360 PS3 PC Racing

• Please log in to reply
835 replies to this topic

#31 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41263 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:27 AM

Slightly Mad Studios have revealed the first five officially-licensed cars to make it into their developing C.A.R.S. title.

The title’s choice of cars will be enriched by five fully-licensed vehicles, including a road going supercar, a sports prototype and some quirky lightweight sports car machinery.

Included are the Gumpert Apollo Sport, the Palmer Jaguar JP-LM and three versions of the Ariel Atom, including the mighty powerful V8 version at the sharp end.

C.A.R.S. Licensed Cars List

GUMPERT apollo sport
Palmer Jaguar JP-LM
Ariel Atom
Ariel Atom Mugen
Ariel Atom V8

For much more in-depth info on these five car models, check out the WMD website.

In related news, race driver and former “Stig” Ben Collins has shared his first impressions of the pre-alpha version of C.A.R.S.

Collins works as a Physics & Handling Consultant on the team and has been impressed with the physics of the early versions, comparing it to professional-grade simulators he’s been using as part of his race driver career:

So far my impression of this sim is that the physics are very similar to the Le Mans / F1 simulator we’ve been using this year at Wirth Research for the Le Mans Series, which is very impressive.

The graphics are mega and track realism is extremely close for such an early stage in development. If this is the early stages the end result could be stunning.

Every interested sim racer can become Team Member for a one-time price of 25€ to enjoy weekly development builds and up-close access to follow the development progress of C.A.R.S. For more info on pricing and benefits, check out the WMD website.

#32 SharkyOB

SharkyOB
  • Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:55 AM

I don't think theirs is F1.
CART maybe.

Are you agreeing with me? That was my point.

#33 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41263 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:12 AM

A team after my own heart...

http://www.wmdportal...n-project-cars/

#34 SharkyOB

SharkyOB
  • Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:48 AM

That SP/300.R looks very nice indeed!

Hope there's fully supported livery editing in this, rather than the bodge job in iRacing.

#35 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41263 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:07 AM

Yeah i think it'll soon be time for me to buy the dev version...at least as a Junior for $10.

They've already got Willow Springs and an early version of Spa in the game (i'm not sure thats early as in years or development!)

#36 Bunta

Bunta
  • Members
  • 2122 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:45 AM

I'm using iRacing atm to practice for a charity event at Silverstone next year and just heard about this - pretty interesting to see how it turns out.

#37 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41263 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:50 PM

From Simply Mad.

"@slick1ru2 Any console offerings in the future?" <- Project CARS will be available on 360, PS3, Wii U, and PC

No i don't know if thats got any truth in it (Ian Bell are you reading?) - but its always been my dream for someone to go sim on a console and keep the fire burning.

#38 Meerman

Meerman
  • Members
  • 23785 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:23 AM

Why are there no hands at the wheel in the videos above? :wacko:

#39 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41263 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:42 AM

Firstly, simmers don't like hands.
Secondly, its only in Beta - i don't know if they're going to add hands but if you knew what was in the PC version's options (like full FOV parameters, and you can even choose how much virbration simulation you want).
Anyway, my points is they may add it as an option.

Of course, i don't expect you to care but now you've got a new wheel, you should probably look at some real sims to test it ;)

I'm now a tester on this, having paid my dues. I can say it retains the rawness of NFS Shift 2 and in some respects feels similar but no doubt theres more work to be done in this area.

#40 Meerman

Meerman
  • Members
  • 23785 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:08 AM

Simmers don't like on-screen wheels either. So why draw that as well? Either draw hands and wheel together, or don't draw them at all. Now it looks like the car's being driven through telekinesis.

And I am going to try more sims with my new wheel. Just need to figure out which ones.

And why are you saying 'real sims'? Forza 4 is a real sim, more than any Forza game before it. It's just a more accessible one than you'll ever find on PC.

#41 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41263 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:11 AM

Well, unless your going to pay for Iracing then go with Rfactor OR even GTR2 OR Race Injection (which is on Steam - GTR2 has different physics to Race but theres not masses between them).

Failing that....Live for Speed is still amazing.

Rfactor 2 is due soon though if you want to wait and save some cash or you can buy CARS now and download all the Beta's as they're released for 25 euros (i'm not sure it includes the actual game, i'd imagine so).

Meh...i'll chat to you later if your about.

