#1 The Sarge

The Sarge
  • Members
  • 9035 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:10 PM

Debut Trailer

Screens

Spoiler

Konami's announced flight sim Birds of Steel, a new IP set to land on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Developed by Gaijin Entertainment, Birds of Steel is described as "a breath-taking combat simulator featuring some of the most pivotal air battles of World War II", including the battle of Midway, Guadalcanal, Coral Sea, the historic attack on Pearl Harbour, the Mediterranean Maltese island, Germany's Ruhr Valley, and others.

Birds of Steel offers 20 historical and a wealth of fictitious missions, spanning eight campaigns, and players are given access to over 100 planes from the entire axis and allied forces rosters, which are promised to have "faithfully recreated" in terms of handling, capabilities and weaponry.

The classic Spitfire, P-51D Mustangs, and Messerschmidt 109 are all there (thank goodness), and Konami's promising a "breath-taking level of detail", with the weather effects of each war zone "brilliantly brought to life", while battle-scarred planes are susceptible to damage and will suffer in terms of control accordingly.

As for the online component, the flight sim will support both co-op missions and online dogfights.

"Gaijin are busy creating a series of absorbing missions for online users, with team death matches, co-op strike missions, airfield raids, and tournament play all set to throw open the skies for the most intense aerial combat ever to grace the PlayStation3 and Xbox 360 systems," says Konami. "Squadrons can even edit their finest hours to showcase their skills, and share them with their peers."

Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH GM, Martin Schneider said of the game: "For far too long, first-person shooter fans have been tied to the foot soldier point of view, but we aim to bring the seat-of-their-pants skill and daring of dogfighting and aerial combat to a wider audience.

"Birds of Steel pushes the throttle of realism by giving fans what they've been missing when it comes to co-operative online gameplay, incredibly realistic visuals and game dynamics, while spanning the entirety of the war's air campaigns."

http://www.computera...birds-of-steel/

Looks good. :)

#2 Eighthours

Eighthours
  • Members
  • 15116 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:36 PM

Looks fantastic!

#3 BrerLappin

BrerLappin
  • Members
  • 6646 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:43 PM

Great news, IL2 BoP was a great arcadey/sim shooter. With this and Ace Combat Assault Horizon looking great, my aerial combat needs are well and trully sated this year :D

#4 H_S_H_24

H_S_H_24
  • Members
  • 1777 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:45 PM

Should really get round to playing Birds of Prey properly.

#5 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17809 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:48 PM

Can't help but think of Duke Nukem with that title. Birds of Steel! Birds birds birds birds - birds of steel!

#6 BrerLappin

BrerLappin
  • Members
  • 6646 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:51 PM

Can't help but think of Duke Nukem with that title. Birds of Steel! Birds birds birds birds - birds of steel!

:lol:

Game title officially ruined :lol:

#7 The Sarge

The Sarge
  • Members
  • 9035 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:54 PM

GC Trailer,

:)

#8 Seamonster

Seamonster
  • Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:54 PM

Here's some in game footage as well:

I loved IL2:BOP so I'm all over this.

#9 mr_woo

mr_woo
  • Members
  • 8552 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

In case anyone didn't know this actually came out a few weeks ago! Completely under the radar and unnoticed from what I can see, both here and in the US. Can't afford it right now but will do eventually. Can anyone recommend a good flightstick I can use on PC/360/PS3 ?

#10 Kinketsu

Kinketsu
  • Members
  • 3371 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:22 AM

I liked the demo that released last week. It's just basically Birds of Prey with more variety but I fairly enjoyed that too.

#11 Seamonster

Seamonster
  • Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

It's depressing that this game isn't getting more love. It's received positive reviews all over the place, but the complete lack of marketing seems to have killed it.

It's one of those games that oozes love for the subject matter from every pore. The music is great, it's got Stephen Fry narrating linking cut-scenes giving the real world background to each set of campaign missions, it looks stunning at points, and it gives you a real insight into what being a WWII pilot must have been like.

Gaijin do have a knack for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory though - The 'main' campaign isn't as good as the one in Birds of Prey as it's exclusively set in the Pacific so you're flying over the ocean for most of the time in a handful of planes (both US and Japanese) that are designed for high-speed attacks rather than dogfighting. In contrast, Birds of Prey's campaign jumped all over the place with more varied mission types and planes.

It's only when you stray from the Historic Campaign (there are online dynamic campaigns across the globe, a host of more realistic single missions, online tournaments and versus modes etc.) that you start to realise how good this game is. I tried a Spitfire for the first time last night and it was like driving a porsche compared to the campaign's muscle cars. If they'd released a re-run of of the Birds of Prey compaign using this engine, people would be going nuts for it...

Luckily there are rumours of the Birds of Prey maps being released for this as DLC.

In short I love it, but it's not for everyone.

#12 Boozy The Clown

Boozy The Clown
  • Members
  • 12498 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

There's a demo of this up on Xbox, not sure how long it's been there but I had a shot of it last night and it is quite incredible. I was shit at it as I have always been with flying games but the atmosphere and sense of place and scale was incredible. It's the kind of game I wish I could be good at just to experience the thrills of being in full control of the aircraft and manage to pull of fantastic feats of derring do.

