• 1053 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:37 PM

Torchlight meets dragon age way way fun

#32 Curtis

Curtis
  • Members
  • 3305 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:07 PM

If you stay in there, it won't. Won't be much to actually do after a while, but...

Very generous demo, actually.

Yup. I've only just got my 45 mins notice. Very much enjoying it. When's it out?

#33 mr_woo

mr_woo
  • Members
  • 8550 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:18 PM

The PC demo is now up, need to download it via Origin.

steam://install/203970 to install it on Steam, so no question as to whether it's coming out on Steam or not.

The official page for it is up now as well and you can pre purchase it. So yep, no doubt whatsoever.

http://store.steampo...com/app/102500/

#34 keineboom

keineboom
  • Supporters
  • 2126 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:34 PM

Yup. I've only just got my 45 mins notice. Very much enjoying it. When's it out?

10th Feb according to Gamefaqs. Just playing through the demo now, will definitely pick this up on release!

#35 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17798 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:41 PM

The official page for it is up now as well and you can pre purchase it. So yep, no doubt whatsoever.

http://store.steampo...com/app/102500/

Worth pointing out that Steam also has the demo, no need to through Origin!

I wasn't really impressed tbh, I really dislike the artstyle (but that is a personal thing) and I didn't like either of the three combat styles. It looks like this is more a Diablo-type ARPG with a traditional (behind the character) third-person view instead of having the camera looking down from above with a suitable third-person combat system added. The game isn't open world like Oblivion either, it's more like one big interconnected world rather than one single huge open area where you're able to go in all directions. I don't think the game is bad or anything like that, I just think that, judging from the demo, this isn't my thing. Back to Path of Exile I go!

#36 Melon_Bread

Melon_Bread
  • Members
  • 3510 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:43 PM

Thought the demo was rather charming in an old fashioned way, and more demos like this please that just give you the first part of the game then let you dick around for 45 mins.

#37 csuzw

csuzw
  • Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:27 PM

I'm a bit unsure about it. Felt like a less polished Fable, right down to the art style. Performance seemed to degrade quite badly as the demo went on too and it finally completely locked up with about 2 minutes to go.

#38 Harsin

Harsin
  • Members
  • 15388 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:54 PM

I'm not sure I can be arsed with another big RPG before Mass Effect 3, I feel all Skyrimmed out.

#39 mr_woo

mr_woo
  • Members
  • 8550 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:19 AM

Really enjoyed the demo but again probably not a day one purchase, I've still yet to properly start Skyrim! I like the combat system and it shows a lot of promise from what I've seen so far and it will be interesting to see how it pans out with weapons you can get and skills you can unlock. I wish the combat was just a bit weightier though. After playing Dark Souls it just feels a bit weak and not as satisfying. I know the whole thing with Alamur is how fast and speedy the combat is with all the combos that you can pull off (and it really can be) but just a little bit more weight to the character and weapons would be appreciated. I honestly think Demon Souls/Dark Souls has ruined a lot of other WRPGs for me, it has some of the most satisfying melee combat in any RPG.

#40 tyagi

tyagi
  • Members
  • 4960 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:36 AM

2.8GB demo download off Steam? jaysus, this had better be good.

#41 Cosmic_Guru

Cosmic_Guru
  • Members
  • 4877 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

I'm a bit unsure about it. Felt like a less polished Fable, right down to the art style. Performance seemed to degrade quite badly as the demo went on too and it finally completely locked up with about 2 minutes to go.

This happened to me the first run through - I was getting a lot of graphical glitches and a final lock up. In that run I chose a bald pirate who managed to get jailed and then cursed in his quest to discover the physical boundaries of the demo area.

In my second run through after I managed to get on-line was fine. I made a female dark elf type who had certain similarities to Christina Hendricks and she managed to complete 2 or 3 side quests in the time (the main quest isn't worth pursuing further). In both cases I majored on finesse with increased damage to daggers and had a sort of slide attack which could be repeated several times which was rather tasty.

I will create an outright fighter type and a mage to explore other side quests.

It's brilliant to have up to an hour (in practice with conversation time and pausing excluded from the timer) to explore aspects of the gameplay so people can make an informed purchased decision.

Huge Fable vibe throughout which is a good thing :wub: :wub: .

Looks very promising indeed.

#42 csuzw

csuzw
  • Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:21 AM

I'll probably give it another go, just so I can complete it and unlock whatever shit it is you get for doing it (which I won't use even if I do get the game). Looking back at it, the biggest problem for me is the UI. It definitely doesn't feel designed for a PC and while the combat is fairly fluid still, the inventory/menu system are horrible. I assume it's better with a gamepad but that's just likely to stop me buying it, rather than switch control type.