#42 Meerman

Meerman
  • Members
  • 23785 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:36 AM

The only thing that's holding me back is the whole fiddliness of PC gaming. I have connected my PC to my TV via the 2nd monitor method and got the sound hooked up as well so that's already sorted, but now I have to figure out how to connect the wheel to the PC from where I'm sitting on the sofa. Then I need a PC racing sim, install it, fuck about with the settings and the whole shebang that goes along with it. Now if I had oceans of free time then I would, but I don't. Hence I like the plug-and-play nature of console gaming. Therefore PC gaming has to wait. I may have some time for it come the winter holidays.

As for a chat - I won't be available much in the coming two evenings. Friday perhaps?

#43 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41263 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:23 AM

Yeah, i'll be about then.

#44 Dudley

Dudley
  • Supporters
  • 16035 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

Forza 4 is a real sim

You're adorable. :Hug:

Incidentally until this month's build, iRacing had a wheel but not hands. This appears to be what the community prefers. They've now added the option of hands.

#45 Meerman

Meerman
  • Members
  • 23785 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:10 PM

Okay, that's it. Instead of me telling you that you're adorable as well (you probably are), let's throw some facts on the table about what it is that makes something a sim racer, and what doesn't. And why FM4, according to the 'PC MASTER RACE' snobs, isn't. That would make for far more interesting reading and debate than "it is" and "not it isn't". I'll get the ball rolling:

FM4 is a sim, BECAUSE:

• The cars sound almost exactly like their real counterparts.
  • The cars look almost exactly like their real counterparts, modelled to the tiniest detail.
  • The cars feel as if you're actually driving them (apart from the inertia you would feel in a real car of course).
  • Its track environments look almost exactly like their real-life counterparts.
  • It allows players to use a wheel, pedals and shifters as control imputs, just like real cars do.
  • It uses an advanced physics modules for suspension, damage, aerodynamics and tyres.
  • It uses as high as possible frame refresh rate to make the driving feel as natural as possible.
  • It adds even more to the car enthusiasm mix than driving alone, via autovista, auction house, storefront, paint shop, upgrading, tuning, photo mode and club features. Where else can you find such a complete package (no pun intended)?

In short, it SIMULATES real car driving and automotive enthusiasm as closely as possible.

So enlighten me why FM4 isn't a sim. Is it because not every car is fishtailing from the off and has very difficult handling? Then prepare to be shocked - most cars are perfectly controllable in real life, even the ones with some 'kick' in the back end. Or is it because the PC MASTER RACE think that racing sims will never, ever have a place on consoles?

:P

#46 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41263 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

I can't be arsed to argue - i was winding you up - and anyway this isn't the place.

--------------------

Back to topic...some more vids

AI on hard demo...

WMD Team Member Scorzilla has put together a very impressive video, showing off the A4 DTM car in Project CARS with some stunning video footage.
The A4 is one of the cars ready to drive for WMD members, alongside several historical Formula cars, a Le Mans Prototype and other challenging machinery such as a Shifter Kart.

(note the slidy cars...to my knowledge DTM's shouldn't handle like that!)

Did i mention they've now got the Stig as a game tester?

#47 RFT

RFT
  • Members
  • 2024 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:47 PM

If I could do one thing it would be to banish the terms "Sim" and "Arcade" when referring to motorsports games. it's just not a useful distinction these days and hasn't been for some time, but people get REALLY hung up on it.

I recently re-installed Papyrus's NASCAR 2003 on my home laptop as I had a bit of an oval-racing itch. FM4 is far closer to the physics experience of that (still highly-regarded, and the basis of iRacing) game than it is to PGR.

#48 Meerman

Meerman
  • Members
  • 23785 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:48 PM

Yes, I'm easy to wind up. Especially when I've had too little sleep. ;)

Good game looks good. Apart from the lack of driver hands. :P

#49 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41263 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:52 PM

If I could do one thing it would be to banish the terms "Sim" and "Arcade" when referring to motorsports games. it's just not a useful distinction these days and hasn't been for some time, but people get REALLY hung up on it.

I recently re-installed Papyrus's NASCAR 2003 on my home laptop as I had a bit of an oval-racing itch. FM4 is far closer to the physics experience of that (still highly-regarded, and the basis of iRacing) game than it is to PGR.

The crashes in Nascar are amazing. Theres very little that has bettered that IMO. Even with todays racing games.

