• 10143 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:42 PM

Call a pile of raw mince Steak Taaartare and suddenly it's ok to eat. :P

#92 El Spatula

El Spatula
  • Members
  • 6880 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:10 PM

Um lemon? I'm sure you add lemon and something vinegary to "ceviche" the steak?

#93 Davros sock drawer

Davros sock drawer
  • Members
  • 40907 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:41 PM

It wasn't mentioned in any of the recipes I looked up. I followed a Rick Stein recipe which seems to be fairly traditional, and was very close to what I've had in restaurants.

#94 Poppalarge

Poppalarge
  • Members
  • 7709 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:11 AM

No, lemon would indeed "cook" the steak and turn it a pallid grey colour

#95 Scribblor

Scribblor
  • Members
  • 8615 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:55 AM

Call a pile of raw mince Steak Taaartare and suddenly it's ok to eat. :P

Personally I reckon it's the fact that steak tartare is delicious that makes it okay to eat.

#96 Blue

Blue
  • Supporters
  • 10143 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:05 AM

Attached File  0001996g.gif   15.24KB   8 downloads

#97 Scribblor

Scribblor
  • Members
  • 8615 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:14 AM

Silence, pleb. It's so tasty! Doesn't matter what it's called. "Raw mince with veg and egg" is just as delicious as "steak tartare".

Nice picture though. Worth a +1 with a raw egg on top.

#98 Davros sock drawer

Davros sock drawer
  • Members
  • 40907 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:33 AM

Blimey Blue, do you think Tartare Sauce is posh as well?

#99 Laine

Laine
  • Moderators
  • 19714 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:42 AM

I managed to have to my bacon and eggs without toasted muffins this morning. I had a portobello mushroom instead. I covered that in melted cheese though. Is cheese ok? If I give up pasta I need cheese.

#100 Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike
  • Committee Member
  • 17269 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:46 AM

Cheese is fine.

#101 Davros sock drawer

Davros sock drawer
  • Members
  • 40907 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:04 AM

I keep forgetting to buy cheese. It's been on my WARNING! CAUSES INSTANT FATNESS list for so long that it's hard for me to see it as a friend. I do love it so though.

Been eating a bit too much red meat this week, so going to pick up some fish today I think.

#102 Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike
  • Committee Member
  • 17269 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:09 AM

I try to mix it up, so roughly cycle red meat, poultry, fish for my evening meal on a three-day cycle. Obviously, I never actually do it successfully, but I bear it in mind.

And having cheese back in your good foods list really allows for a lot of variety: bored? Buy a new cheese!

#103 Laine

Laine
  • Moderators
  • 19714 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:11 AM

Great news! I've always been one who would rather just eat cheese on it's own than ruining it with bread or crackers. Am going for lentil curry with sag paneer for tea (thanks Davros!), though really it's not 'proper', still, it's not pasta so I am telling myself it's ok. :P

Oh, and a question for you marmite lovers. What are you speading your marmite on if you're carb free?

#104 Davros sock drawer

Davros sock drawer
  • Members
  • 40907 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:14 AM

Nice one Laine, let me know how it turns out.

And make with the photos people, don't make me do all the work here! ;)

#105 Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike
  • Committee Member
  • 17269 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:18 AM

My only problem with that is that presentation's never been my strong point. All my food tastes great, and looks like ass.

#106 Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike
  • Committee Member
  • 17269 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:21 PM

As an example, here's my lunch today.

Scrambled eggs and goat's cheese (seasoned with salt, pepper, a little paprika and thyme)
Leeks and mushrooms (fried in butter, salt, pepper)
smoked salmon
tomatoes

I had that with a beetroot side salad and a few bits of serrano ham I had in the fridge.

Attached File  IMG_20110422_124040.jpg   110.97KB   2 downloads

As you can see, I don't present well.

#107 Davros sock drawer

Davros sock drawer
  • Members
  • 40907 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:07 PM

This thread is about ideas though, and you've just reminded me how much I love scrambled egg and smoked salmon for breakfast, so it's all good.

#108 Fugu

Fugu
  • Members
  • 6814 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:37 PM

Well, I dunno if I'm doing this right but I just ate Goose eggs scrambled, steamed brocolli and baby sweetcorn and some pickled beetroot.

For breakfast I had some dried seaweed.

Posted Image

I've bought a bunch of dried beans and lentils though (as I like them), still not sure if this is okay to eat or too energy dense?

#109 Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike
  • Committee Member
  • 17269 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:43 PM

I don't see much wrong with that, Fugu - looks tasty and good. I suspect beans/lentils are a great-in-moderation thing by the technical book, but I don't worry too much about them here and there at all. I follow this: http://www.archevore.com/get-started/ and do from 1 to 10 pretty much always, 11 a bit, and ignore 12.

#110 Fugu

Fugu
  • Members
  • 6814 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:56 PM

In all fairness, it's not that crazy a notion. Veg tends to be macronutritionally poor (hence most diets saying 'eat as much as you like') and macronutrients are what tastes good. Furthermore, as plants can't move to defend themselves, a fair number have chemical defences which, while not dangerous to us, don't taste good. For example, I'm really sensitive to anything even a little bit bitter (hence spinach, cabbage etc. being out- but on the plus side it means I don't go out a-boozin'). A lot of other veg just doesn't have much of a flavour to it (butternut squash, leeks for example) and so to make it actually taste good requires some effort, cost and preparation time (not things I, for example, have in buckets, as a student).

