some point.

Noticed on IMDB there is an entry for The Passage but there's not really much hard details.. god knows how they'd sum up The Passage in 90mins for the masses.

#83 PK.

PK.
  • Supporters
  • 5290 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:16 PM

A Canticle for Leibowitz is a classic, but its very religion focussed, so your enjoyment of that might be dependent on how much you know about Catholicism.

This is a great book, thanks for the recommendation 3 years ago!

#84 ZOK

ZOK
  • Members
  • 25992 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:06 PM

Here is another Philip K Dick post-apocalyptic short, called The Defenders. It's not at the level of Second Variety, but it's a nice read nevertheless: http://www.gutenberg...7-h/28767-h.htm

#85 smac

smac
  • Members
  • 6454 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:03 PM

This [Canticle for Leibowitz] is a great book, thanks for the recommendation 3 years ago!

The sequel is terrible, so don't be in a hurry to read that!

#86 hungry joe

hungry joe
  • Members
  • 2387 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:14 PM

The Book Of Dave is pretty good, if you like the thought of Wilf Self writing Riddley Walker.

If you don't it's insufferable, apparently.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

PK.