#50 Meerman

Meerman
  • Members
  • 23785 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

Steve, looks like I'm staying in tonight. Let's have that chat.

#51 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41263 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:29 PM

Apparently SMS have got the license for Brands, Oulton Park, Snettertona and......get this...Cadwell Park.

Fucking win.

#52 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41263 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:29 AM

I love this guy...Badger should do something like this...

#53 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41263 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:20 AM

Eurogamer preview

Not much, but a note on the caeer mode..

Such diversity is what the career mode's built on, and Slightly Mad's looking to create a single-player mode as compelling as anything seen since Codemasters' excellent Grid. Governed by an in-game calendar, you'll have to manage your career, starting off in karts and choosing whether you progress into tin-tops, single-seaters or off-roaders. "Basically, there are no stars, there's no XP - there's none of the traditional gamey things," assures Tudor, "We said the way to do an authentic racing game is to look and do what real racing drivers do."

#54 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41263 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:01 AM

Slightly Mad Studios have released a new development build of their WMD-powered Project CARS title and kicked off an exciting hot lapping contest to go along with it.

Since it’s the first Friday of the month, build 106 is now available for all members, including Juniors. The build includes several significant improvements, spearheaded by the brand new Caterham R500 Superlight.

The British lightweight sports car is powered by a 263hp engine, giving the car an impressive power to weight ratio that makes it a favorite of every sports car lover.

Furthermore, the new build also introduces the leaderboard feature that allows Project CARS users to track their lap-times and compare their performance to the rest of the community.

In related news, the studio has just launched a hot lap competition in co-operation with gaming website Eurogamer. The player setting the fastest time on the short Watkins Glen layout in the Caterham R500 Superlight gets to visit Slightly Mad Studios’ London office to design his personal dream track with the SMS team.

For more info on the competition click here, all members including Juniors can join the contest. Junior membership is available for the one-time price of 10€ and entitles users to monthly development builds and up-close access to the Project CARS development process in the WMD forums.

:wub:

As a fully paid up member i get Beta Access every week until release and i'm really enjoying it.
The physics are certainly more simulation based and easily on par with GTR2 (prehaps not quite as loose yet).
Its certainly harder to drive/play then the Race/raceroom series - for example if you come of the gas quickly you'll cause the car to spin so you really have to manage your footwork on the pedals.
Second to that, it retains the graphical fidelity of a certain other series so it looks very gritty but the cockpits and tyres look amazing in HD.
The Atoms are quite something to look at (being all mirroed in effect) but the vintage racing cars are stunning in both sound and look.

#55 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41263 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:08 AM

I think F4 is a great game, but theres a marked difference in physics simulation. I largely agree with you on the PGR comment though. F4 is MUCH looser in tactile tyre feel IMO.

#56 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41263 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:50 PM

Its not finished yet but check out how great Bathurst looks...

And Imola...

And finally what i'm playing...

#57 JPR

JPR
  • Members
  • 6839 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:05 PM

This is looking and sounding fantastic, RPS put some pictures up this morning which look stunning, Original and larger versions here.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#58 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41263 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:04 AM

:facepalm:
Thought the cars were handling a little hard (harder then GTR2 anyway). Just discovered i'd uninstalled my Logitech drivers to play NFS the Pun (else that doesn't work). Wheel was set at 360 degrees so corrected that and its mindblowing.

And if you thought GRID or whatever did hard crashes - i mean, theres no debris yet and it still hurts. But its sooo raw and the cars are a dream.
The Caterham i still a bitch though.

#59 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41263 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:00 AM

Here's their current render of Bathurst in the Lotus 68'...

And a later one in the V8 RS...

Check out the dip - almost puts your heart in your mouth.

#60 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41263 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:44 AM

New build. Nothing much to see you may think. Apart from one thing.

Client Version increments for all affected by recent physics changes for cars requiring leaderboard reset
CDeferredRenderingHelper – only set the specular irradiance map if it is enabled
Ambient only shader fixes
Shader fix for missing brake/light flares (DX9 and DX11)
New camera config for Bathurst
New physics per the Ben Collins thread

I can't comment on anything else my account will be closed, suffice to say its feeling very, very nice and theres muchos, highly technical chat about the physics.
I should post a film but i don't know how yet.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 360, PS3, PC, Racing

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)