Not trying to make excuses, I'm just saying it's not a petulant 'not eating your greens' sort of thing, it's that biologically veg has reasons to not be good-tasting.

Err, the vegetables we eat have been cultivated. We have been using eugenics for thousands of years on plants to make them better and better tasting etc. Vegetables inherently taste good, look at the number you can eat raw and enjoy them.

Also, you have just said butternut squash has no flavour. I find this extrordinary, you can make soup out of butternut squash packet with flavour and it requires few other ingredients. Roasted, butternut squash also has tonnes of flavour, no need to even use olive oil (although it improves it obviously).

#111 Fugu

Fugu
  • Members
  • 6814 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:58 PM

I don't see much wrong with that, Fugu - looks tasty and good. I suspect beans/lentils are a great-in-moderation thing by the technical book, but I don't worry too much about them here and there at all. I follow this: http://www.archevore.com/get-started/ and do from 1 to 10 pretty much always, 11 a bit, and ignore 12.

Oh my fuck. Have you actually eliminated sugar? I don't eat sweets and cakes or anything but I have about 8 cups of tea a day, no milk, but sugar yes.

:( :( :(

#112 Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike
  • Committee Member
  • 17269 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:22 PM

Mostly, yeah, I reckon. As a usual thing, anyway. So I never had sugar in tea, (I drink it white) don't do coffee, don't snack on chocolate bars, cakes etc. But I do have doughnuts when it's someone's birthday, and have desserts when I'm eating out.

Also, I don't eat grains, but I do still drink beer. I'm not 100% compliant.

#113 Fugu

Fugu
  • Members
  • 6814 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:37 PM

I'm kind of thinking this diet is impossible for a vegetarian if you can't eat legumes...

Eggs and mushrooms seems to be the only option for protein?

Hmm! Still, the consequences of sticking to it sound particularly yummy, I love veg.

#114 Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike
  • Committee Member
  • 17269 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:44 PM

Like I say, I don't really worry about beans, lentils etc.

#115 Tunisia

Tunisia
  • Members
  • 8538 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:27 PM

Has anybody used quinoa or amaranth as a replacement for rice? Does it work?

EDIT: apparently it's not bad, but a little carby.

#116 Davros sock drawer

Davros sock drawer
  • Members
  • 40907 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:46 PM

Also, you have just said butternut squash has no flavour. I find this extrordinary, you can make soup out of butternut squash packet with flavour and it requires few other ingredients. Roasted, butternut squash also has tonnes of flavour, no need to even use olive oil (although it improves it obviously).

+1 for that Fugu.

Your food above looks fine, but I think you're missing a trick in terms of making it a rounded "dish".

I'd have been inclined to ditch the broccoli and sweetcorn, and simply have boiled eggs (sliced), beetroot (sliced) and have it all tossed in a big salad of mixed leaves with a nice dressing. Fats are allowed, so olive oil, mayo etc are in.

Also, are seeds and nuts not on the agenda?

I'm either having Teriyaki Salmon and Asparagus tonight, or Insalata Tricolore. Is there such a thing as vegetarian mozarella?

#117 Fugu

Fugu
  • Members
  • 6814 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:52 PM

Your food above looks fine, but I think you're missing a trick in terms of making it a rounded "dish".

I'd have been inclined to ditch the broccoli and sweetcorn, and simply have boiled eggs (sliced), beetroot (sliced) and have it all tossed in a big salad of mixed leaves with a nice dressing. Fats are allowed, so olive oil, mayo etc are in.

Yeah but I figured Goose eggs were best for scrambling over anything else.

Also, are seeds and nuts not on the agenda?

I guess you could have a few pine nuts in a salad. But seriously, but what else do you eat them with?!? I also don't find them particularly filling.

Is there such a thing as vegetarian mozarella?

Yes. It's normally vegetarian in the supermarkets, especially the fresh stuff.

#118 fragglerock

fragglerock
  • Supporters
  • 8658 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:01 PM

I think I am going to jump on this protein/fat bandwagon and see what effect it has.

Some things that I have been reading/listening to

http://www.nytimes.c...&pagewanted=all
http://www.skepticality.com/index.php (currently linking to the right podcast, there is no permanent link till the next ep is published but that link MAY be http://www.skeptical...es/sn_Ep153.php in the future.)
Gonna get a copy of his book http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B003WUYOQ6

Shame that the 'paleo' diet shtick makes me want to gouge my eyes out!

#119 Davros sock drawer

Davros sock drawer
  • Members
  • 40907 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:04 PM

Good point, I've no idea what goose eggs are like boiled.

Mixed seeds and nuts are really good simply dry fried with chilli flakes and then liberally sprinkled with sea salt. Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, etc, etc. Nigella Lawson has a good spiced nut recipe. Good beer wine snack.

If you can get veggie mozarella then Tomato, Mozarella and avocado salad is on your menu as well Fugu!

DSCN3405.jpg

#120 Blue

Blue
  • Supporters
  • 10143 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:30 PM

Blimey Blue, do you think Tartare Sauce is posh as well?

I don't think steak tartare is posh, just stupid. However, Scribblor's post just read like it was coming from the guy in the pic, to me. :D

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users