[Currently undergoing a rethink]

#2 Aimless

Aimless
  • Members
  • 6025 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:13 PM

POPULAR

PSN Highlights
A work in progress collection of the most interesting games on the service. Titles are listed alphabetically. Click on the name of a game to go to its designated discussion thread, if it has one.

Spoiler

PSN FAQ

Q: It's Wednesday. How come the Store hasn't updated?

A: Whilst the exact time varies, Store updates tend to go live around mid-afternoon UK time. If there's no movement by 5PM then something's probably gone wrong, in which case someone will likely have mentioned it in this thread.

Q: What's the deal with PlayStation Plus content? Do I get to keep it?

A: Any discounted items you purchase are yours to keep, as are the more inconsequential freebies like avatars and themes. However, games and DLC that are entirely inclusive with your subscription — i.e. you downloaded them for free — will theoretically become inaccessible when your subscription lapses; think of it like a rental service.

You may have noticed the use of "theoretically" above. That is because not all inclusive content expires alongside your subscription, some titles you'll get to keep regardless. To see if a piece of content qualifies for this inconsistent exemption — it won't be mentioned in the Store description — press Triangle whilst highlighting the item in the XMB, then select the Information option from the pop-up menu. If there is a set date in the Expires field then that content is tied to your subscription, otherwise it is yours to keep indefinitely.

Q: My God, do I really have to sit through this update? I just want to play the game!

A: Nope, at least not so long as you don't mind playing offline. Just press Circle when the game prompts you to update, then it will boot as normal.

#3 Billy Brown

Billy Brown
  • Supporters
  • 7963 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:29 PM

I was going to suggest a list of recommended titles (for my own selfish reasons as I've not bought anything since PixelJunk Eden) so this is looking great.

#4 df0

df0
  • Members
  • 7450 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:32 PM

Good idea. I am not too keen on adding the price for the following reasons: different zones within Europe (GBP, euro), PS+ discounts, regular discounts. I, for one, can not keep my entries up to date when it comes to pricing. Perhaps we can all agree to use the day-1 price for non PS+ subscribers.

#5 Aimless

Aimless
  • Members
  • 6025 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:45 PM

Good idea. I am not too keen on adding the price for the following reasons: different zones within Europe (GBP, euro), PS+ discounts, regular discounts. I, for one, can not keep my entries up to date when it comes to pricing. Perhaps we can all agree to use the day-1 price for non PS+ subscribers.

Hmm, perhaps you're right and we simply shouldn't list a price at all. For instance I wanted to include the Euro pricing of Joe Danger in the example but a quick Google didn't give me anything. Hell, I'm not 100% about the Sterling cost without turning my PS3 on.

Speaking of prices, I've added the current Store deals into the first post. I did try to do some formatting to increase readability the info itself is from the European PlayStation.Blog but it's still rather horrible so I might have to give it another pass.

#6 Asura

Asura
  • Members
  • 19777 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:12 PM

Online sources for PSN can be quite poor - apparently the lists on Wikipedia, particularly for the PSP stuff, are horrendously outdated.

#7 Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike
  • Committee Member
  • 16847 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:14 PM

Pretty sure there's already a PSN games thread. However, feel free to fill this one and I'll merge them when it gets dug up.

#8 Meatball

Meatball
  • Supporters
  • 4671 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:40 PM

Pretty sure there's already a PSN games thread. However, feel free to fill this one and I'll merge them when it gets dug up.

http://www.rllmukfor...howtopic=177394

#9 Harsin

Harsin
  • Members
  • 15532 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:09 PM

I just wish they'd just finally get around to releasing the last episode of Back to the Future. The EU store seems to get them a completely random amount of time after the US.

#10 Aimless

Aimless
  • Members
  • 6025 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:44 PM

I've added a few games to the highlight section to give people an idea of what I'm aiming for; I don't think any of them are contentious choices, although if you disagree feel free to say why. Likewise the blurbs are off the top of my head, so you're welcome to offer up corrections or rewrites.

As apparently I'm in the mood for making myself work by setting precedents, if you click on the title of a game it will take you to the corresponding dedicated thread if it has one.

#11 Cthulhu Steev

Cthulhu Steev
  • Members
  • 6605 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:48 PM

Every time I think about Flower, or see Flower, I just want to play Flower :wub:

Excellent work on the Noby greeting :)

#12 SharkEnergy

SharkEnergy
  • Members
  • 4127 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:59 PM

Looks like I'll be stumping up some more this week! PS+ 3 month top up, Limbo a discount rate, and then Peggle and Anarchy Rush Hour at those lowered prices! Must resist the Burnout DLC!!

#13 The Sarge

The Sarge
  • Members
  • 9035 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:03 PM

Good work on the thread, Aimless. :)

Shark, avoid Anarchy at all costs. Terrible game, controls are terrible, layout is terrible, pretty much everything about the game is terrible.

