Film

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#121 tec1122

tec1122
  • Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

Muppet Man and the barber shop quartet were solid fried gold.

#122 Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy
  • Members
  • 10301 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:59 PM

Finally seen this. Excellent film. I'm currently trying to knock up a film review to do it justice.

With regards to Muppet Christmas Carol, Michael Caine was never invited onto the TV show, despite wanting to be on it. I expect there was a waiting list anyway, back in the day.

#123 Alex W.

Alex W.
  • Supporters
  • 50824 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:53 AM

Muppet Man

I had forgotten. :lol:

#124 Haribo

Haribo
  • Members
  • 4801 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:12 PM

Yeah the explosion pressing that caused must have cost a fair old whack.

They make that joke in the film but really, you don't see anything. Just a load of smoke and rubble. Unless I'm recalling it incorrectly, which is quite likely.

#125 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19258 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:18 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the explosion is a little nod to the unproduced, The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made, whereby Gonzo blows the entire budget on the opening credits and they have to cut corners during the rest of the film.

#126 Daley

Daley
  • Members
  • 13952 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

Take Manhattan is definitely worth a watch and From Space isn't too bad either but not up to the quality of a number of other Muppet films (particularly The Muppet Movie, The Great Muppet Caper and Christmas Carol).

These are £4 in HMV. I bought the first for the little one. Yes the little one.

I will watch it too obviously.

#127 Tunisia

Tunisia
  • Members
  • 8372 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

Saw this last night with the gf, it was spectacular. Had never actually seen the muppets before except snippets of Christmas Carol in festive periods gone by- I suspect I missed a few references and cameos.

#128 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41440 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

I either didn't realise what this was in the film or I was too busy pissing myself laughing at it that my memory has blanked it out, but it's so, SO fucking brilliant. It's also now my ringtone.

#129 Silent Runner

Silent Runner
  • Supporters
  • 13273 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:54 PM

Somebody has decided to do a Muppet version of The Wicker Man in comic form.

Full comic here

The stuff of nightmares.

That's the work of some kind of insane genius right there.

Totally loved the film. Walters 'growing up' montage at the start totally slayed me. The prom night photo was priceless.

I was a little worried that this was going to be some-kind of knowing, post modern Muppet film. But with the exception of a few jokes, that didn't happen. It was a complete joy from start to finish. We really need to complain to cinema chains about these dusty cinemas, though.

#130 Blobcat

Blobcat
  • Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:03 PM

Saw it last night with Asura, loved it.

There was a little kid next to us who kept asking his mum where the Muppets were a lot in the first half of the film which I admit was the only little downer in the film that they did not feature the likes of Piggy and Gonzo throughout but it was still thoroughly enjoyed it

Poor Asura missed out on one of my favourite bits when he popped out for the loo

Spoiler

Walter's reaction to overhearing the 'plot' was one of my highlights :D

Overall? 8.5/10.

#131 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19258 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

A deleted scene, featurette and some bloopers from the forthcoming Blu-Ray.

#132 Luke

Luke
  • Members
  • 17837 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

Went to see this with my wife and kids at the weekend.

I thought it was great, and me and a dad next to us were laughing away through most of it, but I'm not really sure what the kids made of it. I'm fairly sure they wouldn't have understood most of the jokes, especially the many self-referential movie type jokes ("lets speed it up with a montage", "lets travel by map", "oh good, I was worried this would be a really short movie", "almost like I'm explaining a key part of the plot", etc...).

Also, about half way through the girl next to us asked her dad when it was going to start, which is similar to a comment above about a kid asking where the muppets were.

I bloody loved it, though.

#133 Headache

Headache
  • Members
  • 3952 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

The Muppets will return!

Disney is moving forward with a sequel to "The Muppets" after the return of Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy and friends went on to earn more than $154.8 million at the worldwide box office.
James Bobin, who helmed "The Muppets," and co-writer Nicholas Stoller will write the script for the sequel. First film took home the Oscar for best song on Sunday for "Man or Muppet." Bret McKenzie penned the tune.

Kermit and Miss Piggy had already announced the sequel while on an international tour for the first film, saying that the follow-up was officially moving forward during a Feb. 13 appearance on ITV's "This Morning" daytime talker.

