Rllmuk Reads...

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#31 Bushtopher

Bushtopher
  • Supporters
  • 3173 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:28 AM

For me, it is massively more convenient and means I actually read a lot more than when I didn't read on the Kindle. And so far, most books I want to read are on there. Sure, there are some which aren't, but there are enough that I do want to read that it's not a problem.

And it isn't imposing a limitation - can still pick up a real book if I so wish - just have a preference to read on the Kindle instead.

Oh - and surely the Kindle decreases the impact of Waterstones, Tesco etc dictating what people read? It's much easier to self publish to a large audience on the Kindle, and given most of the large publishers have stupid pricing for eBooks, I end up buying more books from smaller publishers that don't nowadays.

#32 Eats hoops and leaves

Eats hoops and leaves
  • Members
  • 27549 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:36 AM

Well unless you're computer literate to a certain degree you're limited to what Amazon deems okay for you to read. Which, so far, seems to be quite a slim selection.

Self-publishing has always been terrible and I don't see that changing with a digital delivery method.

#33 Flub

Flub
  • Supporters
  • 11871 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:44 AM

Well unless you're computer literate to a certain degree you're limited to what Amazon deems okay for you to read. Which, so far, seems to be quite a slim selection.

What is this shit Hoop? Apart from a few scattered instances where Amazon have pulled stuff like kiddy fiddling manuals what on earth do Amazon have to do with the publishers not jumping full speed into ebooks?

Anyway. This is the wrong thread for this. Can we take it over to the ebook thread in offtopic and fight like dirty animals?

#34 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 17595 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:47 AM

I'm with Hoop on this one. Restricting it to books that are on Kindle is rather... limiting.

#35 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19301 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:47 AM

I like the Rllmuk Reads... idea, hence why I've now changed the topic title.

I've added a few sign-up names to the opening post but if your name isn't down and you would like to be please reply here.

Regarding Kindle - I've not really looked into e-books much myself, I had assumed the selection was really good but if it isn't I think a Kindle rule probably isn't a good idea for the time being. Seeing as the two pro-Kindle people so far (hoot and bushtopher) are happy for paperback only books to be included I will leave the current guidelines as they are.

If I can get a few more people to sign-up I'll then randomly choose somebody to pick the first book so we can begin this thing in May.

#36 Bushtopher

Bushtopher
  • Supporters
  • 3173 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:51 AM

I guess it depends on what you want to read. I've not found the Kindle selection to be limited at all - the digital pile of unread books on my device is testament to that. In particular, I'm enjoying catching up on some of the 'classics' I've been meaning to read for some time - e.g. Heart of Darkness, although not enjoying it as much as I was expecting. In fact, maybe that could be an option for the first 'Rllmuk Reads....' book?

#37 Eats hoops and leaves

Eats hoops and leaves
  • Members
  • 27549 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:21 AM

My name isn't in the first post!

#38 Bushtopher

Bushtopher
  • Supporters
  • 3173 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:23 AM

Neither is mine!

#39 Swallow

Swallow
  • Supporters
  • 7029 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:51 AM

I'll get in on this too. It's nice to have slightly more drawn-out discussion on a title than what the reading journal thread allows.

#40 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19301 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:56 AM

All added.

#41 Eats hoops and leaves

Eats hoops and leaves
  • Members
  • 27549 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:46 PM

So who's gonna choose the book? I wouldn't mind Heart of Darkness.

#42 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19301 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:51 PM

I'll give it a couple more days and then pick a name at random from the list. I think doing it by committee each month is probably going to be needlessly time consuming and potentially limiting in the types of books we get.

#43 toythatkills

toythatkills
  • Members
  • 12018 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:58 PM

One thing to be careful of: we need to make sure when books are chosen that there's something worth discussing within them. Like, The Road works because of it's unique style of writing and ambiguity in places, so it promotes discussion. Something where the only responses are "I like it," or "I don't like it," not so much.

#44 Eats hoops and leaves

Eats hoops and leaves
  • Members
  • 27549 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:03 PM

My summary of The Road: I didn't like it.

