Film

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#1 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19281 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:02 PM

Winding Refn is an interesting director, I can't say I've enjoyed every film he has made but they've always been memorable at the very least. His latest film has just played at Cannes and early buzz seems to be pretty positive (with some comparing it to Michael Mann's Thief).

Posted Image

Synopsis: A Hollywood stunt performer who moonlights as a wheelman discovers that a contract has been put on him after a heist gone wrong.

The film has a great cast including the aforementioned leads, Gosling and Mulligan as well as Bryan Cranston, Christina Hendricks and Ron Perlman.

There isn't a trailer yet but a couple of clips have been released (note: although the YT video says trailer it really isn't):

The clips don't really give anything away but they are shot nicely and have great music which always bodes well.

Cannes early buzz

#2 Goose

Goose
  • Moderators
  • 27787 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:17 PM

Just seen this on /film. They reckon it's one of the best received films of the festival so far, along with The Artist and We've Got to Talk About Kevin. Looks good!

#3 SpaceJump

SpaceJump
  • Members
  • 1597 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:01 PM

Yes, looking foward to this. I like the clips, glad to hear it's getting a good reception at Cannes.

#4 SpaceJump

SpaceJump
  • Members
  • 1597 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:43 AM

Really liking the looks of this, can't wait to see it. I really like Gosling, he's become one of my favorite actors and Refn is a director i really like.
Drive Red Band Trailer

#5 SpagMasterSwift

SpagMasterSwift
  • Members
  • 2452 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:57 AM

I was sold after seeing a short clip off a getaway, but that cast is amazing!

#6 Simmy

Simmy
  • Members
  • 15867 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:40 PM

I want this to come out NOW.

My most anticipated film in years.

#7 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19281 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:46 PM

New NSFW international trailer that probably shows too much.

Looks great though.

#8 Goose

Goose
  • Moderators
  • 27787 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:05 PM

Refn and Gosling are working together on their next flick, Only God Forgives, and on Logan's Run.

This looks excellent.

#9 Silent Runner

Silent Runner
  • Supporters
  • 13772 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:48 AM

I read the book (Drive by James Sallis) this is based on years ago and I really liked it. It reminded me a lot of the Walter Hill film Driver – in both we don’t know the name of the main driver character.

This looks pretty decent but Ryan Gosling is one of those actors whose popularity I don’t understand.

#10 chebenski

chebenski
  • Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:59 PM

If there are any East London dwellers, we (that's Little White Lies, the mag I work for) are co-hosting a screening of Drive on September 6 at the Classic Car club on Old Street. It's with Dr Martens. I think you can apply for tickets through their site, and we'll be giving a few away.

#11 GrumpyLittleBear

GrumpyLittleBear
  • Members
  • 2137 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:32 PM

Out here this weekend. Torn between seeing it in the cinema, where jarring edits are common, or waiting for the DVD. Not bothered by missing a bit of skin, it's just the cuts often are as tidy as Edward Scissorhands stroking a kitten and mess up the rhythm of a film. Either way, it looks bloody great. Scoring 77/100 on Metacritic too.

#12 jon_cybernet

jon_cybernet
  • Supporters
  • 2666 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:43 AM

Out here this weekend. Torn between seeing it in the cinema, where jarring edits are common, or waiting for the DVD. Not bothered by missing a bit of skin, it's just the cuts often are as tidy as Edward Scissorhands stroking a kitten and mess up the rhythm of a film. Either way, it looks bloody great. Scoring 77/100 on Metacritic too.

You're in luck if you're in the UK - it was passed with no cuts made:

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/AFF281761/

In fact, it's extremely rare for cuts to be made these days.

#13 GrumpyLittleBear

GrumpyLittleBear
  • Members
  • 2137 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:35 AM

I should have specified 'here' is In the UAE, where it's rare for a film not to be cut ;)

#14 Goose

Goose
  • Moderators
  • 27787 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:46 PM

This is reviewing exceptionally well in the US.

#15 Marmite

Marmite
  • Supporters
  • 2986 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:16 PM

I was at the event at the Classic Car Club in Old Street last week to see this and enjoyed it a lot.

Its massively moody and oozes cool, especially during the first scene and many of the subsequent ones with Ryan Gosling as the lead character with a pretty dark (and violent) side. Also boasts a quality soundtrack and some excellent stunt driving :)

My only real criticism would be that the director seems to use the long, slow lingering shot a bit too often and as a result I sometimes just wanted him to get the hell on with it.

Still, definitely recommended. Go see it :)

#16 Spacehost

Spacehost
  • Supporters
  • 29998 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:03 PM

Saw the first half of the trailer before Troll Hunter and thought, "Meh, this looks terrible". Saw the second half of the trailer and immediately thought, "WTF, this looks brilliant!".