#43 Cosmic_Guru

Cosmic_Guru
  • Members
  • 4877 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:26 AM

I'll probably give it another go, just so I can complete it and unlock whatever shit it is you get for doing it (which I won't use even if I do get the game). Looking back at it, the biggest problem for me is the UI. It definitely doesn't feel designed for a PC and while the combat is fairly fluid still, the inventory/menu system are horrible. I assume it's better with a gamepad but that's just likely to stop me buying it, rather than switch control type.

I'm pretty certain I have read the developer's favour using a 360 pad with the PC version.

#44 Sie

Sie
  • Members
  • 1364 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:53 PM

Really enjoyed the PC demo and like others, the game strongly reminded me of Fable (specifically the first one for some reason) which is no bad thing in my book. But I've too many other games to play through before I turn my attention to Amulur so not a day one purchase.

#45 Mr.Crowley

Mr.Crowley
  • Members
  • 2827 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:56 PM

Played through it twice, once as a magic-user and the second as a fighter and despite a few bugs I think it's great. I got completely different loot each time which is gamingcrack for me. Only a few levels in and you get all sorts of cool abilities. I also like that the demo gives you a few little gifts in the full game.

#46 csuzw

csuzw
  • Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:38 AM

Played through it again and this time it didn't crash but mostly because I avoided going into buildings as much as possible. I liked the fact you can skip the intro, although you still got tutorial messages for any new bits after that which were a bit annoying.

I took the magic route this time and didn't really like it. You don't seem to have enough mana to cast more than about 3 spells initially and if you level it up first that drops down to 2. I've never particularly understood why games have spells where mana cost increases in line with damage. You very rarely see the same with physical damage options and all it does is mean you can apply damage faster, with the downsides that you're still doing the same amount of total damage at the end and that a miss is far more costly. That said it did look like if you were to take certain skills and looking at the stats on the gear you get near the start, that by the end of the game you'd probably find all your spells being free. So a bit like Skyrim really. Once I ran out of mana I was down to staff combat which seems to be basically the same as any other melee option (it does seem to have some range but it's so limited enemies seemed to reach melee range before it was effective mostly).

Also very briefly tried the archery but it didn't behave very intuitively to me. It seemed to be impossible to manually target, and it didn't auto-lock very well. Probably just me not being used to console mechanics though.

#47 Cosmic_Guru

Cosmic_Guru
  • Members
  • 4877 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:20 AM

Yes, it's another cool touch which allows you to bypass the tutorial to try out different builds in the demo.

I think I've finally rinsed the demo after 3.8 sessions - done all the doable quests, been in all the dungeons, crafted a rather good flaming greatsword, made a bunch of "mystery" potions which almost killed me and swum all the swimmable water bits. Actually I didn't do anything with spell crafting or enchanting gear cos I didn't find any fragments in that playthrough.

All of the three skill trees have potential. I'm not going to play as a mage but there is a rather nifty "mark and explode" spell which will take out mobs if you are nimble enough, also some pretty effective sceptres for ranged attacks. Bows look the weakest option and maybe the design option of having a small refreshable quiver is designed for players to see this as a back up rather than a main focus of combat. Playing as a fighter I found the harpoon spell/effect which is rather good, but it's another odd design option not to show an equipped shield. So, spoilt rather for choice then.

#48 hanzo

hanzo
  • Members
  • 4545 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:50 PM

Worth pointing out that Steam also has the demo, no need to through Origin!

I wasn't really impressed tbh, I really dislike the artstyle (but that is a personal thing) and I didn't like either of the three combat styles. It looks like this is more a Diablo-type ARPG with a traditional (behind the character) third-person view instead of having the camera looking down from above with a suitable third-person combat system added. The game isn't open world like Oblivion either, it's more like one big interconnected world rather than one single huge open area where you're able to go in all directions. I don't think the game is bad or anything like that, I just think that, judging from the demo, this isn't my thing. Back to Path of Exile I go!

This is how I felt about it too. It definitely had some sort of polish and trace of quality, but like RPG copy-cat stuff even though it's all 'there' it all ends up a plain, charmless and boring exercise for me. The game's vibrant, though, I'll give it that. But ultimately that doesn't strike a chord with me when the characters are sooo predictable and standard, and they all inhabit the kind of 'corridors linked together' world rather than something excitingly free-roam. For many RPG-lites like Fable this can be OK, but it's starting to feel more and more dated and artificial.

On a less important note, it feels like the main character floats around all over the place when running about. There's no weight to the characters at all when moving around, yet the combat is fairly meaty. It was an odd contrast :) Hmm. It's nice to see generous game time in a demo like this though, for real.

