Debut Trailer

Gameplay Footage

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Previews

Dragon's Dogma has the largest development team in Capcom history. The game is fully open-world, but has a main line story you can choose to follow or you can opt to explore at your own pace. Not much was divulged about the story itself, but it does have to do with an ancient sleeping dragon choosing a warrior to be his servent, and thus you must embark on a quest to see the dragon's will done.

You can choose between three classes: Strider (think ranger) a mage, or a fighter. You hit the field and will receive objectives and sidequests and can try and complete them alone, but you are best to recruit "pawns" to your cause. You can meet any NPC in towns or out in the wilderness and have them be AI controlled team mates who will greatly assist you in taking down mythological monsters (Griffons, Hydras) or raiding a temple or saving villagers, etc.

The gameplay is fast and action-orientated, but there is lots of strategy and RPG elements under the hood. In the playable demo, you can only choose the strider, where you have a light attack, strong attack and one special move for each, in this case, daggers. You also have a ranged attack (bow and arrow) and most interesting of all, a "grab button".

In the demo, you must kill a massive eagle headed griffon, and this is where the grab button comes in handy. You can choose to fight the griffon while it's flying in the air, you hack at it when it's on the ground, but you can also grab onto the griffon from any angle you want, beak, tail, legs, then proceed to hack at it until it throws you off, or comes crashing to the ground.

Meanwhile, your fighter and mage companions can help you in various ways, the mage can imbue your daggers or arrows with fire, which will be able to set the griffon ablaze, if this happens while the griffon is airborn, his feathers will burn up, and he'll come crashing down in spectacular fashion.

The fighter meanwhile, can call to you, and let you know they will give you a boost by holding out their arms. The will then catapult you into the sky, where you can grab onto the griffon in mid-flight. Awesome stuff.

Smaller enemies, such as goblins will also join in on the battle, and pester you while the griffon flies overhead and tries to dive bomb the entire party. Once you get the griffon down to the ground, you have to work hard to slay it while it's there, less it take to the skies again. Once dead however, the griffon will be covered in blood, and it's feathers will be ripped and torn, you really feel like you just barely won an epic battle.

The sound track is fully orchestrated, and amazing, think Shadow of the Colossus, but even more bombastic.

Graphically, the game is amazing, draw distances to die for, tons of dust/rocks debris shooting all over the place when the griffon comes crashing down...

One of the most awe-inspiring sights, was when the griffon was hovering in front of the sun, waiting to attack your party, every individual sunbeam was poking through the folds of it's feathers, making it look like the most majestic fucking creature ever.

Spoiler

http://uk.gamespot.c...stories;title;2
http://www.eurogamer...s-dogma-article

:)

#2 Curtis

Curtis
  • Members
  • 3305 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:52 PM

I got well excited thinking this was gonna be a MH clone. But it sounds more like a fantasy based Lost Planet 2 (i.e. 4-player kick the boss in), albeit with an expansive world to wander around on your own.

Hmm! Not sure. Too early to tell i suppose.

#3 catinthehat

catinthehat
  • Members
  • 4439 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:12 PM

I'm not investing my childrens' inheritance in that.

I'm out.

Posted Image

#4 Harsin

Harsin
  • Members
  • 15387 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:14 PM

You play a hero who communicates with a mysterious dragon. It sends you on quests across the land as it teaches you new skills. Your ultimate quest, however, is to track the dragon down and kill it.

It sounds like you play a massive ungrateful areshole.

#5 Kayin Amoh

Kayin Amoh
  • Members
  • 3544 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:20 PM

I got well excited thinking this was gonna be a MH clone. But it sounds more like a fantasy based Lost Planet 2 (i.e. 4-player kick the boss in), albeit with an expansive world to wander around on your own.

Hmm! Not sure. Too early to tell i suppose.

I'm interested, but unsure about what the game actually is.

Monster Hunter = Yay!

Lost Planet 2 = Boo!

Though I hear LP2 can actually be fun if you have some buds. I tried a quick blast of it solo, and the AI made it about nine million times worse than it may otherwise have been.

#6 Vemsie

Vemsie
  • Supporters
  • 28600 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:22 PM

I like the sound of the preview and the vids and screens are pretty cool, but it does sound like the type of game you need to play with a bunch of people. One to keep an eye on then.

#7 BacklashCop

BacklashCop
  • Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:24 PM

Honesly, as a Capcom fanboy - I think this looks cack.

#8 Curtis

Curtis
  • Members
  • 3305 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:29 PM

I like the sound of the preview and the vids and screens are pretty cool, but it does sound like the type of game you need to play with a bunch of people. One to keep an eye on then.

I certainly don't wanna be clambering up the back of a flappy-flappy Griffon, while trying to command 3 A.I. Sheva's with my d-pad! lol!

It's some way off yet, so we'll see how it looks toward the end of the year. In the meantime i/we have this tiny little game of a similar vein called 'Dark Souls' to look forward to. ;)

#9 VN1X

VN1X
  • Members
  • 11551 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:43 PM

This looks like Capcom is trying to westernize Demon's Souls. Don't know, could be good I guess.

