#1 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 35763 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:58 PM

Posted Image

Release '2012'

SYNOPSIS

Beyond the limits of civilization lies an island, a lawless place ruled by piracy and human misery, where your only escapes are drugs or the muzzle of a gun. This is where you find yourself, trapped in a place that's forgotten right from wrong, a place that lives by the principles of violence. Discover the island's bloody secrets and take the fight to the enemy; improvise and use your environment to survive. Beware the beauty and mystery of this unexplored paradise and live to outwit its roster of ruthless, desperate characters.
You'll need more than luck to survive.

PRESS RELEASE

Today, during a press conference at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), Ubisoft® announced the development of Far Cry 3®, marking the return of the highly-acclaimed video game franchise. Development on Far Cry 3 is led by Ubisoft Montréal with the support of Ubisoft Shanghai and Massive Entertainment. Far Cry 3 will be available for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft®, the Sony® PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Windows® PC in 2012.
With Far Cry 3, players step into the shoes of Jason Brody, a man alone at the edge of the world, stranded on a mysterious tropical island. In this savage paradise, where lawlessness and violence are the only sure thing, players dictate how the story unfolds, from the battles they choose to fight to the allies or enemies they make along the way. As Jason Brody, players will slash, sneak and shoot their way across the island in a world that has lost all sense of morality.
"Far Cry 3 brings something new and unexpected, while still building upon the foundations of excellence that are inherent to the Far Cry brand," said Dan Hay, producer at Ubisoft Montréal. "Whether you're already a fan of the Far Cry series or jumping into the franchise for the very first time, you're going to be blown away by the gritty story and epic adventure we're going to deliver."

SCREENSHOTS

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

PREVIEWS

Joystiq
PC Gamer
Gamespot

VIDEOS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0bvTZtEt_0
http://youtu.be/uLrVJtiS4iU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuseKGafCvo&feature=player_embedded

#2 Dinobot

Dinobot
  • Supporters
  • 11098 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:00 PM

Haha!

"Which random is going to be quick enough to start a thread"?

BOB HOSKINS QUICK!!!

#3 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 35763 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:01 PM

Lol Bob Hoskins!

I'm looking for vids now.

#4 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 35763 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:03 PM

Ubisoft is to revive the Far Cry series with a major new project underway at three separate studios.
Far Cry 3 is being built at Canadian mega-studio Ubisoft Montreal, as well as Ubisoft Shanghai and Swedish subsidiary Ubisoft Massive.
Like its predecessor, Far Cry 3 will be built with the Dunia engine, the Ubisoft-owned tech based on CryEngine 2.
“Far Cry 3 brings something new and unexpected, while still building upon the foundations of excellence that are inherent to the Far Cry brand,” said Dan Hay, producer at Ubisoft Montréal.
“Whether you’re already a fan of the Far Cry series or jumping into the franchise for the very first time, you’re going to be blown away by the gritty story and epic adventure we’re going to deliver."

#5 mr_woo

mr_woo
  • Members
  • 8357 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:06 PM

You better keep it like Far Cry 2 mother fuckers. Just make some improvements to the formula but you better give me the FC2 formula of achieving objectives any way I want with a shitload of weapons.

#6 exwhyzed

exwhyzed
  • Members
  • 5961 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:07 PM

Follow up to the 2008 GOTY. I'm in.

#7 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 35763 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:08 PM

Still waiting for vids to show up, bear with me!

#8 sky_captain

sky_captain
  • Members
  • 3696 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:08 PM

Actually play test it this time.

#9 imp

imp
  • Members
  • 9874 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:09 PM

Can anyone say if Clint Hocking is involved?

#10 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 35763 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:09 PM

Far Cry 2 was brilliant, and very carefully crafted. How silly to say it wasn't playtested.

#11 Bojangle

Bojangle
  • Members
  • 11203 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:14 PM

Can't wait for this, looked great from the short bit they showed off.

#12 The Sarge

The Sarge
  • Members
  • 9035 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:14 PM

:)

#13 Spacehost

Spacehost
  • Supporters
  • 28580 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:15 PM

Far Cry 2 was brilliant, and very carefully crafted. How silly to say it wasn't playtested.

Exactly.