#14 df0

df0
  • Members
  • 7450 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:08 PM

Excellent first post, keep em coming. I'll try my best to add some this weekend.

#15 The Sarge

The Sarge
  • Members
  • 9035 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:14 PM

In celebration of the new thread, here's a look at few of the more interesting looking titles coming to PSN this year,

Sideway

Okabu

Payday: The Heist

Journey

:)

#16 Cheyenne

Cheyenne
  • Members
  • 1512 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:17 PM

I did not know Payday was going to be a PSN dealie. Nice.

#17 SharkEnergy

SharkEnergy
  • Members
  • 4127 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:42 PM

Shark, avoid Anarchy at all costs. Terrible game, controls are terrible, layout is terrible, pretty much everything about the game is terrible.

Wow! Thanks for the tipoff. I'd seen it on so many players trophy lists that I thought it must be good but investigating after your comments it would appear its a whores platinum!

#18 Danster

Danster
  • Members
  • 8143 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:23 AM

oooh, it'd be rude not to get some of those Burnout bits especially Big Sirf Island for 2.39

Cheers to the OP

#19 Jimmy Shedders

Jimmy Shedders
  • Members
  • 3070 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:40 AM

Seems like a good place to put this!

Section 8: Prejudice is released next week (27th of July) on the PSN for 12.99 with two extra modes not included in the XBLA relase

http://www.eurogamer...e-dated-for-psn

If you buy it within the first week of release you get Blitz Armor Pack and Overdrive Map Pack for free.
On top of that, the first 1,000 PSN+ users who buy the game will also get the exclusive Hunter Armor as well as a free copy of the original Section 8.

#20 The Sarge

The Sarge
  • Members
  • 9035 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:52 AM

Hmm, Assault has been available in the LA version for a couple of months and Skirmish should be coming later this Summer.

#21 Jimmy Shedders

Jimmy Shedders
  • Members
  • 3070 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:53 AM

Why must you always crush my hopes and dreams?

#22 jonnatar

jonnatar
  • Members
  • 1250 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:20 AM

Here we go.
Spoiler

#23 Aimless

Aimless
  • Members
  • 6025 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:45 PM

Here we go.

Thanks, I've added your entries and resized the images to 640x360 to keep things consistent; blame my OCD.

In other news I've moved the Highlights list to the second post and laid the groundwork for a FAQ beneath it, the idea being that the first post will host the newest info whilst the second is more for reference. It's also to try and make editing things a bit easier, as I was getting lost sifting through all the code.

Does anyone have suggestions for the FAQ?

#24 deKay

deKay
  • Supporters
  • 34199 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:51 PM

Can I ask, as I have before but nobody seems to know the answer (which is bizarre since it is so popular), but does Super Stardust have the into-the-screen between level sections of the original? How similar to the original is it?

Because I loved that but hated the between level bits.

#25 SharkEnergy

SharkEnergy
  • Members
  • 4127 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:36 PM

Nothing good can come of this topic - my wallet is going to eat itself.

#26 Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike
  • Committee Member
  • 16847 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:36 PM

Can I ask, as I have before but nobody seems to know the answer (which is bizarre since it is so popular), but does Super Stardust have the into-the-screen between level sections of the original? How similar to the original is it?

I've never seen you ask that. It's got none of the into the screen bits. It's a modern day twin-stick shooter version of Asteroids in 1080p, with nice mechanics.

#27 SharkEnergy

SharkEnergy
  • Members
  • 4127 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:21 PM

Jellycar 2 mini - available this month for PS+ subscribers...doesn't seem to be available anymore. Any ideas anyone? I know its not exactly prime content, but still...

#28 deKay

deKay
  • Supporters
  • 34199 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:42 PM

I've never seen you ask that. It's got none of the into the screen bits. It's a modern day twin-stick shooter version of Asteroids in 1080p, with nice mechanics.

Well, so was the original (well, the asteroids bit, anyway - it obviously wasn't HD and twin stick on the Amiga would have been a bit unusual), but I wondered how close to that this was.

#29 Cthulhu Steev

Cthulhu Steev
  • Members
  • 6605 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 02:49 PM

The gameplay is more Robotron:2084 than Asteroids/Stardust, you don't thrust and rotate your ship, it's a lot tighter and has a totally different feel. No into-the-screen bits either, just mayhem. It can take an age to play a game when you get good, but there are some timed/bomb only modes to tinker with. The bomb mode is like Every Extend Extra, it's ACEBEST (Possibly even SEXBEST when you hit the zone) mang.

#30 Skid Lee B Bop

Skid Lee B Bop
  • Supporters
  • 3516 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:52 PM

Anyone encountered or know a fix for this problem.

Went to play Superstardust HD today, it says there is an update to 5.01, but before the update is applied it forces a complete reboot of the PS3. If I cancel then the game is only available as a demo. I've tried deleting and redownloading. I can access the full game when not connected to the network.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PSN, PS3, PSP, Vita, PS4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users