#45 Flub

Flub
  • Supporters
  • 11871 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:12 PM

One thing to be careful of: we need to make sure when books are chosen that there's something worth discussing within them. Like, The Road works because of it's unique style of writing and ambiguity in places, so it promotes discussion. Something where the only responses are "I like it," or "I don't like it," not so much.

Who would decide that?

#46 toythatkills

toythatkills
  • Members
  • 12018 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:24 PM

The person choosing the book just needs to be aware of it when they're choosing something. I'm not saying we should ever reject something that someone chooses, just that people should choose books that will generate discussion about something.

#47 Dannon

Dannon
  • Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:39 PM

I could be interested in giving this a go. I don't read enough books really, I normally read a few over a few months and then have about 6 months off reading and I'm about read for my next lot.

I don't fancy picking one to start with so could I be excluded from having the possible first choice please.

#48 AK Bell

AK Bell
  • Members
  • 4983 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:06 PM

Can anyone take part if we have the time without having to put our name into the hat?

#49 Dannon

Dannon
  • Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:06 PM

Can anyone take part if we have the time without having to put our name into the hat?

Put your name in the damned hat!

#50 AK Bell

AK Bell
  • Members
  • 4983 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:08 PM

Put your name in the damned hat!

I'm not well-read or clever enough to have the grown up responsibility of picking a book

#51 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 17595 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:16 PM

I'll sign up. I don't know if I'll get around to participating with every one, but if it's not on a BOOK OF THE MONTH basis then that's better for me, I think. I got a few interesting reads out of the last attempted Book Club thing.

#52 Bushtopher

Bushtopher
  • Supporters
  • 3173 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:17 PM

I'm not well-read or clever enough to have the grown up responsibility of picking a book

Pick something from the Amazon top ten list :)

I'm hoping this will be for fun, enjoyable reads too - not just serious, prententious books. A mix would be good.

For example, I don't know how many people on here will have read Riders by Jilly Cooper, but it is surprisingly good! (I was forced to by my girlfriend!).

I'm never going to be asked to choose a book now, am I.... :unsure:

#53 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19301 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:39 PM

Anybody can take part in the discussion, putting your name in the hat just allows you to be on the list to pick a book.

#54 Laine

Laine
  • Moderators
  • 19729 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:43 PM

Pick something from the Amazon top ten list :)

I'm hoping this will be for fun, enjoyable reads too - not just serious, prententious books. A mix would be good.

For example, I don't know how many people on here will have read Riders by Jilly Cooper, but it is surprisingly good! (I was forced to by my girlfriend!).

I'm never going to be asked to choose a book now, am I.... :unsure:

No no, The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous is much better! I'm not sure if I want the responsibility of being a picker. I read books and recommend them cos I loved it and want to see what others think, not because I feel it will make a 20 page discussion thread.

#55 Daley

Daley
  • Members
  • 13952 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:54 PM

Can I play please?

#56 Bushtopher

Bushtopher
  • Supporters
  • 3173 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 03:19 PM

No no, The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous is much better! I'm not sure if I want the responsibility of being a picker. I read books and recommend them cos I loved it and want to see what others think, not because I feel it will make a 20 page discussion thread.

I've not read that one.... have worked my way through Riders and Rivals (both hugely enjoyable) and have been told that I should read Polo next.

I'll still TMWMHJ on my shortlist though - another potential rllmuk reads nomination perhaps ;)

#57 Laine

Laine
  • Moderators
  • 19729 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 03:22 PM

I've not read that one.... have worked my way through Riders and Rivals (both hugely enjoyable) and have been told that I should read Polo next.

I'll still TMWMHJ on my shortlist though - another potential rllmuk reads nomination perhaps ;)

I would love that! JIlly Cooper is a great writer, very very witty. Although I'd go with Chances by Jackie Collins, a 5 decade spanning epic, from the mobsters of Chicago the the first super hotels of Vegas, and all the sex, violence and intrigue that entails.

#58 Zapp$ter

Zapp$ter
  • Members
  • 2224 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 03:29 PM

I wouldn't mind joining in as well. I'm looking to expand my reading some more, outside of my usual SF&F staples, which is something I've started doing already.

#59 camps

camps
  • Members
  • 832 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:39 PM

can I be added to the list

thanks

#60 Fondue

Fondue
  • Members
  • 15832 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:13 PM