Rllmuk Reads...

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#91 Swallow

Swallow
  • Supporters
  • 6999 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:06 AM

Just wait for a book you're already interested in or already own to turn up and join in the discussion with that, I don't think anybody is tied into contributing every month. Needless to say, I hope all your RL stuff works out.

#92 AK Bell

AK Bell
  • Members
  • 4945 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:34 AM

Had hoped to join in this but we had to move flat pretty quickly and I kissed bye bye to all my disposable income.
Probably won't be able to join in until 2012 :(

Get yersel down to a library!!!

#93 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16545 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:23 AM

Just wait for a book you're already interested in or already own to turn up and join in the discussion with that, I don't think anybody is tied into contributing every month. Needless to say, I hope all your RL stuff works out.

Yeah, no-one's obligated to participate each month! I've still got to get around to reading most of these picks, and one of the ones I have read and really love (Catch-22) I didn't even contribute to the discussion on. Like a dick.

#94 Daley

Daley
  • Members
  • 13952 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:33 AM

Had hoped to join in this but we had to move flat pretty quickly and I kissed bye bye to all my disposable income.
Probably won't be able to join in until 2012 :(

I've got every book out of my local library. But as others have said it's no obligation to sign up, keep up or even contribute to the threads. I have just started last months book today and so haven't posted in that or this month's thread. If you do fancy picking a book later, or anyone else wants to get their name on the list just post here.

If not, keep reading in secret. :ph34r:

#95 Daley

Daley
  • Members
  • 13952 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:48 AM

I'd be interested tooooo. Thankee.

Does anyone know who Manda is or how to get in contact with her. She has been selected to pick the next book but hasn't responded to my message and according to her profile hasn't been online since August. I can scratch her from the list and pick someone else but thought i'd give her a chance to reply first.

#96 Daley

Daley
  • Members
  • 13952 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:14 AM

If I don't hear anything by tomorrow I will pick someone else.

#97 Daley

Daley
  • Members
  • 13952 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:43 AM

If I don't hear anything by tomorrow I will pick someone else.

Manda is out. New person has been informed.

#98 Daley

Daley
  • Members
  • 13952 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:37 AM

Danster has chosen the next book (December).

Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges

Will create the thread closer to the time.

#99 Danster

Danster
  • Members
  • 7981 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:34 AM

I was in two minds about choosing that book or one of my more favourite populist authors: A John Grisham, Andy Mcnab* (shock!), Iain Banks or Terry Pratchett. But, it is impossible to tell how many of you have read these types and as they are popular (natch) that could be a bit crap.

So I chose one of my favourite "classical" / "literary" writers that, perhaps, not too many of you may have read. Jorge Luis Borge was an Argentinian who was taught English from an early age, he was schooled in Switzerland, returned to Argentina, worked at the University of Buenos Aires and eventally returned to Switzerland where he died in 1986 aged 86.

Posted Image

He was a libertarian of sorts and had a great dislike for communism and facism equally, mostly due to his experiences of both. labyrinths is a collection of stories that often deal with the unreality of literature and includes the Library of Babel which is possibly my favourite, that or Three Versions of Judas. I hope you all enjoy it. :)

*Andy Mcnab gets a rolled eyes sneer from most of the intelligentsia but frankly, if you want to read about someone being screwed over by the secret services whilst doing their dirty work for them, AND with an air of realism that flows only from experience, then he is the man. Remote Control is the place to start.

#100 Swallow

Swallow
  • Supporters
  • 6999 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:42 PM

I for one am glad you picked Borges and not one of the others. I love having a reason to read more of him.

#101 Daley

Daley
  • Members
  • 13952 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:43 AM

New thread is up.

http://www.rllmukfor...howtopic=255585

#102 SMD

SMD
  • Members
  • 20357 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:16 PM

Does anyone know who Manda is or how to get in contact with her. She has been selected to pick the next book but hasn't responded to my message and according to her profile hasn't been online since August. I can scratch her from the list and pick someone else but thought i'd give her a chance to reply first.

Hey, just wanted to say sorry on behalf of Manda. The reason she hasn't been online since August is because she moved here from Canada and she's been super busy settling in. Once things calm down, she says she'd like to talk part again.

I didn't know about this and don't come into this board so didn't know you were wondering where she was.