Try the demo of this, as stated above it deserves a lot more love.

So is this actually out to buy ?

Shame on the forum.

#13 Down by Law

Down by Law
  • Members
  • 3650 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

Shame on bloody wank Konami more like for sending it out to die with absolutely zero advertisement! There aren't even any screenshots of it on the marketplace for it.

#14 Boozy The Clown

Boozy The Clown
  • Members
  • 12498 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

There is a substantial demo and this forum is supposed to be above needing a multi million dollar ad campaign to suss out a good game though. So shame on the forum indeed.

#15 Nagrub

Nagrub
  • Members
  • 1555 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

Spent quite a while playing the demo of this today. I'd not known anything about the game at all - I didn't know it was made by the same people who made IL2 Birds of Prey (somehow even the title didn't twig for me...). It was literally only when I got to the menu and noticed that all the typography was identical to the other game that I realised they were made by the same guys. As said before, it was fantastic. I still fire up Birds of Prey once a month or so to play through a few missions.

I was really impressed by the amount of controls available to customise in the menu - You didn't get anything like that in Birds of Prey. Although I couldn't see a way to change the free look to clicking in the right stick - it's set to holding down on the dpad and then using the right stick, which just seems mental as you have to use both thumbs. When I'm playing in simulator mode that's all I ever do - look around and hope I can see something... Then try to get close enough to see if they're on my side. What can I say, I'm a glutton for punishment.

Speaking of which, there was a terrible problem with pop in the last game. When you first got a visual on planes in the distance, they were fuzzy blobs. As you drew a bit closer they popped into detail - but this meant that at a glance planes we're more visible at extreme distances than they were at medium range. Idiotic. Anyway, that seems to be fixed in this game. All in it looks a lot better.

The multiplayer for the last game was dead about 2 weeks after launch - as niche titles often do. But when it was there it was good. I only ever played it on Simulator mode as it's so much more rewarding. When you shot someone down you really felt like you earned it, and when you got shot down you didn't feel cheated - just out flown. It was great because if you push the planes too hard you're just going to spin out the sky, so when it gets desperate there's a lot of pressure not to fuck up. There were problems though - like what you're meant to do when you run out of ammo - Just ditch it?

I'm not even subbed to Live Gold anymore, and this month I'm more skint than ever. I might try and trade in a load of old stuff for it, or maybe just wait a few weeks for the price to be slashed. But either way, I'm sure I've missed the multiplayer buzz already which is a bit of a shame.

#16 Boozy The Clown

Boozy The Clown
  • Members
  • 12498 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

Just played through the tutorials in the full game. I've now learned torpedo bombing and dive bombing along with landing on an aircraft carrier. So I get ready to go to war but first get a history lesson from none other than Stephen Fry.

The full game has a brilliant replay function where you can watch your plane from a massive variety of angles while the stunning lighting reflects off the endless ocean into infinity.

I just hope more people will pick this up over time, it has been criminally overlooked and woefully distributed to retail. I tracked a copy down in Games Centre which is a small Indy chain in Scotland, maybe England too.

Certainly when I asked in GS today they had never even heard of it. I got the look back. The one you'd get if you asked for fish and chips in an opticians.

Really impressed with it so far.

#17 silique

silique
  • Members
  • 2986 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

I'm a little less excited by this. Firsty, I think it's a very dull theatre. It was fine back in the early 90s, where a big blue sheet with a few green blobs on it was sufficient to represent Midway, but now it looks a bit dull really. I don't think it's a huge step up from Birds of Prey, visually or especially (and most disappointingly) with the online stuff.

I thought the online "dynamic" campaigns would be a bit like Domark's AV8B, with a battlefield alive with real players, dynamic mission objectives and a persistent world. What you get is a glorified random mission generator with some co-op.

So, more of the same really, only with more blue and Stephen Fry.

#18 Boozy The Clown

Boozy The Clown
  • Members
  • 12498 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

I wish you'd said something before I spent £38 quid on it, posted how much I was enjoying it and then 11 minutes later boom you show up giving it the big "meh!"

edit: Talk about being shot down in flames.

#19 silique

silique
  • Members
  • 2986 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

£38? Bloody hell, use a code and get it from zavvi or the hut for £25ish. I think it's back in stock on 360 as well.

Don't get me wrong, I quite like it. It's certainly the best flight sim on console, and it isn't all blue blue blue, but I dunno. It's just a shame we have quite a few reasonable flight sims now and yet none of them have ever really created something dynamic and exciting beyond static go here, bomb that, shoot them down missions. Even Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe and Gunship 2000 had a bit more pizazz about them, and they're about 250 years old now.

#20 silique

silique
  • Members
  • 2986 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

Incidentally, I now have the PS3 version of this as well at the 360 version, and it is markedly superior in some areas. Ground textures are significantly better close up, there's slightly less pop in and the entire game seems to play a little smoother. The 360 version does have the edge in anti-aliasing, which is slightly more convincing, and as usual the colour balance is slightly different. It's probably nothing that would bother you unless you read Digital Foundry comparisons with religious fervour, but it is noticeable, especially on take off and landing, which looks a bit of a mess on the 360, but looks reasonable on the PS3.

I know nobody really cares, but I thought I'd mention it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users