#14 Dinobot

Dinobot
  • Supporters
  • 11098 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:16 PM

Actually play test it this time.

Report; no clue.

#15 sky_captain

sky_captain
  • Members
  • 3696 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:20 PM

It was buggier than a holiday on Klendathu.*

*Opinion based on 360 version. :lol:

#16 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 35763 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:21 PM

Buggy?!

Nah mate! It was definitely an acquired taste, but I played it for 20 hours on 360 and twice as long again on PC and never saw any glitches or bugs.

#17 jonnatar

jonnatar
  • Supporters
  • 1250 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:21 PM

Make all the speech super fast and clipped again please.

#18 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 35763 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:23 PM

durbadurbadurbdurbdurbdurbdudbrudbr gun!

duradurbadurbdurbdurbdurbdurbdurbr do we have a deal?

#19 AK Bell

AK Bell
  • Members
  • 4879 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:24 PM

I loved Far Cry 2. They had better not "fix" anything for this one.

But I'm a bit disappointed by the video. It doesn't looks as good as Far Cry 2's environments, the characters have gone a bit too low-poly like the other Ubisoft games...and I guess the awesome fires are gone too :(

Still going to kick ass. Completely agree with FC2 being GOTY 2008

#20 Eighthours

Eighthours
  • Members
  • 14957 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:25 PM

Get rid of the silly checkpoints. That is all.

#21 Vulgar Monkey

Vulgar Monkey
  • Members
  • 17013 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:29 PM

Gunplay seems like it may be a bit slicker, but it all looks a bit too stylised for me.
FC2 had the grittiness just right.

TBH though, when I saw the opening bit I was just hoping it'd be the first third of Predator.
The film, that is, not the Far Cry 1 spin off.

#22 Stanley

Stanley
  • Members
  • 14717 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:33 PM

It looks superb. FC2 wasn't perfect but it's the most immersive game of it's type this generation, and by that I mean FPS.

#23 Spacehost

Spacehost
  • Supporters
  • 28580 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:35 PM

Get rid of the silly checkpoints. That is all.

How about you get rid of the platforms in Mario too?

#24 Dinobot

Dinobot
  • Supporters
  • 11098 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:37 PM

It was buggier than a holiday on Klendathu.*

*Opinion based on 360 version. :lol:

So the testers fix the bugs these days?! Wow!

#25 Stanley

Stanley
  • Members
  • 14717 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:39 PM

Get rid of the checkpoints and you get rid of the tension. The tension is the thing that keeps you glued to the enviroment, unblinking, completely absorbed. FC2 required a bit of patience but man did that pay off.

#26 exwhyzed

exwhyzed
  • Members
  • 5961 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:42 PM

It was fun trying to avoid the checkpoints. So you'd end up hiking through the middle of nowhere to meet up with your ally, and shit yourself when a Zebra ran across you. Brilliant.

#27 Comrade

Comrade
  • Members
  • 13183 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:52 PM

I hope I don't get into fifty boring fights when all I'm trying to do is drive somewhere. The fact that they mentioned that everyone on the island is insane doesn't give me much confidence though. Sounds like a plot excuse for their rubbish AI.

#28 mr_woo

mr_woo
  • Members
  • 8357 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:54 PM

Gametrailers said they are being shown another part of Far Cry 2 tomorrow at a different part on the island, so worth keeping an eye out for it.

#29 Garibaldi

Garibaldi
  • Members
  • 4718 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:55 PM

Looks fantastic. Heavily scripted of course but I'm willing to believe that was just for the benefit of the show. Looks like they've tightened up the A.I so that stealth is a viable option, which is pretty exciting as stealth was a blast in FC2 despite it being unfairly skewed against the player. Also having a more solid central plot with a slightly larger measure of linearity would be a big plus. Much though I loved FC2, too often it felt like you were bouncing between missions with no idea as to how it would accomplish your main goal apart from 'this guy told me that some other guy might know something, but now I'm working for this guy', which didn't exactly create forward motion.

#30 Dr Derek Doctors

Dr Derek Doctors
  • Members
  • 2426 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:56 PM

Looks cracking although some bits seem a little too canned (like the shooting out of the helicopter before it gets blown up). Love that the villain is properly mental. Really nicely captured animation in that bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users