#49 Aimless

Aimless
  • Members
  • 5980 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

Downloaded the demo last night but so far I haven't gotten past the first loading screen despite several attempts; it doesn't lock up, but there's no HDD activity going on just the spinning loading icon. I might understand if I was playing the PC version but I expect more of a PS3 game.

So, impressions: the title music is okay.

#50 God Is A Girl

God Is A Girl
  • Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:27 PM

Couldn't disagree more.

I took my 45 minutes and made every last minute count... and some FIVE hours later all I wanted to do was keep playing! Fable II was a steaming pile compared to this, but of course I spent five hours in the company of an underwear-clad maiden. Make of that what you will...

Preordered tomorrow! Oh, and 'tis rather handy that I've unlocked quite a bit of swag for Mass Effect 3. Amalur - bit of a naff title, but can't fault the responsive (and obsessively-compulsive) gameplay. 100% impressed!

#51 El Spatula

El Spatula
  • Members
  • 6590 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:06 PM

Loving the demo. Will probably buy as I wub games like this.

#52 Unofficial Who

Unofficial Who
  • Members
  • 15430 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:24 PM

I spent 100 minutes with this. The performance did seem to degrade as I went further with flickering and my armour/charachter glitching and disapearing in conversations. I wonder if it's too much for my aging machine? (Built in 2008-09 with a 3D card upgrade in 2010.) I can turn post-processing off but...it looks so lovely with it on!

I could have played for much longer...hours in fact but I didn't want to spoil the game for myself! I've put it on my wishlist because let's face it...it's an awful awful name for a game. I can't even remember it now!

Quick question...the demo I played was on Steam and I was able to opt out of using an EA account in it.

Does the full thing require Origin to run?

#53 tyagi

tyagi
  • Members
  • 4960 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:17 AM

Has anyone played the demo of this on 360 yet? I'd be really interested to hear about the differences between PC and 360.

#54 Teeohbee

Teeohbee
  • Members
  • 2742 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:23 AM

Only played for five minutes but it all feels a little unpolished.

Did this used to be an MMO or something? Because it feels like one.

#55 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 36402 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:26 AM

That was my impression. It seems alright, but I can't shake the feeling of it being a dodgy Wow clone. It's quite polished in some respects (and not in others!) but it's rather bland.

#56 Cosmic_Guru

Cosmic_Guru
  • Members
  • 4877 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:59 AM

Has anyone played the demo of this on 360 yet? I'd be really interested to hear about the differences between PC and 360.

I was playing on 360 - as I said I had a few graphical glitches and my first run froze up but after that I had 3 full 45 minute plays without significant problems. I thought the controls were fine with the inventory a little on the clunky side but at least it shows which categories have new items and, as with Dragon Age, items can be sent into the junk category to keep things as clean as possible. Combat was fluid and responsive and shows a lot of promising variation.

Did this used to be an MMO or something? Because it feels like one.

No, but it likely will be one in the future with the SP game as the taster / tester.

#57 The Bag

The Bag
  • Members
  • 3709 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:28 AM

I liked it, I thought the combat was good especially as you levelled and got to play with different combos depending on the timing of button presses. Very Fable, very WoW but given how long I spent in the skill trees it's one I think I'll be getting.

#58 Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike
  • Committee Member
  • 16669 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:18 AM

Played the PS3 demo of this last night. It's a hard one to judge, what with them admitting straight up that the demo is ropey and old build and buggy and outsourced.

I got that same Fable 1 vibe from it that several of you mentioned already, but everything felt clunky - running through dialogue felt painful in a way I find it hard to put my finger, not being able to get over tiny steps in the world felt odd, and of course the bugs.

And the world felt a lot more generic and less interesting than Fable's. And the lockpicking and disarming minigames were a bit shit.

But, I did quite enjoy it! It's colourful and a pleasant place to be. There seem to be nice options to build you dude the way you'd like, I could see the system working as you level.

Hmm.

#59 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 36402 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:32 AM

No, but it likely will be one in the future with the SP game as the taster / tester.

Curt Schilling used to pop up on the instance podcast talking about his 'top secret mmo' at his new company. I'm wondering if that got turned into this.

#60 mr_woo

mr_woo
  • Members
  • 8550 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:24 AM

The MMO is still being made by 38 Studios. What happened was Curt Schilling formed 38 Studios who are working on an MMO, they then also bought Big Huge Games from THQ who of course are in dire financial straits at the mo. They were working on a single player RPG so they changed it to the world of Amalur and a story in that world to introduce people to the lore etc. So they are separate entities with BHG going to be working on single player games in that universe. I quite liked the demo and enjoyed the combat but it could have done with being a bit more meaty. After playing the superb Dark Souls, it felt a bit weak. Still fun mind.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RPG, 360, PS3, PC

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users