#103 Daley

Daley
  • Members
  • 13952 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:04 AM

Hey, just wanted to say sorry on behalf of Manda. The reason she hasn't been online since August is because she moved here from Canada and she's been super busy settling in. Once things calm down, she says she'd like to talk part again.

I didn't know about this and don't come into this board so didn't know you were wondering where she was.

No worries. When she is ready tell her to post in here and I will re-add her to the list. :)

#104 Daley

Daley
  • Members
  • 13952 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:18 AM

New book has been picked.

hoot has picked Down the Rabbit Hole by Juan Pablo Villalobos.

It's officially February's book as the January one got lost in PMs over Xmas and with the person selected no longer being involved so I will put up the new thread in a week or two.

#105 Daley

Daley
  • Members
  • 13952 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

New thread is here.

#106 Daley

Daley
  • Members
  • 13952 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

Does anyone know Caz-chan? She has been picked for the next book and has not replied to my PM.

#107 Daley

Daley
  • Members
  • 13952 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:35 PM

OK change of plan again. New person has been informed.

#108 Daley

Daley
  • Members
  • 13952 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:52 AM

New thread here.

Ben has picked Florence and Giles.

#109 Danster

Danster
  • Members
  • 7981 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:37 AM

Hey guys, I may not have read every one of the books sugggested, but I would hate to see these threads die! I have all the books I've not read on my to read lists and always liek to add to that. Plus, there are people who haven't had a chance to choose a book yet, could we have another one please?

#110 Daley

Daley
  • Members
  • 13952 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:53 AM

Hey guys, I may not have read every one of the books sugggested, but I would hate to see these threads die! I have all the books I've not read on my to read lists and always liek to add to that. Plus, there are people who haven't had a chance to choose a book yet, could we have another one please?

Sorry my fault. The last person to be picked didn't reply and I completely let it slide. Since Fenton didn't get back to me I will strike him off the list and pick the next person and get this moving again.

Cheers.

New person has been sent a message, hopefully this can get back going again.

I have read almost all the books. Halfway through Florence and Giles and have Waiting For The Barbarians reserved at the library.

#111 Daley

Daley
  • Members
  • 13952 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:15 AM

Updated Rllmuk Reads members:

hoot
fenton
Ben
Manda
OMGJones
toythatkills
Laine
Neg_Stalker
Bushtopher
Swallow
Rudi von Starnberg
Daley
Zapp$ter

camps
Fondue
Danster

Caz-chan
Yozhik

#112 Bushtopher

Bushtopher
  • Supporters
  • 3105 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:49 AM

That's quite a culling! I must admit that I've been pretty bad at keeping up to date recently, but that's mainly due to the amazon daily deal - they went through a period of having lots of stuff I wanted to read, and I've not caught up (yet!).

#113 Swallow

Swallow
  • Supporters
  • 6999 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:58 AM

I'm still a "member"! I've only been struck through (I hope) cos I already picked a book.

#114 Daley

Daley
  • Members
  • 13952 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:26 AM

Yes that list shows who has picked a book or has asked to come off the list. You fall into the former category. :)

The un-marked names are people still to pick.

I have picked one person for this month and have two scrunched up post-its in my desk draw. Once that's done we can start again if people are up for it or just start fresh as all the original people may not want to go again.

Personally it's been great. I am utterly shit at picking what to read so it's been brilliant to have things picked for me.

#115 Bushtopher

Bushtopher
  • Supporters
  • 3105 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:14 AM

I'm slightly nervous about what to pick when it comes to my turn......

#116 Danster

Danster
  • Members
  • 7981 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:31 AM

Great, I am behind but all the books picked have been excellent so far and I have them ear-marked to read. It creates a great list for anyone new to come to as well.

#117 Daley

Daley
  • Members
  • 13952 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

New thread is here:

http://www.rllmukfor...sglass-geishas/

Updated list.

Updated Rllmuk Reads members:

hoot
fenton
Ben
Manda
OMGJones
toythatkills
Laine
Neg_Stalker
Bushtopher
Swallow
Rudi von Starnberg
Daley
Zapp$ter

camps
Fondue
Danster

Caz-chan
Yozhik

Just Laine left, and she has previously told me she hasn't been involved as much as she would have liked so may not pick so we might be done. I have read all the books so far and wouldn't say no to organising another if anyone else wants to go again?

#118 Danster

Danster
  • Members
  • 7981 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:25 PM

I'm up for it. I've still got all the ones I haven't read on my to-read list.... :)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users