#10 Leneux

Leneux
  • Members
  • 1717 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:56 PM

While this sounds like a mildly interesting premise (especially if there turns out to be multiplayer), but I don't like the artistic direction at all. Looks like it's trying to steal Demon's Souls' thunder except it has none of the atmosphere.

Initial impressions obviously, happy to be proved wrong.

#11 Cyhwuhx

Cyhwuhx
  • Supporters
  • 27720 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 05:25 PM

LOL

Capcom is dying, isn't it? :(

#12 The Sarge

The Sarge
  • Members
  • 9035 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:34 PM

New Trailer

And some screens

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Talk Show Host

Talk Show Host
  • Members
  • 6713 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:38 AM

If this ends up being a proper RPG and not an action RPG, it certainly looks to have much better battles than anything BioWare, Bethesda οr CD Projekt (since they are with the big boys now :D ) have every produced.

edit: Just read the quotes - not an RPG then.

Also, how are the graphics so seriously great?

#14 Harsin

Harsin
  • Members
  • 15387 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:26 PM

You've never seen pre-release screenshots before? By the time it actually comes out it'll look like this.

Posted Image

#15 Talk Show Host

Talk Show Host
  • Members
  • 6713 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:49 PM

You've never seen pre-release screenshots before? By the time it actually coems out it'll look like this.

Posted Image

Not judging by the videos. :wub:

#16 Curtis

Curtis
  • Members
  • 3305 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:05 PM

That new trailer is pretty impressive. When that Griffon swooped in, it definitely smelled like Monster Hunter.

We need confirmation that it's proper 4 player co-op though, cause as i posted before; 3 A.I. team-mates (which it is as standard) will suck ass!

#17 The Sarge

The Sarge
  • Members
  • 9035 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:57 PM

This is really starting to grow on me, I just hope the companion AI isn't a nuisance.

#18 The Sarge

The Sarge
  • Members
  • 9035 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:22 AM

E3 Trailer

18mins of gameplay footage

Gamespot stage demo

Looks great. :)

#19 Talk Show Host

Talk Show Host
  • Members
  • 6713 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:18 AM

It looks great!

If the difficulty is spot on and the co-op action plays good there's no way I won't be playing this.

#20 The Sarge

The Sarge
  • Members
  • 9035 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:59 PM

New Trailers

Looks good. :)

#21 Curtis

Curtis
  • Members
  • 3305 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:36 PM

Looking pretty tasty, actually. The Chimera is an awesome mythical creature. :wub:

I probably said it earlier in the thread, but this'll win/lose based on how meaty/weighty/visceral the hand-to-hand combat is.

#22 The Sarge

The Sarge
  • Members
  • 9035 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:40 AM

CC trailer

#23 VN1X

VN1X
  • Members
  • 11551 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:01 AM

The similarities this has with Demon's Souls is on the verge of plagiarism. Oh well, certainly looks bleak and rough around the edges!

#24 Talk Show Host

Talk Show Host
  • Members
  • 6713 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:59 AM

The similarities this has with Demon's Souls is on the verge of plagiarism. Oh well, certainly looks bleak and rough around the edges!

How so? Sure, there are some similarities but Dogma is not a glorified Monster Hunter.

It has total freedom, towns and villages, NPCs you can interact with, a proper story and a proper, intelligent party.

And you think that this trailer looks rough around the edges? :wacko:

It looks fucking amaze.

#25 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17798 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:16 AM

It looks fucking amaze.

I played the demo at Gamescom and it looked laughably incompetent tbh - and it looked, played, and sounded like a glorified Monster Hunter. Hopefully it was just a bad demo then.

#26 Talk Show Host

Talk Show Host
  • Members
  • 6713 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:55 AM

I played the demo at Gamescom and it looked laughably incompetent tbh - and it looked, played, and sounded like a glorified Monster Hunter. Hopefully it was just a bad demo then.

I played it too. It's still very early and the main problem was the horrible camera.

How does it sound like a glorified Monster Hunter with proper story and characters?

#27 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17798 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:02 AM

How does it sound like a glorified Monster Hunter with proper story and characters?

Well it was me and 3 ai-controlled characters hunting a monster and it felt and played a bit like Monster Hunter with the ability to climb on monsters. And a extremely generic art style that was obviously doing all it could to appeal to western tastes by being as standard western fantasy rpg fare as possible. I haven't bothered watching the trailers so all I had to go on was what I actually played, which reminded me of a glorified monster hunter. Fair enough if the rest of the game is completely different though. In short it didn't make a good impression, but as you said it was still early.

#28 Broker

Broker
  • Members
  • 12997 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:02 PM

New screenshots:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

More here.

#29 The Sarge

The Sarge
  • Members
  • 9035 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:51 PM

New Trailer,

#30 Harsin

Harsin
  • Members
  • 15387 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:00 PM

Dragonís Dogma release date set for for US, Europe

Capcom has announced a surprisingly staggered launch plan for upcoming action RPG Dragonís Dogma.

The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 game is due to hit the US on March 27, but will not arrive in Europe until May 1. A Japanese launch date has not been confirmed.

Capcom still a bunch of fucking idiots I see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users