So, I'll be off seeing it.

#17 P-dogg

P-dogg
  • Members
  • 1462 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:38 AM

The director just said fucking on BBC Morning News and didn't seem at all bothered while they were trying to apologise on his behalf. It was amusing but he seems like a complete ball bag.

Film looks great, mind.

#18 Ivan Danko

Ivan Danko
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:14 PM

#19 Jimmyzilla

Jimmyzilla
  • Members
  • 6766 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:17 PM

I saw this last night and it can be a bit too slow at times but the darker scenes are so good!

The font for the title and credits felt a bit jarring though

#20 K

K
  • Members
  • 20845 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:17 PM

I saw this just now, and it is absolutely brilliant; one of the best films I've seen in absolutely ages. Beautifully shot, with lovely long takes and long, pregnant pauses in scenes - whole sections are almost dialogue-free, with meaningful glances and long, lingering silences interspersed with gorgeous shots of LA.

It reminded me a lot of Steven Soderbergh in general, and The Limey specifically - the Cliff Martinez score, the LA setting, and the sparse, almost cold feel to the film (along with
Spoiler
). Drive goes in a very different, much bleaker direction, though - it takes the little sub-genre of existentialist crime movie (The Limey, Thief, The Driver) and pushes it into outright nihilism.

About the only downsides were a plot that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, which doesn't really matter that much in the grand scheme of things - it's a mood and character piece, the plot is subordinate to the story. And the soundtrack, while brilliant, has some song lyrics that are occasionally a bit too on the nose. Apart from that, it's absolutely stunning. One of my new favourite films.

#21 Pob

Pob
  • Moderators
  • 12595 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:07 AM

This sounds amazing, but is it really brutal? The older I get the less I can take that kind of thing at the cinema. Given that Refn's previous film was Valhalla Rising I'm a bit concerned.

#22 K

K
  • Members
  • 20845 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:24 AM

There's not much violence, but what there is is quite nastily portrayed - which is correct for the film, as it means the violence is scary and repellent, but might turn a few stomachs. It doesn't linger, but there were some sharp intakes of breath in the cinema.

#23 Ben

Ben
  • Supporters
  • 10240 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:07 PM

Agree with everything K says about it, it's all about the atmosphere - almost dreamlike. I loved the long takes and Gosling's character's near-silence, I didn't find it slow at all personally. The violence was used how films should; short and sharp - it's nasty and shocking as real violence is, Animal Kingdom was similar and all the better for it. There were a couple of walkouts in my screening as the film progressed though but there's nothing too beyond the pale for a modern 18.

Will have trouble at the end of the year deciding between this, Animal Kingdom and The Tree of Life as my film of the year. Wonderful.

#24 FishyFish

FishyFish
  • Supporters
  • 11756 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:46 PM

Absolutely loved this. Beautifully atmospheric and I think cult classic status beckons. Ryan Gosling's performance is wonderfully minimalistic in his use of dialogue.

I didn't feel the violence was any worse than many other films, but probably the more impactful because it's not some dumb actioner. Not graphically any worse that in something like Game of Thrones on TV though.

Oh, and this Youtube comment on one of the soundtrack songs made me :lol:...

i bought a scorpion jacket and pretended to be ryan gosling last might driving in my car. i put my car into the ditch and wrecked the front end of my ride. plus i had to take a shit walking home,so i used the scorpion jacket. im not gonna pretend anymore,i just get hurt

#25 Roboplegic Wrongcock

Roboplegic Wrongcock
  • Members
  • 6387 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:14 AM

Whoa saw this yesterday and it's fantastic the atmosphere is so cool i had only watched a scene from the movie a couple of months ago. Even avoiding the official trailer so it had more impact when i finally saw it.

Spoiler

Ryan Gosling was ace as usual,little dialogue but when he speaks you know he means it. His character switches are superb i think some people in the audience were not expecting it to be that violent but it made sense and Gosling was actually scary when he got down to business.

#26 Capwn

Capwn
  • Members
  • 12695 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:20 AM

Holy crap, this is my first really enjoyable film of 2011. Beautiful direction and cinematography and along with the soundtrack it's ridiculously cool. Even the pink text and that typography in the opening credits :wub: Such a refreshing, polished and dark film. It's the first film I've seen of Gosling, curious to watch others now just to appreaciate what he's doing here.

Loved it.

