Sapa

Apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic fiction

136 posts in this topic

A few fans in the SF thread.

I listened to the Audiobook and I sort of enjoyed it, but have had no real desire to continue with the trilogy.

Currently reading Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer.

I'm not sure if it's post apocalyptic or not. Anyone read it?

It's more pre-apocalypse.

I really enjoyed them, although some people seemed dissatisfied or frustrated with them, I loved the writing and the atmosphere. Maybe a case of the journey and not the destination.

If you don't like the first book the rest probably aren't for you either.

I'm enjoying it so far. Seems quite short.

Just bought The End of the World Running Club: A Post-Apocalyptic Running Story [Kindle Edition]

Currently £1.99 on Amazon.

It's got decent reviews and the synopsis sounds cool.

Edgar Hill is 35 and caught in his own headlock. Overweight slob, under-performing husband and reluctant father – for Ed, the world may as well have already ended.

So when it does end in a catastrophic asteroid strike and Edgar and his family find refuge in an Edinburgh army barracks, it comes as something of a relief. His world becomes simpler, life becomes easier, things might just be looking up.

But nothing's ever that simple. Returning from a salvage run in the city, Edgar finds his family gone, taken to the south coast for evacuation by an international task force. Suddenly he finds himself facing a gruelling journey on foot across a devastated United Kingdom. Accompanied by a group of misfits that include a large, hairy tattoo artist and an old man who claims to have run around Australia, Edgar must race against time and overcome his own short-comings, not to mention 100 mile canyons and a very strange council estate, to find the people he loves before he loses them forever.

A vivid, gripping story of hope, long-distance running and how we break the limits of our own endurance.

Annihilation didn't blow me away. Not sure I'll read the other 2.

I just finished Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson, which is essentially World War Z with machines. Thought it was pretty neat.

Just finished Robopocalypse, which, despite the terrible and generic name, was a really good post-robot-apocalypse story.

No.

No.

Just no.

It is one of the worst books I have pushed through, through stubbornness rather than pleasure.

Its like some terrible internet fan fiction which would has no reason to exist on paper. The premise is fine: World War Z with robots. But there is none of the variance in styles that the zombie book has. And the Max Brooks novel is filled with interesting background stuff like how different societies deal with an existential disaster: here it is just a bunch of lazy cliches and cringeworthy dialogue.

The following excerpt is from near the beginning, when the machine becomes self aware, so it is not much of a spoiler:

The man grabs the equipment rack and shakes it. He presses the emergency stop button again and again. His limbs are quaking and his breathing is rapid. He is beginning to understand that something has gone horribly wrong.

"Stop. You have to stop. You're making a mistake. We'll never give up, Archos. We'll destroy you."

"A threat?"

The professor stops pushing buttons and glances over to the computer screen. "A warning. We aren't what we seem. Human beings will do anything to live. Anything."

The hissing increases in intensity.

Face twisted in concentration, the professor staggers toward the door. He falls against it, pushes it, pounds on it.

He stops; takes short, gasping breaths.

"Against the wall, Archos"--he pants--"against the wall, a human being becomes a different animal."

"Perhaps. But you are animals just the same."

The man slumps back against the door. He slides down until he is sitting, lab coat splayed on the ground. His head rolls to the side. Blue light from the computer screen flashes from his glasses.

His breathing is shallow. His words are faint. "We're more than animals."

The professor's chest heaves. His skin is swollen. Bubbles have collected around his mouth and eyes. He gasps for a final lungful of air. In a last wheezing sigh, he says: "You must fear us."

It does not get any better.

Avoid. Or read, if you want to read something which is almost so bad that it is good.

Hopefully The End of the World Running Club ends with the overweight dad having a massive heart attack at some random point while trying to run the length of Britain.

On 14 July 2016 at 19:51, Khrushchev said:

Hopefully The End of the World Running Club ends with the overweight dad having a massive heart attack at some random point while trying to run the length of Britain.

Spoilers ffs! :angry:

Any recommendations for apocalyptic or dystopian future books about climate change and the consequences of it? I'm looking more for something realistic and based on science and what could potentially happen over the coming decades.

1 hour ago, Sapa said:

Any recommendations for apocalyptic or dystopian future books about climate change and the consequences of it? I'm looking more for something realistic and based on science and what could potentially happen over the coming decades.

Not exactly climate change, but the Death of Grass (published in the late 50s) is supposed to be very good. 

At first the virus wiping out grass and crops is of little concern to John Custance. It has decimated Asia, causing mass starvation and riots, but Europe is safe and a counter-virus is expected any day. Except, it turns out, the governments have been lying to their people. When the deadly disease hits Britain they are left alone, and society starts to descend into barbarism. As John and his family try to make it across country to the safety of his brother's farm in a hidden valley, their humanity is tested to its very limits.

On 2 August 2016 at 21:25, Sapa said:

You won't go wrong with this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004OYTBYY/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

It's a brilliant collection of shorts by various authors. Doesn't confine itself to dystopian or apocalyptic (some is even cheerful!) but if there is a better climate change anthology, I haven't read it.

Or listened to it, because I got it on Audible.

Novelwise, you may enjoy The Caryatids by Bruce Sterling. It's the usual Sterling in that he takes his base theme (environmental collapse and remediation in this case) as a launch point to cover pretty much everything going, and is as much a hot mess of random ideas as a tightly plotted story. But you also get more inventive SF on a page than most authors manage in a book.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Caryatids

I very much like The Drowned World by JG Ballard although it's been a long time since I read it and I'm not sure about the scientific accuracy.

*Edit* actually, I'm going to dig it out and read it again when I finish what I'm reading just now.

It's not fiction or really specifically about climate change but I read The Biological Time Bomb by Gordon Rattray Taylor when I was a kid and it shit me up good and proper. Written in 1969 and attempting to speculate how biology would drive change over the coming 20-odd years. It'd be interesting to read it again now and see how much he got right.

Death of Grass is good in a John Wyndham way but I wasn't convinced by the way polite '50s society goes Lord of the Flies pretty much overnight.