Jason Segel, who was instrumental in getting the first film made and co-wrote the script with Stoller, may star in the sequel, but his various projects (which include CBS' "How I Met Your Mother" and films "The Five Year Engagement" and "This Is 40") are keeping him too busy to pen the sequel.

"The Muppets" was produced by David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman.

#134 mayor_mike_haggar

mayor_mike_haggar
  • Members
  • 7693 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

Am I the only one who thought it felt more like a muppets movie which had been passed through a glossy, tight-focus, Disneyfying filter? There was none of the usual disorganised background chaos that you usually get going on with henson's stuff. I enjoyed it but it wasn't quite right, somehow.

Also needed more rizzo.

#135 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41440 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:40 PM

Yes you are, you shallow husk of a man.

154m isn't that much, it must have cost pennies to make. And they must have made a tonne from all the merch.

#136 Peter St John

Peter St John
  • Members
  • 1893 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:39 AM

Also needed more rizzo.

I liked the film, but I did feel the hand of a writer who grew up with the Muppets and then stopped paying attention at the beginning of the 90s. Like them or not, characters like Rizzo and Pepe (who at least got one scene with dialogue) have been important members of the gang from Carol/Space onwards, so it seemed harsh to pretty much remove them whilst Walter/Mary Sue got so much screen time. Having said that, I am looking forward to the next one!

#137 Cosmic Squirrel

Cosmic Squirrel
  • Members
  • 25778 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

was rizzo the rat actually in this? i saw some rats but no rizzo. my house mate was very dissapointed in that!

still, it was a decent enough film and i really cant see why there was so much controversy over the storyline. Stupid americans.

#138 Goose

Goose
  • Moderators
  • 27072 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:23 AM

Segal has ruled himself out of acting in the sequel too (he'd already said he wouldn't co-script) - says after five years of working on the project he's all muppetted out.

Shame, because you could really tell that first film was a passion project for him.

#139 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 35766 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

was rizzo the rat actually in this? i saw some rats but no rizzo. my house mate was very dissapointed in that!

still, it was a decent enough film and i really cant see why there was so much controversy over the storyline. Stupid americans.

Sadly Rizzo the rat died in suspicious circumstances in 2009.

#140 Calashnikov

Calashnikov
  • Members
  • 23575 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

Punch Teacher looked like a fucking brilliant TV show.

#141 lankysanchez

lankysanchez
  • Supporters
  • 2084 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

Saw this on Saturday and bloody loved it. Probably more than the little kids in the cinema did. Loved the Muppet Man song, although it raised a 'Have you decided yet?' comment from the lady, predicably enough ;)

Needed more Beaker though. But then, everything needs more Beaker.

#142 bradigor

bradigor
  • Members
  • 17980 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

Took Lucas to see this on Sunday and was blown away by it. Exactly what I want from a Muppet Movie. Have to echo others on just how much love comes through from Segel.

#143 Goose

Goose
  • Moderators
  • 27072 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:21 AM

Concept poster

Attached Files

#144 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19258 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:33 AM

Blooper reel:

#145 Retroguy

Retroguy
  • Members
  • 1487 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

Saw this on DVD on Saturday (thanks Tesco Entertainment!), still think it's amazing.

If I had to make one criticism though, it's that the writers didn't really know what to make of the Amy Adams character. The same with her songs- they both seemed pretty short and a little cringeworthy. They only stand out since the others are so good though!

Waiting to watch this through for a third time with friends this weekend.

#146 Liamness

Liamness
  • Supporters
  • 11384 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:38 PM

Blooper reel:

That one went down, but this works;

#147 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41440 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:58 AM

Showed up a couple of days ago but not had chance to rewatch it. I thought I'd mention the soundtrack is £5 in Sainsbury's so that was fucking yoinked like a motherfucker. It's so, SO good.

#148 ___

___
  • Members
  • 14260 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:03 AM

Ye gods, it's amazing.

♫ I've got everything that I neeeeeed, right in front of me ♫

#149 JohnC

JohnC
  • Supporters
  • 40777 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:03 PM