#27 dragz

dragz
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:41 PM

I liked this. But, unlike some, I don't think it's amazing. There's no real depth, and as a result, the combination of the soundtrack, some of the visuals and even the font make it seem, ever so slightly, "style over substance". It's a bit like watching a classy film version of GTA: Vice City. But, if that sounds in any way appealing, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

#28 K

K
  • Members
  • 20845 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:07 PM

I liked this. But, unlike some, I don't think it's amazing. There's no real depth, and as a result, the combination of the soundtrack, some of the visuals and even the font make it seem, ever so slightly, "style over substance". It's a bit like watching a classy film version of GTA: Vice City. But, if that sounds in any way appealing, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

I agree the film starts off with a very glossy, superficial coolness to it, but I think this sheen has a purpose behind it.
Spoiler

#29 Roboplegic Wrongcock

Roboplegic Wrongcock
  • Members
  • 6387 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:37 AM

Found this nice article about the opening in Drive

I really liked ‘Drive.’ If you’ve ever been unlucky enough to get embroiled in a rambling conversation about ’80s thrillers with me, then you’ll know that — as a child of the indy video store era — I love that genre. Title screens flash with neon, character actors crack skulls, fake blood is in abundance and when the films are at their best, there’s an inherent taint of sleaze. You can clean up the audio and video all you like, taking it to Blu-ray quality, but that sleaze is too tough to shift. ‘Drive’ is Nicolas Winding Refn’s tribute to that era and he gets it pitch perfect, while shaving off the crappier aspect, so those vintage Clubmasters of yours stay tinted. The urgency of Refn’s ‘Pusher’ trilogy seemed at odds with the cinematic rebirth of his often-ponderous ‘Valhalla Rising’ but here the deliberate pace is pitched perfect, indicating that he’s that he’s opted to (Michael) Mann up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

If we’re going to filter down my favourite ’80s thrillers, I favour films like 1980′s ‘American Gigolo’ and 1981′s ‘Thief’ (cited by Refn as an influence on ‘Drive’), where occupations clash and situations engulf the protagonists. Michael Mann’s ‘Thief’ with its stylised LA reveals a heart of darkness in James Caan’s diner conversation with Tuesday Weld, discussing a “not-give-a-fuck” mindstate that’s explosively manifested towards the film’s conclusion. It’s an amazing scene that’s out-darkened by the burst of bile from mob bawse Leo later on, but it’s a classic film. James Caan’s Ric Flair style approach to wooing is also incredible, “I wear $150 slacks, I wear silk shirts, I wear $800 suits, I wear a gold watch, I wear a perfect, D-flawless three carat ring. I change cars like other guys change their fucking shoes. I’m a thief. I’ve been in prison, all right?” On that tailored note, both ‘American Gigolo’s Julian and ‘Thief’s Frank are both kitted out for the screen by Giorgio Armani.

‘Drive’s descent into nihilism echoes elements of ‘Thief’ but there’s a sense that — had Refn had the opportunity — Michael Mann favourites Tangerine Dream would’ve scored it. The German ambience turned up to shattering levels underpinned some classics. Alongside ‘Thief’ they also contributed music to 1983′s ‘Risky Business’ to match Giorgio Moroder’s ‘American Gigolo’ work and 1977′s massively underrated William Friedkin ego-led mercenary masterpiece, ‘Sorcerer’ — Friedkin’s hard-boiled classic with extra hair gel, 1985′s ‘To Live and Die in LA’ is cited as another of Refn’s reference points, and while it lacks Tangerine Dream, it got Wang Chung on the score.

But that pink script that makes up the opening credits of ‘Drive’ is pretty compelling too. What’s the lineage of that? Pick a film from between 1980 and 1985 and you’re liable to find a reference point. The colour evokes ‘Risky Business’s opening titles, but it’s even more evocative of the lettering of the film’s poster. The scrawled ‘Sorcerer,’ ‘Thief’s script and minimal font for the leads (prior to the realistic 9-minute safe cracking sequence that sets off the film`), ‘American Gigolo’s appropriately fancy way with the letters and the fluorescent blocks of ‘To Live and Die in LA’ against a sunny backdrop may have played a part too.

Provided you can wear your reference points on your scorpion jacket sleeve without descending into a mosaic of homages, there’s no shame in taking it back to the VHS era’s most overlooked neon-noirs and ‘Drive’ pulls that off perfectly.

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it_N30ThtvA

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aRNdgiq1ZU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8s42fbKjtM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZnKXbpO9PM

link

There is something so eternally cool about 80's opening sequences.

#30 womblingfree

womblingfree
  • Members
  • 16706 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:56 AM

Everyone go see this, absolutely excellent.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Oh and...

Spoiler

Best soundtrack I've heard in a long while too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Film

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users